PDA

View Full Version : Please... For the love of God...

Bill
01-07-2008, 08:21 PM
I would like to take a few seconds of your time and ask this one simple request. Is it too much to ask for people to use a little common decency and be grammatically correct when posting messages on this forum? Yes, I am guilty of a typo here and there, but the board has been a little crazy as of late. There are an abundance of run-on sentences, improper spellings, and no capitalizations in an entire paragraph, etc...

This forum is here for us to communicate with one another. It isn't that hard to take a few seconds to capitalize the first word in a sentence or the proper nouns is it? Is it that hard to use a period, question mark, or exclamation point at the end of a sentence? It makes things so much easier to read and allows the members of the forum to benefit by making it easier to communicate with each other.

This is not a shot at anyone in particular; it isn’t me picking on anyone so I don’t really care to here any “I guess this is directed at me” posts. This is nothing more than a simple request. Don’t try to read more into it than is actually there.

Okay, my rant is done. It only took a minute, and I think I communicated it quite nicely with everything punctuated properly.

Wrecker
01-07-2008, 09:06 PM
Grammer Nazi.

OverkillZJ
01-07-2008, 09:29 PM
Um, Steve, it's GrammAr!

And I hate to say I agree with Bill. No one is asking for perfect, but I HONESTLY don't know what some folks are saying on-line some times. It's very hard to decipher words without punctuation than it is to listen to some speak in person, so let's do what we can on line to communicate better.

There's even a spell-check built in, click the "ABC" button.

Wrecker
01-08-2008, 09:15 AM
Spelling Nazi.

Muzikman
01-08-2008, 09:52 AM
whereis the spel chek? seriously i cant find it.

Edit: Oh, odd, there it is. I don't see it on the normal reply screen, but I see it on Quick Reply and Edit screens.

Er...it's an IE add-in, that's no fun.

This is why I use Firefox at home.

OverkillZJ
01-08-2008, 10:09 AM
It's the same ad-in most BB's use, install once, use everywhere, works very well. It doesn't always show up on the main reply screen since the giant smileys push it out of its frame.

jeepxj3
01-10-2008, 03:20 PM
http://www.iespell.com/download.php

OverkillZJ
01-10-2008, 04:13 PM
I misread (the first) Jason's post, I thought he was speaking of install for each board, not version of browser, my bad.

Yep, it is IE only. There's other spell checks out there, but according to the web stats 98% of this board uses IE so I'm not bothering for you uber geeks ;)

Muzikman
01-10-2008, 05:20 PM
Well, Firefox has it's own spell check, but I use IE at work. I can't really add any plug-ins as I use it to test sites. I would hate for a spell check add-in to screw me up. I really need to set me up a test ESX workstation that I can install all my toys on.

OverkillZJ
01-10-2008, 05:25 PM
You could always throw a virtual machine on your work machine so you know what you do on the VM won't affect your testing.

Wrecker
01-10-2008, 05:35 PM
GEEKS

OverkillZJ
01-10-2008, 05:36 PM
GEEKS

$$$, that's why you put it in GREEN!

stesul411
01-10-2008, 05:49 PM
ArnEt SPill chuCKerS GREeeeAte

Muzikman
01-10-2008, 06:16 PM
You could always throw a virtual machine on your work machine so you know what you do on the VM won't affect your testing.

We have an ESX cluster. I could probably toss an XP VM out there and no one would ever find it. :)

Bill
01-10-2008, 08:50 PM
Stop cluttering my thread with geek stuff!!! :p

Wrecker
01-10-2008, 09:23 PM
Wh y?

Bill
01-20-2008, 02:37 PM
I have a few ideas for some of the people on here... If it applies to you maybe you should take these into consideration:

http://images.jupiterimages.com/common/detail/58/16/22421658.jpg
The shift key. This is the tool on your keyboard that allows you to capitalize the firts letter of every sentence. It is also used to modify all those "i" letters and makes them "I". This technique should be used EVERY single time the letter "I" is alone as a word in a sentence.

http://www.justicedenied.org/books/wc/merriam-websters%20dictionary.jpg
This is a dictionary. It has a variety of uses. Here on the forum it could be used to check proper spelling, verify the meaning of words, and permit you to not look like a total moron when posting messages. There is an easier version referred to as "Spell Check" and can be found in the toolbar above the text box you use to type your messages and replies in.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v351/o|||||||o/MIsc/punctuation.jpg
This chart may be able to help those of you who have no clue on how to end a sentence. It really isn't that hard, you can't have it going on forever now can you?

common sense
–noun

sound practical judgment that is independent of specialized knowledge, training, or the like; normal native intelligence.

This is the dictionary's version of "Common sense." I don't expect everyone to have it, but for those of you that don't at least try to fake it.

Please, remember that we are all here for the same thing and we are all trying to read what you are typing and understand the message that you are trying to convey to us. If you type something on here that looks idiotic then the message we are receiving is that you are an idiot.

[/rant]

Alley
01-21-2008, 10:12 PM
I have been typing 99.9% of my posts on a numerical keypad. (Yes I haven't even upgraded to a Q!) I try my best to type out words and spell correctly and even use puncuation. But, sometimes i'm in a hurry and get lazy. I will do my best from now on to take the time and effort to pretend I can read, write, and properly communicate to the best of my abilities.

OverkillZJ
01-21-2008, 10:17 PM
Frankly, Alley, your typing on your phone, is better than half of the boards on a full keyboard!