PDA

View Full Version : XJ Lift Good Friday

BigZees
03-17-2008, 11:33 AM
Ok, first off I am posting this here because I would rather have 2 or 3 of you guys come to help rather than 6 or 8 :asshat:'s. You guys > them. Sorry I am biased.

If you would be interested in helping please post it here. I would like to start a list and see who is coming and when. Then I'll shoot up directions. I will probably need help Friday and Saturday, but will take any help I can get. Bear in mind, the jackass that I am, I hurt myself. I can do most things, but heavy pulling / lifting is out. If need be I'll post in general, but prefer to ask here first. ;)

That said. I just got off of the phone with RE, they tracked my lift kit, it is in New Stanton and will be delivered today. I also called Currie and my hub kit is sitting in New Stanton as well.

I took Thursday off of work to gather all the little stuff, and perhaps get the buggy in the garage and in the air. I would really like to start Friday morning asap. That gives me all day Friday / Saturday to get anything I might have forgot. Sunday being Easter, nothing will be open and most people will be with their families.

I will be doing the lift at my moms. Several of you have been there. Most haven't. I have a 2 car garage, with a compressor, welders, lathe, mill and most other tools we may need. Both bays will be free. There are few tools I will need that I do not have. They are...

1) Spring compressor. ( I know I won't really need it, but what the hell.)
2) U-Joint Tool. Like the one below in the link. If anyone has one I'll kiss your boots to borrow it. I need to replace the joints for my hub kit and using a vice / sockets and a hammer isn't appealing. http://www.rockcrawler.com/techreports/ujointtool/index.asp
3) Deepwell 18mm socket. I might go out and buy one. If I remember it.

If there is anything you think I may be missing, or have suggestions please feel free to tell me.

I plan on having a cooler with drinks / soda / water. I will gladly buy beer afterwards. I will get pizza when we get hungry.

OverkillZJ
03-17-2008, 11:37 AM
I was already thinking about taking Friday off this week, I'm slow as hell right now. Unless something comes up, I can probably help you Friday afternoon on, and I have all of the tools you mentioned. I won't really know for sure until Thursday (since the workload can change) - but I'm in for Saturday for sure!

MF Steve!
03-17-2008, 11:41 AM
I was already thinking about taking Friday off this week, I'm slow as hell right now. Unless something comes up, I can probably help you Friday afternoon on, and I have all of the tools you mentioned. I won't really know for sure until Thursday (since the workload can change) - but I'm in for Saturday for sure!

Corolla carpool?

---

I'd be down for coming out for sure. I'm the type of person that gets into stuff and does everything I possibly can to get it done. If DMG doesn't need the cordless more balls than air impact, I'll bring that too. I'll sacrfice my back for your ribs :flipoff2:

MF Steve!
03-17-2008, 11:45 AM
Oh ya...Did you PB Blast any fasteners yet? I'd start now!

OverkillZJ
03-17-2008, 11:46 AM
Corolla carpool?

---

I'd

I think that could be arranged, but your head might be out the sunroof

BigZees
03-17-2008, 11:50 AM
Everything is blasted. I have 1/2" impact, plus a speed gun. :)

On a side note. I guess putting the hub kit in prior to throwing axle up in might be a good idea. I can lock axle movement with a pry bar through the axle u-joint area. 1/2" impact on the spindle nut should pop it out. I have it blasted already.

JeepGeneral
03-17-2008, 11:56 AM
I work until 5PM on Friday, I can be there after that if you're still wrenching late into the evening.

BigZees
03-17-2008, 12:13 PM
I work until 5PM on Friday, I can be there after that if you're still wrenching late into the evening.

I'll be wrenching till my eyes bleed. So I'm sure I'll be there after 5:00
grab Ralph on your way :P

BigZees
03-17-2008, 02:42 PM
Poor UPS bastid. I'm sure when my name appears on a package he breaks out the Zee's voodoo doll and starts with the pins. Between tires / rims, leaf springs, hub / rotor junk, I'm sure his back in sore and he is possibly herniated.

Needless to say my junk arrived. Life is good. :)

OverkillZJ
03-17-2008, 02:43 PM
During the buggy project, UPS, FEDEX, and even DHL knew me on a first name basis, and often hung out for a little while after making deliveries... man, that was a LOT of shipments!

Congrats, new shiny stuff is fun!

MF Steve!
03-17-2008, 03:22 PM
werd!

jeepxj3
03-17-2008, 03:52 PM
working till 8, im fooked...

Bill
03-17-2008, 04:05 PM
I will be working until about 2PM then going home to change. After that I am in for whatever.

BigZees
03-18-2008, 09:39 AM
INCOMING WALL-O-TEXT

Here are directions via mapquest.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/224+McIlvaine+Rd+Greensburg+PA+15601-6667/

Now my mother does not have a street address as she receives her mail at the post office. This is the house next door. Once you get to this address go on by to the next house on the right.

Most of you are coming out from the parkway / route 22 I believe. Once you hit route 66 interchange, take the ramp heading to Greensburg / toll 66. At the bottom of the ramp stay in the far right lane coming up the hill. You want to take the very first exit coming up the hill. It will be business 66, can't miss it as it has the first and only bridge going over toll 66. Once you hit the end of that ramp make a left at the light which is 66 south. You will travel south approx 1 mile. There will be a road on the left, across from an invisible fence dealer, make the left onto this road. This road isn't 50 yards long and drops you right onto old route 66. Make a right onto old route 66, still heading south and you will go about 300 yards and see a big white barn on the lefthand side. There is a road between the barn and the farmhouse. The road is Mcilvaine. Make a left onto Mcilvaine and as soon as you do check your odometer. My mothers house is roughly 8 tenths of a mile up the road on the righthand side. It will be the very last house before the Amos Hutchinson bypass bridge which goes over Mcilvaine RD. There is also a driveway beyond moms place on the left. It is the CNG gas company driveway, good for smokey burnouts and turning around when you miss moms driveway.

If you are coming up route 70, go into New Stanton and take toll 66 north. Once you hit exit 9 on the toll road which I believe is the Harrison city / Bushy Run exit, you go down the ramp and make a left onto 66 north. You will go under toll 66 and within 150 yards you'll see Mary's (yumyum) an ice cream / fast food place on the left. Slow down as the very next right you'll need to make, which is on that blind bend. Once you pass Mary's the right is roughly 100 yards. Make the right go up the hill and make a left. You are now on old route 66. You will travel approx 1/2 mile till you see a big white barn on your righthand side. There is a road between the barn and the farmhouse. The road is Mcilvaine. Make a right onto Mcilvaine and as soon as you do check your odometer. My mothers house is roughly 8 tenths of a mile up the road on the righthand side. It will be the very last house before the Amos Hutchinson bypass bridge which goes over Mcilvaine RD. There is also a driveway beyond moms place on the left. It is the CNG gas company driveway, good for smokey burnouts and turning around when you miss moms driveway.

If you get lost my mothers telephone number is 724-838-1217 Mom is 84 so have some patience with her if you call. She knows I got a bunch of hoodlums coming. :047:

WEAR WARM CLOTHES / BRING WARM CLOTHES, garage isn't heated. I do have a torpedo heater.

