PDA

View Full Version : MF Steve, This might interest you.

Muzikman
08-31-2007, 04:44 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07230/810485-140.stm

7 Springs downhill course.

Harley25
08-31-2007, 06:15 PM
I'd be game to go do that. Is anyone else interested?

Jpdst29
08-31-2007, 07:19 PM
hell yeah...that would be awesome to do...i have been looking for true offroad mountain biking trails around here, but alas i have found none...i am probably not looking hard enough though

Megamus
08-31-2007, 07:49 PM
hell yeah...that would be awesome to do...i have been looking for true offroad mountain biking trails around here, but alas i have found none...i am probably not looking hard enough though

I have a nice little mountain you can ride down in my back yard! I think it owuld qualify

MF Steve!
08-31-2007, 10:34 PM
I'm there! Jerome, if you're looking to ride let me know. I'm always down for a ride!

Jpdst29
09-01-2007, 09:49 AM
i heard settlers cabin park has 30+ miles of mountain bike trails, but i dont know if this is true or not...might be something to check out though

Muzikman
09-01-2007, 10:56 AM
They got a lot. That is one of the places I use to ride years ago.

trailerrails
09-01-2007, 12:09 PM
I am heading up to 7 springs tonight. I will be riding the DH course tomorrow. I don't think it is anything like Snowshoe, it looks like a downhill BMX track.

MF Steve!
09-01-2007, 01:18 PM
I am heading up to 7 springs tonight. I will be riding the DH course tomorrow. I don't think it is anything like Snowshoe, it looks like a downhill BMX track.

Have a good time, and let us now how it is. I'm very curious...and if it's worth the drive, I'm thinking about going up Monday.

Bill
09-01-2007, 02:35 PM
I am interested in seeing how it is myself. Take some pictures...

trailerrails
09-01-2007, 02:38 PM
Pictures, yea, good idea. Thanks, I am packing up right now.

r6cyclegal
09-03-2007, 05:04 PM
That sounds cool. I don't mtn bike but I'd go and take pics.

I could've checked it out this weekend since I was up there but didn't know about this till now.

MF Steve!
09-03-2007, 08:09 PM
I think next weekend might be the time to go. I'll have to get myself a shirt with some padding in it...maybe a pair of solo ass pads, as I only have shorts with padding. I think pants would be a good idea. I also would like to know what they have in the department of medical attention...because I just might need some by the end of the day.

Harley25
09-03-2007, 09:16 PM
Steve, get some dirtbike pants. That's what I have and they seem to have padding in all the right places.

Amie said she would be game to check it out too. Let's figure out when we are going so I can get the bikes ready! I might take the bmx too.

Sycotik Skier
09-03-2007, 09:44 PM
have any of you guys been out to rays mountain bike park in the winter over in cleveland? its a good time. Indoor north shore style stuff and a foam pit

Muzikman
09-03-2007, 09:53 PM
Pants are for sissies! Now, mtb shorts are nice, they shave your ass, literally.

For downhill, I would want clipless shoes/pedals, gloves and helmet. You won't be sitting on your ass enough to need padding.

here are some pics from their page.

http://cu.7springs.com/pages/gallery.php?gallery=297226

The rock isn't tall enough!

OverkillZJ
09-03-2007, 09:56 PM
I could get into this, all I have is an ol' Raleigh M60 though... a bike that old was before suspension was even sold with a bike, I always wanted to add rock-shock Judy's to it, never did.

MF Steve!
09-03-2007, 10:11 PM
Pants are for sissies! Now, mtb shorts are nice, they shave your ass, literally.

For downhill, I would want clipless shoes/pedals, gloves and helmet. You won't be sitting on your ass enough to need padding.

here are some pics from their page.

http://cu.7springs.com/pages/gallery.php?gallery=297226

The rock isn't tall enough!

No clips on the downhill for me. I like to be able to use my legs if needed. Look in the pix, you see no clips. I know all about what padded shorts do to you...but I'm still wearin pants. It's not about sitting on a padded ass, it's about falling on it!

The pix look good...and I'm wondering if that equipment they're showing is rental stuff. Same helmets, and padding, and all KONA bikes.

Harley25
09-03-2007, 10:19 PM
I've never used clipless pedals too much restriction for anything. And I'm guessing that at least the pads they are showing are the rental stuff. I might pick up a set of chest pads this week since thats the only thing I don't have. I've been off my bike for too long this time and I have the need for speed.

Muzikman
09-03-2007, 10:21 PM
No clips on the downhill for me. I like to be able to use my legs if needed. Look in the pix, you see no clips. I know all about what padded shorts do to you...but I'm still wearin pants. It's not about sitting on a padded ass, it's about falling on it!

