PDA

View Full Version : Archery season coming up!

JeepSteeler
09-07-2007, 11:54 AM
I'm already gettin' geeked for it. Picked up some Easton Full Metal Jacket arrows with a couple of Luminoks. Anyone ever try Luminoks? They light up when you shoot them, kinda like a tracer bullet, and stay lit until you twist them off. Key for finding misguided arrows.

I have a 6 point buck foam target in the yard....scares the bejezus out of the dog! ha ha ha...

How many bowhunters we got on the board? Anyone know of a decent 3-D course around the burgh?:063:

NeonRyder
09-07-2007, 12:14 PM
1 week left!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This will be the first time i've been out bow-hunting in about 12yrs. I have missed it so much.

PatF10
09-07-2007, 12:34 PM
i should be goin out,

YZEATER
09-07-2007, 12:40 PM
i was thinking of making a post for archery.

here are some sites to find out about 3-d shoots.

http://www.3dshoots.com/

http://www.lmariana.com/3dshoots.htm

hopefully i can kill one with my bow this year. killed lots wth guns, but none with a bow.

andrew2516
09-07-2007, 12:53 PM
I'll probably be going out this year...I never heard of those arrows though, sounds like it would be worth the money.

JeepGeneral
09-07-2007, 01:04 PM
Luminocks are the shit, but they're expensive. My brother in law was just telling me he found a site online showing how to make them out of little lights for bobbers for like $3 a piece. I have to work opening day this year.

LBF
09-07-2007, 04:56 PM
i hadn't really planned on goin out this year until our new laborer at work told me that he's got a bunch of deer that come through his back yard...and that he'd like to see them gone....

He claims there's a 12 point running around there....

And no, I'm not telling ANYONE where it's at....lol

Schimiz3306
09-08-2007, 01:04 PM
I can't wait for bowseason. My season lasted about 30 minutes last year. Big bodied (weak frame) 9 pt came in before 7am around 22 yards away and I was going to pass figuring it's a 1/2 hour into the season. He turned away, and then made a u-turn and came in at about 20. From that point, it was game over. :045:

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a21/Schimiz3306/IMG_0103.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a21/Schimiz3306/IMG_0109.jpg

john00TJ
09-08-2007, 01:53 PM
cant wait till the season starts , however its still a little early IMHO to kill a monster ...cant wait till the ruts in and all the big guys come out looking for the good stuff ..

yamadog257
09-08-2007, 02:04 PM
its not nice to kill bambi!! just kiddin, i get that alot!! In the most honorable words of my beloved mentor Ted Nugent "KILL EM AND GRILL EM". Get yer hunt on!!

JeepSteeler
09-08-2007, 03:06 PM
Luminocks are the shit, but they're expensive. My brother in law was just telling me he found a site online showing how to make them out of little lights for bobbers for like $3 a piece. I have to work opening day this year.

Yep, they are expensive, like $10 a pop. Lucky for me I have a hookup and got a handful for free. Score!

What's the preferred broadhead with you guys - fixed, mechanical, etc?

I went with a Muzzy x-3 fixed last year, thinking of going to Grim Reaper mechanicals this year tho....

Schimiz3306
09-08-2007, 08:03 PM
its not nice to kill bambi!! just kiddin, i get that alot!! In the most honorable words of my beloved mentor Ted Nugent "KILL EM AND GRILL EM". Get yer hunt on!!

Or Nuge's famous, "RACK 'EM, WHACK 'EM, PACK 'EM, AND STACK 'EM."

yamadog257
09-09-2007, 08:57 AM
Broadheads--- Rocket hammerheads. makes and leaves a 2" diameter cutting path. 2"!!!!!! No other broadhead on the market has that large of a cut. no problem finding blood there. left a hole in my deer so large last year i put a pop can in the hole. they are mechanical so they will fly a little more like a field tip. paired with a luminok and you got the best pair in the business. everyone has their own opinion about broadheads but I have been using them for almost 10 years and have not had a deer get away, even when the shot was not perfect. it leaves such a big hole your bound to catch some sort of vital. Oh and --shoot a HOYT! Good Luck!!

Schimiz3306
09-09-2007, 09:44 AM
Broadheads--- Rocket hammerheads. makes and leaves a 2" diameter cutting path. 2"!!!!!! No other broadhead on the market has that large of a cut. no problem finding blood there. left a hole in my deer so large last year i put a pop can in the hole. they are mechanical so they will fly a little more like a field tip. paired with a luminok and you got the best pair in the business. everyone has their own opinion about broadheads but I have been using them for almost 10 years and have not had a deer get away, even when the shot was not perfect. it leaves such a big hole your bound to catch some sort of vital. Oh and --shoot a HOYT! Good Luck!!

