PDA

View Full Version : Help with handgun purchase

Jpdst29
02-04-2008, 02:30 PM
ok...here is the deal. my moms birthday is coming up and i want to get her a handgun/and shooting lessons somewhere. she has alot of firearms experience just not with handguns. i know i should take her to a gun shop and see what gun she likes but i want to surprise her so i am at a fork in the road i guess. she is of small frame. probably 5' and about 100lbs. what would be a good gun for her? and also where are some good places that she could take shooting lessons at.

or do you think i should just scrap this idea as a surprise and let her pick out her own gun?

MF Steve!
02-04-2008, 02:33 PM
I'd buy her a gift certificate. You can't buy someone else a gun and expect them to be 100% comfortable with it unless they told you exactly what to buy. Sportsmans Warehouse up at Camp Horne would be a good place to get her a certificate. There is also ACE in Washington if you wanna get ripped off.

As for lessons...good luck. The only place I can think of for that is Anthony Arms in West Mifflin. Buncha f-tards.

Jpdst29
02-04-2008, 02:37 PM
i figured as much steve. gift certificate it is then. what are the price ranges for handguns. would say 600 be enough for a decent gun for her or not? granted i still have no clue what she would pick out.

LBF
02-04-2008, 03:02 PM
FWIW,

I would highly recommend a Taurus Total Titanium in .38spl, they are nice small revolvers, light weight and easy to control. I've known a few people with them and I've shot them myself before. For as light as they are, and as small, you would expect them to be hard to control, but they come with factory porting next to the front sight which works impressively well at making the gun easily controllable.

Either that or get her a gift certificate.

I don't know of any places that teach about it, I would say just find someone who is good with handguns to help teach the ins and outs about it. I've shown several people now how to handle both long guns and hand guns, along with dissassembly and cleaning.

Muzikman
02-04-2008, 03:10 PM
NRA has some great training programs and there are some places in Western PA that offer them.

http://www.nrahq.org/education/training/basictraining.asp

2002wranglerX
02-04-2008, 03:13 PM
I'm actually also a fan of the titanium .38's that taurus makes. Good bang for buck.

My sister has a Bersa .380

I know bersa has a questionable reputation, but i'll tell ya what. That little gun is SUPER accurate! never missfired or jammed . .. . i was thoroughly impressed for 230 bucks!

Bill
02-04-2008, 03:50 PM
Jerome, give me a call... I may have a line on what you are looking for.

jeepxj3
02-04-2008, 03:55 PM
my mom would freak the fawk out if I gave her a hand gun...

Muzikman
02-04-2008, 04:01 PM
And i don't think she has to worry about that happening.

Jpdst29
02-04-2008, 04:17 PM
thanks guys...she is going to be so excited to get it. she has always talked about getting one but never really made the effort to go for it. she is basically going to use it for home protection. she has alot of firearms, shotguns, rifles, etc...but she feels a handgun would be better for home protection. bill...i will give you a call this week and you can discuss this over with me. thanks.

Muzikman
02-04-2008, 04:34 PM
IMO when it comes to home protection you can't get better than a shotgun.

Jpdst29
02-04-2008, 04:42 PM
IMO when it comes to home protection you can't get better than a shotgun.

i agree. but some people would disagree. i have heard people say that if you have other family members in the house, it poses more potential risk to them due to the spread a shotgun makes if you were to miss your intended target. i disagree though because if i would hope that a person would be able to use the gun they are protecting themselves with. plus...at close range, how can you miss with a shotgun??? lol.

Muzikman
02-04-2008, 04:45 PM
There can always be stray bullets. I would rather get hit with stray shot than a .38. :)

dslang
02-04-2008, 05:02 PM
Shotgun or hand gun? Get both Tarus is now making the Judge its a 5 shot revolver that fires 45 long colt or .410 shotgun. :023:

Alley
02-04-2008, 05:05 PM
I think this is an excellent birthday present idea, I'd be quite extatic if someone got me a gun for my birthday!

Jpdst29
02-04-2008, 05:10 PM
There can always be stray bullets. I would rather get hit with stray shot than a .38. :)

good point :003: