PDA

View Full Version : Settlers Cabin Mountain biking?

Effjae
04-23-2008, 12:29 PM
Anyone ever bike the trails at Settlers Cabin? Any good?:069:

Muzikman
04-23-2008, 01:46 PM
I use to years ago. They were good. They were better than the trails at Boyce Park, but not as nice as Frick Park. Nothing overly technical, but fun none the less.

Effjae
04-23-2008, 02:10 PM
Cool. I got maps from their website. It is close to my work. I may have to hit them on my way home sometime.

NorthFaceZJ
04-23-2008, 02:33 PM
Done many trails over there. Just go to the parking lot in the park and you will see trail heads.

+very flat
+few creek crossings
+on a technical level 1 to 10. I would say its a 3 (easier)
+fun? yes, for the most part.
+it makes a giant loop kinda, so you cant really get lost.

Note - I want to plan a small ride together this weekend...anyone in? Deerlakes? North Park? anywhere is cool

-Joe

Effjae
04-23-2008, 03:33 PM
How many miles are you gonna ride? I am quite in shape yet. I am going to tomlinson run park in WV tonight. They have some decent trails. I used to ride a 19 mile loop out there. Very fun. It has a mix of climbs downhills, etc.

NorthFaceZJ
04-23-2008, 11:15 PM
haha, not 19 or anywhwere close! i am out of shape.

i may not be the best person to ride with for a while. i need to build my endurance up.

if your down for a sunday ride let me know

2002wranglerX
04-24-2008, 12:00 AM
I use to years ago. They were good. They were better than the trails at Boyce Park, but not as nice as Frick Park. Nothing overly technical, but fun none the less.

i'm just not a fan of frick. it's like riding uphill for 2 hours for 30 seconds of intense fun.

pghjeeper
04-24-2008, 12:04 AM
JUst don't go near the bathrooms....Settlers cabin is full of :flamer:

NorthFaceZJ
04-24-2008, 12:09 AM
7 springs is opening up a few new trails. (downhill too). im so pumped for that....any week now they will be opening the new trais....

Effjae
04-24-2008, 08:05 AM
Where would you be riding on Sunday? I am in Weirton, if that means anything to ya. I am not in shape yet either. I have been doing 9 miles or so on the panhandle trail, and 4 to 6 on a mixture of hiking trails and roads at my state park.

Effjae
04-24-2008, 08:06 AM
I am really looking forward to 7springs also. I watched a video of the one trail they currently have open and it looked cool. More is definitely better.

NorthFaceZJ
04-24-2008, 08:56 AM
sunday....hmm....problaly deerlakes or hartwood. they are both most likely 20 - 25 miles from weirton. PM me and ill give you my cell.

jeepxj3
04-24-2008, 01:51 PM
im game!

gearhead313
04-24-2008, 02:51 PM
sunday....hmm....problaly deerlakes

Unless I never found any better trails, I wasn't very impressed with deerlakes. I dropped in at the bottom and rode mostly up hill and then tried dropping in at nearly the top of the park and ended up back at that bottom enterance. I have the map somewhere, but probably never found everything.

Effjae
04-24-2008, 03:00 PM
I am out unless it is somewhere a little closer. That is 54 miles from me.

Effjae
04-24-2008, 03:18 PM
How far is Settlers cabin for you guys? Would it be worth it? I Have a map of there and It looks like they have 6 miles of trails (the loops) and lots of other trails marked on the map.

NorthFaceZJ
04-24-2008, 03:51 PM
maybe we can meet 1/2 way. i am anti-settle cabin (BTT)....but, it could be fun.

let me think of other places that are in between and I will reply back.

another option is to meet at my place right outside pittsburgh and I can drive the rest of the way.

-joe

Shodan
04-24-2008, 03:57 PM
You guys should check out http://www.porcmtbclub.org/ . The forum section is down right now because they are changing servers and I'm not sure if all of the other resources are currently available. You can find tons of ride info about most spots there.

Shodan
04-24-2008, 03:59 PM
Bavington sounds perfect for you guys. Didn't you want to check it out Effjae?

Effjae
04-24-2008, 04:03 PM
We'll figure something out. Baving does sound cool, I just have never been there.

cjw94xk
08-20-2008, 08:45 PM
Made it out to Settlers Cabin today. The trails seemed pretty short, but still fun for how close it it to my work. If anyone is up for a ride sometime let me know, I can go just about any night during the week. Also, I went down tepee trail. Towards the middle there was a waterfall trail. Anyone ever go down there? I was on a bit of a time crunch so I didn't venture it.

2002wranglerX
08-20-2008, 09:07 PM
do you have lights? i'm in but it'll probably be night riding. i'm fully set up with GPS, lights, etc so we can find our way out.