The pix look good...and I'm wondering if that equipment they're showing is rental stuff. Same helmets, and padding, and all KONA bikes.

I always ran clipless, I would rather my feet stay on the pedals and they release easy enough if you should get into trouble.

MF Steve!
09-03-2007, 10:24 PM
I always ran clipless, I would rather my feet stay on the pedals and they release easy enough if you should get into trouble.

When I raced BMX I ran clips. This is a little different...I think of it more like motor-less motocross. I like using my foot, just like when you're riding actual MX.

OverkillZJ
09-03-2007, 10:28 PM
Clips = death in a bad situation. I'd rather wipe out separate from my bike and be able to bail.

Muzikman
09-03-2007, 10:33 PM
Maybe, I never raced downhill, so I don't know what the norm is. I have wiped out plenty of times with clipless pedals and never had a problem. I even ran low top shoes and never twisted an ankle.

As for clipless = death, I wouldn't go that far either. You can adjust how easy they release.

Come to think of it though, seeing as you are not riding back up the hill, clipless probably would be needed for downhill. Any time I rode, I had to ride to the top of the next hill (didn't get to take a lift up). One of the reasons I hated my full suspension Jekyll.

MF Steve!
09-03-2007, 10:36 PM
I can lock my rear platform for hill climbs... +1 for Manitou Metal RP rear! I was captain dank when I raced BMX, I know how to get outta my pedals easily...I'm not scared to run them, just think I'd be more comfortable without them on a downhill...

OverkillZJ
09-03-2007, 10:40 PM
As for clipless = death, I wouldn't go that far either. You can adjust how easy they release.

My bad, I was exaggerating, I just never liked them, or straps; made me feel uncomfortable and not in control if I needed my feet on the ground quickly.

Muzikman
09-03-2007, 10:43 PM
My bad, I was exaggerating, I just never liked them, or straps; made me feel uncomfortable and not in control if I needed my feet on the ground quickly.

I would never run toe clips. They scare the hell out of me.

They had no such beast when I had my Jekyll. Maybe if they did I would have kept it. In PA you have to pedal up hill as much as down so I stiffened the rear up so much that it might as well been a hardtail.

trailerrails
09-04-2007, 08:44 AM
Flat BMX pedals and some shin guards is all you need. I rode it with SPD clipless pedals and it was OK. Back in the day when I used to race downhill I would switch out between clipless and flat pedals depending on the course. Sometimes clipless helps you stay on the bike through real rough sections of trail. Sometimes it helps to be able to throw a foot down real fast for a quick dab. This course you could do either pedal.

The trail they made is pretty tame compared to what shnowshoe has. With that said, it is a lot of fun. The course claimed a few people, one severe concussion that ended up with an ambulance ride and a broken collar bone on the rock drop. THey have the ski patrole there year round so there is medial staff close by at all times. I

I rode a 5" travel cross country trail bike (Giant Reign XO) on the course and it worked fine. I wanted a little more relaxed geometry and a maybe another inch of suspension but the bike worked OK. I was able to jump everything there and have a lot of fun on that bike. A bigger travel bike may have made it too easy.

The double jumps are a little intimidating at first but after my second run I had them all dialed. The first double requires a 3-4 pedal strokes coming out of the berm to clear it. The second double is the most intimidating, all you need to do is not hit your brakes after you cross the road and you will float right over. The third and fourth doubles are at the bottom and they are a little tricky. Only because the first one is so small and the second on is over twice as big. You have to be carefull not to over shoot the first double and then coming up to the second one do not touch your brakes.

It is a fun course. Is it worth driving up there? Sure, it is a good days entertainment. It is not world class or anything but it is fun for everyone, beginners to experts. I encourage everyone to go as much as possible because if there is a good turnout, then they will be more inclined to expand and build more trails.

trailerrails
09-04-2007, 10:28 PM
Here is a video of the course:

http://www.sicklines.com/courses/pennsylvania/seven_springs

Jpdst29
09-04-2007, 10:40 PM
OMG...watching that video made me want to go right now...lol

MF Steve!
09-04-2007, 10:41 PM
Looks to be pretty decent. I think I'll give it a go...first time should be interesting.

Muzikman
09-04-2007, 11:02 PM
Cool...

The bottom half looks like a lot of fun. You missed the rock? :)

trailerrails
09-05-2007, 08:27 AM
The video was not me. I am not sure why he went around the rock. The rock jump was pretty cool but you do have to be going pretty slow to hit it right.