PDA

View Full Version : Mechanic recommendation

BlueDevil
07-19-2005, 05:43 PM
Greetings,

I'm new to town (living in the Carnegie area) and looking for a trustworthy mechanic. I have a '94 ZJ that has been driven a few miles in its day (~170k), is fairly stock, and needs regular work. Unfortunately I must admit that I am not good at fixing stuff and often will pay professionals for their help (I know it is a sin to admit this on a Jeep forum so please cut me some slack).

I found the posts related to body shops in the area but didn't see anything related to mechanics. Your recommendations (anything that will keep me away from the dreaded Dealer) are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. I hope to meet you guys on the trail.

-BlueDevil

MF Steve!
07-19-2005, 05:47 PM
welcome. lol...we are the mechanics. weekend wrenching all the time. usually not on ones own rig either. what kinda stuff are you looking to accomplish?

OverkillZJ
07-19-2005, 06:43 PM
You didn't see posts relating to mechanics since the majority of us have been burned and learned to do it ourselves through trial and error :lol:

Bill
07-19-2005, 06:44 PM
Just dont let blackbox or r6cyclegirl do your brake-work.... :roll:

(Oh, that was too easy!)

r6cyclegal
07-20-2005, 08:26 AM
Just dont let blackbox or r6cyclegirl do your brake-work.... :roll:

(Oh, that was too easy!)

FU Didn't see you offering to help. You can't do it without air tools and you don't have airtools so they never got done.

Bill
07-20-2005, 11:14 AM
Women...

Brakes are easily done without air tools... Replacing broken studs is a different story.

(IT WAS A JOKE... SUCK IT UP!)

r6cyclegal
07-20-2005, 01:00 PM
Than why could you and I never do them? We always had to bother someone else to help(DP)?

I am a girl with no tools and I was able to use my stock jack (yeah it sucked but what was I to do) and pull my tire and brakes by hand, by myself and check them. (Granted to do the actual job of replacing them I had help and better tools)

r6cyclegal
07-20-2005, 01:05 PM
Greetings,

I'm new to town (living in the Carnegie area) and looking for a trustworthy mechanic. I have a '94 ZJ that has been driven a few miles in its day (~170k), is fairly stock, and needs regular work. Unfortunately I must admit that I am not good at fixing stuff and often will pay professionals for their help (I know it is a sin to admit this on a Jeep forum so please cut me some slack).

I found the posts related to body shops in the area but didn't see anything related to mechanics. Your recommendations (anything that will keep me away from the dreaded Dealer) are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. I hope to meet you guys on the trail.

-BlueDevil

Back to the real topic:
I can't recommend anyone local. I have a hard time not being taken advantage of at mechanics since I am a girl. I am currantly going to the mechanic that my work uses for their fleet of trucks, (when I have to) so they have a reason to not take advantage of me. I would love to do everything myself but I don't have the tools and knowledge, so sometimes you just have to pay someone else, something besides beer, to do work for you.

leonw
07-20-2005, 02:14 PM
It depends what kind of work you need done. I can recommend someone bad that you can't trust for transmission/rear end work. I can also recommend someone that you can't depend on for exhaust work....etc Finding a great mechanic that you can trust is like hitting the lottery. Unfortunately no one is coming up with a good one, but this is a thread I will be watching closely too. I only do minor wrenching myself. I wish I knew more.

170K miles on that ZJ huh, hey I noticed someone is selling one with only 95k miles in the Marketplace forum. I've seen it, it's nice. Why not step up to something "newer" ? haha. (OK I'm busted, it's mine, and I'm sure this shameless plug is against the rules somehow )

What does yours look like? Maybe I've seen it around.

Again, what kind of work are you looking to get done, or are you just looking for a good all around shop?

DMG
07-20-2005, 02:59 PM
Since noone is coming up with anything, I am a mechanic and do sidework. What do you need done?

Also, if you need help with doing something yourself that you aren't sure about or don't have the tools for, I don't mind helping with that occaisonally.

David

OverkillZJ
07-20-2005, 03:18 PM
Since noone is coming up with anything, I am a mechanic and do sidework. What do you need done?

Also, if you need help with doing something yourself that you aren't sure about or don't have the tools for, I don't helping with that occaisonally.

David

I can vouch for Dave's working being excellent, he has much more patience than me :lol:

The gears he set in my HP30 held up to things a Dana 60 shouldn't be put through let alone a puny lil' 30.