I've been shooting 100 grain slick tricks and while their cutting diameter is only 1 1/16" I think, they are lethal. I've heard stories about them penetrating through a front shoulder. And since they're fixed, the blades don't get all mangled and bent after you shoot, which I had happen with my old Spitfire 2 1/2" expandables.

yamadog257
09-09-2007, 10:01 AM
no doubt that the mechanicl tips can bend and tweak inside the animal. fixed and mechanical both have pros and cons. i used to shoot muzzy fixed and blew the broadhead clean through the front shoulder on a walking deer into the lungs. i got lucky but like the old saying goes, you should't have shot him there. so fixed definetely have more strength but..... give me a bigger pass through hole any day over strength. you can kill a deer with a field tip if you hit him in the right place. the whole key to the lesson kids is shot placement not whats on the end of arrow. although it doesn't hurt to have a monster hole just in case!! nobodies perfect! you can't lose with any broadhead you choose, it is just a personal preference and which broadhead shots the best in your bow, just practice lots for that perfect shot placement to better serve your tracking efforts and be more humane for the animal. USE YOUR HEAD!! Hope everyone has a fruitful season!

JeepSteeler
09-09-2007, 06:58 PM
There's a new kind of broadhead with a piston on the end that when pushed in by contact the blades deploy. Look pretty strong compared to some other mechanicals I have used. Expensive of course, but looks like I might try em out. Saw in F&S mag last month.

I've preferred fixed usually - I have broke mechanicals before. This might change my mind.

Easton Full Metal Jackets with luminoks and some kinda whup azz on the end coming out of my old but true High Country are my ticket now. I got a Hoyt on the way...

Dang I wish I had a place to hunt in Allgh Cty. My yard is too small!

LBF
09-10-2007, 09:43 PM
I've been using 125 grain Muzzy fixed blades for awhile now...

I have yet to take a deer with a bow, I've gone out a couple times but never really got an opportunity when I've been out to tag one. Most of the time I've been busy with work and college, plus often having trouble finding a place to hunt, and not having a treestand...

I just don't get out there much, I know that if I see one during gun season it's as good as in the back of the truck, so I never put too much effort into bow season, just went out when I could.

mxg342
09-10-2007, 10:42 PM
I switch to mechanicals a couple of years ago.

100 gr spitfires in front of gold tip arrows with eaton nocks (if you buy gold tips throw the nocks that come with them in the garbage. I have had 50% of mine split at the nock)

All coming from a Bowtech mighty mite. 31" axle to axle.

This year I'm on the hunt for my 15th PA buck and the 12th with the bow.

YZEATER
09-11-2007, 08:47 AM
less then 3 weeks. can't wait.

jeepxj3
09-11-2007, 08:52 AM
My stepdad is head of the white tail management association in Alleghany County, so he gets to hunt in the backyard. He's got a camera attached to a tree and has been checking out the local deer that pass by. As soon as he sends me pics ill post them up.

JeepSteeler
09-11-2007, 09:34 AM
my yard is just a little too urban. I get big deer all the time and there are some woods, but I'm afraid of an injured deer stumbling out on Babcock blvd and causing a wreck or dying on a neighbor's porch. Last year had a 10 point maul a little pine tree in my yard. All I could do is watch...aaarrrrggghhhh.......

avenged7foldhc
09-11-2007, 04:39 PM
my lifelong goal is to kill a dear with one of these :

http://www.thompsonoutdoors.com/images/kabar5inchblackfighting.jpg

i figure if i get a good treestand spot and enough bait, get the deer right under me. jump out of the stand onto his back and start a'stabbin'!!!!

r6cyclegal
09-11-2007, 04:54 PM
My friend ran down and killed a deer with a knife.
OK so he may have shot it with an arrow first but it was still running fast.

LBF
09-11-2007, 09:30 PM
my lifelong goal is to kill a dear with one of these :

http://www.thompsonoutdoors.com/images/kabar5inchblackfighting.jpg

i figure if i get a good treestand spot and enough bait, get the deer right under me. jump out of the stand onto his back and start a'stabbin'!!!!
I've said for the past couple years that one day I'm gonna end up giving that a try...

Rifle is too easy, if I can see it, I can kill it.

Shotgun is almost as easy.

I'm hoping to move on to pistol in the next year or two to try to increase the challenge somewhat...and not a TC type, I'm talkin standard revolver.

Then I'm gonna focus on bow until that gets too easy

Then it's knife time.

mxg342
09-11-2007, 09:51 PM
I've said for the past couple years that one day I'm gonna end up giving that a try...

I'm hoping to move on to pistol in the next year or two to try to increase the challenge somewhat...and not a TC type, I'm talkin standard revolver.

Then it's knife time.

Two words flint lock.......

MF Steve!
09-11-2007, 09:57 PM

Then it's knife time.

Shotgun is just as/if not easier than rifle. You're closer...so error is more forgiving (not that you should have any) Sabot slugs will shred a car door...imagine the hole it puts in a deers shoulder!

Pistol is also just as easy as rifle...big revolver, good scope = DED.

Archery is gonna be your biggest challenge, but if that gets to easy, then just increase the difficulty by switching over to a recurve. THATS SOME TOUGH HUNTIN.

LBF
09-12-2007, 08:51 PM
Shotgun is just as/if not easier than rifle. You're closer...so error is more forgiving (not that you should have any) Sabot slugs will shred a car door...imagine the hole it puts in a deers shoulder!

Pistol is also just as easy as rifle...big revolver, good scope = DED.

Archery is gonna be your biggest challenge, but if that gets to easy, then just increase the difficulty by switching over to a recurve. THATS SOME TOUGH HUNTIN.
I say shotgun is almost as easy simply because even with a rifled slug barrel, you pretty much end up needing to get them closer than 100 yards, and there have been times where places I've hunted I've seen longer shots than that.

With my rifle, if it's under 300 yards, it's definitly dead.

Pistol I know I'm gonna have to be closer than shotgun, so I rule out more long distance shooting.

Bow I have to be closer yet.

mxg342
09-30-2007, 07:31 PM
Well who went out and how'd ya do?

YZEATER
10-01-2007, 07:27 AM
i missed a doe. :( well actually i just nicked the top of her back. i found a little bit of hair on my arrow and a tiny bit of blood. a hawk tried to eat me.

jeepxj3
10-01-2007, 09:09 AM
My stepdad allready got one.

He's head of the White Tail Management Association in our area, so he got prime location, which is pretty much in his backyard. He's got a camera that captures any movement in the area, and has been tracking a decent buck. So hopfully he will snag it soon.

JeepGeneral
10-01-2007, 09:11 AM
4 baldies, but I only got out the last hour Saturday.

PatF10
10-01-2007, 09:20 AM
saw 12 deer total in the morning, 2 bucks one really nice 8 point. Id say somthing like 17inches wide or so. I was at full draw for 3-5 minutes he never gave me a shot, stayed behind some trees. I could have had a doe, but didnt have my tags. Though i like to get some deer in rifle.

And if 300 yards is to easy for rilfe start taking longer shots!

mxg342
10-01-2007, 12:24 PM
Well I only hunted the evening. I got in at 5pm and saw 11 deer. 4 doe and 7 buck (at least 4 legal). I ended up shooting the bigger of the bucks at 7:15pm. 8pt 18" outside spread.

Not too bad for 2hrs and 15 min of hunting

PatF10
10-01-2007, 03:12 PM
Congrats, i cant wait to get out again. I know where i need to go to be in a better position this time. Its just hard to go home every weekend. I cant wait till the rut starts goin, see if more bucks dont come out

Schimiz3306
10-17-2007, 10:45 AM
Not to bring a dead thread back to life, but has anyone had any luck? I was out last night and saw 1 mature doe and 2 little fuzzballs.

jeepxj3
10-17-2007, 11:02 AM
step dad took out another doe. He leaves the buck for rilfe, unless he comes across one he cant refuse.

YZEATER
10-17-2007, 11:03 AM
i got a little button buck on the 6th. 15 yard shot. first with a bow.

Schimiz3306
10-17-2007, 11:07 AM
i got a little button buck on the 6th. 15 yard shot. first with a bow.

Congrats man! Isn't it something...the first one is always something to remember. First deer taken with a bow with an 8 yard shot on a 6-pt 4 years ago. I didn't know he was there until he was directly under my tree. Sort of weird being that close to deer...

YZEATER
10-17-2007, 11:08 AM
thanks. i've had'em in realllllly close with a rifle, but never the bow.

JeepSteeler
10-17-2007, 12:16 PM
Congrat's to those who have scored. I've been out a couple of times - had a forkhorn dead to rights for about an hour, but obviously he must of known he was illegal to shoot! Passed on a few small doe. Nice 6 pointer wouldn't come closer than 100 yds. So I'll be going out again once it gets cooler and more leaves drop. My bro in law hit an 8 point in the chest but must have narrowly missed the lungs. Tracked it for 2 days with 6 people for over 2 miles and still can't find it. Hopefully somebody got it....

