PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy...

JeepGeneral
04-18-2005, 05:30 PM
With the tax return coming in, I'm starting to piece together a Dana 44 rear axle for my TJ. So far I've got the housing accounted for, but need just about everything else. I've looked around for the best prices, but can't find any place that stands out.

I need:

Carrier for 4.88s - I've found them from $52 to $75 which isn't bad. However, I may go with a Detroit truetrac which I found for $318.

4.88 R&P for Dana 30 and Dana 44 - Randy's Ring and Pinion has them (Yukon) as a combo for $418 with install kits.

Axle shafts - 4x4 Groupbuy has USA alloys for $140 a piece (Mopar factory are $280 a piece at cost!!!)

If anyone knows of a better prices or places with outstanding service thats worth the extra money, I'd appreciate hearing it. Also, if you have any experience with any of these items let me know.

Tom

Bill
04-18-2005, 07:25 PM
www.4x4rockshop.com

Email Mike the owner. Tell him the prices you are getting and he will surely beat them. He is a great guy to deal with too.

There is always Supplee as well. He ALWAYS takes care of me when I call. He is a top-notch supplier as well and a straight shooter. He will beat anyones prices and if for some reason he cannot he will tell you outright.

Hope that helps.

-Bill

JeepGeneral
04-18-2005, 07:59 PM
Thanks for the input Bill.

I checked out 4x4rockshop and the shafts were the same and the truetrac was about $400 (I don't know where I got $318 from before, the lowest I could find it again for was $370).

I don't think anyone can beat Randy's R&P package deal, nobody is even close with the parts separate.

I'll call Bob Supplee in the morning.

Any other suggestions?

Tom

OverkillZJ
04-18-2005, 08:37 PM
Screw the true track - it's no better than a limited slip. Detroit soft locker is now the "full blown" deteroit locker and it's silent as can be. Much more friendly than the older versions, but just as strong and reliable than ever.

dp
04-18-2005, 09:10 PM
Screw the true track - it's no better than a limited slip. Detroit soft locker is now the "full blown" deteroit locker and it's silent as can be. Much more friendly than the older versions, but just as strong and reliable than ever.

OPINION not FACT. :roll:

Cebby
04-18-2005, 09:39 PM
www.performanceoffroadcenter.com

Talk to Alex. I got my Warn 9.5ti and my ARB lockers from him among other things. He beat everyone's price by a bunch.

1-866-540-PORC(7672)

Mention you got his name from someone on Pirate4x4.

OverkillZJ
04-18-2005, 11:11 PM

OPINION not FACT. :roll:\

Actually, a true track is a limited slip, there's no question about it. Here's some info from the Detroit web site
Differentials - Limited Slip Type (Torque - Sensitive)
Tractech’s limited slip differentials are the Detroit Truetrac® brand, and the Suretrac® and the Detroit LSD™ brands (same product, different market segments). They provide a controlled amount of resistance to a one-wheel spinout, so that the other wheel (with traction) receives sufficient power to keep the vehicle moving.

And about the Detroit Soft-Locker, here's a clip from a random website I searched for on Google (http://www.barneymc.com/toy_root/techtalk/drivline/diffs.htm)
-The Soft Locker is "awesome" [and quite quiet compared to the regular Detroit].

And Dave, you're right, almost everything is an opinion. I thought that this guy might be intersted in hearing from somone who has actually used the products he's asking about, not someone who's simply looking to argue.

JeepGeneral
04-19-2005, 09:41 AM

I looked into the Softlocker as well, however my Jeep is still my daily driver in the summers and I drive long distances. For the amount I wheel, a limited slip will work best for me.

Thanks for all the recommendations. I've been checking around at each place and finding some great info/prices.

Tom

OverkillZJ
04-19-2005, 10:00 AM
True trac's not a bad option at all, does pretty darn well for what it is! And the price you found is darn good, especially considering it's not a lunchbox locker but a full carrier replacement. If the deciding factor is that it's your DD though, I wouldn't worry about the soft locker, I run the "older clunkier" version in the ZJ which I put 10,000 miles on this year. The only time I know that it's back there is if I power through a turn, then I squeel a tire. Other than that it's perfectly silent. I'm not trying to push you either way, just providing you with some info I've learned over the last year or so in my axle dealings 8)

To add another vendor recomendation: Almost every part I get is through kolak@aol.com - he has some very good distributers and prices, and his service can't be beat.

