PDA

View Full Version : For all you mountain bikers...

NorthFaceZJ
01-17-2008, 01:31 AM
i have been out of the scene for a while. i used to be pretty hardcore moutain biker. i have owned numerous mongooses and a gary fisher...

Anyways...I am in the market for a bike and like i said i have been out of the scene for a while...

my question is...is it really cheaper to build a decent bike versus purchaisng one complete?

-my budget is roughly a grand, i can go over, dont care
-def. goign with XTR compoents (rapid fire)
-hayes hydrolic discs (even though they do tend to rub/scrape from time to time)
-rock shox or manituo
-nice frame, fisher, whatever...
-i am a hardtail junky, but will condsider soft tail for downhill...(most likely going with hardtail)
-clipless...(alreay have nice shoes)

so...what you think? cheaper to build or buy complete? if i can save $100-$200 building my own, thats a plus for me. plus the enjoyment of the build of course.

thanks!

-joe

ArtCloud
01-17-2008, 02:01 AM
get a klein, they are awesome

80glasscj
01-17-2008, 02:20 AM
REI has great deals on complete bikes. i think that it`s a good platform to start with, and then add all the bells and whistles you want. plus if you join you can get 10% back at the end of the year as a member nice perk i think.

NorthFaceZJ
01-17-2008, 02:32 AM
kleins are sweet...thanks for the info.

REI, does surprisngly have some good bikes, but i would perfer to go to a dirty harrys or a similar ma & pa. teh smaller stores will swap certain compenets out or change some parts that you do not like. is there an REI in pgh? i just moved back here and have been out of the scene in da bugh.

thanks guys.

80glasscj
01-17-2008, 02:46 AM
there is one down in the southside at the new end. big store and free maintenance when you purchase there.

80glasscj
01-17-2008, 02:55 AM
kleins are sweet...thanks for the info.

REI, does surprisngly have some good bikes, but i would perfer to go to a dirty harrys or a similar ma & pa. teh smaller stores will swap certain compenets out or change some parts that you do not like. is there an REI in pgh? i just moved back here and have been out of the scene in da bugh.

thanks guys.

looks like you left co. too soon, i think that i`d rather be on those slopes.

JeepGeneral
01-17-2008, 11:33 AM
Don't support REI, they fund/support organizations that fight to shut down lands to ORVs. It's a sad situation, they have some sweet stuff.

PatF10
01-17-2008, 11:51 AM
yea i have mixed emotions on REI, I backpack alot so they are great to buy gear from. But then they support the organizations that shut land down for my jeep. But then they have 100% satisfaction guarantee, and ive used that a few times. That is one problem with alot of the outdoor sports (hiking, camping) lot of hippies! But im sure you look into alot of big companies people shop at you could find something about them to not shop there.

80glasscj
01-17-2008, 12:20 PM
Don't support REI, they fund/support organizations that fight to shut down lands to ORVs. It's a sad situation, they have some sweet stuff.

did not know that, that sux

yea i have mixed emotions on REI, I backpack alot so they are great to buy gear from. But then they support the organizations that shut land down for my jeep. But then they have 100% satisfaction guarantee, and ive used that a few times. That is one problem with alot of the outdoor sports (hiking, camping) lot of hippies! But im sure you look into alot of big companies people shop at you could find something about them to not shop there.

that 100% satisfaction guarantee is nice, but only the big corp. guys can pull that off.

xj-shark
01-17-2008, 12:30 PM
I've looked into getting all new XTR stuff, new fork, and rims for my Fisher and I quickly get to the point where it would be cheaper to just buy a new bike. Wish it didn't because I really like my old steel hardtail. just my .02

2002wranglerX
01-17-2008, 02:33 PM
I'm a big fan of dirty harry's.

I know a bunch of people who said good things about pgh pro bikes but i have never had good experience with them. Every time i've gone there they haven't had anything in stock, and the people who i've talked to don't know their head from a hole in the ground. I went in to ask about a simple seat post and they couldn't figure it out. kinda bugged me.

Anyway, i bought a Gary Fisher Paragon in 06. I'm runnign Sram X9 components and i'm really happy with them. I know urbanek is running some XTR stuff on his hi-fi and has had some serious issues.

the big thing in mounting bikes is 29" wheels. There's a bunch of variations like 69r's (26" rear 29" front), full sus 29'rs, and hard tail 29r's.

i'm a big heavy guy and i like a light bike, so i prefer a hardtail (why i bought the paragon) BUT the 29r really takes a lot of the abuse OUT of riding. the 29" wheels handle the bumps better, they're smoother, and it's easier to be fast on.

there are some differences though, in technical stuff you'll notice they're taller, which takes some serious getting used to. But if you like rhythm and really doing some fast singletrack, try out a 29r. If you're a bigger guy like me, you'll realllly like them.

i think i paid 1650 for my paragon (which i thougth was a good deal). then i upgraded to a chris king headset, ritchey stem, carbon bars, and extended the front reba to 100 mm of travel.

I'm thinking about going to the SRAM X0 stuff (it's CF and just looks sick!) and upgrading my front rotor to a 7 or 8" rotor (rear is a 6"). Also, i'll probably switch my hydrolic fluid over to mineral spirits (brakes are hydro disc).

i think i'm weighing in around 24lbs, but with a wheelset and a set of Ti pedals i should be in around 22-22.5. I'm 245lbs so i try to balance weight with strength.

I have killed one frame though. This is what's nice about trek/gf. the lifetime warrenty took care of that since i bought the bike through a dealer. If you buy a frame and build your bike, you won't get that.

anyway, i know i just typed a book. but bottom line is you need to go ride some. I highly recommend Dirty harry's, and they now carry niner bikes! which are pretty sick!

2002wranglerX
01-17-2008, 02:58 PM
Ok, there are TONS of manufactures out there, some better than fisher/trek, some not. Lets just use GF as a starting point (since you've had one before)

if you wanted to get into an entry level 29r, you could start on something like this and upgrade the pedals (i have a set you could HAVE), pedals are cheap. and i'm sure Dirty harry's will get you in under a grand.

http://www.fisherbikes.com/bike/model/cobia

if you wanted something a little more competitive (and WOW i hate teh color, mine's bright yellow but this color is HORRIBLE) you can do a paragon like this (although they did downgrade some stuff for 07 and 08 but they upgraded to a fox air shock)

http://www.fisherbikes.com/bike/model/paragon
For more of a traditional hard tail, you could do this

http://www.fisherbikes.com/bike/model/tassajara

you're getting the hydrolic disc brakes (WOW what a difference) but since it's still fairly entry level, your components are mid range.

you could step that up and go with something like this

http://www.fisherbikes.com/bike/model/hoo-koo-e-koo

Now that gets you into avid juicy 3's (for reverence i have juicy 7's) as well as some decent X9 components.

or something up to this (if you like 26" hardtails a LOT)

http://www.fisherbikes.com/bike/model/big-sur

Keep in mind all those prices are "retail" and most places will beat them by a few hundred bucks (at least that's my experience).

Bottom line is you get what you pay for. I'm all about buying used parts and building a bike (i'm building a commuter as we speak so i don't have to park my 2500 dollars worth of bike downtown) and i'm using all used/craigslist parts. But that won't be my woods bike.

Ask steve how light my bike is :) he's picked it up lol. if you want to do singletrack and ride the stuff around here (frick, north park, hartwood, etc) lighter is defenitely better.

jeepxj3
01-17-2008, 03:03 PM
IIRC Joe had the Big Sur, sick bike! I think ill stick to wheelin though... Joe its tempting to get back into biking, but buying a new bike would be too much.

Oh, and if you do buy a new bike put your LA's and 33's on hold for another year... :flamer:

2002wranglerX
01-17-2008, 03:18 PM
IIRC Joe had the Big Sur, sick bike! I think ill stick to wheelin though...

I have more into my mountain bike then my YJ!

a few other good bike companies to look at are niner bikes, specialized have some decent bikes on the upper end, cannondale also but they're a little quirky to me. Trek uses a shorter top tube than gary fisher for a more upright riding position, Marin, redline salsa, santa cruz, surly, titus, and Yeti are all quality as well.

jeepxj3
01-17-2008, 03:21 PM
I have more into my mountain bike then my YJ!

exactly why ill stick to wheelin, although bikes are self powered, the initial purchase can be WAY more expenisvie... IMHO, wheelin is more fun anyways, the flex pictures speak for themselves.

jeepxj3
01-17-2008, 03:23 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Gary-Fisher-Mountain-Bike-Green-Down-Hill-Bike-Betty_W0QQitemZ180205544620QQihZ008QQcategoryZ9808 3QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

this is a pretty sick bike.
http://i14.ebayimg.com/05/i/000/b8/e9/3be1_1.JPG

2002wranglerX
01-17-2008, 03:48 PM
http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showcat.php/cat/4

also an option

2002wranglerX
01-17-2008, 03:49 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Gary-Fisher-Mountain-Bike-Green-Down-Hill-Bike-Betty_W0QQitemZ180205544620QQihZ008QQcategoryZ9808 3QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

this is a pretty sick bike.
http://i14.ebayimg.com/05/i/000/b8/e9/3be1_1.JPG

ya the old scool Y frames are cool, but kinda heavy IMHO.

it all depends. if you want to go fast downhill, weight isn't as much a factor. you want strength, big knobby tires, and long suspension travel.

for trails, quick, light, and manageable is the name of the game.