Schimiz3306
10-17-2007, 12:25 PM
It's going to get fun once the rut comes in. I'm able to hunt Tuesday nights, Thursday nights, all day Friday, and most Saturdays....hopefully it pays off soon! Temps need to drop about 15-20 degrees though..

JeepSteeler
10-17-2007, 03:56 PM
It's going to get fun once the rut comes in. I'm able to hunt Tuesday nights, Thursday nights, all day Friday, and most Saturdays....hopefully it pays off soon! Temps need to drop about 15-20 degrees though..

Exactly. I'm hoping this warm weather doesn't push the prime rut way past archery season. I'd rather not be in the woods for rifle if I could help it. I wish I could hunt during the week but my camp is 100 miles away near Titusville and my other spot is north of Mercer. Dark by the time I get there.

LBF
10-17-2007, 10:15 PM
Congrats to those who've scored.

I haven't really had a chance to make it out yet, but it hasn't really mattered. Right before the season started the deer stopped comin by where I was all set to sit (shoehorned in where I could get permission, not a whole lot of room) an haven't shown up again yet. Hopin that maybe once the rut kicks in or when the weather cools an stays that way that they'll come back.

YZEATER
10-29-2007, 07:40 AM
woooo hooo, got my first buck with a bow. saturday morning at 8:00 this buck came almost running too me. got him to stop and shot him at about 15-20 yards. he fell at about 50-60 yards.

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p276/YZEATER/BOW%20BUCK%2007/BUCK1.jpg

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p276/YZEATER/BOW%20BUCK%2007/BUCK2.jpg

JeepGeneral
10-29-2007, 09:41 AM
Congratulations that's an awesome first buck! If you're anything like me you'll be hooked for life, and your rifle will get awfully lonely in the gun cabinet!

Schimiz3306
10-29-2007, 09:42 AM
Congrats man! I didn't get a chance to put time in this past weekend, but this week towards the end I will be hunting like hell. I think with this cold weather drop, it could get really, really good this coming week.

mxg342
10-29-2007, 05:08 PM
nice.

Schimiz3306
11-05-2007, 01:15 AM
Pictures from yesterday. My brother and JeepGeneral's brother in law.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a21/Schimiz3306/IMG_0103-1.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a21/Schimiz3306/MattSchimizziArcheryBuckNovember-1.jpg

^ We have been all after this deer all season. Two nights before this, we saw on our trail cameras what looked on the right side of his face to be war wounds from a sparring battle. Turns out, it was a broadhead! Some sick bastard (or someone with a terrible shot) put one in his face and he amazingly survived. My Uncle's neighbor who is a vet came down to remove it. Inside spread is 17 1/8".

YZEATER
11-05-2007, 07:55 AM
wow, what a spread. very nice deer.

jackb1
11-05-2007, 12:07 PM
I took a shot at one yesterday... with my camera. Someone else previously took a shot though. He has an arrow slowing him significantly. I didn't think there was anywhere near me to hunt.

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q294/jeepgod01/DSC02310.jpg?t=1194278850

MemorEsto
11-05-2007, 12:17 PM
Nice spread... i'm hoping for one that size near my stand judging by the scrapes on the size of the trees.

mxg342
11-07-2007, 06:41 PM
I found this one in my back yard on the trail camera. Too bad I'm done for the year.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b344/mxg342/Trail%20Camera%20Fall%202007/128.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b344/mxg342/Trail%20Camera%20Fall%202007/129.jpg

mxg342
11-07-2007, 06:45 PM
And this is the one I killed on the first day

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b344/mxg342/100_0758.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b344/mxg342/100_0747.jpg

YZEATER
11-07-2007, 07:03 PM
I found this one in my back yard on the trail camera. Too bad I'm done for the year.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b344/mxg342/Trail%20Camera%20Fall%202007/128.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b344/mxg342/Trail%20Camera%20Fall%202007/129.jpg

wow. my buddy needs a bow buck, want him to come down and take care of him before he eats some flowers? lol.

nice kill.

always broke
11-08-2007, 08:54 AM
Matt, How many years in a row have you gotten a buck in PA?

MF Steve!
11-08-2007, 09:00 AM
Brother stuck a big one last night w/ his crossbow. Now I get to spend my morning trailing it while he is at school.

mxg342
11-08-2007, 10:00 AM
Matt, How many years in a row have you gotten a buck in PA?

The only year I didn't shoot one was the first year of the point restrictions. And I think I have only killed 2 or 3 with a rifle.

JeepSteeler
11-08-2007, 05:03 PM
Nailed a pretty big 8 point yesterday, and a doe on Monday. Body on the buck went about 220lbs field dressed. That's pretty big for a Titusville buck. I'll get a pic up tomorrow.