PDA

View Full Version : My brakes SUCK!!! (MTN Bike related)

jeepxj3
06-02-2008, 11:59 AM
I have hydraulic disk brakes on my Xcal and I am beginning to remember why I hate Shimano...

I have never been easy on my bikes in the past, and for how much I have invested in this fawker, it should be able to take the punishment im dealing it...

Anyways my rear brakes seem to hang up, like you will pull the lever and it wont return the full way. As for the front, I need to keep adjusting it because it keeps rubbing, and NO I did not grab the front brake when the wheel wasnt on.

So, tomorrow after I clean up my bike im gonna head down to Dirty Harrys and see what they suggest I do, hell the bike was just tuned up before this past run!:fu: If they cant get it figured out, im gonna swap on a new brake setup and sell my old setup. I think for how I ride I may need something a bit better.

Muzikman
06-02-2008, 12:02 PM
I had Shimano hydo's on my Cannondale and although they took a bit of time to get use to setting them up right, I never had an single problem with them and I am brutal on bikes.

Dirty Harry's is a great place, I am sure they will fix you up.

highlandercj-7
06-02-2008, 12:08 PM
Talk to Trailer Rails on BLWA, he da bike man.

jeepxj3
06-02-2008, 12:10 PM
any suggestions for upgrades if they cant get it right? I was thinking of Avid Juicy 7's

http://www.pricepoint.com/images/styleImages/D_115%20AVDJ73.jpg

trailblaze
06-02-2008, 12:20 PM
what ever happened to the "back peddle" brake. you know where you just pushed back on the peddles to apply the brake?? am i out the the bike scene or what

Muzikman
06-02-2008, 12:34 PM
Hell man, coaster brakes have not been the norm on bikes in 30+ years. You still find them on little kids bikes, but I would be shocked if you found them on any bike larger than 16" wheels. :)

I have never ran any SRAM/Avid stuff, though they always seem to get good reviews (Better than Shimano). Though, I am sure they are not cheap.

jeepxj3
06-02-2008, 12:52 PM
Hell man, coaster brakes have not been the norm on bikes in 30+ years. You still find them on little kids bikes, but I would be shocked if you found them on any bike larger than 16" wheels. :)

I have never ran any SRAM/Avid stuff, though they always seem to get good reviews (Better than Shimano). Though, I am sure they are not cheap.

actually the reviews I read actually blow... I figured stick with what Fisher is putting on their bikes, but I dont want to put crap on it if it doesnt hold up.

Muzikman
06-02-2008, 12:57 PM
I meant in general. SRAM stuff has always gotten better reviews than Shimano.

Krod
06-02-2008, 12:58 PM
Magura's :033:

jeepxj3
06-02-2008, 01:11 PM
Magura's :033:

those are pretty sick!

trailerrails
06-02-2008, 04:33 PM
The Deore brakes that came stock on those bikes got recalled, not for the problems you are talking about but they were leaking where the caliper splits in half. I have always thought shimano did a good job with their brakes until this year. The Avid Juicy brakes are the brakes to get. The 3's are cheep and easy to adjust.

jeepxj3
06-02-2008, 04:55 PM
The Deore brakes that came stock on those bikes got recalled, not for the problems you are talking about but they were leaking where the caliper splits in half. I have always thought shimano did a good job with their brakes until this year. The Avid Juicy brakes are the brakes to get. The 3's are cheep and easy to adjust.

sweet thanks!

MF Steve!
06-02-2008, 05:05 PM
I can't complain about my Hayes HFX Mag HD disc brakes.

2002wranglerX
06-02-2008, 10:58 PM
any suggestions for upgrades if they cant get it right? I was thinking of Avid Juicy 7's

http://www.pricepoint.com/images/styleImages/D_115%20AVDJ73.jpg

i run juicy 7's on mine. The piston depth is adjustable (i think that's what you'd call it) which is nice.

i've always had the best luck setting my calipers by doing this:

1. Make sure wheel is seated on entirely.
2. loosen caliper
3. spin your wheel.
4. have a buddy (or you) hold the brake.
5. While keeping the brake held, tighten bolts to hold caliper.

see if that works for you.

jeepxj3
06-05-2008, 11:59 PM
this is why I love Dirty Harry's... Walk in with bike talk to Scott, says take bike in back BAM! Instantly they drop everything and start working on my bike!

You couldnt ask for better service!!! Brakes will wait for a while, the techs also showed me how to fix it, if it happens again. I also picked up a chainstay protector, and another tube since my last spare went to Ryan.

Oh I also did the 100mm shock mod to my Fox F29, it rides alot smoother now and sucks up crazy bumps.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v18/JeepXJ3/Mountain%20Biking/IMG_2968.jpg

fear374
06-06-2008, 01:46 AM
A little off the subject, my brother owns a skatepark in perryopolis, Brickhouse Skatepark, and we're a set up dealer and our one distributor deals mainly with mountain bike parts, so If you need something shoot me a PM and I'll see what kind of deal I can get you on it. Or just stop down and hit up some raaaaaaaaaaamps. I've been a pedal pagan for ever. 20 in, but it gets it done hahaha.

2002wranglerX
06-06-2008, 07:13 AM
dude, let me know what that tube cost ya and next time i see you i'll give ya some $.

I completely forgot i grabbed your spare man.

jeepxj3
06-06-2008, 08:06 AM
dude, let me know what that tube cost ya and next time i see you i'll give ya some $.

I completely forgot i grabbed your spare man.

:082: no biggie bud, we had a good ride! Just hit me up or someone else next time around ;)