PDA

View Full Version : So many options....

JB_Pgh
11-19-2004, 10:18 AM
As some of you know, I'm ready to get back into Jeepin'....

But there are so many options rolling around in my head right now!

Wait 6 months to afford a new Rubicon.
Buy a used Rubicon.
Buy a used stock TJ w/D44 and build it up (BB, BL, MM)
Buy a used built TJ
Buy an XJ (cheap) and build it up
Buy a YJ and build it up
Wait for the new 06 Wrangler
Wait for the new Jeep pickup

:?: :?:

Seems like I'm stuck right now between a used Rubi and waiting for the new heeps to come out....

I have a 5 mile commute to work right now, so I'm not overly concerned about DD status.

No matter what, I need to get rid of the Volvo first anyway, so I have some time.

JB_Pgh
11-19-2004, 02:08 PM
This place is as dead on Fridays as the yahoo board.

Here's what I like about XJ's: cheap to buy, cheap to build, nice DD with room. How tough is it to squeeze an XJ (or XTerra or Grand for that matter) through PA trails?

SWB of a TJ is nice though too....and the top down thing

I'm afraid I won't want to wheel a Rubicon cause it costs so damn much.

I'll keep talking to myself, that's cool. :P

Brandon, we need a flipoff smiley man, let's go... :wink:

2002wranglerX
11-19-2004, 02:17 PM
Wait 6 months to afford a new Rubicon.
Buy a used Rubicon.
Buy a used stock TJ w/D44 and build it up (BB, BL, MM)
Buy a used built TJ
Buy an XJ (cheap) and build it up
Buy a YJ and build it up
Wait for the new 06 Wrangler
Wait for the new Jeep pickup

A new rubi: you won't want to mod it cause of warrenty issues, plus every new scratch will hurt that much more.

Used rubicon is an option.

Used TJ with 44 wouldn't be bad either

Used built TJ: as long as you know the owner or know someone that does.

XJ: good for grocery getting, no frame for if you wanna get crazy with it, LOTS of stuff to smash onthe trails (windows, lots of sheet metal)

YJ: spring it over, 36" IROKs, easy to swap axles into it, 4:1, Lock it, and you'd have a sick rig for fairly minimal investment, well, in respect to a rubi.

06wrangler/pickup: you really want to wait that long?

JB_Pgh
11-19-2004, 02:43 PM
A new rubi: you won't want to mod it cause of warrenty issues, plus every new scratch will hurt that much more.
True, and I don't like taking the hit as soon as I drive it off the lot. Ok, that's out. There's plenty of pampered pavement princess Rubicons out there anyway.

Used rubicon is an option.
Yep. Still an option.

Used TJ with 44 wouldn't be bad either
Yep.

Used built TJ: as long as you know the owner or know someone that does.
Rare to find a good used one that wasn't abused. Easy to find someone with friends who will SAY it wasn't abused. Ok, this is out, I don't need to buy someone's basketcase...again. :roll:

XJ: good for grocery getting, no frame for if you wanna get crazy with it, LOTS of stuff to smash onthe trails (windows, lots of sheet metal)
Yeah, I need to hear from some full-size guys on this, bbaker, Matt, etc.

YJ: spring it over, 36" IROKs, easy to swap axles into it, 4:1, Lock it, and you'd have a sick rig for fairly minimal investment, well, in respect to a rubi.
I love the minimal investment side of a YJ....hmmm. I know where there's a cheap stocker too. (Huh Bill?)

06wrangler/pickup: you really want to wait that long?
Don't want to, but I probably could...need to see some real pics of them I guess

Thanks Ry!
John

OverkillZJ
11-19-2004, 04:13 PM
Get something that won't spend 3 months in my garage or tent ;)

But really, I've only damaged sheetmetal on the grand doing things that normal Jeepers just don't do...

JB_Pgh
11-19-2004, 04:15 PM
Get something that won't spend 3 months in my garage or tent ;)

But really, I've only damaged sheetmetal on the grand doing things that normal Jeepers just don't do...

Yeah, you might be the exception to many of the rules ;).

I have my own garage now, so we're cool. :D

LordAthens
11-19-2004, 05:31 PM
Well, it won't be an 06, since there isn't going to be a model year for 06. The "new" Wrangler is comming out in 07.

I've tossed around the same ideas. I've finally decided on \ been talked into buying a new Rubi. (Actually, i'm going with an Unlimited Rubi).

Sure, you could buy an old TJ and build it, but if you decide to get out of Jeeping again (this will be what, your 3rd TJ in 3 years?) the Rubi is going to hold a considerably higher resale value.. Can't say that for a fully built TJ. Sure, you may find that person that will spend 14k on a built TJ, but you'll find a lot more people to buy a used Rubi.

