PDA

View Full Version : Sears sucks!!!

r6cyclegal
07-13-2005, 04:51 PM
OK so I took my Jeep to Sears since I can get free tire rotations. I called ahead and said I needed a new stud too. (When I changed the brakes on Sat we had to drill a stud out since I stripped a lug nut.) They said it would take 1/2 to 1 hour since they were slow. Cool. 8)

So I show up and the lady tells me I can't get my tires rotated since my name isn't listed on the tire receipt since I got the hook-up with prices. I fought till she agreed to change it. I wanted her to replace all the lug nuts since they would have them off anyway. They have NO lug nuts there?????? WTF?? :x Fine just do the stud and rotate the tires. Oh no they can't do the stud. They have to order it from the dealer! That's why I called and asked first! Fine just rotate the tires. It took her 35-40 mins to fill out the paperwork. :evil: I said I am on my lunch hour so she has 30 mins to finish the work.

90 mins, 1 CD, a pen and 2 dresses later (I was at the Village) she calls to say it's done. I go to pick it up and the guy says the brakes need looked at and the front caliper needs fixed?!?!? I was like bring out whoever wrote that because I just replaced the brakes on Sat!! I flipped. Thank goodness they didn't try to charge me for anything! My boss didn't yell about the 2 hour lunch yet.

So Matt, good friend, great guy, the one with the great Jeep, how hard is it to replace a stud? :prayer:

How safe is it for me to drive it since it's going to rain for the next week, so I can't take the motorcycle anywhere?

dp
07-14-2005, 08:28 AM
You have 4 outta 5 lug nuts on still? You're fine for all intents and purposes. You won't pass inspection, obviously. Is it a front or a rear? You drilled it out, so I'm assuming the stud is all the way gone? It should be easy to replace -- pop the new stud in (there's usually a notch either in the hub surface so you can fit it or in MOST AFTERMARKET studs to allow you to fit it in without taking your hub assembly off. Then, get it in place, throw two washers on and an open-ended, disposable lug nut, and pull the stud through...really crank it down. and you're done.

Bill
07-14-2005, 09:16 AM
Take it up to your local mechanic and let them throw one on for you. You shouldn't let amateurs s play with your Jeep... Things tend to break! :p

r6cyclegal
07-14-2005, 09:16 AM
DP Thank you for the response. It's the front stud and it's not drilled out all the way. Do I drill the rest out or is there an easier way to remove the old one? I did see a kit at Sears and wondered if I could replace the stud myself. Sears did say that they wouldn't have to remove the hub to do it so hopefully I wouldn't either.

r6cyclegal
07-14-2005, 09:18 AM
Take it up to your local mechanic and let them throw one on for you. You shouldn't let amateurs s play with your Jeep... Things tend to break! :p

How many times did I let you do things to my Jeep? You'd think I'd learn!

$50 for someone to do it or I could. I guess I have to take the wheel off to check the brakes anyway since Sears said something is wrong with them but didn't fix them?!?

Bill
07-14-2005, 09:20 AM
It shouldn't cost you much at all to run it up to Crafton Automotive or over to Bojarski's and have them do it. It is SOOOOOOOOO much easier to do with air tools too!

TRUST ME... I know what I am talking about here and I know what tools you have and your capabilities (THIS IS NOT A SHOT AT YOU!) Take it to the shop.

Bill
07-14-2005, 09:21 AM
How many times did I let you do things to my Jeep? You'd think I'd learn!

Don't even try it... I have been doing a top-notch job on your vehicles for YEARS! :roll:

r6cyclegal
07-14-2005, 09:32 AM
It shouldn't cost you much at all to run it up to Crafton Automotive or over to Bojarski's and have them do it. It is SOOOOOOOOO much easier to do with air tools too!

Ah It's $50. I called around. :P Walmart doesn't do it before you suggest them. They have to order a stud from the dealer also.

BTW: You are the one that brought up the amateurs working on my Jeep. :p You are also the one that talked me into doing my own brakes on my Tracker and Jeep in the first place :roll:

Bill
07-14-2005, 09:59 AM
Call Crafton Auto and Bojarski's... I would bet that they only want about $25-$30 to do it.

r6cyclegal
07-14-2005, 10:04 AM
The cheapest I found for labor is 30-35 plus the stud and lug nut which are WAY over priced. 8O I called around here. I can't get it to Crafton and John started ripping me off years ago so I stopped going there.
I'll either take it by work for 35+ or do it myself. It sounds real easy.

Bill
07-14-2005, 10:30 AM
It is easy... If you have the physical ability to beat it into place with a dead blow hammer or if you have air tools to slide it into place.

I don't think you have either of those right now, so...

Suck it up! Pay the money! You may not be happy about paying the money, but you will be even more miserable trying to go at it yourself.