NorthFaceZJ
01-17-2008, 04:07 PM
thanks for the input guys....

i purchased a big sur from dirty harrys in teh past, the whole 9 yards: hayes hydrolic disc, XTR, Manitou front, etc.... They even swapped the fork on that i wanted at no cost. 1st tune up is free too.

we should plans some group rides in the spring / summer / fall. there are some sick trails at harwood acres, deerlakes, 7 springs, etc....

NorthFaceZJ
01-17-2008, 04:10 PM
exactly why ill stick to wheelin, although bikes are self powered, the initial purchase can be WAY more expenisvie... IMHO, wheelin is more fun anyways, the flex pictures speak for themselves.

wheeling is more fun, but they are hard to compare. one plus wiht MTB'ing is that you can go alot faster and you can jump your junk wihtout worrying about breaking it! lol.

also, you can fall of bridges with your bike, jump back on and ride away.

jeepxj3
01-17-2008, 04:43 PM
also, you can fall of bridges with your bike, jump back on and ride away.

:082: one of the biggest reasons I dont ride anymore... My wrist still hurts me to this day from that...

Sycotik Skier
01-17-2008, 06:26 PM
i have a fisher hoo koo e koo i think it's like an 04 I love it. I use to work at Hite's bike shop and test rode a lot of different bikes before i decided on my fisher. i wish i still rode my bike as much as I use to. More times than not it is cheaper to buy a complete bike than it is to build one assuming you don't have a lot of parts lying around. although seldom people are completly happy with the stock components on a bike but the way i've always looked at it is i'll upgrade when i break it. my bike now has mostly lx components ( crank, derailiuers, shifters,) and I love them. I've noticed in the past that xtr components require constant attention to keep them shifting smoothly. my fisher in "race trim" weighs like 22lbs and thats a 19.5 inch frame. sealed bearing wheels are something I don't think i can live with out anymore. hell sealed bearings on everything. if you want light pedals Crank brother's eggbeaters are hard to beat weight wise but there is a lot of float. I have not heard one bad thing about dirty harry's i just went to Hite's because i worked there and it was two miles from my house.

stesul411
01-17-2008, 06:45 PM
Get hold of trailerrails from BLWA.ORG, he's a manager at Pittsburgh Pro Bikes in Squirrel Hill, he may be able to hook you up.

2002wranglerX
01-17-2008, 07:08 PM
Get hold of trailerrails from BLWA.ORG, he's a manager at Pittsburgh Pro Bikes in Squirrel Hill, he may be able to hook you up.

I'm sure he's more competent than the morons I talked to. the guys I worked with took 30 mins to find a seat clamp. I asked him about a thompson seat post (the bike was there mind you) and the one he brought out and tried to sell me was waaaaay too short. when I told him this he completely dismissed me.its not like I was in there with a huffy. I had a modded paragon with a 600 dollar hid light on it! (i ride at night too. I highly recommend it!)ill stick with dirty harrys. those guys always invite me for a beer, always bs about bikes, jeeps, everything for hours... just my .02

MF Steve!
01-17-2008, 07:41 PM
I like to push hard, so I bought a heavy downhill bike. I enjoy it for everything. Diamondback XTS-07, it weighs around 40LBS...it's very heavy, but I'm not exactly a lightweight either.

2002wranglerX
01-17-2008, 08:08 PM
I like to push hard, so I bought a heavy downhill bike. I enjoy it for everything. Diamondback XTS-07, it weighs around 40LBS...it's very heavy, but I'm not exactly a lightweight either.

ya steve gets around just fine on that thing. I do'nt know how he does it!

ezman
01-17-2008, 09:33 PM
i'm a fan of santa cruz...
if you've been a hard tail junky then i'd stick with the hard tails... it's a totally different animal with the full suspension...

i always liked the chameleon...

trailerrails
01-18-2008, 12:07 AM
I'm sure he's more competent than the morons I talked to. the guys I worked with took 30 mins to find a seat clamp. I asked him about a thompson seat post (the bike was there mind you) and the one he brought out and tried to sell me was waaaaay too short. when I told him this he completely dismissed me.its not like I was in there with a huffy. I had a modded paragon with a 600 dollar hid light on it! (i ride at night too. I highly recommend it!)ill stick with dirty harrys. those guys always invite me for a beer, always bs about bikes, jeeps, everything for hours... just my .02

Yea, sorry, but good help is hard to find. I have been in the bike industry for about 15 years so I'd like to think I know what I am talking about. Unfortunately, as a manager I can't help every customer that walks in the door. We have had a few people who don't know what the they are doing when it come to small parts. Learn who to talk to and ask for them (ahem, Jake or my self (Jason)) if you have a technical problem. I firmly believe the Mechanics we have are the best in the city though.

The people you speak of I believe we have gotten rid of and they have since move on to the Trek store in east liberty. I believe the crew we have now is much more knowledgeable than we have had in the past. Just like any place you have to get to know the people who know what they are talking about.