BigZees
03-18-2008, 09:53 AM
Who is coming and when???

Friday
Me & a friend
Steve
Tom after 5pm
Bill possibly sometime after 2pm?

Saturday
Me

Matt I may need to meet you around your place around Thursday afternoon / evening. I have the HP30 sitting out and it needs u-joints swapped out before I set the front end back down to do the rear, and I will need the u-joint tool to do them. :)

MF Steve!
03-18-2008, 09:58 AM
I'm in for Friday. I'll probably ride out w/ Bill or Matt. I gotta work on my junk Saturday, and probably Sunday. I really think we can kick ass and get this done in less time than expected.

JeepGeneral
03-18-2008, 10:05 AM
Did you check with Ralph to see if he has one? He lives a hell of a lot closer than Matt. I'll give him a call this afternoon for you if you would like.

I'll be there Fri evening.

BigZees
03-18-2008, 10:11 AM
I took Thursday off of work to lay everything out and make sure I had everything prepped and ready for Friday. I am more interested in getting the heavy lifting / coils / leafs / front axle in. Plus the heavy wrenching. I can do all the small stuff, brake lines, track bar adjustments, yada yada.

P.S. Anyone know what tapped hole size needs to be in the spring bucket for the RE bump stop extensions? Their website is down so I can't look it up.

BigZees
03-18-2008, 10:15 AM
Did you check with Ralph to see if he has one? He lives a hell of a lot closer than Matt. I'll give him a call this afternoon for you if you would like.

Yea Tom, give him a call if you could. I'll be at moms Thursday evening. I can probably get most of that axle done if I get those u-joints swapped out.

Oh shit. I got to press studs in. Hmmm have to try to use regular lug nuts to pull them in. Ralph got a small arbor press? :P

MF Steve!
03-18-2008, 10:15 AM
I took Thursday off of work to lay everything out and make sure I had everything prepped and ready for Friday. I am more interested in getting the heavy lifting / coils / leafs / front axle in. Plus the heavy wrenching. I can do all the small stuff, brake lines, track bar adjustments, yada yada.

P.S. Anyone know what tapped hole size needs to be in the spring bucket for the RE bump stop extensions? Their website is down so I can't look it up.

I always thought the old one unbolted and the new one went in the same hole. I could be wrong, but most I have done used the existing mounting location with a longer bolt.

BigZees
03-18-2008, 10:37 AM
I always thought the old one unbolted and the new one went in the same hole. I could be wrong, but most I have done used the existing mounting location with a longer bolt.

Could be, but I swore I read it requires a larger bolt dia. I could be mistaken. I've read entirely too much over the last 2 weeks. :beatidiot

MF Steve!
03-18-2008, 10:38 AM
Could be, but I swore I read it requires a larger bolt dia. I could be mistaken. I've read entirely too much over the last 2 weeks. :beatidiot

Have you opened that big huge box-o-parts yet? I would hope they would give you a tap size, if needed, in the papework within.

BigZees
03-18-2008, 11:43 AM
Have you opened that big huge box-o-parts yet? I would hope they would give you a tap size, if needed, in the papework within.

Actually I haven't opened the boxes yet. Don't want to do that till I get them to moms. Have to put them in a open trailer to take them over, and don't want all that crap bouncing around. :)

So Steve.... ever do a cage for an XJ before??? :040:

http://www.rockhard4x4parts.com/xj-84.html

I know XJ's suck in a roll. They are actually the worst SUV to roll in. The roof always crushes in.

MF Steve!
03-18-2008, 11:51 AM
Actually I haven't opened the boxes yet. Don't want to do that till I get them to moms. Have to put them in a open trailer to take them over, and don't want all that crap bouncing around. :)

So Steve.... ever do a cage for an XJ before??? :040:

http://www.rockhard4x4parts.com/xj-84.html

I know XJ's suck in a roll. They are actually the worst SUV to roll in. The roof always crushes in.

Ah, saving the heavy lifting for those who are not in pain! LOL...how is the pain btw?

No tube work on an XJ yet, but some badass sliders! I've not done an EXO on anything yet, I don't like the way they look. I've done a fair amount of toob work, and have a good understanding of the do's/dont's and lots of badass mental images (thanks to pirate4x4.) I have the "I can make you anything" attitude w/ this kinda stuff, so BRING IT ON!

r6cyclegal
03-18-2008, 12:10 PM
Matt I may need to meet you around your place around Thursday afternoon / evening. I have the HP30 sitting out and it needs u-joints swapped out before I set the front end back down to do the rear, and I will need the u-joint tool to do them. :)

Brian if you have to head out to Matt's anyway you should just come out to wings Thurday night and hang out. We do free wings on Noblestown Rd in Greentree every Thursday. Ofcourse you will not get your work done Thursday, but you will get to see the old timers and meet the new guys????

OverkillZJ
03-18-2008, 01:00 PM
Who is coming and when???

Not a problem, just let me know, I live about 500 yards from Marks old place, should be easy to find!

787 boyce road
Bridgeville, PA

OverkillZJ
03-18-2008, 01:03 PM
Brian if you have to head out to Matt's anyway you should just come out to wings Thurday night and hang out. We do free wings on Noblestown Rd in Greentree every Thursday. Ofcourse you will not get your work done Thursday, but you will get to see the old timers and meet the new guys????

That's actually a good idea, I'm SO FREAKIN' slow this week I might not be working Thursday or Friday this week. Normally I'd loved it, but I'm BORED!

BigZees
03-19-2008, 12:50 AM
That's actually a good idea, I'm SO FREAKIN' slow this week I might not be working Thursday or Friday this week. Normally I'd loved it, but I'm BORED!

Good lord, I stop there I'll never get anything done. Going to try to put wheel studs in tomorrow without bending / twisting or otherwise hurting my stoopid ribs. Maybe head over to the neighbors, I think he has a small arbor press. If not I'll try the old pull them through with lugnuts trick.

JeepGeneral
03-19-2008, 08:51 AM
I got busy at work yesterday and didn't get a chance to call Ralph for you. I'm off today so I'll get it done!

BigZees
03-19-2008, 12:46 PM
I ordered modified rotors from Currie to fit the Warn hub kit. The pilot or through hole was supposed to be 3.575. +/- .015. Unforetunately they sent unmodified rotors. The holes were never machined out. Soooooo... I called Currie and Charlie Currie is going to call me back. I will take them to work tonight and machine them out. I am deciding whether I want to tell them that or not. Let them compensate me somewhow, maybe a little :icon_butt: kissing is in order.

BigZees
03-19-2008, 01:47 PM
Chuck Currie just called me back. After much apology and finding out what happened. (Shipper sent wrong rotors.) He is sending me 2 T-Shirts. ;)

I explained to him that I will just machine them out. He told me he would send me out a new set of rotors today, but I told him they wouldn't be here in time to install them. He told me that for my frustration factor he would send out some shirts. I told him I'd gladly advertise for him! :D

OverkillZJ
03-19-2008, 02:51 PM
I didn't even know you could get the rotors shipped machined now, that's handy. Well, apparently not handy for you! ;)

BigZees
03-20-2008, 11:06 AM
Got rotors machined out last night. Heading off to have studs pressed in. Then go gather the rest of the goods. Feels good to have a day off. :)

OverkillZJ
03-20-2008, 11:12 AM
I'm definitely in for tomorrow, whenever I wake up, so probably be there 10-11am haha. Saturday I can be there after about 2pm if you still need help, I've got a job to take care of at noon.