Cebby
07-14-2005, 10:47 AM
These shops will take MAYBE 10 minutes to do it. They will knock the stud out with an airhammer and blunt tip, not drill it. Then in goes the new one.

OverkillZJ
07-14-2005, 11:08 AM
You're not putting a stud in place with a dead blow, most dead blows are designed not to mar the surface but apply good force, but they have too much give with the rubber end . BFH, but that's if the hubs off and in a vice. DP's right about just gunning it down to pull it through, easiest way since you don't have to remove the hub. Air hammer to get it off > *.*

I can't help any time soon, I've got waaaaaaaaaaay too many projects on my plate, I'm playing catch up since I got home.

I'd suggest going to napa and getting the studs, they sell them each, and cheap. I usually keep a stock of them here just in case. Then get to a shop. I don't know why shops mark parts up like 99999%

Cebby
07-14-2005, 12:13 PM
Air hammer to get it off > *.*

That's how we did my stub shaft to CV studs. Piece o' cake.

http://rigs.corequipment.com/Cebby/93%204Runner/Diffs/Install%20with%20DMG%20005.jpg

These are splined, press in studs. Aren't the wheel studs the same animal?

r6cyclegal
07-15-2005, 10:19 AM
OK Something has been rattling since it was at Sears so last night I pulled the tire and brakes. I can't find anything wrong with it. There is nothing on backwards/upsidedown/wrong. :dunno Everything is fine. I am happy though that my stock jack still works on my Jeep with the lift and tires!! :smile

I did find that the bolts that hold the brakes on move (sideways, they are tight). Are they supposed to wiggle or are there bushings in there that are shot? I'm guessing that is what is rattling.

OverkillZJ
07-15-2005, 12:19 PM
You mean the slide pins that hold the calipers on? They're supposed to only be tightened down to 13 ft pounds, otherwise the knuckle strips out (word of caution.) The caliper should be able to slide parallel to the axle tube, that's what allows the pads to squeeze and release. If you're talking about a lot of play perpendicular to the axle though, that's not good.

r6cyclegal
07-15-2005, 12:29 PM
There's 2 allen bolts that hold the top part on, that the pads go in. Then there are 2 bolts that hold the whole thing on the rotor that we had to remove to replace the rotor. Those bolts wiggle sideways.

Sorry for not knowing the correct names for things. I am a girl. :)

OverkillZJ
07-15-2005, 12:36 PM
Maybe WJ brakes are a little different and I'm not remembering, I'm having trouble picturing it. ZJ's just have two bolts holding the caliper (thingy that holds the pads) to the knuckle / rotor

r6cyclegal
07-15-2005, 12:56 PM
Maybe WJ brakes are a little different and I'm not remembering, I'm having trouble picturing it. ZJ's just have two bolts holding the caliper (thingy that holds the pads) to the knuckle / rotor

Right: they are allen bolts. Then there are 2 big bolts that hold the base to the rotors. They are tight (on the ends) but can be moved around in the hole. It's like there should be bushings there. Since they move, the entire brake assembly can be wiggled away from the rotor. (It will not pull off but it can move around) The brakes do work even if you slam them on 8O Had to try it.

dp
07-15-2005, 07:56 PM
The caliper will probably wiggle some...but not much.

To get the stud out, you need a BFH, like Matt said. Depending on how low it's cut, you may also need a punch. It's not a hard job, by any means, but you definately need air to get the new stud in.

r6cyclegal
07-19-2005, 01:52 PM
OK final verdict is the threads in the bracket are stripped. :cry: This caused the screw to come out and the new screw I put in to not tighten.
The shop I took it to still can't figure out what Sears meant about the bracket being upsidedown? I have half a mind to take it back to Sears and make them show me, but they wouldn't let me talk to the mechanic in the first place. :x
Ofcourse the shop is having a hard time getting the bracket and the stud. How many studs can they make and why do Jeeps need to use different parts than all the rest of the cars in the world????

OverkillZJ
07-19-2005, 02:15 PM
Stripped is no big deal any more, HeliCoils are your friend...

r6cyclegal
07-19-2005, 04:03 PM
Stripped is no big deal any more, HeliCoils are your friend...

I have no idea what that is. :huh They did find and order the parts.

Bill
07-19-2005, 04:21 PM
So what is the final verdict? What is this going to cost you? :?

YJBeef
07-19-2005, 08:19 PM
A stripped stud takes about 10 mins. with no air.......haven't you guys ever worked with hand tools before....................god, somebody go help her........

LordAthens
07-26-2005, 01:00 PM
Heidi, did you get this straightened out yet?

r6cyclegal
07-26-2005, 01:52 PM
Yes I just took it to a shop and it was alittle over a hundred but it's all better now :D

Welcome back. How was the vaca? 8)