Wrecker
08-20-2008, 09:37 PM
50% of the time I went to the waterfall we would find somebody makeing out or more. Just seemed like a good place to get frisky.

YJBeef
08-20-2008, 09:41 PM
I was gonna suggest Bavington and someone already did. I've ridden there quite a few times and it has been fun everytime. A good mix for everything, lots of twistie trails, up and down, nice log crossing, some creek crossings, and ya can't beat some of the views for breaks!

cjw94xk
08-20-2008, 09:53 PM
i definitely wanna get down to Bavington sometime soon, but I really just started riding again about three weeks ago. So maybe in a few more weeks when I get my legs back under me.
As for the night riding... I used to love doing it but as of right now I am not set up for it. I was gonna look into a setup though. Any recommendations?

gearhead313
08-21-2008, 09:02 AM
I also im chomping at the bit to get to Bavington. I hear nothing but good things.

2002wranglerX
08-21-2008, 11:30 AM
i definitely wanna get down to Bavington sometime soon, but I really just started riding again about three weeks ago. So maybe in a few more weeks when I get my legs back under me.
As for the night riding... I used to love doing it but as of right now I am not set up for it. I was gonna look into a setup though. Any recommendations?

everyone is preaching LED but i'm not 100% sold yet.

i'm running a nite-rider Moab HID setup. I've seen some HID setups on ebay going for 150 bucks-300 bucks. You can get into a tri-newt LED for 400, but i honestly can't see having less light than what i have with my HID.

Urbanek runs a motorcycle helmet HID that's ridiculous. It's like the sun going down the trail. It washes out my HID! only thing is it's pretty large and heavy. But it certainly puts out a HELLUVA lot of light!

i think he built that in the 300 dollar range.

jeepxj3
08-21-2008, 11:31 AM
50% of the time I went to the waterfall we would find somebody makeing out or more. Just seemed like a good place to get frisky.

is that where you take all your boyfriends?

Wrecker
08-21-2008, 12:16 PM
is that where you take all your boyfriends?
It would take you to assume that. I am straight. I have a wife. I have a child. YOU??????:011:

gearhead313
08-21-2008, 01:00 PM
how far is this settlers cabin from say the north hills? I'd be down for checking it out.... once my horse is back together.

Wrecker
08-21-2008, 01:14 PM
Settlers is in the Robinson Twp area.

gearhead313
08-21-2008, 01:50 PM
http://www.alleghenycounty.us/parks/maps/scmap.pdf

thats the park? says the trails are blazed, but nothing about biking.

Effjae
08-21-2008, 02:58 PM
I need to start riding again. I am so out of shape it is not funny.

ArtCloud
08-21-2008, 08:52 PM
settlers cabin trails suck, there's a puddle to go around every 10 feet it takes about an hour to ride a trail that should take 15 minutes, i would recommend bavington or south park any day of the week over settlers, there are nice trails in the settlers area but not in the park.

cjw94xk
08-21-2008, 09:34 PM
settlers cabin trails suck, there's a puddle to go around every 10 feet it takes about an hour to ride a trail that should take 15 minutes, i would recommend bavington or south park any day of the week over settlers, there are nice trails in the settlers area but not in the park.
If they are not in the park, where are they? I do agree there is a good amount of mud, but honestly that does not bother me. I have been to South Park before but barely scratched the surface of whats down there. For me though, Settler's is much more convenient...

ArtCloud
08-22-2008, 01:09 PM
There is a trail that you can run from the old logging road on noblestown across from the sewer pipe plant on greg station. if you know the right trails to take you can ride all the way out to gamble road then circle back around to pinkerton road and go straight accross the road to another trail. If you follow that long enough it will take you right onto ridge road between bayers property and settlers and its not too tough to ride ridge road back to baldwin and back down to noblestown and pickup your car.

Theres also a way to use the trails from the tennis courts to cut back down to the old road (used to be a park entrance) across the street from the roadway tavern where baldwin meets noblestown. This is one of the trails that will give you a headache from all the puddles you have to dodge though.

Those are the trails worth riding, i will try to make a map later this weekend if i have time...

ArtCloud
08-22-2008, 01:32 PM
Give me your email and I'll forward you the map i made, its not perfect but it illustrates where the trails take you.

cjw94xk
08-24-2008, 03:53 PM
Well, today I took a longer ride at Settler's today. Started on the Tepee trail but branched of which took me through some tight single track. Somehow I ended up on the pink trail and then the purple, and then eventually down the pipeline where there was a nice drop off. But after that, all I saw was mud. Came up the backside of the waterfall trail and I ended up walking a bit of it because I could not get any traction. Still not to bad for being close by, but I think it is time to hit South Park or something.