Plus, you drive the Rubi off the lot and you wheel it. Period. Sure, maybe a BB, BL and 33's to start off with, but that's a very small investment and you and I both know a Rubi on 33's will go damn near anywhere you point it, in our area of wheeling.

My 2c.

JB_Pgh
11-19-2004, 05:39 PM
Well, it won't be an 06, since there isn't going to be a model year for 06. The "new" Wrangler is comming out in 07.

I've tossed around the same ideas. I've finally decided on \ been talked into buying a new Rubi. (Actually, i'm going with an Unlimited Rubi).

Sure, you could buy an old TJ and build it, but if you decide to get out of Jeeping again (this will be what, your 3rd TJ in 3 years?) the Rubi is going to hold a considerably higher resale value.. Can't say that for a fully built TJ. Sure, you may find that person that will spend 14k on a built TJ, but you'll find a lot more people to buy a used Rubi.

Plus, you drive the Rubi off the lot and you wheel it. Period. Sure, maybe a BB, BL and 33's to start off with, but that's a very small investment and you and I both know a Rubi on 33's will go damn near anywhere you point it, in our area of wheeling.

My 2c.

I'll rephrase: a TJ "in" 06.

Watch the attitude about my # of Jeeps, shack boy, you have 2 right now....plus you have a a gay dog as your avatar. :wink:

Yeah, the built TJ discussion makes sense...and I don't want to get hyper-involved in wrenching all the damn time, that's one of the things I didn't like about Jeep #2 - too much shit that could break or go wrong. I think I'd rather have a "bolt-on" JU-style Jeep this time. BB, BL, 33's and maybe some goodies as I go...

Thanks Brandon!
John

OverkillZJ
11-19-2004, 05:40 PM
John, I think the decision really comes down to what YOU want to get out of the jeep.

Me? I enjoy building my Jeep as much as I do wheeling it. I spent more hours on it this last year than I did studying for my 18 credits of school.

I think I'm the exception to that rule, too :lol:

Do you want a rig that's a pre-packaged trail machine (rubi) - or do you want the time, hassle, and frustration that comes with building your own? I like the frustration, but most people don't. I have a feeling you'd be happier with something that takes little effort to turn into a pretty amazing trail machine. Rubi + bigger tires and lift = go many places without breaking much :D

JB_Pgh
11-19-2004, 05:43 PM
John, I think the decision really comes down to what YOU want to get out of the jeep.

Me? I enjoy building my Jeep as much as I do wheeling it. I spent more hours on it this last year than I did studying for my 18 credits of school.

I think I'm the exception to that rule, too :lol:

Do you want a rig that's a pre-packaged trail machine (rubi) - or do you want the time, hassle, and frustration that comes with building your own? I like the frustration, but most people don't. I have a feeling you'd be happier with something that takes little effort to turn into a pretty amazing trail machine. Rubi + bigger tires and lift = go many places without breaking much :D

Honestly, I'm just not into spending that much time under my jeep any more - too much shit going on with the kids, getting married again (for the last time!), probably relocating soon...

I like the used Rubi idea, I'm glad I got some time to think it through and hear some opinions.

OverkillZJ
11-19-2004, 05:44 PM
plus you have a a gay dog as your avatar. :wink:

John

HAHA, i was wondering when someone would comment on that...

LordAthens
11-19-2004, 06:12 PM
Sorry, but the dog, gay or not, is pimp.

YJBeef
11-19-2004, 10:32 PM
YJ's are nice cause they're cheep,easy, and if ya get body damage, it looks better!

YFZ4FIDDY
11-20-2004, 01:07 AM
Honestly, I'm just not into spending that much time under my jeep any more - too much shit going on with the kids, getting married again (for the last time!), probably relocating soon...

I like the used Rubi idea, I'm glad I got some time to think it through and hear some opinions.

I wouldn't say that too loud....JEEPS ARE BUILT.....not bought.....remember that sh!t?!?!?!?!?

Anyways, you got 4 to 6 weeks to decide if you want to buy the first Rubicon in Pittsburgh. :P

I was sooooooooooooooooooooooo close to going with the Unlimited Rub a dub duck, but I just can't get past the looks.

I'm sure I'll be trading in a year or too, so you can buy that one if you're still waitin' :D

bbaker80
11-20-2004, 02:26 AM
I like wheeling a larger rig. The wheelbase can get you into problems, but more often than not, when I'm wheeling with a bunch of Wranglers, they dig holes and the people twoard the back start to get hung up. I don't fall in the holes at the same time so It dosen't affect me as much. I do have a spare set of back windows "just in case" but I haven't needed them yet. I did manage to mangle some sheet metal this year, but I don't worry too much about trail damage any more, so I'm sure most of it was from being careless. A lot of it is from leaning on trees and walls and such, things that would take out the top on a Wrangler anyway.