Back on Topic. If you want to stay in the $1000 price range then do a Fisher Cobia. If you want the parts you are talking about you will be spending between $3000 and $7000 for a bike (a little over your budget). Oh and don't buy a Y bike, that is like buying a leaf sprung, drum braked sports car and hoping to auto cross it.

I think the 2008 x-caliber is the best buy in a hard tail 29er. At a little over 2k the 2008 Trek Fuel EX8 is one of the best Full squish bikes out there right now at that price.

Lastly, I try to keep the lowest prices in town on bikes, I price shop everyone in town in order to stay competitive and I will match any one on their prices.

trailerrails
01-18-2008, 12:08 AM
Oh I forgot to mention, don't build your own, you get a package deal when you buy complete.

2002wranglerX
01-18-2008, 12:15 AM
Yea, sorry, but good help is hard to find. I have been in the bike industry for about 15 years so I'd like to think I know what I am talking about. Unfortunately, as a manager I can't help every customer that walks in the door. We have had a few people who don't know what the they are doing when it come to small parts. Learn who to talk to and ask for them (ahem, Jake or my self (Jason)) if you have a technical problem. I firmly believe the Mechanics we have are the best in the city though.

The people you speak of I believe we have gotten rid of and they have since move on to the Trek store in east liberty. I believe the crew we have now is much more knowledgeable than we have had in the past. Just like any place you have to get to know the people who know what they are talking about.

Back on Topic. If you want to stay in the $1000 price range then do a Fisher Cobia. If you want the parts you are talking about you will be spending between $3000 and $7000 for a bike (a little over your budget). Oh and don't buy a Y bike, that is like buying a leaf sprung, drum braked sports car and hoping to auto cross it.

I think the 2008 x-caliber is the best buy in a hard tail 29er. At a little over 2k the 2008 Trek Fuel EX8 is one of the best Full squish bikes out there right now at that price.

Lastly, I try to keep the lowest prices in town on bikes, I price shop everyone in town in order to stay competitive and I will match any one on their prices.

cool man, i always heard good things about you guys, i must have just had bad luck with the salespeople i got!

i have to say X2 for the cobia for the $.

In case anyone cares, here's a pic of mine and kim's setup.

mine: 06 Gary fisher Paragon
Juicy 7 hydrolic brakes
X9 components
Carbon bars
CK headset
ritchey stem
maxxis ignitor rear, IRC mythos front (have a bunch of different tires though)
100 mm travel Reba
Moab niterider HID headlamp

Kim's: 07 Tassajar GS Disc

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v629/flyry110/compassbikes2.jpg

jeepxj3
03-24-2008, 02:49 PM
getting the mtn bike bug again!!! Scoped out a few bikes this weekend, and came across a decent K2, anyone have any expierence with these?

http://content.mtbr.com/images/Tradeshow/14/351/prodimg3.jpg

I know, I still need to price some other bikes first, but can anyone give me a clue if this is a decent bike or not? I have been out of the whole MTN Bike loop for quite a few years now, its all greek to me.

I use to compete with an aluminum Schwinn Homegrown, and loved it until I grew out of the frame and into a Jeep :lol: Now I need to get back on the bike and start riding, im getting too fat!!!!

OOps, I forgot to give details on the bike...
http://www.k2bikes.com/index.php?brand=K2&series=Mountain&type=Full%20Suspension&model=Base%202.0&2007=false&show=Expanded

FRAME - 4" TRAVEL FULL SUSPENSION, 6061 AL, REFLEX MOUNTAIN TUBING, FOR DISC BRAKES
REAR SHOCK - SR SUNTOUR EPICON DA, AIR SPRING & REBOUND ADJUST
FORK - ROCK SHOX DART 2, 100mm TRAVEL, WITH TURNKEY LOCKOUT
FRONT DERAILLEUR - SRAM X5
REAR DERAILLEUR - SRAM X5
SHIFTERS - SRAM X-5 TRIGGER
FREE WHEEL CASSETTE - SRAM PG-950 9 SPEED CASSETTE, 11-34T
CRANKSET - FSA DYNA DRIVE FOR POWERDRIVE BB
BOTTOM BRACKET - FSA BB-8420ST POWERDRIVE
CHAIN - KMC Z9000 WITH REUSABLE LINK
RIM - WTB SX24 DOUBLEWALL
TIRES - WTB MOTORAPTOR COMP, 26 X 2.14"
BRAKES - TEKTRO HYDRAULIC DISC BRAKES, 160/160mm ROTORS
BRAKE LEVERS - TEKTRO HYDRAULIC, STANDARD REACH
HEADSET - 1 1/8" THREADLESS, ZERO STACK
STEM - K2 BIKE FIT SYSTEM BY NVO, MELT-FORGED AL
HANDLEBAR - ALUMINUM RISER BAR
GRIPS - WTB DUAL-COMPOUND TRAIL
SEAT CLAMP - ALLOY, WITH QR
SEAT POST - 6061-T6 AL, 2D FORGED HEAD, WITH MICRO-ADJUST
SADDLE - WTB SPEED V SPORT SE
PEDALS - ALUMINUM MTB PLATFORM
RINGS - 22/32/42
FRONT HUB - ALLOY DISC, WITH QR
REAR HUB - ALLOY CASSETTE DISC, WITH QR
SPOKES - 14 GA STAINLESS WITH BRASS NIPPLES

