PDA

View Full Version : Motor Mount Lift questions

leonw
08-03-2005, 04:34 PM
I'm not having any problems with vibes or anything, I just want to get rid of that idiotic t-case skid drop and put a high clearance skid in.

Here's my current set up:

'01 TJ Sport Manual
3" 4wd hardware coil lift
1" BL
Dropped the radiator shroud.
T-case drop that came with the kit.

Now for the questions

1) How hard is the MML to do? I'm guessing I need an extra set of hands.
2) Can I put a high clearance t-case skid in at a later date or would it be best to do it now? I may not be able to afford the skid now, but at the very least I'd like to get rid of that drop.
3) Any recommendations on MML or skid? I was looking at the Currie mounts and the Skyjacker high clearance skid.
4) Will I need to mess with the transmission mount?

It probably makes more sense to do the MML and skid together. Any input is appreciated. I may run out to Columbiana tonight if I make up my mind.

mrpistol
08-04-2005, 08:22 AM
i did a spacer mml when I did my body lift. mostly, to avoid the transfer case drop

although it wasn't a full-blown mml, it was still alot easier than i thought. i did it by myself with the stock screw jack, a piece of wood, ratchet w/ extension, (and in my case, a drill for enlarging a couple holes).

the transmission mount is unaffected as far as i know. i haven't gone the high clearance skid route yet, so i'm not sure about that.

just remember to do one side at a time and use locktite, you'll be fine.

leonw
08-04-2005, 08:38 AM
Thanks, are those steelhead in your pic? The pic is too small to tell.

Bill
08-04-2005, 09:00 AM
The MML / BL combo is pretty easy to be honest. Yes, an extra set of hands will go a long, long way. The only snag I ran into with my MML / BL was the one motor mount bolt comes slide out and hits the A/C unit. It is impossible to remove. What you actually have to do is unbolt the mounting bracket from the vehicle frame and then remove the bolt. After that you can re-connect the bracket to the frame and just put the bolt back in from the opposite side (with the nut on the A/C side of the bracket - making it so much easier to work with.) With that little tip in mind, it is one of the easiest mods I have done to date.

mrpistol
08-04-2005, 10:13 AM
Thanks, are those steelhead in your pic? The pic is too small to tell.

trout, they were my prized catch one morning after camping down in hawkins hollow....there's nothing like seeing a nice sized trout dart out from nowhere and go after your lure

i have been steelhead fishing once up in erie, but we got skunked....it was amazing to see schools of those huge bastards chilling right in front of you. but once they get spooked, you'll have just as much luck with a bare hook .