PDA

View Full Version : D-Rings from Sarasnik's (Bridgeville)

Bill
05-16-2005, 02:20 PM
For a while now I have been trying to get down to Bridgeville to get that GREAT deal on D-Rings for under $8.00 each. On Saturday (during a little tool-based shopping excursion Matt and I undertook) we finally made it there. Much to my surprise (at a few of you) the D-Rings you described - NOT GOOD! I was told by one member that they were 10,000 lb D-Rings. Another member tells me that they are 12,000 lb D-Rings. After close inspection for myself, they ARE 4,000 lb D-Rings. Not a bargain...

Oh, and for those of you who are running these as part of your recovery gear on your rigs I give you this little mathematical equation:

Jeep + Mud (stuck) > 4000lb

I wouldn't exactly consider it safe to use those on the trail...

Consider this just a friendly piece of advice from a forum member who does not want to be impaled by flying D-Ring debris.

OverkillZJ
05-16-2005, 03:53 PM
I won't be as nice: If you use those things anywhere near me for a recovery application, or a crapy tow strap with METAL ENDS, there's a good chance I'll leave ya on the trail.

4,000 pounds is not near strong enough for yanking a vehicle that's near that weight to start with.

But on the serious side, I once broke a guys leg with a tow strap. These are not things you want to skimp on. I also witnessed a winch line snap and cut 3" into a tree. That was enough force to cut any of us in half if we weren't so lucky.

MF Steve!
05-16-2005, 04:57 PM
theyre probably made in china too...haha couldnt resist.

Bill
05-16-2005, 05:09 PM
theyre probably made in china too...haha couldnt resist.

why yes, they were... 8)

rubicondave33
05-16-2005, 09:46 PM
CTS (Construction Tool Service) sells them. I don't remember the exact price, but it was a bargain.
just my .02$

MF Steve!
05-16-2005, 09:54 PM
any fastenal will have them in many sizes. up to 20,000lbs i believe. they also sell snatch blocks and a variety of other items for rigging...check it out here: http://www.fastenal.com/web/products.ex?dispatch=browse&c=601922

Bill
05-16-2005, 10:41 PM
CTS (Construction Tool Service) sells them. I don't remember the exact price, but it was a bargain.
just my .02$

Is there an outlet locally?

(If not Saturday will be a run to 4WD Hardware day to get stuff...)

rubicondave33
05-17-2005, 05:36 AM
Is there an outlet locally?

(If not Saturday will be a run to 4WD Hardware day to get stuff...)
CTS does have a store in Pittsburgh. I'm not sure exactly where, but I do know where the State College store is.LOL
I have a number for Pittsburgh, 1-800-245-2531
or try www.constructiontoolonline.com
I couldn't get the website to load this a.m., maybe it'll work for you
Good luck!

RedneckYJ95
05-17-2005, 08:50 AM
Just to add to the seriousness.....my boss' cousin was killed by a clevis that snapped. Yes, KILLED!!!! They were pullin a tractor w/ a tractor on their farm, and when it snapped it flew back and got him right in the face. When you are getting pulled out of mud there is a lot more dead weight than what they were dealin with. $.02

MF Steve!
05-17-2005, 04:01 PM
there is a fastenal in carnegie, across from the b.p.

OverkillZJ
05-17-2005, 11:41 PM
Ya, metal hook tow straps and piss poor tow points are bad, mmmmmkay?

http://www.southernhighrollers.com/tips/images/a_near1.jpg

LeadFoot
05-18-2005, 10:58 PM
So are cars and everything else around you. If used properly, they are fine.

OverkillZJ
05-18-2005, 11:11 PM
So are cars and everything else around you. If used properly, they are fine.

Using a metal tow hook properly would be pulling a 2,000 lb honda out of a snow bank slowly with it constanly under tension, not jerking a jeep out of the mud. Every tool has its place, and as long as that metal tow straps place is faaaaar away from me I don't care what you do with it 8)

Cebby
05-19-2005, 08:35 AM
Using a metal tow hook properly would be pulling a 2,000 lb honda out of a snow bank slowly with it constanly under tension, not jerking a jeep out of the mud. Every tool has its place, and as long as that metal tow straps place is faaaaar away from me I don't care what you do with it 8)

Good Posting! Natural selection will take care of those that don't understand this. Is this going to turn into an installment of the Darwin Awards?