PDA

View Full Version : Lame ass question about tcase

PK
07-22-2005, 11:25 AM
I easily removed and drained the tcase fluid for the first time out of my 242 case in the ZJ. Looked good.

When I went to remove the top plug to fill, I couldn't. Just plain out, couldn't. The plug is a bigger sized socket than anything I had, and no amount of wrenching or monkey (wrenching) around with it helped.

In the end, in order to work around the problem, I filled it from the speedo hole! Which was a lot messier, and less accurate on fluid levels. So, I'd like to pull the fill hole at some point, but I'm stumped about getting the plug out.

Ideas? :)

Told you it was a lame ass question.

OverkillZJ
07-22-2005, 12:37 PM
Are you talking about the hex plug thing? I got a set of Leslie's, the biggest of which fit that plug at Advance Auto for around $15, well worth the money! A torx will fit in there too, but it's not really made for it.

That had to be messy filling from the speedo gear hole :lol:

EDIT: just notice you have the 242, I've never touched one so I might be wrong about the socket type. My 249 had the same plug as my 231HD though so I was assuming it's the same?

PK
07-22-2005, 12:42 PM
If all else fails, I'll let you tack a big nut on the end of it that I can use to pull it. The problem is it is very low clearance so every wrench I put on it just eventually slips off by hitting another part of the tcase.

PS - Filling from the speedo hole works, but it is slow going without overflowing. :)