Do you still need to pick stuff up tonight? I have a 20 ton press here if you want to do the studs in the rotors, I'm off today.

BigZees
03-20-2008, 03:47 PM
Hubs are pressed onto rotors. I got everything on my grocery list except a D30 gasket which I am about ready to go get.

BRING WARM CLOTHES. I will have a torpedo heater and talking my friend into bringing his heater as well but it will still be cold.

Friday, Mar 21
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_frcst_bg/04.gif
High: 44 °F RealFeelŪ: 41 °F
Some sun, then increasing clouds

Friday Night, Mar 21
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_night_bg/29.gif
Low: 25 °F RealFeelŪ: 27 °F
Cold with snow, rain mixed in early, accumulating 2-4 inches

Going to pass on trip over there tonight. I won't get anything done if I head that way. Studs are in. I can wait till tomorrow to do the u-joints.
Matt please bring your u-joint tool. It will make life much easier.

MF Steve!
03-20-2008, 04:39 PM
D-30 gasket? I can bring a propane torpedo also if you'd like.

OverkillZJ
03-20-2008, 04:42 PM
I'll bring the tools tomorrow - don't get a d30 gasket, they always end up leaking, good RTV (like napa black, Mopar black, "the right stuff) always makes a better seal, and lasts indefinitely. I have a 30,000 BTU propane heater, but I think Steve's is 40 or bigger, and I don't have a full tank right now.

Muzikman
03-20-2008, 04:44 PM
I dunno, I love the gaskets on my Rubi. No leaks and no RTV mess. I have even had the covers off a couple times and reused the same gaskets.

OverkillZJ
03-20-2008, 04:45 PM
Blah!

MF Steve!
03-20-2008, 04:47 PM
Blah!

x49

RalphDogg
03-20-2008, 09:13 PM
i got the message from tom. i do not have the tool. i usually use a hammer/ press. i have some work to do friday afternoon. i can stop by when its all finished and everyone is covered in dirt.

BigZees
03-20-2008, 10:01 PM
Ok.

Got the front of the Jeep in the air. Blasted everything again, twice. Got tires off. Unpacked / unwrapped, tires, all RE lift stuff, and Warn hub kit crap.

Need a 1/2" impact, mine took a crap. Need a puller to get stock hubs off of the knuckle. Got one nut off the one side, and working on the other. Can't get hub to budge though. While I realize those hub nuts are supposedly torqued to 150 ft lbs. I had a breaker bar on it, with a 3 foot pipe and stood on it. Nada. Definitely need a 1/2" impact for it.

Had my torpedo heater fired up in the garage and it got so hot I had to take my jacket off. We should be fine with heat.

MY RIBS SUCK!!!

I will have my mom's silver Saturn parked in the driveay. My buddy will have a white Ford Exploder in the driveway as well.

STEVE!!! Remember I asked about the bump stop threaded hole.

Originally Posted by MF Steve! http://www.pgh-offroad.com/forum/images/bgold/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.pgh-offroad.com/forum/showthread.php?p=95719#post95719)
(I always thought the old one unbolted and the new one went in the same hole. I could be wrong, but most I have done used the existing mounting location with a longer bolt.)

Well I unpacked the box with the bump stop extensions. The bolt for the axle side is 3/8-16. There is no current hole in the axle pad to accept the bolt. I sharpened up a 5/16 drill bit to pop a hole in it to tap for that bolt.
It's hard to explain it, you'll see tomorrow. :)

I will be there around 10'ish as I have to get all the kids up / dressed / fed and moving.

Any trouble getting there call moms at 724-838-1217, tell mom your coming to help Brian.

Cya guys tomorrow.

Bill
03-20-2008, 10:06 PM
224 McIlvaine Rd
Greensburg, PA 15601

I am using the GPS to get me there... I should be out of work by 2pm, home, changed, and on the road heading to your place by 3pm.

Wrecker
03-20-2008, 11:12 PM
What did that goat ever do to you?

MF Steve!
03-20-2008, 11:13 PM
224 McIlvaine Rd
Greensburg, PA 15601

I am using the GPS to get me there... I should be out of work by 2pm, home, changed, and on the road heading to your place by 9pm.

Fixed for you. :flipoff2:

MF Steve!
03-20-2008, 11:17 PM
Brian, I am bringing a crate of goods. I will bring the 18v Snap-On cordless impact (more balls than any airgun ever,) some impact sockets/swivels, 18v cordless sawzall. Do you need me to bring anything else? Do you have enough jack stands? Let me know via this thread, or my number is in my profile if you want to call.

Wrecker
03-20-2008, 11:18 PM
Why not change at work or there since you will be a hell of alot closer from Oakland? ......I know some OCD shit or something. Every trip starts from home. K-Mart is where you get underware too.

OverkillZJ
03-20-2008, 11:59 PM
I think we've got you covered on tools, I'm just throwing a bunch of shit in the back of the Corolla when we head out tomorrow morning...

BigZees
03-21-2008, 12:12 AM
Bill, read original instructions to moms house I posted. You stop at 224 Mcilvaine Rd and the nieghbor will point you 200 yards up the road to the next house. house is a crappy off redbrick. Driveway is gravel. Garage is white with a red building below and between the house and garage. Look for a silver Saturn, white Exploder, Matts urban assault vehicle in the driveway.

If you see the bridge over McIlvaine Rd, you have went too far.

Steve I have a good sawzall as well. My buddy will have 1 too. We can pretty much completely disassemble the XJ in minutes with the stuff we will have!

I have 2, 2 ton jackstands, which are under the XJ right now. Front end is in the air, front tires are off and it is sitting in a puddle of PB Blaster.

OverkillZJ
03-21-2008, 12:13 AM
Brian: A puddle of PB blaster is simply unnaceptable. You need to fill a swimming pool with it, and dump the XJ in there overnight. That is the only way to be sure.

I'll see you tomorrow (less dumb.) LMAO.

OverkillZJ
03-21-2008, 12:17 AM
i got the message from tom. i do not have the tool. i usually use a hammer/ press. i have some work to do friday afternoon. i can stop by when its all finished and everyone is covered in dirt.

Quoted since I moved it from another thread, and it showed up a page behind...

BigZees
03-21-2008, 12:42 AM
Inch lb torque wrench for inner spindle nuts on hub kits.

OverkillZJ
03-21-2008, 12:51 AM
Got that too...

MF Steve!
03-21-2008, 09:44 AM
Up and ready to head to the shop to gather tools. I'll check the board one last time before I leave the shop to see if there are any more requests.

OverkillZJ
03-21-2008, 09:50 AM
Putting together a tool list and printing directions now, but still haven't gotten my ass out of bed, I love lazy days that I normally work on.

Wrecker
03-21-2008, 09:54 AM
Have fun. Home with kids. Sorry Big for going all off topic on your thread last night. Beer will do that sometimes.

