PDA

View Full Version : ARB Bull Bar - 1, Deer - 0

Bill
06-13-2005, 04:53 PM
Well, the Bull Bar paid for itself a few times over last night. I was heading home and coming down Moon-Clinton Road late last night when out of nowhere came this deer.

I was going about 40-45mph heading down the hill when a doe jumped out of the woods on the passenger's side of the Jeep and tried to make it across the road. Needless to say the deer didn't make it. I locked up all four of the brakes and downshifted into 2nd doing everything I could just to avoid the deer. It wasn't enough. The deer made it to the driver's side of the vehicle but then was struck by the Bull Bar and ended up under the front driver's side TrXus 33x12.5x15. The deer (now mangled) scattered into the field and then the woods to the left of the Jeep. The deer's hind legs were toast, but that little thing scurried into the woods pretty quickly.

I stopped the Jeep, got out and checked for damage. It held up perfectly, there were a couple of chunks of deer meat and fur on a few spots, but no body damage at all. There was quite a bit of fur scattered across the road too. I really plowed that thing, I was suprised at how well the Jeep(ARB) held up!

ARB - 1, deer - 0.

I would have taken pictures of the deer chunks, but that was just NASTY!

mrpistol
06-13-2005, 06:58 PM
:worthless:

(sorry, had to)

Bill
06-13-2005, 07:17 PM
There is no damage... that is the great thing about the whole incident. I am sure that if I would have been driving my car last night instead of the Jeep that I would have be filing quite the insurance claim today...

mrpistol
06-13-2005, 09:09 PM
i was talking about the chunks and/or bambi......
only joking of course, but i do think i've been desensitized to dead deer with all the carnage you see next to the roads (some areas are worse than others)
'dead-deer-cleaner-upper' has to suck

leonw
06-15-2005, 08:13 PM
Funny you mention the "dead deer cleaner upper". I got behind one on Rt 19 in North Strabane. This old pickup truck was so loaded with dead deer, the rear end was almost draggin. I passed quickly so I didn't catch the aroma of about 15 deer in different stages of decomposition.

I can't believe I've never hit one. Believe it or not, I have blasted the horn at deer that were heading out in front of me, and they stopped dead in their tracks. I saw them coming though. If you see one cross ahead of you, they say watch out, cuz there may be another one following.