OverkillZJ
03-24-2008, 02:52 PM
I'm going to fix my old Raleigh M60 (nothing compared to todays bikes) - just to see if it's something I could get back into again...

jeepxj3
03-24-2008, 02:55 PM
I'm going to fix my old Raleigh M60 (nothing compared to todays bikes) - just to see if it's something I could get back into again...

I would do tha, but the old schwinn is just too small for me anymore.... It was an awesome SUPER light bike, but I want a full suspension bike, not trying to kill my back.

NorthFaceZJ
03-24-2008, 03:27 PM
the season is upon us! i will be hitting hte trails hard starting in mid April....we should get a group together. i know a few of you are into this. lets get it togther!

thanks for reseructing (sp) this post jason!

jeepxj3
03-24-2008, 03:42 PM
No problem, Hows Texas?

MF Steve!
03-24-2008, 03:44 PM
I dunno Jason, that is a lot of bike...similar to mine. Keep in mind that you're exerting a lot more to compensate for the rear suspension. I don't mind the rear suspension on mine...just something to consider.

trailerrails
03-24-2008, 04:00 PM
Get a 29er hard tail.

I am guessing that bike is around the 1000-1200$ mark by the level of parts it has on it. For that money you will get a much nicer hard tail and it will last you much longer. If you start riding hard you will wear out that K2 pretty quick. If you want a full suspension you have to spend at least 1700$+ to get one that will hold up to some decent riding. I could go on for a long time on all the parts on that bike that will give you a headache in a year or two or six months when they begin to show signs of wear.

trailerrails
03-24-2008, 04:01 PM
I dunno Jason, that is a lot of bike...similar to mine. Keep in mind that you're exerting a lot more to compensate for the rear suspension. I don't mind the rear suspension on mine...just something to consider.

You are exactly right. Rear suspension is nice but you have to spend more to get it.

jeepxj3
03-24-2008, 04:10 PM
Ill take some of your advice into concideration, but I dont have that great of a back, thats one of the reasons I want to shy from a hardtrail. Hardtails are nice, I use to ride a Schwinn homegrown, and it was a decent bike, but I really want to get into some down hill action and full suspension would be setup alot nicer for this.

2002wranglerX
03-24-2008, 07:20 PM
i'm not a huge K2 fan . . . . i dunno, they just don't do it for me.

as far as full sus. as long as you're in the 3" range (travel) you should be fine for XC.

go on www.mtbr.com (http://www.mtbr.com) and read the reviews on the bikes. also make sure to read the "expert" reviews on them as well.

some bikes are more suited to different terrain.

and don't go by the price tag. you can take a mongoose, and toss some good parts on it, and have it cost 3,000 bucks, but you still have the mongoose geometry.

2002wranglerX
03-24-2008, 07:20 PM
i'm a big fan of niner bikes . . . .

trailerrails
03-24-2008, 07:32 PM
Ill take some of your advice into concideration, but I dont have that great of a back, thats one of the reasons I want to shy from a hardtrail. Hardtails are nice, I use to ride a Schwinn homegrown, and it was a decent bike, but I really want to get into some down hill action and full suspension would be setup alot nicer for this.

If you are looking to do some down hill then this is totally the wrong bike for you. The first thing you will break is that single bolt seatpost, second you will blow the rear shock out followed by the fork. The XC geometry will want to pitch you over the bars constantly.

Look at a Cannondale prophet, I will have to check on the pricing but I think I should be able to get you a Prophet 6 for slightly more than that K2. While the Prophet is not a DH bike it is made for more aggressive riding and will much easier to ride fast downhill. Also keep in mind I can do 12 months 0% financing on anything. So the few more dollars you are spending can be financed and paid off over the course of a year.
Sorry about the spam.

ezman
03-24-2008, 07:53 PM
soft tails are where its at in my opinion... if you get a decent rear shock you won't even notice it...
shit... i'm 230lbs and with the fox dhx 5.0 i can climb like my old hard tail... i don't know anything about that rear shock... but if you are over 170lbs and/or ride hard not too many air shocks out there that can handle that...

what type of riding are you going to be doing... xc... free ride/all mtn... commuting... if you are going to do all mtn stuff... you want a full suspension bike... like i said earlier... i'm a big fan santa cruz...

jeepxj3
03-24-2008, 07:59 PM
All Mountain is what im looking for, little bit of everything.

ezman
03-24-2008, 08:25 PM
how much do you weigh... and how tall are you...

i'd check out mtbr.com and check out all the components... they have a wide array of reviews on almost everything for mtn bikes... if you are going to do trails with log rides or anything of the sort you will want a bash guard...

jeepxj3
03-24-2008, 08:46 PM
im 5'7 weigh about 170. I allready checked out the site, its pretty overwelming to say the least.

trailerrails
03-24-2008, 08:58 PM
im 5'7 weigh about 170. I allready checked out the site, its pretty overwelming to say the least.