JeepGeneral
03-21-2008, 10:08 AM
I'll be there after 5PM, most likely on crutches though so I can be tool bitch.

OverkillZJ
03-21-2008, 10:11 AM
Steve and I are heading out of here at about 11 (at the latest) from the looks of it. See ya'll later, wrenchfest time.

r6cyclegal
03-21-2008, 11:34 AM
I'll be there after 5PM, most likely on crutches though so I can be tool bitch.

Tom what did you do???

Muzikman
03-21-2008, 11:41 AM
I know he hurt his knee a few weeks ago. I really hope it's still not the knee.

r6cyclegal
03-21-2008, 11:44 AM
Maybe a leg purse would help your knee Tom?????

JeepGeneral
03-21-2008, 12:49 PM
I've been a walking disaster the past two months. In February I was in the Bahamas and had too much to drink, a congo dancer stepped on my bare foot with her heel and sent me to the hospital. Don't laugh it hurt like hell and I couldn't walk. Doctors said it was just bruised and should be good in a week.

Two weeks later I fall on ice and twisted my knee, which is now fine. I went back to the gym Wednesday for the first time since both accidents and now I can't walk anymore. I think the doctors in the Bahamas misdiagnosed the bruised foot and it is fractured and never healed, but I have yet to go to an American doctor.

Muzikman
03-21-2008, 01:09 PM
That is two people on this forum that was stepped on by a chick in high heels while dancing.

This is why I avoid dancing. :)

Wrecker
03-21-2008, 01:27 PM
If I paid for it is it an accident?

r6cyclegal
03-21-2008, 01:31 PM
Guess you should avoid Michelle since some of her heels could do some serious damage!!!

Bill
03-21-2008, 01:57 PM
I am stuck at work for a bit yet, so I am running late. (Shddup Steve...)

I will hopefully get out of here shortly and be on my way.

JeepGeneral
03-21-2008, 04:32 PM
These weren't any regular heels, but big 1" thick dancer heels and I swear she was swinging her feet over her head.

r6cyclegal
03-21-2008, 04:55 PM
Did her heel look anything like this:

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u66/r6cyclegal/DSC03814.jpg

That's Michelle's normal heel. :045:

BigZees
03-22-2008, 09:04 AM
I see my lift thread has transposed itself into a foot fetish thread! :icon_winkle:

JeepGeneral
03-22-2008, 09:04 AM
Sorry I didn't make it, who knew Good Friday was a huge day for car sales? I didn't leave work until 7PM.

How much did you guys get done? I'm free this evening after work (assuming I'm not here all night) if more help is needed. I'm off the crutches today and hobbling around!

DMG
03-22-2008, 09:36 AM
X2, I got out of work late. How did the install go?

MF Steve!
03-22-2008, 10:02 AM
Eh, it would be done if two things didn't happen. Lots of rust; and almost dropping the F-Bomb in frornt of his kids.

The bolt for the track-bar is 100% rusted to the mount. Tried the good old hammer and drift, the air chisel, those two in combination, drilling it out...nothing. I'm hooking Brian up with a spare bracket.

As for the rear...it is mostly done. One captured ut on the front eye of the drivers side leaf spun out. I cut the face of the nut box of, welded a new nut to the piece and welded the piece back to the uni-rail.

Should be a breeze from here on out. Hub conversion is done and the front is ready to go in now. Hack and tap should be nice and easy with the alignment tools brian turned down...definitely a tool I would patent and market!

Let there around 11:30 last night.

JeepGeneral
03-22-2008, 10:10 AM
I'm assuming it's the mount on the body side that's stuck? If so and you don't have a spare mount I can get one from one of our junkyards for around $30, we had to get one for my cousin's XJ.

Is anyone going back over today?

MF Steve!
03-22-2008, 10:16 AM
I'm assuming it's the mount on the body side that's stuck? If so and you don't have a spare mount I can get one from one of our junkyards for around $30, we had to get one for my cousin's XJ.

Is anyone going back over today?

I have the mount from my '99 parts XJ, which for some reason has near no rust! I would like to go back over and help him finish up, pending DMG doesn't wanna start the IFS removal on his 4-Runner.

OverkillZJ
03-22-2008, 12:33 PM
I'm at a job today, will be going back over today / tonight to help as long as I can, but I hurt!

JeepGeneral
03-22-2008, 12:40 PM
Sounds good I'm going to try to make it for a few hours. What else needs done, just the front suspension?

jeepxj3
03-22-2008, 12:42 PM
we need pix, played poker last night until 6am, so im hurting from lack of sleep.

OverkillZJ
03-22-2008, 12:56 PM
Front needs reassembled completely, I'm taking him a new track bar drop bracket since his is completely FUBAR! Rear is pretty much mocked up, and SYE needs on the tcase. I should be there at about 2:30-3 at this rate.

OverkillZJ
03-22-2008, 02:02 PM
I'm heading out now... I'm sure Brian would appreaciate anyone that can help, Steve and DMG are tied up, and I can't stay too late tonight.

MF Steve!
03-22-2008, 11:08 PM
What is the progress looking like?

JeepGeneral
03-23-2008, 01:51 AM
Well it didn't seem like we got a lot done but the only thing that needs finished up is the SYE. When I got there they had the axle hung on the control arms. We put in the springs and shocks, tracbar, swaybar disconnects (which took way too much time), driveshaft, tires and wheels and tightened everything down. Matt and Brian bled the brakes and we measured for the SYE.

It looks pretty badass with everything on. It's definitely built the right way from the start for what Brian wants to do with it. Although it took all weekend to get everything accomplished, it shouldn't need much after a few weeks of shakedown.

BigZees
03-23-2008, 09:29 AM
Well Happy Easter everyone! Steve, Matt, Tom, Bill, thanks for your help!
I would have never got that much accomplished without you.

Right now I feel like I've been in a drunken bum fight. I am sore in places I didn't know I had. I have to head back over here in a bit to cut the output shaft for the SYE. Drill and tap it then hook driveshaft up. If all goes well I'll have it done and some pics up later on this evening.

MF Steve!
03-23-2008, 09:33 AM
Anytime Brian. I too hurt in places I never knew of. What did you end up doing about the track bar bracket and the upper rear shock bolts?

Bill
03-23-2008, 10:02 AM
Glad to hear it all went well. I am looking forward to seeing the pictures later, and I can't wait to see it on the trail.

BigZees
03-23-2008, 10:03 AM
Matt brought the old track bar bracket from his ZJ. The rear shock bolts were gravy. Knowing in advance they were going to break I prepared for them. Air chisel with flat tool mounted in it, and a BIG punch with vise grips holding the punch. Took all of 15 minutes to take broken bolts out. Had wires hooked up to new bolts and fed through in about another 15 minutes. Took longer to get poly bushings in and out of shocks with bar pins.

MATT!!!! That T-Case is a 231 for sure. HORSETURDS!!!!

NP231 - "Command-Trac" part-time only - 2.72:1 ratio low range - shift pattern 2H - 4H - N - 4L - used 87-01

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/np231.htm

Well the cool thing is, now knowing its a 231, I have a lot more options should the need arise to fix / change something.