BlueDevil
07-20-2005, 07:51 PM
Thanks for taking the time to help me with your suggestions.

Right now there isn't anything pressing that I need to fix, however, I know that sometime sooner rather than later my ZJ will require another repair. I am hoping to find someone prior to that. There isn't any better way to get shafted than to have a pressing problem without having found someone that can be trusted.

-BlueDevil

leonw: my ZJ is forest green and appears totally stock except for one replaced window that is the wrong tint color.

notmYJ
12-16-2005, 09:14 AM
I would say check out Domination Chassis in Carnegie, 412-999-1910. I used for work for Jay. He is pretty much the only one that works there. He does all mechanical repair, engine/transmission/T-Case rebuilds, cust fabrication. He can can weld and fab up any metal, stainless, chro/mo, Aluminum, etc. Give him a call, if you need somthing.

RalphXJ
12-16-2005, 11:26 AM
Stull Automotive in Leechburg, its a drive up 28, but Jay knows his shit!! Specilizes in Jeeps, but will do anything!!!! He helped me with all my work on my XJ for the full width axles! My XJ is currently up there again!

He can do anything from oil changes, to lifts and custom axles to basicly anything you need!!! He is a member of NEC, HRJA, and Blacklist. He knows his stuff, and he wheels his stuff!!

Anyone who was at the 4wd.com M&G this year, he was the trial guide for the stock group in the Dark Red TJ!

Jay also sells Winch Ropes and Fairleads (any color)!

2002wranglerX
12-16-2005, 07:27 PM
Stull Automotive in Leechburg, its a drive up 28, but Jay knows his shit!! Specilizes in Jeeps, but will do anything!!!! He helped me with all my work on my XJ for the full width axles! My XJ is currently up there again!

He can do anything from oil changes, to lifts and custom axles to basicly anything you need!!! He is a member of NEC, HRJA, and Blacklist. He knows his stuff, and he wheels his stuff!!

Anyone who was at the 4wd.com M&G this year, he was the trial guide for the stock group in the Dark Red TJ!

Jay also sells Winch Ropes and Fairleads (any color)!

either him or urbanek

OverkillZJ
12-17-2005, 01:11 AM
well hello post from 6 MONTHS AGO!

notmYJ
12-17-2005, 03:21 AM
well hello post from 6 MONTHS AGO!

Not my fault this is a slow board. What, does everyone only check in once a month? WTF?? I have been a member for 2 days, and I belive that I am 3rd highest poster!!!

What happened?? did all you guys go into hibernation??? C'mon, this is THE time to be wrenching if not runnin in the snow. :D

BTW, Brandon and I found out how to get in the closed roads in South Park. Can make for an interesting time in 4in of snow, at 4AM, runnin 45MPH. :D :D But that is a story for another day. :wink:

YJBeef
12-18-2005, 02:47 PM
What happened?? did all you guys go into hibernation??? C'mon, this is THE time to be wrenching if not runnin in the snow.

Which is why they're not on here as often!!!

OverkillZJ
12-18-2005, 02:49 PM
What happened?? did all you guys go into hibernation??? C'mon, this is THE time to be wrenching if not runnin in the snow.

Which is why they're not on here as often!!!

Word! I spend all my time working so I can pay for parts for wrenchin. I've got a buggy to build by spring!

RalphXJ
12-18-2005, 10:24 PM
Hey OverkillZJ, you should have come out with Jeff(happycamper) on friday night, it was defenetly a good time!!

OverkillZJ
12-19-2005, 02:15 AM
Hey OverkillZJ, you should have come out with Jeff(happycamper) on friday night, it was defenetly a good time!!

I wanted to! But I was doing an SBS install.... Which brought in 4 grand for one weekends work. You woulda worked too, they're rare but PROFITABLE!

RalphXJ
12-19-2005, 08:33 AM
Ya thats what Jeff said, I dont blame ya!

I made a dollar that night by jumping over a parking meter!!! :roll:

OverkillZJ
12-19-2005, 07:03 PM
Ya thats what Jeff said, I dont blame ya!

I made a dollar that night by jumping over a parking meter!!! :roll:

I'd give up my weekends profit to see you do it 4,000 times :finga:

Well... after a few!

RalphXJ
12-19-2005, 08:14 PM
4000 in a row, or could it be the same one 4000 times?

OverkillZJ
12-20-2005, 02:11 AM
4000 in a row, or could it be the same one 4000 times?

Hell either one would be worth watching!