I am not a big fan of MTBR, it seems like most of the people on there are 12year old punks. There is a lot of misinformation on that site. If you take everything on the site with a grain of salt you can pick up some good info. You are right it is very overwhelming.

ezman
03-24-2008, 10:03 PM
true true...
with your build you'd be fine with a small to med. xc frame and any decent air shock...
nowadays most decent shocks are tuned to not have pedal bob...

mudforblood
03-24-2008, 10:13 PM
...... .... .. ......

I'm still fine tuning my morse code skills but I think I just about got the whole message.:003:

BTW I have no input on those pedal powered doohickys. If it doesn't have a motor it's not for me. :016:

OverkillZJ
03-24-2008, 10:24 PM
"Hi" Jeff!

I used to know Morse, now I don't know anything but bad ****ing english!

2002wranglerX
03-24-2008, 10:39 PM
after reading what you want, i vote santa cruz

K2 is just . . . i dunno . . . eh

2002wranglerX
03-24-2008, 11:09 PM
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/bik/617445125.html

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/bik/612837282.html

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/bik/602011723.html

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/bik/597756893.html

trailerrails
03-25-2008, 08:20 AM
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/bik/617445125.html

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/bik/612837282.html

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/bik/602011723.html

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/bik/597756893.html

The first two did not have disc brakes, don't get anything without discs.

The third one is a decent XC rig but is not what he looking for, it is better suited to pedaling up hill and on rolling trails than going down hill.

The fourth one might be an option. I don't know anything about them. If the head tube angle is 68* or less and it has some beefy parts on it then it might work.

jeepxj3
03-25-2008, 11:45 AM
that yellow specilized looks wooped...

2002wranglerX
03-25-2008, 03:21 PM
lol i didn't even look close lol. i was just bored and posting what was local.

jeepxj3
03-26-2008, 10:31 AM
Well im gonna head down to Dirty Hairys after work and check out what they size me up with. Who knows I might even buy something!!! ;)

2002wranglerX
03-26-2008, 11:19 AM
ask for scott, he's always treated me right.

jeepxj3
03-26-2008, 11:45 AM
ask for scott, he's always treated me right.

Will do, Ill tell him Ryan sent me. :023:

ezman
03-26-2008, 06:57 PM
internet.... serious ****ing business...

dan58
03-26-2008, 07:59 PM
What's the story with Cannondale these days? I used to have a F2000 hardtail with you-can't-buy-it-because-Dan58's-cousin-worked-in-R&D-at-Cannondale Ultra fork. I also had a Super V1000 with a lefty. Both ran the CODA disks. I really liked both bikes, and I was riding every day when I was at grad school in Frostburg (mtn bike heaven of the east).
If anything, you know they're still made in good ol'd Bedford County.

trailerrails
03-26-2008, 09:01 PM
C-dale rocks. They are made in the USA unlike a lot of the bikes out there.

jeepxj3
03-27-2008, 09:50 AM
Dirty Hairy's was closed... Ill try again today, they got some odd fawkin hours...

2002wranglerX
03-27-2008, 10:59 AM
oh ya i forgot about that!

a lot of the reason for the odd hours is i know they lead a lot of rides in the spring/summer/fall

jeepxj3
03-27-2008, 11:28 AM
Well they are open today until 8, and I get off at 6, so hopfully I can make it over.

BAD_GNR
03-27-2008, 11:32 AM
and I get off at 6

Waaaaaaaaaaay too much info, pervert.

jeepxj3
03-27-2008, 12:29 PM
Waaaaaaaaaaay too much info, pervert.

Yer mom wanted me to clue you into that one.

jeepxj3
03-27-2008, 09:57 PM
stopped in and spoke to Scott, very knowlageable guy!!!

He pretty much talked me out of a dual suspension bike, especially at my price range. He said for what I have budgeted I can get into a decent 29er. I had no clue what a 29er was until we talked. He clued me in on whats going on in the market and what are the latest trends ect... I could have spent a whole day talking bikes with him, awesome guy! Even clued me in on a few trails, and vice versa. Anyways, he sized me up with a Gary Fisher Cobia. I think im gonna do it, its even on sale and since Joe and I are going to be buying them at the same time, I think we can even get a bit more off. ;)

http://www.fisherbikes.com/img/bikes/2008/640x400/cobia.jpg

Im pumped, who knows I might have a new purchase come Saturday!!!

