PDA

View Full Version : Manditory General Discission

jeepxj3
10-22-2007, 03:27 PM
Can we make it MANDITORY that new members must post at least 5 times in general discussion before they can move on and post in the other forums?

I know other forums have it, and its really a good idea, that way they will see the "Introduce Yourself Thread".

OverkillZJ
10-22-2007, 03:41 PM
Steve suggested this and I wasn't a fan at the time, but yeah, I'll talk to the other admins and we'll figure something out about this.

MF Steve!
10-22-2007, 03:41 PM
Can we make it MANDITORY that new members must post at least 5 times in general discussion before they can move on and post in the other forums?

I know other forums have it, and its really a good idea, that way they will see the "Introduce Yourself Thread".

See my "can we..." thread in here. I already suggested at minimum we post up the "new members introfuktion" thread on the main page somewhere, making that a mandatory first post. I find it somewhat annoying that people just happen to "find" this place only to try to do nothing but buy/sell stuff, and have no input towards the general idea of this forum, off-roading. If it took another admin, or moderator, just to oversee this process, I'd volunteer for it.

jeepxj3
10-22-2007, 04:20 PM
yeah I didnt check out your thread yet Steve, but this is becoming an on going problem recently, and needs to be adressed.

XJchris98
10-22-2007, 04:30 PM
I understand where you guys are coming from...but saying people should contribute to the general idea of this forum (off-roading) is like comparing apples to oranges. Especially since the forum is just more of an off-topic discussion board than a off-roading forum.

Making them introduce themselves in the new members section is fine...but its still not going to stop the people from just coming on to buy/sell stuff or b9tch about other things. Anyone remember the people that joined up last fall when we tried to plan that run in kittanning with YZeater and friends? Mmmmmhmm, havnt heard from them since. They joined up to cause a fuss and havnt returned yet. But like I said, not trying to be a d8ck, I just dont see the point in making the admins do more work for something that really wont change much anyways. :021:

stesul411
10-22-2007, 04:50 PM
I say do at least a new member intro before you can post elsewhere. I recently joined Steeler Nation and you have to be authenticated and do 5 posts before you can even get into some of the sectons.

MF Steve!
10-22-2007, 04:54 PM
I understand where you guys are coming from...but saying people should contribute to the general idea of this forum (off-roading) is like comparing apples to oranges. Especially since the forum is just more of an off-topic discussion board than a off-roading forum.

Making them introduce themselves in the new members section is fine...but its still not going to stop the people from just coming on to buy/sell stuff or b9tch about other things. Anyone remember the people that joined up last fall when we tried to plan that run in kittanning with YZeater and friends? Mmmmmhmm, havnt heard from them since. They joined up to cause a fuss and havnt returned yet. But like I said, not trying to be a d8ck, I just dont see the point in making the admins do more work for something that really wont change much anyways. :021:

You obviously overlooked 2/3 of what I typed. I said I would volunteer to babysit the newbs so the current admins had no extra load to deal with. Obviously I would have no gripe about doing what I could...look at how many times I copy and paste a link to the "New Members Introduction" thread. Just about every new member who posts up out of nowhere gets that from me.

Would you wanna buy something from someone on here that you never heard a peep from? I sure as hell wouldn't, and have not. I think even if you're not here to contribute to the topic, and you're just going to sell your junk, you should still have to let people know who the hell you are, and if you're actually a member of the off-roading scene, or just selling hot shit you jacked from your ex-best friends TJ which is now sitting on blocks.

Look at it like a meet & greet...you're not gonna show up and just start b.s.ing w/ someone you don't know. At least have the common courtesy to introduce yourself. That's all I'm getting at. The majority of the forums out there insist you do this, obviously it's for a reason.

Bill
10-22-2007, 04:57 PM
I made a few suggestions in the Moderator / Admin Forum. I think that is the best place to discuss this issue to prevent a lot of the folks here from taking offense to these ideas.

It is what it is. I think that something needs done. The Admins should look into it and the members here should trust the Admin staff to make the right decision for the forum. I mean, hey... We have made it to this point, right?

Muzikman
10-22-2007, 05:00 PM
The Admins should look into it and the members here should trust the Admin staff to make the right decision for the forum.

Wow, you think we as users put that much trust in you guys? Come on! ;)

Bill
10-22-2007, 05:02 PM

For the most part we tend to be complimented on the way we run things around here. I dont hear of too many complaints and the ones that I do hear tend to be unjustified.

I wish things could stay status quo, but as the forum membership increases a little fine tuning needs to be done here and there.

MF Steve!
10-22-2007, 05:09 PM
I'm sure you guys will come up with something. This place has come a long way in the 4 or so years I've been around here. I guess you could say it's easy to overlook little stuff like this, especially while not expecting membership to grow as quickly as it has.

Wrecker
10-22-2007, 05:29 PM
For the most part we tend to be complimented on the way we run things around here. I dont hear of too many complaints and the ones that I do hear tend to be unjustified.

I wish things could stay status quo, but as the forum membership increases a little fine tuning needs to be done here and there.

Momma told me if I have nothing nice to say then dont say anything.

oros35
10-22-2007, 09:59 PM
Ditto :023: :038: :038:

Bill
10-23-2007, 06:45 AM

Too bad there are not more people on this board that dont abide by that rule. :102:

joshs1ofakindxj
10-23-2007, 02:18 PM

users shouldnt fear their moderators and admin, moderators and admin shoudl fear their users! :117:

Bill
10-23-2007, 03:52 PM
Why does fear have to factor into this at all?

r6cyclegal
10-23-2007, 04:07 PM
Because we are a scary bunch of people!!

Bill
10-23-2007, 07:09 PM
It is Halloween season...

r6cyclegal
10-24-2007, 11:23 AM
Give me candy!!!!!!

Dr.LowLock
10-27-2007, 08:08 AM
5 posts? im a moderator at another forum and you can post in the general section, but to get past that, you have to have 50 posts and my approval. then theres another section that you need 1000 posts and a general vote. i know my way is a litle extreme, but............ you should have a min post count, at least to keep spammers at bay.

OverkillZJ
10-27-2007, 12:40 PM
Spammers are no longer an issue here, and 50 / 1,000 posts would keep most legit posters out... This is a pretty small forum folks, don't make a fix for a problem we might now have :)

Dr.LowLock
10-28-2007, 01:53 PM
Spammers are no longer an issue here, and 50 / 1,000 posts would keep most legit posters out... This is a pretty small forum folks, don't make a fix for a problem we might now have :)

spammers, trolls and troublemakers is what i meant.

Bill
10-28-2007, 02:13 PM
We have utilized some other protocols to handle the spammers. We had a problem here for a minute or two, but (knock on wood) it hasn't been bad since we initiated the new protocol.

Stryker
10-28-2007, 05:04 PM
As a newbie, i appreciate the input that steve had for me, although my thread ran amok for a few minutes...no fault of anyone in particular, but i understand the mindset that the admins have concerning issues arising from certain discussion points. if that is what needs to take place to control "stupid-sh*t", then i whole-heartedly agree to it and will step back a few steps back to accomplish the goals necessary for new folks on the site. i hope that others will understand the reasoning behind the protocol and conform to it as well.