OverkillZJ
03-23-2008, 03:09 PM
I told you that case was a 231!!!

And to whoever said that you could do this lift without spring compressors, scewwwwwwwww youuuuuu crack addicts!

I had fun with this project, but also hurt in places that ain't right. Slept through church this morning, oooops!

Will post picsthis week.

BigZees
03-23-2008, 11:25 PM
SYE went off without a hitch. It went beautifully actually. Took a little time, but I was in no hurry and that blasted shaft is harder than woodpecker lips. The driveshaft fitment is perfect.

Only one problem. After rechecking brake bleed I found the peddle went to the floor. Rebled everything. Air in all the lines. Had to bleed master cylinder. Finally found out rear brakes won't work due to shot master cylinder. So I'll get a new master cylinder and work on that next. I'm whooped.

I backed it out of the garage no problem. Could probably fit another 2" of lift under before I'd have to air down tires to get out. Got to drive it around driveway, and took it for a spin down the road. Rides sweet. Little hairy without rear brakes.

Only other thing is it still sits high as hell in the rear, 1-1/4 or so lower in the front, and the front tires are gong to self clearance the flares / lower bumper valence.

MF Steve!
03-23-2008, 11:27 PM
Good deal! Throw your stock wheels/tires in the back for a while...they'll settle down a bit! Pictures?

Bill
03-23-2008, 11:41 PM
Excellent!!! Glad to hear its still making progress!

BigZees
03-23-2008, 11:48 PM
Front end about ready to go.
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g160/BigZees/DSCF0032.jpg

This tool gets the most used award for this lift project.
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g160/BigZees/DSCF0034.jpg

Finished output. Perty idd'nt it???
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g160/BigZees/DSCF0044.jpg

These sleeves made my whole day.
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g160/BigZees/DSCF0042.jpg

and,

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g160/BigZees/DSCF0043.jpg

Will shoot up some full buggy pics later.

JeepGeneral
03-24-2008, 08:21 AM
Looking good, those disconnect pins sucked! I'm not to sore but I'm back on crutches again, heading to the foot doctor this morning to figure what the hell is wrong with it.

jeepxj3
03-24-2008, 10:19 AM
glad to see another XJ joined the crew! Looks good from here!

JeepGeneral
03-24-2008, 01:33 PM
Just got back from the doctor and found out I have gout, just fawkin great. Doctor said it can be triggered by eating pasta, red meat and beer. Therefore I blame Brian's wife for bringing the beer!

Good news is I can stop telling the congo dancer story, I'm tired of getting laughed at.

OverkillZJ
03-24-2008, 01:37 PM
Take care of that, people can die from that crap!

Muzikman
03-24-2008, 01:47 PM
Damn, I thought only old shits got gout!

And shit, if pasta, red meat and beer can give you gout...I am in deep shit. :)

BTW, good work on the XJ guys...hope to see it in person soon.

BigZees
03-24-2008, 03:31 PM
Just got back from the doctor and found out I have gout, just fawkin great. Doctor said it can be triggered by eating pasta, red meat and beer. Therefore I blame Brian's wife for bringing the beer!

Shellfish such as shrimp and clams and whatnot can bring on gout as well.

UPDATE!!!

She is rolling. Put new master cylinder on. I'll get some pics up tomorrow!

JeepGeneral
03-24-2008, 03:35 PM
I saw you driving down rt. 66 today, it looks good!

r6cyclegal
03-24-2008, 04:19 PM
Congrats Brian on a weekend of well worth it hard work!!!

Muzikman
03-24-2008, 04:31 PM
Ok, now, who wants to come over and fix my Jeep? ;)

OverkillZJ
03-24-2008, 04:33 PM
I'm done for awhile! Back to house-projects and the real world, until I fix my own junk.

r6cyclegal
03-24-2008, 05:09 PM
Ok, now, who wants to come over and fix my Jeep? ;)

hehe:109:

BigZees
03-25-2008, 01:19 AM
I saw you driving down rt. 66 today, it looks good!

I thought that was you honking the horn. That was her maiden voyage. Took it to work tonight and a lot of people were staring at it. Got me sorta stoked. Going to clean and paint the rear end. Clean and paint the wheel wells. Try to cover as much with paint as I can before it hits the C-ville slop. Will make it easier to wash all the crud off.

Front tires were rubbing some. Did the old thin grinding wheel clearance job. May need to grind a little more. I think I'm going to get flares next as those tires are hanging out a bit.

Now I need to look at fabbing a spare tire mount. Going to take some measurements and draw a little something up. Will post the wholesome spare tire bracketry goodness as I go.

BigZees
03-25-2008, 03:11 PM
Matt... I found. 1, 21mm deepwell socket. 1, 15mm deepwell socket. 1 pack of small metric sockets in a small red case thingy. I'll assume they are yours. :)

OverkillZJ
03-25-2008, 03:14 PM
The deepwell sockets are mine, but the small pack of metric sockets I found in your tool chest! (The 1/4" drive metrics?)

JeepGeneral
03-25-2008, 03:53 PM
Where are the pictures, I know Matt took some.

OverkillZJ
03-25-2008, 03:54 PM
I took a lot, I will put them up when I get back from the doctors to get my head examined ;)

Bird_Flu
03-25-2008, 04:48 PM
I took a lot, I will put them up when I get back from the doctors to get my head examined ;)

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! I hope your head is OK and if you need another kind of head examination beyond a physical one I would stay away from psych students that live in Indy I hear they give bad advice and misdiagnoses. :flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2:

Wrecker
03-25-2008, 05:20 PM
You are just going to make him cry himself to sleep if you keep mentioning those boobs.. I mean that girl.

OverkillZJ
03-25-2008, 06:40 PM
Crazy girl, but I do miss those boobies!

That's about all I miss about her though, I have more money in my bank account, and less crazy in my life, haha.

r6cyclegal
03-26-2008, 11:53 AM
I've seen you in the last month. I don't think you have less crazy. Maybe less serious crazy but you still have a bunch of crazy!!!

jeepxj3
03-26-2008, 12:09 PM
Zee's wheres the final pics?!

OverkillZJ
03-26-2008, 01:01 PM
I've seen you in the last month. I don't think you have less crazy. Maybe less serious crazy but you still have a bunch of crazy!!!

:043:

Looking for my camera to get the pics off and uploaded...

BigZees
03-26-2008, 03:21 PM
Been busy. I'll get them up here soon.

jeepxj3
03-26-2008, 03:23 PM
Sorry, im Jonezin to see the progress on your XJ, IDK its a unibody thing...

MF Steve!
03-26-2008, 07:00 PM
So, Brian, wanna take her out for the maiden voyage (if you haven't already) to Ligonier or Connelsville on Saturday, and then head to the Meet & Greet?

BigZees
03-27-2008, 01:36 AM
So, Brian, wanna take her out for the maiden voyage (if you haven't already) to Ligonier or Connelsville on Saturday, and then head to the Meet & Greet?

Saturday... 10am to 11am Ben has baseball practice. Come home make lunch. Samantha has colorgaurd championships at 2pm so I have to get her ready. 3pm to 4pm Ben has swimming class. I'll be dragging around little Miss Emma with me.

