PDA

View Full Version : Ford powerstroke

Megamus
09-03-2007, 10:23 PM
Does anyone have any ford powerstrokes for sale? Looking for one up to 8000. Would prefer F-250 or 350 with extened cab or normal cab.

OverkillZJ
09-03-2007, 10:29 PM
Why powerstroke? They're nice trucks, but the Duramax and the Cummins have both been more powerful for as long as the PowerChoke has been in existence ;)

Megamus
09-03-2007, 10:55 PM
This is for my cousin... he is a "ford truck man"

If i had the choice i would pick cummins

I would rather be cummin then strokin

OverkillZJ
09-03-2007, 10:55 PM
LMAO... got it... they're nice trucks, just the weakest of the 3 diesels power wise under most circumstances.

MF Steve!
09-03-2007, 11:06 PM
It might be tough finding a decent one in that price range. Granted, high mileage will help you in the price category, but Matt can attest to the saying "you get what you pay for," with high mileage vehicles.

Megamus
09-03-2007, 11:12 PM
It might be tough finding a decent one in that price range. Granted, high mileage will help you in the price category, but Matt can attest to the saying "you get what you pay for," with high mileage vehicles.

Trust me i know what im getting into. Ive done it before... and it sucked.
High milage... rusty body.... being held together just engough to get it home. I am the biggest believer in "you get what you pay for" however some people cant afford spending big cash right now. But thanks for the heads up

OverkillZJ
09-03-2007, 11:17 PM
Matt can attest to the saying "you get what you pay for," with high mileage vehicles.

Abso-freakin'-lutely. My Suburban might be a good tow-rig now, but it left me stranded a few times after I bought it. It's GREAT for a 230,000+ mile vehicle, but keep in mind, mileage is wear, and diesel engines might wear slowly, but the parts around them don't. While my diesels going strong, the truck literally fell apart around the engine, and I got stranded out West when it's injection pump went out.

Given I have a GM 6.5TD, which in its time was an absolute revolution in fuel mileage if not reliability (at least compared to the mechanical 6.5 or the Cummins which didn't get electronic injection for awhile) - I've now replaced just about everything except for the internals of the engine itself.

If I were to do it again, I would (under ANY circumstances) save a minimum of another $4,000 to buy what I should have in the first place, which in my case was a duramax.

Point being: Sure he can buy a Powerstroke in that price range if he insists on it, but it's not really advisable. People buy diesels to keep them. Frankly, by they time they let them go, something is usually wrong, or about to be.

oros35
09-03-2007, 11:31 PM
That can be found. A buddy of mine found a nice one ton standard cab about a '97 reasonable miles that was near spotless for 8K. I think he got a heck of a deal, but they are out there.

The auto transmissions are the weak link. And pumping up the HP isn't that expensive if you keep it reasonable for the powerstrokes.

gonecheenin
09-04-2007, 06:34 AM
Why powerstroke? They're nice trucks, but the Duramax and the Cummins have both been more powerful for as long as the PowerChoke has been in existence ;)

Duramax & Cummins are definitely the King's of "affordable" max horsepower, but in stock (or nearly stock) form the three/four (kinda counting GM as two since they were in the midst of their power plant change in the late 90's) are actually about the same with the earlier powerstrokes like mine making a little more power then the competition (although granted not by much)

I think the Cummin's is the best diesel ever put in a light duty pickup, and I've been a GM man for years (Duramax's are proving to be unreal engines)
But I've also read about a 7.3 Stroke' that won a deisel drag contest in the 11's (anything can be fast with enough $ in it :083: )

gonecheenin
09-04-2007, 06:36 AM
The auto transmissions are the weak link. And pumping up the HP isn't that expensive if you keep it reasonable for the powerstrokes.

Thats why I bought a stick :unibrow:

DMG
09-11-2007, 12:46 PM
The Cummins is a great motor. Too bad they put them in dodges.

gonecheenin
09-11-2007, 01:52 PM

:082: :043: :023:

mxg342
09-11-2007, 02:47 PM

I agree. And I drive one.