PDA

View Full Version : Need a D35 shaft.

PK
08-02-2005, 10:34 AM
Wouldn't you know it, the minute I get rid of my D35 spare shafts, I end up with a bad shaft in my new/used ZJ that is tearing through the axle seal.

Does anyone have a spare shaft (this is passenger side that I need) that they would be willing to part with? If you can believe it, the dealership was offering me a fine deal on their 425 dollar replacement shaft. Or maybe that was the price for the whole axle. Anyway, I declined.

Please let me know if you can help out.

Patrick

OverkillZJ
08-02-2005, 12:23 PM
$425 from the dealer sounds like just the shaft, if you can believe it :roll:

Do you have ABS in that ZJ? If so you might need a ZJ shaft, I'm not positive if the tone rings can be moved from one to another, but NAGCA should have some writeup about it somewhere.

PK
08-02-2005, 01:16 PM
Yes, with ABS...

OverkillZJ
08-02-2005, 01:40 PM
Just asked around a little, I'm being told that the TJ shafts can be used if, but it's a lot of work to pound off the ring and put it on the shaft you're swapping to. I'm also told that the tone rings for Drum brakes and Disc brakes are different - hope that helps a lil' in the hunt.

PK
08-02-2005, 02:05 PM
Matt --

If I could get a cheap shaft, and couldn't coax the ABS tone ring to jump ship -- could I just pull the ABS relay and be done with it?

Patrick

OverkillZJ
08-02-2005, 02:13 PM
Not that I would ever tell someone to disable a safety system ;)

Yup, if you pull the ABS fuse and relay, the systems completely disabled, no error lights and no codes.

PK
08-02-2005, 02:18 PM
I like the ABS, but I've already found that it kicks on quite frequently when I'm just feathering on the brake... clearly not locking up or slipping. It gets confused and goes nuts.

Well, I have several lines tossed out there for a shaft, let's hope someone has one. Within the last two months, I had two perfectly good spares, now I have none. I hate irony.

PK
08-02-2005, 03:20 PM
Looks like I've managed to find a pair with ABS rings in Philadelphia from a ZJ... so I might be all set. Thanks though. If it falls through I may be back. :)

r6cyclegal
08-02-2005, 03:51 PM
Good luck! :smt080