PDA

View Full Version : Moab video clip: me really pissed off at an obsticle

OverkillZJ
06-13-2005, 04:49 PM
After watching several Jeeps go up this without problems, I got careless and fell off the first rock, putting me at a bad angle to go up it. After a 20 point turn I was just pissed and wanted up it:

right click, save as:

http://www.mallcrawlin.com/wheelinpics/gsw05/mattpissed.avi

Bill
06-13-2005, 04:56 PM
When in doubt, hit the gas... in true Matthew style!

Glad to see you are having a good time out there!

Cebby
06-13-2005, 08:21 PM
Nice vid. :wink:

MickB
06-13-2005, 10:20 PM
Good video! I really miss that kind-of wheeling! I want to ask a question though, and don't want to come across as a smart ass....what tire pressure were you running? I thought it looked a little high...maybe. I'm still trying to figure out what pressure to run in this terrain. The people I've wheeled with in Pa. don't air down....in CA, I used to airdown to 10psi front and about 12psi rear. Lower for floatation in deep snow during the Sierra Nevada winters...usually 8psi all around. Just curious!

Looked like you had alot of fun! This video is a good testament to the quality of modifications to your rig....otherwise you probably would have broke something! Right on...as they would say in CA! :supz: Any pics from your trip?

Mick

OverkillZJ
06-13-2005, 10:37 PM
Tire pressure was at 11 PSI :)

As always the obsticle looks too easy in the pics / video. I hate that.

I'll try to get some pics up later, I'm just chilling in Moab for a few days before heading somewhere else, I'm kinda wheeled out for the moment. Rusty Nail almost put my rig over a cliff, I wanted to piss my pants.

dp
06-13-2005, 10:41 PM
Awesome vid Matt..I'm sure you got more coming. It's cool to see a vehicle that I know pretty well and helped work on actually doing some of the stuff I only see on tv or vid clips on the internet.

MickB
06-14-2005, 08:50 AM
As always the obsticle looks too easy in the pics / video. I hate that.

There is no doubt in my mind, about how difficult that obstacle is....your statement is so true....pictures/video always make the terrain look easier.
Some of the obstacles there (MOAB) you can't describe in words, you just have to experience them or try to walk them. It is amazing the amount of traction you get on those rocks though! Have a great time!

Mick

r6cyclegal
06-14-2005, 12:50 PM
I can't watch the video but I've seen "mattpissed" on the trails before so I can imagine the frustrated and gun the engine part. :lol:

I hope you're having fun and I'm glad to hear no real damage so far. Keep the wheels down!! :wink:

OverkillZJ
06-14-2005, 02:42 PM
I hope you're having fun and I'm glad to hear no real damage so far. Keep the wheels down!! :wink:

Wheels down? I had all 4 wheels in the air more than once!

I think I may've twisted my steering column though, but I'm not surprised with all with the rocks i wedged my tires between.

That means my to do list is:

tube + custom canvas top
bigger master cylinder for better brakes
hydro assist

Other than that, I've been EXTREMELY pleased with how everything under the jeep performs. I think the suspension and drivetrain has outgrown the jeep itself though, hell, almost everything electrical stopped working too.

Rubicon fell through, and all steering columns considered, I'm not too sad about it. My brother, Mark, and Jill meeting here here tomorrow to head off to the Grand Canyon for some scenic wheeling / camping / hiking / horseback riding, should be a nice change of pace from all the VROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM I've been hearing 8)

PK
06-15-2005, 12:08 PM
Excellent finesse.

danzay
06-18-2005, 08:12 PM
Hey Matt i just thought i would throw in some of my pics from Moab i didnt get any of you. We were never on the same trail i had to stick to the easier stuff on this trip and still managed to twist my right rear axel. I still had a blast though and will be plannin on going again next year.

http://photobucket.com/albums/y183/danzay/grand%20slam%20west%202005/

r6cyclegal
06-20-2005, 09:27 AM
Nice Pics!! It's so pretty out there!! 8)

LordAthens
06-21-2005, 10:49 AM
I'm glad to see your taillight housings are still in one piece ;)

OverkillZJ
06-21-2005, 11:49 AM
I'm glad to see your taillight housings are still in one piece ;)
LMFAO, they're not.

One side is almost all repair tape now. I cracked them on the trail as usual, then driving to Arizona, it ripped off in the wind and I watched it shatter on the ground.

LordAthens
06-22-2005, 11:23 PM
You need to weld in some replacement body panels there and install recessed LED's :)

r6cyclegal
06-23-2005, 09:24 AM
You need to weld in some replacement body panels there and install recessed LED's :)

How about he just stop hitting things??? :lol:

Bill
06-23-2005, 09:35 AM
Why weld in replacement body panels when you bent the unibody? It is tube buggy time! :wink:

OverkillZJ
06-23-2005, 11:39 AM
It's not buggy time, but it is tube time. I've got an idea for an internal/exo skeliton to take most of the forces off of the unibody.

The lights aren't crackign because I'm hitting things, they're cracking because when I flex out, the unibody flexes and the steel bumper doesn't, the plastic gets crushed between the two.

Stupid bumper.

Bill
06-23-2005, 11:54 AM
unibody... we don't need no stinkin' unibody!

r6cyclegal
06-23-2005, 12:45 PM
The lights aren't crackign because I'm hitting things, they're cracking because when I flex out, the unibody flexes and the steel bumper doesn't, the plastic gets crushed between the two.

Stupid bumper.

Ohh :smt115

MF Steve!
06-23-2005, 04:58 PM
when you return...ill be fabricating you some solid steel corners with round led brake and reverse lights...

OverkillZJ
06-23-2005, 05:19 PM
when you return...ill be fabricating you some solid steel corners with round led brake and reverse lights...

No complaints here :D

I just spent the last two hours trying to repair all the frayed wiring in my doors, now I have electric windows again, I couldn't even put them down for the last thousand miles...

I'm heading to meet Mark at a campground for 3 more days of wheeling, time to go put some more dents in the heep :lol:

Back online on Tuesday I guess