PDA

View Full Version : Firewood at a State Park

cjw94xk
08-07-2008, 09:23 PM
Just a quirk question. Mt girlfriend and I are going camping down at Raccoon Park this weekend. Does anyone know if I can buy firewood there? Reason I ask is someone told me you are not allowed to bring your own in case it has foreign diseases/insects. Is this true?
Thanks

OverkillZJ
08-07-2008, 09:26 PM
There's a small gas station on rt 18 just before the main entrance that sells firewood (I was there last saturday).

DMG
08-07-2008, 09:36 PM
It has been a while since I camped there but we brought our own. Do you know they don't allow alchahol in the park?

Bill
08-07-2008, 09:38 PM
You can buy it locally, but it is a rip off (of course.)

cjw94xk
08-07-2008, 10:04 PM
It has been a while since I camped there but we brought our own. Do you know they don't allow alchahol in the park?

They don't look for it, do they? I know that it is prohibited, but also very hide able at the same time.

OverkillZJ
08-07-2008, 10:10 PM
They don't look... I didn't take any last week, but got the impression no one cared.

cjw94xk
08-07-2008, 10:14 PM
I figured that as long as people don't act up, they probably don't care.
On other question. From the camping area labeled "d" how long of a hike is it to the lake/creek area? I was looking on Google maps and really did not see any direct path, only walking straight through the woods.
An ideas?

TimMichaels
08-13-2008, 03:01 PM
They don't look for it, do they? I know that it is prohibited, but also very hide able at the same time.

I don't know about that particular park, but they will do random checks at Cook Forest and Ohiopyle State Parks. At Cook Forest, they will not hesitate to fine anyone they catch.

highlandercj-7
08-13-2008, 06:31 PM
COOL I'm heading down there with the family this weekend too. I was there a couple weeks ago and the boat house sells fire wood too. Are you going to the primitive or modern camp site?

I believe it's about a 1/2 mile hike through the woods to the water, from the G ground it's .4 mi.

warwagon98xj
07-31-2009, 04:10 PM
I don't know about that particular park, but they will do random checks at Cook Forest and Ohiopyle State Parks. At Cook Forest, they will not hesitate to fine anyone they catch.

how do they proove where it came from? just curios do they do like a bird crap analysis or something?

Muzikman
07-31-2009, 04:25 PM
No, they know the kind of wood they sell. If it's not the same, they fine you.

These tree killing bugs are a big issue. Please don't promote spreading them, spend the extra couple bucks and buy your wood locally.

Shodan
07-31-2009, 05:27 PM
Besides, that year-old quote was in regards to smuggling booze not wood.

As to firewood, is it still OK to gather dead wood that is lying around? I'm sure that most popular camp sites are pretty picked over, but I'd buy maybe one bundle to be safe and gather the rest, legal or not.

Muzikman
07-31-2009, 05:44 PM
Yeah, most state parks and campgrounds allow you to gather fallen wood. You can not cut down live trees and you can not use a chain saw to cut up any fallen wood (without a wood fuel permit).

pittim
07-31-2009, 06:28 PM
Yeah, most state parks and campgrounds allow you to gather fallen wood. You can not cut down live trees and you can not use a chain saw to cut up any fallen wood (without a wood fuel permit).
Does the same rule apply to National Forests?

Because last time I went camping in ANF, I brought 15 or so pallets in my truck and we used a chainsaw to cut a bunch of fallen wood.

TimMichaels
07-31-2009, 07:57 PM
Does the same rule apply to National Forests?

Because last time I went camping in ANF, I brought 15 or so pallets in my truck and we used a chainsaw to cut a bunch of fallen wood.

Against the rules on both counts.

jim91303
08-01-2009, 02:55 PM
on the fire wood ..... the dnr would rather you bought wood locally then to bring your owne .. how ever if you bring it ... burn all of it do not leave it for the next camper. that is what it says in the 2009-2010 hunting digest.

i personally would take my own ... i'm not rich... i have 13 acreas of woods .... and pleanty of freshly fallen trees. free vs burnin $ .

Christopher
08-02-2009, 12:40 PM
I was camping near Erie in July and the camp ground owner said they want you to keep the wood in the same county.
There were purple boxes hanging from trees to track insects.

The problem I always have is the wood I buy is never as dry as the stuff I have had sitting for years. The bought usually hisses and smokes at you. So I have needed to use my wood to get it hot enough to burn.

My next trip I plan to bring some 2x4's to keep the fire hot and should not be in danger of spreading insects or getting busted by the man.

TimMichaels
08-02-2009, 06:30 PM
on the fire wood ..... the dnr would rather you bought wood locally then to bring your owne .. how ever if you bring it ... burn all of it do not leave it for the next camper. that is what it says in the 2009-2010 hunting digest.

i personally would take my own ... i'm not rich... i have 13 acreas of woods .... and pleanty of freshly fallen trees. free vs burnin $ .

That's the spirit, thanks for your cooperation.