PDA

View Full Version : Bull bars

TimMichaels
07-26-2005, 11:32 PM
The time has come to waste a few hundred dollars that I scored from my graduation party on something for the Jeep instead of for college behind my parents' backs. :roll:

I've put some thought into where I should go with my ZJ from where it stands now... 2" BB, 31's, Surco roof rack, APC roof-mounted lights.... I think my next step will be the mighty ARB Bull Bar. Pretty pricey but from what I've seen and read they seem worth it.

So a few questions... Is this really a good next step for my Jeep? Can anyone tell me first hand how these things really are? Is the install difficult? Can a winch be added later or is it better to do it all in one shot? Where can I find a decent deal on one of these? Are there any carriers that I could drive to personally to pick up to take off the cost of shipping? What are the odds of finding a used one of these somewhere?

Thanks in advance...

OverkillZJ
07-26-2005, 11:55 PM
Mighty? Production line junk. It's just folded sheet metal that kills your approach angle, mine's coming off this winter. Your money would be better spent having someone like BlackBoxRennegade build you a custom one.

The real question is: How does it help your rig? It's just a hunk of metal that gives space for a winch. If you're not getting a winch for awhile anyway, really no point. What about sliders or strong skids?

Cebby
07-27-2005, 12:44 AM
The real question is: How does it help your rig? It's just a hunk of metal that gives space for a winch. If you're not getting a winch for awhile anyway, really no point. What about sliders or strong skids?

Good posting! Wait until you can fill the bumper with a winch or have something custom made for winch.

r6cyclegal
07-27-2005, 10:46 AM
But it looks cool. 8) If I wasn't so cheap I'd have one. :wink:

DMG
07-27-2005, 02:03 PM
I had one on my 4runner for years and it IS an awesome bumper. If you hit a deer or another car you will be very glad it is on their and has 12 mounting bolts.

I removed mine and sold it because it was eating up some (not too much) approach angle and would not fit well with future suspension/bl mods.

If you plan on turning it into a hardcore rig it will be ok, not a great choice but for a DD/mallcrawler/family hauler it is excellent.

MF Steve!
07-27-2005, 03:09 PM
so...since im making all these zj bumpers, this board needs a fabrication section in the forum. and i need a plasma cutter and a tig welder. along w/ a 20 ton hydro-bender and a nice size metal brake...haha

Bill
07-27-2005, 03:51 PM
I can tell you that yes, My Bull Bar has a negative effect on my approach angle. I can also tell you that it has already saved me much more than it cost. I CRUSHED the rear end of a deer and not a cratch on the Bull Bar. I am sure the Jeep would have sustained thousands of dollars in damage had I not had the Bull Bar on it.

JeepGeneral
07-27-2005, 03:59 PM
I agree they look awesome, especially on ZJs. However, I agree with Matt, I would spend my money on something with more function. You can buy a few skid plates or a real nice set of rocker guards for the same amount. The peace of mind you get with undercarriage protection is well worth the money.

Tom

r6cyclegal
07-27-2005, 04:35 PM
You can buy a few skid plates or a real nice set of rocker guards for the same amount. The peace of mind you get with undercarriage protection is well worth the money.

Unless you drive like me and slide on the drivers side door more often then the undercarriage 8O

Hey Steve can you make me a bull bar that circles the entire vehicle so I get less dents? :lol: Some of the people on here will agree I need it :wink:

TimMichaels
07-27-2005, 08:45 PM
I was aware of the approach angle issue, but I'm not terribly concerned with that. I don't normally get myself into trails tough enough where my approach angle is a problem (departure angle always seems to be a different story...) What I would like is the peace of mind of having a winch, as I usually wheel solo and using come-alongs and the like are not a fun way to get recovered.

Black Box, what would be a ball park estimate on one of your custom fabs for my ZJ?

Overkill, would you be willing to sell your used ARB if you remove it?

OverkillZJ
07-27-2005, 09:15 PM

... As of the run on Saturday, I don't think you want it any more :lol:

Bill
07-27-2005, 10:10 PM

You mean what is left of it? :roll: :lol:

TimMichaels
07-29-2005, 04:58 PM

How bad is it? I have a friend who is a hell of a welder and said he could probably fix it up if it has cracks or the like.