Spec's on said bike:
Frame Platinum Series 6066 butted and hydroformed aluminum, G2 29" Geometry
Fork RockShox Tora 318 Solo Air 29 w/positive air pressure, Motion Control, rebound, compression, lockout, 80mm travel, G2 offset
Headset Aheadset semi-integrated w/semi-cartridge bearings, sealed
Crank Shimano M442 44/32/22, Octalink
Pedals Alloy platform
Front Derailleur Shimano Deore
Rear Derailleur SRAM X.5
Shifters SRAM X.5
Cassette SRAM PG950 11-34, 9 speed
Handlebar Bontrager Big Sweep, 12d
Stem Bontrager Sport, 10 degree
Saddle Bontrager Race
Seatpost Bontrager Sport
Wheels Shimano M475 disc hubs; Bontrager Ranger disc rims
Tires Bontrager Jones ACX, 29x2.2, folding
Brakeset Avid BB5 mechanical disc w/Avid FR-5 levers

XJchris98
03-27-2008, 10:00 PM
So umm......did you ever get your jeep aligned?

:overkill:

jeepxj3
03-27-2008, 10:18 PM
So umm......did you ever get your jeep aligned?

:overkill:

yes, moving on....

2002wranglerX
03-27-2008, 10:32 PM
very nice.

i bought a paragon 29r.

did you ride one yet? scott had me ride a 26" bike and then a 29r.

the difference was substantial.

jeepxj3
03-27-2008, 10:44 PM
very nice.

i bought a paragon 29r.

did you ride one yet? scott had me ride a 26" bike and then a 29r.

the difference was substantial.

he said I could ride around the store.... It was raining outside or else I would have... I turned down riding around the store, I think I would have made a mess.... :retard:

2002wranglerX
03-27-2008, 10:53 PM
this is what i bought from him and then upgraded from there.

http://www.fisherbikes.com/archive/model/228/bigimage

jeepxj3
03-27-2008, 11:03 PM
this is what i bought from him and then upgraded from there.

http://www.fisherbikes.com/archive/model/228/bigimage

thats pretty much my plan, the Cobia uses the same frame as your Paragon, so ill save around 500 just by getting lower end components.

2002wranglerX
03-28-2008, 12:10 AM
sounds good.

The first thing i did was a Chris King headset, Ritchey Stem, Carbon Bars, 100mm mod to the Reba, and changed over to running tubeless.

I've added some nice CNC brake levers and this summer probably going to upgrade to lighter wheels, Chris King Hubs, and a Thompson Stem.

I thought about upgrading to a 7 or 8" front rotor, but the 6" have been adequate so far.

I also have a Moab Niterider HID headlight for riding at night. i hear the LED's are almost as good though. damn light was like 600 bucks!

jeepxj3
04-01-2008, 09:43 PM
well I did it... I broke down and bought something better than what I orig. planned on. The Cobia wasnt in stock until JUNE, so I said fawk it, and picked up the X-Cal.

http://www.fisherbikes.com/img/bikes/2008/640x400/xcal.jpg

Scott threw in a set of clipless pedals and I bought a pair of shoes.

jeepxj3
04-01-2008, 10:39 PM
Here's the pedals and shoes I got.

Candy Clipless Pedals
http://www.universalcycles.com/images/products/small/10907.jpg

Specialized BG Sport MTB Shoe
http://shop.fahrradnet24.de/images/shoe_mtb_spt_blk.jpg

For anyone thats interested Joe (NorthFaceZJ) and I should be out at Hartwood Acers tomorrow around 6, so if you want to ride, join up!

2002wranglerX
04-01-2008, 10:42 PM
well I did it... I broke down and bought something better than what I orig. planned on. The Cobia wasnt in stock until JUNE, so I said fawk it, and picked up the X-Cal.

http://www.fisherbikes.com/img/bikes/2008/640x400/xcal.jpg

Scott threw in a set of clipless pedals and I bought a pair of shoes.

VERY nice!!!!

did you ask if you can have that front shock changed to 100mm? i did it to my 80mm reba and it made a big difference.

jeepxj3
04-01-2008, 10:50 PM
VERY nice!!!!

did you ask if you can have that front shock changed to 100mm? i did it to my 80mm reba and it made a big difference.

Yeah, im gonna have them do it when I go in for the tune up. He said it would only cost 30 bucks, because they have to recharge it? :102:

NorthFaceZJ
04-01-2008, 11:26 PM
weird! i just got my bike this week....lovin it so far

i was orginally planning on hardtail, but i got this baby for 1 large. nice deal. price tag was 1300.

the season is here!!!

http://www.ozone.es/images/KIKAPU%20DELUXE.jpg

front shox has too much travel, this will be my first upgrade. rides nicee...........

jeepxj3
04-01-2008, 11:37 PM
Tomorrow's Forcast:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v18/JeepXJ3/30.gif
High
48°F
Precip
0%

Its gonna be nice!

