PDA

View Full Version : Horsepower...what is it?

dp
06-01-2005, 09:24 PM
What is horsepower and how important is it?

I feel that today, auto makers are a bit deceptive in their marketing when they talk about their 'most horsepower in its class' and so on. So I'm writing this so you can see for yourself what the difference between horsepower and torque is, which one is more important, and to explain why it's more important.

Horsepower is defined as the work done over time. It's overrated and it really doesn't tell you much at all about an engine, if anything at all. It's hardly useful when comparing one engine to another. So am I saying that 300 horsepower doesn't necessarily equal 300 horsepower? That's correct. Don't buy it? I'll prove it.

OK...well, for the most part, 300 horsepower is definately 300 horsepower, I'm not going to lie to you. That doesn't necessarily mean that just because two vehicles put out 300 horsepower, that the playing field is even. Let's take out everything else involved in a race, that would be everything including weight, the power curve, traction, and anything else that effects the speed of a vehicle.

Horsepower is equal to torque times RPM divided by 5,252 (HP=Torque * RPM / 5252). Sounds goofy, right? Well, it's a nice easy way to make your car or truck sound faster and more powerful than it really is. Let's take compare two trucks...A 3500 I-5 from a Chevy Colorado and a 4.0L v6 from a Ford Ranger.

Colorado: 220 max HP @ 5600 RPM
Ranger: 207 max HP @ 5250 RPM

The Colorado seems more powerful, right? Well, it must be because it has more horsepower. That's not so. When you convert the HP figures into what each engine is putting out in torque at the given RPM's, we see that the Colorado is putting out 207 LB-FT and the Ranger is putting out 207 LB-FT of torque. The Colorado's power band is higher...so it LOOKS more powerful.

Horsepower cannot be felt. Torque can be felt. Torque is what throws you back into your seat in that race car. It's what gets a vehicle off the starting line and what pushes it through the finish.

Let's compare two hypothetical vehicles so I can further illustrate my point. Let's call the two engines Engine A and Engine B. Here are the stats...both are MAX horsepower.

Engine A: 200 max HP @ 5900 RPM
Engine B: 100 max HP @ 2000 RPM

Engine A is putting out DOUBLE the horsepower. That's pretty impressive. But when you look at it closer, Engine A is putting out 178 LB-FT and Engine B is putting out 263 LB-FT or torque. Remember, torque is the one that you can feel, and is the one that determines how fast it can push your vehicle and how fast it can get you to that speed.

Another thing I thought was of worthy mention is that just because a certain modification may increase your horsepower by 5 points, you're not necessarily gaining power. You could simply be shifting your max horsepower point and actually losing power in the long-run.

Of course, there are other factors that affect how quick your vehicle is going to cross the finish line such as weight, traction, and the power curve. For the most part, however, remember that just because one vehicle has 250 horsepower and another has 200 that doesn't mean that the first vehicle is faster or even more powerful for that matter. Text Copyright © 2005 David Paull

Bill
06-01-2005, 10:09 PM
Ummmm.... Your mom!

Copyright © olllllllo :finga:

dp
06-01-2005, 10:23 PM
Ummmm.... Your mom!

Don't lie...you know you learned something. :wink:

xsjado
06-01-2005, 11:15 PM
:lame:

OverkillZJ
06-02-2005, 01:24 AM
Torque turns the wheels Horseys sell the car :lol:

dp
06-02-2005, 07:56 AM

oh well next time I just won't share whatever I spend time on here. Sorry for wasting your time guys.

Bill
06-02-2005, 08:08 AM

oh well next time I just won't share whatever I spend time on here. Sorry for wasting your time guys.

Ummmm.... Your mom!

r6cyclegal
06-02-2005, 09:08 AM
For real, Yo!!! 8)

I ain't reading all that, but thanks for trying to impart knowledge on us.

Jpdst29
06-02-2005, 06:57 PM
how can i increase the torque in my Jeep!!!

YJBeef
06-02-2005, 10:25 PM
Ummmm.... Your mom!

Umm.......No........I and I'm sure most knew that, next time you have a chevy/ford rant......make it worth while.... :roll:

.......Oh yeah, you forgot gearing :wink: and what's with the copyright crap?

dp
06-02-2005, 11:35 PM
Ummmm.... Your mom!

Umm.......No........I and I'm sure most knew that, next time you have a chevy/ford rant......make it worth while.... :roll:

I'm sure most didn't know what I wrote. It's not a chevy/ford rant. That was two motors that I had information on that was sitting infront of me from a recent truck shopping experience.

I forgot gearing? Just like I forgot traction, power curve, weight, air resistance, driver experience, etc...

oh and the copyright...because if someone copies and pastes it somewhere, I would like to be given credit.

TimMichaels
06-03-2005, 08:23 PM
Thank you for posting. I learned from it.

YJBeef
06-05-2005, 10:12 PM
Ummmm.... Your mom!

I'm sure most didn't know what I wrote. It's not a chevy/ford rant. That was two motors that I had information on that was sitting infront of me from a recent truck shopping experience.

I forgot gearing? Just like I forgot traction, power curve, weight, air resistance, driver experience, etc...

oh and the copyright...because if someone copies and pastes it somewhere, I would like to be given credit.

sure :roll: