PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Biking Question

Ronin152
08-21-2008, 01:59 PM
Always hear people saying that they got last years model of a bike for a large discount. I am in the market for a bike and have not been able to find such a deal. I was just wondering what is mountain bikings year end or when the season or next years bikes come out? Thanks.

2002wranglerX
08-21-2008, 02:44 PM
i never see that great a deal on last years models. Actually scholls in warrendale sells 03 models for like 200 bucks off what retail was! i looked at a sugar there once and it was near retail price!

although ebay at the end of the season often has lots of decent deals on rental bikes.

Ronin152
08-21-2008, 02:52 PM
I would assume end of season then is winter?

Effjae
08-21-2008, 02:57 PM
Trek had some in February and March.

plk457
08-22-2008, 08:14 AM
You can contact Nemacolin as well for after the season used bikes. They sell off some of thier rental fleet every fall. They have been using Specialized Rockhoppers for the past couple of years, and I assume they are still with Specialized. PM me if you want a contact number. They are used bikes but generaly they are in great condition and have been taken care of.

jeepxj3
08-22-2008, 08:54 AM
Being an educated buyer also helps, if you can spot the right bike you can typically spot the right deal. But if you go into a shop with the idea that THEY are going to show you last years bikes, then your setting yourself up for failure.

example:
my 06 Stinky retailed for $3100 IIRC, got it brand new 3 models later for $2000, thats $1100 savings!

trailerrails
08-22-2008, 09:53 AM
If you are of an average size the it is even harder to find a left over bike. You need to be tall or short.
Generally what happens with bikes every year is that they go up in price or they get down graded. So that automatically makes the last years bike more appealing, then all we have to do is mark the price down a bit, like someone said above $200 or less, depends on the price.
The reason you don't see left over bikes anymore is because of computers. As a shop we can buy much smarter by reserching past sales and by looking at what our suppliers current stock is.
As a store if we have something left over, that is the first thing we show. We want that old stock out of here. That is another reason you don't see many left over bikes, the computers help us quickly find bikes in the store and move the old stock. No more bikes forgotten about in the back of the basement.

2002wranglerX
08-22-2008, 10:16 AM
No more bikes forgotten about in the back of the basement.

unless you're scholls lol. at least they used to.

There's a kingfisher 1 for 1500 bucks up at the trek store in cranberry.... i wouldn't use it for XC though.

how serious do you want to get? what do you plan on riding? just trails or like downhil?