Cebby
04-19-2005, 10:17 AM
Another option is the Aussie Locker (also a lunchbox locker)

OverkillZJ
04-19-2005, 10:41 AM
Another option is the Aussie Locker (also a lunchbox locker)

I've heard nothing but good things about them, looks to be a lot like the no-slip design, and I think in the 2-$250 range. If you're not going to wheel (too) hard and don't really need a carrier replacment locker that's a good option too. There's some great info on them at www.pirate4x4.com

I'm also a no slip fan even though I just blew one up, but for the price Aussie seems to be taking the cake.

jdetar
04-19-2005, 11:04 AM
I'd be surprised if you find better pricing and service than Randy's R&P. I've bought from them a lot in the past. Those guys are great. Good technical staff (they are the salesmen) good product, and good price.

I second the Aussie. I was one of their first orders and got mine for under $200 in their pre-launch. I haven't actually run it yet (project mayhem has been under way for a few years now) but the quality and workmanship of the materials are top notch. I run the aussie in the front, and spooled rear. I'd say if you're looking for an automatic lunchbox Aussie is the way to go.

JeepGeneral
04-19-2005, 11:42 AM
The Aussie or No slip was my first choice. I have the no slip in my front axle and love it. However, I am building the axle from scratch and on a budget so a locker or LS that replaces the carrier will lighten the load some.

Jason, it's good to see you on the boards again. I stopped at Ralph's on Friday, and the sami is coming along nicely. I can't wait for its debut (hopefully before Zukimelt, I'll be in Cancun that week)

Thanks again for all your comments/help.

Tom

jdetar
04-19-2005, 12:08 PM
Thanks Tom.. I've been lurking since it started I just haven't posted until now. Ralph's doing a great job. Wish I had the time to help out more but I have nothing but confidence in him. And we definitely should be up and running before the melt. My trailer was delivered today so I'm ready! 8)

If you stick with the same tire size you have now (fear of breaking stuff) you shouldn't have a problem with a spool if you can deal with the chirping. It's the cheapest way from where you're going and it's very predictable!

OverkillZJ
04-19-2005, 03:51 PM
I completely forgot:

Jason, I agree, Randy's R&P is great, very knowledgable... I've gotten many hard to find parts there with good shipping and all. Then I learned that almost every other distributer (well, the ones I've worked with anyway) use Randy's as a drop shipper and play middle-man to get the parts from 10-30% off. Check out www.peakempire. If you mention you're a MallCrawlin member (just register, haha) you can get 10% off.

Hell, register at mallcrawlin and PM "PeakZJ" he's one of the head guys, amazing deals.

So now that we've overloaded you with sources... I'll shut up now...

dp
04-19-2005, 06:09 PM
And Dave, you're right, almost everything is an opinion. I thought that this guy might be intersted in hearing from somone who has actually used the products he's asking about, not someone who's simply looking to argue.

My bad -- I guess I was trying to start an arguement with you, but I must have gotten side-tracked and never returned to thoroughly p*ss you off. :D

OverkillZJ
04-19-2005, 07:27 PM

My bad -- I guess I was trying to start an arguement with you, but I must have gotten side-tracked and never returned to thoroughly p*ss you off. :D

LMAO, that was just funny nomatter how I look at it :lol:

Wrecker
04-19-2005, 09:49 PM
We use Randy's for our trucks and customer vehicles. Great service and prices are to beat. IF YOU ORDER SOON ASK ABOUT A CALENDER. Randy has the best girls.

OverkillZJ
04-19-2005, 10:01 PM
We use Randy's for our trucks and customer vehicles. Great service and prices are to beat. IF YOU ORDER SOON ASK ABOUT A CALENDER. Randy has the best girls.

Damn you... I ordered my new locker yesterday.... COULDN'T YOU POST THIS YESTERDAY!?

Wrecker
04-19-2005, 10:04 PM
Call back and ask. I had to steal mine from work. Love the red heads.

xsjado
04-19-2005, 10:52 PM

Damn you... I ordered my new locker yesterday.... COULDN'T YOU POST THIS YESTERDAY!?

HAHAHAHAHAH