2002wranglerX
04-01-2008, 11:39 PM
Yeah, im gonna have them do it when I go in for the tune up. He said it would only cost 30 bucks, because they have to recharge it? :102:

yeah they drain all the oil out of it and completely disassemble the shock.

I hung out with the tech while he did that, changed my headset, and installed my other parts. Learned a lot that day. I'd never set up a headset or rebuilt an air shock.

I'm down for a ride tomorrow. Where are you guys meeting? my ass is pretty outa shape, but i'll try to keep up lol.

I'll try to make it home in time to put my trail tires back on, and charge my front shock (i'm sure it's low on air since it hasn't been ridden all winter.

did you get a shock pump with the bike? if not i'll bring mine so you can try fine tuning it.

NorthFaceZJ
04-01-2008, 11:42 PM
out of shape!? you must not know me. hehe.

how about between 6 and 615 at the parking lot closer to the theatre?

jeepxj3
04-01-2008, 11:50 PM
Ryan, no shock pump. But I do have to snag my tire pump back from my dad who's using it for his Harley's air shocks.... Oh and im sure your out of shape A$$ wont have ANY problem keeping up with us. We were winded by a quick ride up and down the the hill!

We should be there around 6ish, shoot me a PM and ill give you my cell.

NorthFaceZJ
04-01-2008, 11:54 PM
im seriously considering running a 29er + new fork in the front. then keep the current 26 in the rear. may be a little lopsidded, but im sure it will be a nice setup. the bomber fork has to much freaking travel. i locked it out and it still depresses around 3 inches! too hard to manuver.

jeepxj3
04-02-2008, 12:17 AM
im seriously considering running a 29er + new fork in the front. then keep the current 26 in the rear. may be a little lopsidded, but im sure it will be a nice setup. the bomber fork has to much freaking travel. i locked it out and it still depresses around 3 inches! too hard to manuver.

Fox FTW!

This is what a 69er looks like:
http://reviews.mtbr.com/interbike/files/2007/09/img_0177.jpg

2002wranglerX
04-02-2008, 12:40 AM
the 69ris supposed to giveyou he accelleration of a 26 inch bike with he smoothness of a 29r.hardtailwise 29rs are as fast as they come so far.I really want new lighter wheels... but the cheapest is 600ish and the nicely built ones im in twice that far.if you want to run tubeless let me know. ove got a full setup ready to go... I decided im too heavy to run tubeless and the pressure I want to run haha

jeepxj3
04-02-2008, 08:09 AM
my wheels are tubeless ready so all I have to do is pull the tube and inject the gue...

jeepxj3
04-03-2008, 08:08 AM
Shitty Pics from last night.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v18/JeepXJ3/Mountain%20Biking/PIC-0027.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v18/JeepXJ3/Mountain%20Biking/PIC-0028.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v18/JeepXJ3/Mountain%20Biking/PIC-0029.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v18/JeepXJ3/Mountain%20Biking/PIC-0030.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v18/JeepXJ3/Mountain%20Biking/PIC-0031.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v18/JeepXJ3/Mountain%20Biking/PIC-0032.jpg

BAD_GNR
04-03-2008, 08:41 AM
Hartwood, eh?

jeepxj3
04-03-2008, 08:44 AM
Hartwood, eh?

you guessed it!

BAD_GNR
04-03-2008, 08:47 AM
First two pics were a dead giveaway. Who's the metal head (at least that's what they were called when I was riding back in the day)?

jeepxj3
04-03-2008, 08:58 AM
Metal Head? Dude without a helmet?

Cebby
04-03-2008, 09:17 AM
When's the next ride? I need to get my old ass out there!

jeepxj3
04-03-2008, 09:41 AM
When's the next ride? I need to get my old ass out there!

Probably Sat. or Sun. Its gonna rain tonight, and this weekend will be highs in the mid 60's. Oh, and dont worry about being able to keep up, we arent hardcore by any means... Yet... Its hard jumping back on the bike after 5-6 years and expecting to do the same crap as you did 5-6 years ago, when you used to race... Being fat and lazy these past years has really taken a toll on mah abilities.

jeepxj3
04-07-2008, 08:49 AM
Good ride yesterday, hit the trails in Deer Lakes Park, there is a TON of them, and not TOO any uphills! ;)

NorthFaceZJ
04-07-2008, 09:38 AM
great ride.....the trails still need worked. wet/muddy/overgorwn. great ride!

deerlakes is very fast paced, mostly flat with tons of obstacles

2002wranglerX
04-07-2008, 01:25 PM
i was thinkin about cutting outa work today and hitting some trails . . .