As far as not being able to bolt stuff on, I can't see why that would be a problem. The XJ in stock form is pretty capable, and with a good set of leaf springs, drop brackets or long arms up front, and some good shocks, it's really well balanced, and with some trimming can fit 35's easy.

2002wranglerX, I suppose if you had to wheel Q trail, Sluice, Pebbles, Bam Bam, or Voodoo for your groceries then an XJ would be a great grocery getter. In fact, when I was at NACFest this year our "guide" broke in a NEUROCK prepped YJ and had to be towed out, while the XJ's walked right throgh. It's a JEEP thing, not a Wrangler thing (no offense Ralph). About the only trail I've seen run that an XJ most likely would not make it (not that one couldn't) is Death Valley. I've only seen it run once, and that was a tube buggy on a cable. I suppose I could winch myself up it too, but I don't consider that a successful attempt. Maybe if I put some TJ flares on my heep and cut out round covers for my headlights I can look like I have a "real" Jeep. I was under the impression that wheeling was like drag racing...you run what you brung, and hope you brung enough, but apparently you don't see it that way.

OverkillZJ
11-20-2004, 03:02 AM
2002wranglerX, I suppose if you had to wheel Q trail, Sluice, Pebbles, Bam Bam, or Voodoo for your groceries then an XJ would be a great grocery getter. In fact, when I was at NACFest this year our "guide" broke in a NEUROCK prepped YJ and had to be towed out, while the XJ's walked right throgh. It's a JEEP thing, not a Wrangler thing (no offense Ralph). About the only trail I've seen run that an XJ most likely would not make it (not that one couldn't) is Death Valley. I've only seen it run once, and that was a tube buggy on a cable. I suppose I could winch myself up it too, but I don't consider that a successful attempt. Maybe if I put some TJ flares on my heep and cut out round covers for my headlights I can look like I have a "real" Jeep. I was under the impression that wheeling was like drag racing...you run what you brung, and hope you brung enough, but apparently you don't see it that way.

I dunno, he could be right, after all my rig was just such a piece of crap on those 20 something trails I ran out west this summer! :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

http://www.fccsonline.com/pic/jeep/rock2.jpg
http://www.fccsonline.com/pic/jeep/rock.jpg

bbaker80
11-20-2004, 05:46 PM
I bet you cut the hinges on your doors so you could look like one of those cool kids that drives a Wrangler :roll:. Maybe we should both quit wheeling and save up until we can afford enough axle shafts to run 37's on a Dana 30 too.

Flame suit on......

OverkillZJ
11-20-2004, 06:56 PM
I bet you cut the hinges on your doors so you could look like one of those cool kids that drives a Wrangler :roll:. Maybe we should both quit wheeling and save up until we can afford enough axle shafts to run 37's on a Dana 30 too.

Flame suit on......

I dunno about that, I broke 3 d30 shafts just running 35's this summer, a steering box, and 3 rear 44's. Oh ya, now that you mention it, I busted 2 ring gears too!

I don't know if I could EVER be cool enough to run 37's on my locked 30, let alone my teeny weeny detroited 44...

I only unbloted the doors last time, do you think I should just cut the hinges off? ;)

Ok, I guess I'll just have to hack off the top, roll cage it, get some pro rock 60's, and start turning 40" MTR's. then MAYBE I could make it up the powerline run on the right side without a problem.. Oh wait, I already do! :roll: :twisted:

I'll consider my grand less capable the first time I see someone else make it up that lil' teeny connelsville playground climb ;)

THREAD HIJACK!

bbaker80
11-20-2004, 07:35 PM
I actually did consider 37's or 40's on the next build, but really around here where would you NEED a tire that big? I'll probably go 35" MTR's because A: I like MTR's, and B: with the longer wheelbase a slightly larger tire will help me from going turtle.

I am putting in a cage this winter, mostly because I like to try stuff, even if I don't think it's possible. Ask anyone that was at the Badlands this summer how close I came to endoing in Purgatory. The roof stays on until the rock gods pull it off as far as I'm concerned :twisted: . Just missing the sunroof glass leaves, rain, and snakes made enough of a mess this spring.

I might work on the streetability of my rig this winter, I don't want to get a ticket crusing around the mall looking for chicks without an inspection sticker :wink:

OverkillZJ
11-20-2004, 09:15 PM
I made it all summer without an inspection sticker, which is good, cause it'd never pass! :lol:

I'm debating on adding a roll cage this winter too, I've been VERY lucky a few times already... Thing is I want to truck-it out (hack from the passenger section back) and cage it that way, but that's a bigger projcect than I'm looking at getting into this winter.

Bigger tires, na, really don't need them around here. I am set on 40's though in the next few years, for my western adventures, lol.