PDA

View Full Version : calling you out OVERKILLZJ

ZJDRE
08-13-2005, 01:00 PM
ok heres my dumb question of the day. i have a ZJ and i seen on your bigassjeep.com site you have the door off. are there any legal issues regarding taking the door off during driving it on road :?:

OverkillZJ
08-13-2005, 01:08 PM
Haha, normally when I see "calling you out" - I expect someone to be pissed off at me ;)

Notice my doors were off around Utah and Colorado, much much more lenient when it comes to vehicle laws!

There's a good chance you could get away with it, but here's how it is: As far as I know, any vehicle that has not been legally converted into a convertible (and re licensed / registered as such), which was originally equipped with doors, must have those doors on to be street legal. The reason that Wranglers can take their doors off, is (if you can believe this) is that doors are an option with those Jeeps, but included with I believe every "upgrade package" and that's how they can legally remove doors. (Can anyone confirm this? I’m a ZJ guy.)

That being said, odds are that a police officer probably wouldn't know the difference.... I've driven around here once without them and wasn't given any grief, but I wouldn't push my luck. If you made some Tube doors or half doors, you'd probably be a lil' safer.

ZJDRE
08-13-2005, 01:25 PM
alright i was just curious cuz when i went doorless i had a cop followed me for like 10 miles but then turned back.since then i decided it wasnt worth the risk even tho the guys i work with really enjoyed me coming into work with no door on :roll:

LordAthens
08-13-2005, 01:35 PM
Yes, that is correct.

Doors on Wranglers are considered a no cost option. Because it's an option, the vehicle does not have to roll off of the assembly line with them, thusly it is legal to run without them. So long as you have one rearward facing mirror that can view 100ft back. According to PA law, atleast.

xsjado
08-13-2005, 02:36 PM
I wont lie, i was hoping someone wanted to fight matt.

OverkillZJ
08-13-2005, 02:38 PM
I wont lie, i was hoping someone wanted to fight matt.

LMAO, it is my mission in life to piss all of you off so that you want to fight me. No, really, I'm serious.

TimMichaels
08-13-2005, 04:26 PM
ok heres my dumb question of the day. i have a ZJ and i seen on your bigassjeep.com site you have the door off. are there any legal issues regarding taking the door off during driving it on road :?:

I believe I once heard that it was legal to drive doorless as long as you had rearview mirrors. Can't tell you if thats definite or not though.

Bill
08-14-2005, 01:39 PM
Forget about the door issue... Most will not know what the laws are. It is the mirror issue that will get you if you are not running at least a driver's side mirror.

LordAthens
08-14-2005, 01:56 PM
Forget about the door issue... Most will not know what the laws are. It is the mirror issue that will get you if you are not running at least a driver's side mirror.

Ermm.. Do you have that in your code book? I'm just curious, because the code that I had printed out a year or 4 ago about that said you must have one rear facing mirror that can view 100 ft back. IE, a windshield mounted rear view mirror.

Just curious if it's changed or something.

Bill
08-14-2005, 02:05 PM
CHAPTER 175. VEHICLE EQUIPMENT AND INSPECTION

E. PASSENGER CARS AND LIGHT TRUCKS

§ 175.77. Body
(f) Doors. A vehicle specified under this subchapter shall be equipped with doors of a type used as original equipment. The doors shall open and close securely unless the vehicle has been manufactured or modified to the extent that there is no roof or side. Tailgates, except on vehicles where the tailgate gives access to the passenger compartment, may be replaced with wood planking, nets or other material that will prevent loss of load. Tailgates may be removed when optional equipment, for example a truck camper, is added.

Bill
08-14-2005, 02:05 PM

Ermm.. Do you have that in your code book? I'm just curious, because the code that I had printed out a year or 4 ago about that said you must have one rear facing mirror that can view 100 ft back. IE, a windshield mounted rear view mirror.

Just curious if it's changed or something.

Oh, and the mirror restriction is 200ft.