6pm I am leaving to meet you guys! Ben and Emma will be coming with me.

Sunday I'm not sure yet, but my friend Mark who was helping us with the lift may need a hand with the lower unit on his outboard motor. If he is busy or doing something else I may be game for Sunday.

r6cyclegal
03-27-2008, 11:20 AM
I want to see Samantha!! Wasn't she the one that was coloring PERFECTLY in the lines as you were wheeling the Jeep the first time I went out?????? :041: Was she ever able to color when she wasn't in a moving Jeep?? :slywink:

I can barely read GPS or do anything that requires coordination and here is Brian's daughter coloring perfectly as we are driving through Connellesville!!!!

BigZees
03-27-2008, 01:15 PM
I want to see Samantha!! Wasn't she the one that was coloring PERFECTLY in the lines as you were wheeling the Jeep the first time I went out?????? :041: Was she ever able to color when she wasn't in a moving Jeep?? :slywink:

I can barely read GPS or do anything that requires coordination and here is Brian's daughter coloring perfectly as we are driving through Connellesville!!!!

LOL thats her!! She has colorguard championships Saturday, so she won't be coming with me.

BigZees
03-27-2008, 01:26 PM
Ok here are the results.... Drum roll please...

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g160/BigZees/DSCF0001-1.jpg

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g160/BigZees/DSCF0005.jpg

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g160/BigZees/DSCF0002.jpg

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g160/BigZees/DSCF0004-1.jpg

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g160/BigZees/DSCF0003.jpg

Pics were taken kinda hasty. I was taking Emma to school and rolled into this parking lot and shot them real quick. In one of the front shot photos you can see her little noggin in the middle of the back seat.

This weekend I'll recheck all the bolts / nuts. Going to try to flex it out a little and see where it rubs. Have grinder, will travel.

jeepxj3
03-27-2008, 01:33 PM
I think I stayed at that hotel once... Is that the one in south point?

Jeep looks great!!!!!, I really want to get those hubs!!!!

Oh, I got a set of coil spacers that you can have to level it out if your interested.

r6cyclegal
03-27-2008, 02:01 PM
I don't like it at all.

OK so I don't like it cause it looks really good and I'm jealous. :022:

DMG
03-27-2008, 02:21 PM
Looks great!

JeepGeneral
03-27-2008, 02:35 PM
We were thinking the back end will sag down some after a few miles, and that looks like the new hotel in Greengate Plaza in Greensburg.

BigZees
03-30-2008, 08:13 PM
I checked it over today and everything looks good. I put the studs in the wheelwell for the disconnects. I set up some cinder blocks and flexed her out a bit. Several things became painfully clear.

(1) I definitely need fender flares, and some sawzall work.

(2) Front bumper cover / valence with fog lights has to go.

(3) New front bumper fab I have to push along. Without a front bumper I have no front tow points. No tow points in front, no wheely wheely.

(4) Front to rear the ride height needs adjusted. 1-1/4" difference. Coil spring spacers FTW! Which brings something to mind. Matt, how the hell am I going to get the spacers in? I remember the trouble we had with just the springs, and that was with spring compressors we supposedly didn't need. I imagine the spacers will be an interesting adventure.

(4) Took donut spare out of the back. Going to have to hurry / fab a spare bracket for in the back. The donut hardware I will reuse as it is perfect for a fast removal. (Will not keep spare in the back for DD, but when I load up to wheel I'll pop the bracket / spare back in.)

OverkillZJ
03-30-2008, 08:19 PM
Sounds like you'll need spring compressors again if you're really going to level it, you're welcome to mine, but I think Tom mentioned that Ralph has a collection of them laying around too.

MF Steve!
03-30-2008, 08:21 PM
Were you planning on pulling the axle when you do the gears as you mentioned? If so, I'd wait to put the spacers in until that time.

Let me know when you're gonna get rollin on the bumpers, I'll do whatever I can to help ya out!

BigZees
03-30-2008, 08:43 PM
I'm going to kick around some design ideas with the front bumper, due to the inevitable winch mounting bullcrap. I really really like the bare bones hanson front bumper. It makes me happy in the pants.
http://www.hansonoffroad.com/imagemagic.php?img=images/XJ-Plain.gif&w=399&h=189&page=popup

http://images.fourwheeler.com/products/129_0508_07_z+august_2005_4x4_products+winch_bumpe r.jpg

The rear bumper has only one requirement. A receiver. I tow my boat all over hell to go fishing and definitely need a reciever. Flush mount reciever would be the shiznit. I currently have a receiver, so it can be raped for the receiver end itself.

MF Steve!
03-30-2008, 08:50 PM
Piece o cake!

OverkillZJ
04-02-2008, 10:09 AM
Hey Brian,

One of those impact sockets you returned to me at the M/G isn't mine, I've never owned a Crafstman impact, and I already had my 11/16 Cummins in the case! Remind me next time we meet up somewhere to bring it, think it came from your tools.

BigZees
04-02-2008, 11:32 AM
It may be my other buddy Mark's. I'll have to ask him.

jeepxj3
04-02-2008, 12:48 PM
Brian, I was accidentally shipped that Hanson front bumper, let me tell you I wasnt impressed. If you can stand the wait time, look into rigidco, they make a SICK bumper that will reinforce your steering box at the same time. Kill 2 birds with 1 stone. Its also a low profile winch bumper too. Oh and if you do plan to add that kind of weight up front you will seriously want to concider a coil spacer to level everything out.

www.rigidco.com

http://www.rigidco.com/web3_FbW_on92XJ_rightfrontview_trimmed_256c_P62300 25.JPG

The tie in's are KEY
http://www.rigidco.com/web3_FbW_WinchTray_mountedon84XJ_256c_P6210004.JPG

BigZees
04-02-2008, 01:00 PM
So what did that urban assault bumper set you back in pesos?

jeepxj3
04-02-2008, 01:02 PM
So what did that urban assault bumper set you back in pesos?

the ARB? 7Hundo IIRC, got it from JeepersCreepers in Cali.

BigZees
04-02-2008, 01:07 PM
Ah, I thought you had a Rigidco. What about the Hanson did you not like?

jeepxj3
04-02-2008, 01:18 PM
Ah, I thought you had a Rigidco. What about the Hanson did you not like?

the frame tie ins, or lack there of.... Essentially it had less tie ins than my ARB has, the Hanson claims its a winch bumper but uses no more frame tie ins than a stock bumper.

Ok here I found a pic of the Hanson bumper your looking at.

http://www.hansonoffroad.com/images/gallery/lgrphoto/XJ%20Front%20Install/IMG_2260.jpg

Tell me you think that has enough mounting points to secure a winch....

OverkillZJ
04-02-2008, 01:21 PM
Wow, that's really different than the ZJ's Hanson bumper mounting.

jeepxj3
04-02-2008, 01:24 PM
sad thing is they made "CLAIMS" that they included frame straps to extend the mounting points further back the frame rails, but when I got shipped that bumper, I rooted around through the packaging just out of couriosity and didnt find anything... They also said that you had to weld these on after the bumper was mounted up... IDK, I just wasnt impressed with any of it.

BigZees
04-02-2008, 01:47 PM
Well horse poo. Just like my belief in the Easter Bunny another dream bites the big one.

Okies I'll look into Rigidco a little better and see if I can dig up some reviews.

One thing that does bother me about their website. If you look under product developement. You'll notice the scheduled release on their new products as being ?/?/04 on everything. Too much time in the old opium den???

jeepxj3
04-02-2008, 01:59 PM
No the guy that runs the company is SUPER BUSY and does awesome work, and does everything by himself.

Honestly you wont find a bad review on his stuff, the only complaint people seem to have is the fact that you have to wait to get his stuff. The lead time in most cases is like 6months. And yes he does make a rear swing away, my online nemisis RuggedJeep has this rear bumper. (God I hate that guy)

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y242/97xj/Thirty%20fives/DSC00274.jpg

andrew2516
04-02-2008, 02:14 PM
I ordered my rigidco front winch bumper towards the beginning of march and it should be at my house today. So he was only three weeks behind when I ordered. Also Terry is a great guy to talk to, seems like he has great cutomer service. I talked on the phone with him for about 45 minutes about how he designed the bumper and about jeeps in general.

From what he said, you can winch a cherokee up a tree without worrying about ripping the bumper off.

Also heres some links he sent me incase you wanted a better look. His website is behind and doesn't show the new design of the bumper. Also I'll probably be mounting the winch and bumper this weekend if I have time...so I'll probably take a bunch of pictures.

http://flickr.com/photos/rigid/collections

jeepxj3
04-02-2008, 02:39 PM
I ordered my rigidco front winch bumper towards the beginning of march and it should be at my house today. So he was only three weeks behind when I ordered. Also Terry is a great guy to talk to, seems like he has great cutomer service. I talked on the phone with him for about 45 minutes about how he designed the bumper and about jeeps in general.

From what he said, you can winch a cherokee up a tree without worrying about ripping the bumper off.

Also heres some links he sent me incase you wanted a better look. His website is behind and doesn't show the new design of the bumper. Also I'll probably be mounting the winch and bumper this weekend if I have time...so I'll probably take a bunch of pictures.

http://flickr.com/photos/rigid/collections

Andrew, im really glad you went this direction, makes me wish I would have just canceled my order for the Hanson and got the Rigidco instead....

andrew2516
04-02-2008, 02:48 PM
Andrew, im really glad you went this direction, makes me wish I would have just canceled my order for the Hanson and got the Rigidco instead....

Yeah, I'm excited to see it. I was debating that C4x4 forever...I think it would have killed my clearance. Also the rigidco is the best looking high clearance winch bumper IMO.

Rigidco does make some bad ass rear bumpers also, I like the way it gives side protection.

BTW when are you getting a winch in the arb!?

MF Steve!
04-02-2008, 03:33 PM
I like the Rigidco. I've never seen it before, but the design is similar to what I'm planning on making. Keeping the ends up high, steering box reinforcement are the main two. I'll have some toob involved for sure though.

jeepxj3
04-02-2008, 03:50 PM
BTW when are you getting a winch in the arb!?

when I find a need for a winch... :overkill:

andrew2516
04-02-2008, 05:11 PM
You know what is bound to happen now that you said that:slywink:

OverkillZJ
04-03-2008, 09:56 AM
If you've never needed a winch, you're not trying to get stuck hard enough! I even used the winch on the buggy locked on 42's a couple times.

jeepxj3
04-03-2008, 10:15 AM
well im not out to destroy my rig is thats what you 2 are getting at... It has enough issues as it is.

BigZees
04-03-2008, 11:33 AM
I like the Rigidco. I've never seen it before, but the design is similar to what I'm planning on making. Keeping the ends up high, steering box reinforcement are the main two. I'll have some toob involved for sure though.

Steve if you can build something that remotely resembles the Rigidco I'll wash your towpig for a month.

I can get all the metal easy. Jeannette Steel Co. and Multi Metals are within 5 minutes of me. I'm going to do some more reading / drooling on the Rigidco pics and see if I can reverse engineer some of it. I'll check out where he put the angles in and do a little tape measure boogey / guesstimate as where the angles start. You think 3/16" thick front, 1/4" thick sides? I could draw this up on AutoCad, but couldn't post it here. Meh, I'll dick around with it this weekend.

I do not have the patience to wait for 6 months on a bumper to arrive at my door, and the sooner I can get a front bumper in the works the sooner I can wheel. I have no front tow points currently. :(

I am going to try to build the spare tire bracket this weekend if I can meet Bill somewhere and get the bracket I need. Then I'll start measuring up for the front bumperage.

P.S. I know of 2 powdercoat places. One I used to do QC work for, and another on the way to work now. Don't know if I want to rattlecan it, or powdercoat it. I'll see what developes.

jeepxj3
04-03-2008, 11:36 AM
Steve, I might want you to make me one too :)

MF Steve!
04-03-2008, 02:42 PM
Ok, I'll make you guys improved Ridgco style bumpers. Jason, I want your ARB! LOL...

Brian, you can draw stuff in AutoCAD and e-mail it to me. I have the program, so viewing .DWG/.DXF files are no big deal. I'd make the whole thing from 3/16" plate. There is no need for 1/4" anywhere. You're not spanning any great distances, and with the inner support structure, you should have no problems.

jeepxj3
04-03-2008, 03:38 PM
Ok, I'll make you guys improved Ridgco style bumpers. Jason, I want your ARB! LOL...

Brian, you can draw stuff in AutoCAD and e-mail it to me. I have the program, so viewing .DWG/.DXF files are no big deal. I'd make the whole thing from 3/16" plate. There is no need for 1/4" anywhere. You're not spanning any great distances, and with the inner support structure, you should have no problems.

We can trade! Just make me a sick ass bumpahhh, and yes I want toob.

BigZees
04-03-2008, 10:00 PM

What I'll do is check out some of Rigidco's specs and go from there. The only thing I'm really not sure about is the winch mount. Hole specs, and spacing. It would probably be better to drill those later when I have the winch in hand. I'm guessing I'll have to drop my front bumper to sketch up the brackets, unless someone knows a source for the bolt hole locations and spacings.

Most of the work I can do myself Steve. Having someone with more welding experience than myself is a big help.

I worked at a fab shop for a few years. Watched many a cabinet get welded up. Many a frame, jigs and whatnot. I inspected them all. :) Key is in the grinding after the welds. Even bad welds can be made to look sweet with good grinding. We had guys do only that. They ground welds all day. Sounds like a suck ass job, and it was, but let me tell you those guys were good. I learned quite a bit just from watching them.

BigZees
04-11-2008, 12:01 PM
Next up, flares are on their way. Should be here by next Wednesday / Thursday. Looked at the Rusty's flex flares, and the Bushwackers. Decided I like the Bush better!!! Reason behind this is coverage. The Rusty's won't cover my tire /wheel offset / Warn hub width up front.

This weekends gig is spare tire mount fabrication at it's finest. I got the metal. I got the welder, and grinder in ready mode. Woohoo sparks baby!

(Metal came from old bed frames, buddy dropped off enough bed frames to build 6 beds!) (2 x 2 x 3/16)

JeepGeneral
04-11-2008, 12:03 PM
Hopefully Bushwacker has come up with a better way to mount their flares, both Dave and BBaker had them from a few years ago and everytime you bump a tree the bolts pulled through the plastic.

BigZees
04-11-2008, 12:18 PM
Hopefully Bushwacker has come up with a better way to mount their flares, both Dave and BBaker had them from a few years ago and everytime you bump a tree the bolts pulled through the plastic.

Bearing that in mind I'll check and see if flat washers will fit behind the bolt heads. There is a rubber spacer behind the flare itself.

I need coverage, and with XJ's there isn't a whole lot of options out there. Wackers have the most amount of coverage that I've found.

JeepGeneral
04-11-2008, 12:26 PM
That would be your best option. I know they both ran new bolts with flat washers after they pulled through the first time and it was too late, the holes were already wore too large.

bluespark
04-11-2008, 01:25 PM
Brian,
When I installed them on my last XJ, I used washers on both the inside and outside of the plastic flare itself. IIRC I picked them up bulk at Tractor Supply...

Chad

jeepxj3
04-11-2008, 03:28 PM
Brian, I wouldnt cut the fenders if you dont have to, just cut the flare to fit, those 31's have plenty of space inside the fenderwells stock. No sence in cutting up a perfectly good Jeep if you dont have to.

OverkillZJ
04-11-2008, 03:35 PM
Those 31's (Interco) run a bit big, I wouldn't be surprised if he needs to trim anyway.

BigZees
04-12-2008, 09:58 AM
Those 31's (Interco) run a bit big, I wouldn't be surprised if he needs to trim anyway.

Exactly. As far as cutting up a good Jeep I'm beyond all that now. Once I made the commitment to making this an offroad fun buggy, the sawzall and welder rule! The wheel offset I have, plus the Warn hub kit width, and the actual 31" tire size require me to do a little trimming.

The front end is sagging about 1-1/2" now. As soon as the fender flares are on I'm buying the ACOS system to level the front end out. Seeing the XJ sit there uneven bugs the living crap out of me. I have Bills OCD where it comes to stuff like that. I have to fix it!

BigZees
04-12-2008, 10:06 AM
Anyone heard about these guys? http://www.protofab4x4.com/products.php?ID=05

MF Steve!
04-12-2008, 10:12 AM
I didn't know they were still in business.

BigZees
04-12-2008, 10:15 AM
I didn't know they were still in business.

They have an ad in the most current issue of JP.

MF Steve!
04-12-2008, 10:20 AM
I wanna start my bumper...but I need a front clip first. I found this picture, of what is supposedly a Blue Torch Fabworks bumper. I'm going to adapt and clone it to fit my application:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/steveschiavon/DSC04387s.jpg

BigZees
04-15-2008, 01:47 PM
OK. On Sunday I almost completed the spare tire bracket goodies. Got the base made. Got the bracket Bill gave me welded to one side of the uprights. Making last set of uprights this weekend and bolting base to the floor. Going to the Nuthouse and picking up some grade 8 bolts and wing nuts for the whole mess. Will take pics once completed.

Fender flares should be here today / tomorrow. Hopefully get cracking on them soon.

Still need alignment done. Hopefully get it done on Friday. $100 for alignment!!!

Called Terry at RigidCo. Spent 40 minutes on the phone with him. Damn nice man. He is 60 years old and wheels all over. Asked him about his bumper mounting kits. He makes 2 and will sell them separately. Looking at buying the one with all the plates for mounting a winch. $160 clams. Not a bad deal and will save me tons of footwork / time / cursing. All I'll need then is plate for the bumper fab. :109:

Wifes birthday / our anniversary is this Saturday. May cut into my fab time. Of course she is more important than the Jeep, not too mention she carries a big stick! :wreckerswife: Just remembered. Oldest one and grandkids will be here on Sunday. I might not get too much done.

This will keep me busy for a little bit.

Alignment. (Done)
Spare tire mount completion. (Done)
Fender flare mounting. (Done)
ACOS system to level out suspension.
Bumper mounting kit from RigidCo.
Plate for bumper fab.
Rock rails from AJ's Armor.

jeepxj3
04-15-2008, 02:03 PM
I wanna start my bumper...but I need a front clip first. I found this picture, of what is supposedly a Blue Torch Fabworks bumper. I'm going to adapt and clone it to fit my application:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/steveschiavon/DSC04387s.jpg

cut the front end off my old XJ:116:

BigZees
04-21-2008, 01:41 PM
Rear cargo area spare tire bracket is complete. The bottom frame is bolted through the floor at the rear latch area with 3/8-16 grade 8 bolts with nyloc nuts. The rear latch trim / cover hides the mounting points. I measured forward in front of the gas tank in the small flat area and punched 2 more holes through with the same hardware setup as the latch area. The base is definitely not going anywhere.

The next bracket bolts (with same 3/8-16 grade 8's) to the base. I used wing-nuts and self locking internal washers at the head end to make it a hand tightening, no wrench needed, quick detach bracket. I will buy shorter bolts as I used the same 1-3/4" bolts that went through the floor. No sense winding wing-nuts on that far. This bracket is at a 45 deg angle, which holds the tire just above the rear seat, and 1 inch from the hatch at the back. Bill's wonderful spare tire bracket I welded to this piece, and the tire mounts directly to it using my god awful long lug nuts. Took me 2 weekends to complete, but well worth the trouble.

Tomorrow if it isn't too bad out I'll clean all the junk back out of the hatch area and shoot up some pics.

THANKS BILL!!!! Without your spare bracket this would not have been possible. :109:

BigZees
04-22-2008, 09:42 AM
Ok here goes.

Here is the base. Excuse the loads of crap in the back!

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g160/BigZees/DSCF0005-1.jpg

Rear bolts hidden under trim.
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g160/BigZees/DSCF0004-2.jpg

Bills wonderful spare brakcet in all it's glory.
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g160/BigZees/DSCF0002-1.jpg

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g160/BigZees/DSCF0003-1.jpg

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g160/BigZees/DSCF0006.jpg

And the finished sun glared product.

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g160/BigZees/DSCF0007.jpg

This coming weekend, fender flares!!!

BigZees
04-30-2008, 12:57 AM
Fender flares are done. I'll shoot up some pics of those here soon. ACOS system should be coming soon so I can level out the buggy. Then on to the other goodies!

MF Steve!
04-30-2008, 07:30 AM
Schweeeeeet! When are we making your bumpers???

andrew2516
04-30-2008, 09:52 AM
That tire carrier setup looks nice. I like how most of it comes out incase you wanted to haul some other stuff back there.

BigZees
05-01-2008, 12:49 AM
Schweeeeeet! When are we making your bumpers???

I talked to Terry at Rigidco and he is going to send me the whole bumper mount system. http://www.rigidco.com/web3_FbW_WinchTray_mountedon84XJ_256c_P6210004.JPG

He quoted me at $165 which is sweet. Saves a whole lot of footwork and cursing. I can either build around this, or order his bumper. I'll debate this once I get the mount system.