PDA

View Full Version : McCains VP

MemorEsto
08-29-2008, 11:19 AM
McCain still has a few tricks up his sleeve....

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25970882/?GT1=43001

BAD_GNR
08-29-2008, 11:29 AM
I just saw that, interesting. :kyle: It seems like he's trying to capture the voters that might be voting for Obama just to be different, or part of a first. Or maybe the voters that would have been for Hillary because she's a woman. I don't know, or really care that much.

I'm more interested in who's getting cut from the Steelers final team, shows where my priorities are.

Wrecker
08-29-2008, 11:34 AM
Five kids. We have some hobbies in common.

MemorEsto
08-29-2008, 11:42 AM
http://67.18.219.83/image_hosting/web_pages/blu_eyez/Fark/McCAIN_MILF.jpg

Wrecker
08-29-2008, 11:45 AM
Yeah he dosn't keep to many dogs around him.

Powerguy37
08-29-2008, 11:46 AM
I'd hit it.:118:

Effjae
08-29-2008, 11:53 AM
I bet he picked her cause she smells good.

MemorEsto
08-29-2008, 11:54 AM
http://bp2.blogger.com/_uExTzMIDd1Y/R2O5nKq9_tI/AAAAAAAAATE/At2bb_K_3ao/s400/Sarah-Palin-Vogue.jpg

Wrecker
08-29-2008, 12:56 PM
Second place as Miss Alaska in the 80's. Not bad.

MemorEsto
08-29-2008, 01:00 PM

She got better looking with age.

highlandercj-7
08-29-2008, 01:03 PM
Definately a MILF.

Effjae
08-29-2008, 01:44 PM
I'd give her a mushroom stamp any day!

Cebby
08-29-2008, 01:49 PM
I'd give her a mushroom stamp any day!

ROFL

Bird_Flu
08-29-2008, 03:22 PM
http://www.usmagazine.com/files/palin-miss-alaska-b.jpg

BigDukeSix
08-29-2008, 03:40 PM

Now we'll never get that smell off the fish...

BigDukeSix
08-29-2008, 04:27 PM
Remeber it's legal to smoke medicinal herbs in your house and possess up to four ounces of it in Alaska .... For you voters with a green thumb.:smoke:

Kevin CJ
08-29-2008, 06:19 PM
Remeber it's legal to smoke medicinal herbs in your house and possess up to four ounces of it in Alaska .... For you voters with a green thumb.:smoke:

my thumb is always green!! lol

her kidshave some weird names. willow? track? trig? piper?
iv got a feeling they were smoking more than herb up there.

cjw94xk
08-29-2008, 08:35 PM
WOW. Does everyone realize what this could possibly mean? If McCain wins the presidency, in four years from now it is possibly to have two separate women fighting for the White House.

OverkillZJ
08-30-2008, 10:43 AM
I think it's a good move.

Deadman 94 xj
08-30-2008, 11:24 AM
I think it's a very smart move.

"Governor Sarah Palin made history on Dec. 4, 2006 when she took office. As the 11th governor of Alaska, she is the first woman to hold the office. During her first legislative session, Governor Palin’s administration passed two major pieces of legislation – an overhaul of the state’s ethics laws and a competitive process to construct a gas pipeline. Since taking office, her top priorities have been education, workforce development, public safety, resource development and infrastructure. Under her leadership, Alaska invested $1 billion in the state’s education fund and implemented
the Senior Benefits Program that provides support for low-income older Alaskans. She created Alaska’s Petroleum Systems Integrity Office to provide oversight and maintenance of oil and gas equipment, facilities and infrastructure, and the Climate Change Subcabinet to prepare a climate change strategy for Alaska. Governor Palin is chair of the Interstate Oil and Gas Compact Commission, a multi-state government agency that promotes the conservation and efficient recovery of domestic oil and natural gas resources while protecting health, safety and the environment. She also serves as vice chair of the National Governors Association (NGA) Natural Resources Committee, which is charged with pursuing legislation to ensure state needs are considered as federal policy is formulated in the areas of agriculture, energy, environmental protection and natural resource management. Prior to her election as governor, Palin served for two terms on the Wasilla City Council and two terms as the mayor/manager of Wasilla. During her tenure, she reduced property tax levels while increasing services and made Wasilla a business friendly environment drawing in new industry. She has served as chair of the Alaska Oil and Gas Conservation Commission, which regulates Alaska’s most valuable non-renewable resources: oil and gas. She was elected by her peers to serve as president of the Alaska Conference of Mayors. In this role, she worked with local, state and federal officials to promote solutions to the needs of Alaska’s communities.
Before beginning a career in public service, Governor Palin worked in the media and utility industries. Sarah Heath Palin arrived in Alaska with her family in 1964, when her parents came to teach school in Skagway. She received a bachelor of science degree in communications-journalism
from the University of Idaho in 1987. She is married to Todd Palin, a lifelong Alaskan, a production operator on the North Slope and a four-time champion of the Iron Dog, the world’s longest snowmachine race. Todd and Sarah commercial fish in Bristol Bay with their children – Track, Bristol, Willow and Piper. Track enlisted in the U.S. Army on Sept. 11, 2007. She was active in her family’s pursuits – including serving as a sports team mom and school
volunteer. She also runs marathons. Palin is a lifetime member of the NRA and enjoys hunting, fishing, Alaska history, and all that Alaska’s great outdoors has to offer".

"A good commentary.

With multiple media outlets confirming now that Governor Sarah Palin will indeed join the Republican ticket as John McCain’s running mate, McCain has clearly chosen to play offense rather than defense. Instead of a safe choice, such as closest runner-up Mitt Romney or genial Everyman Tim Pawlenty, McCain took some risk with a relative newcomer to national politics. Palin will inject risk, excitement, controversy, and an unexpected historic note to the Republican convention.

First, though, let’s assess the risk. Palin has served less than two years as Governor of Alaska, which tends to eat into the experience message on which McCain has relied thus far. At 44, she’s younger than Barack Obama by three years. She has served as a mayor and as the Ethics Commissioner on the state board regulating oil and naturalk gas, for a total of eight years political experience before her election as governor. That’s also less than Obama has, with seven years in the Illinois legislature and three in the US Senate.

However, the nature of the experience couldn’t be more different. Palin spent her entire political career crusading against the political machine that rules Alaska — which exists in her own Republican party. She blew the whistle on the state GOP chair, who had abused his power on the same commission to conduct party business. Obama, in contrast, talked a great deal about reform in Chicago but never challenged the party machine, preferring to take an easy ride as a protegé of Richard Daley instead.

Palin has no formal foreign-policy experience, which puts her at a disadvantage to Joe Biden. However, in nineteen months as governor, she certainly has had more practical experience in diplomacy than Biden or Obama have ever seen. She runs the only American state bordered only by two foreign countries, one of which has increasingly grown hostile to the US again, Russia.

And let’s face it — Team Obama can hardly attack Palin for a lack of foreign-policy experience. Obama has none at all, and neither Obama or Biden have any executive experience. Palin has almost over seven years of executive experience.

Politically, this puts Obama in a very tough position. The Democrats had prepared to launch a full assault on McCain’s running mate, but having Palin as a target creates one large headache. If they go after her like they went after Hillary Clinton, Obama risks alienating women all over again. If they don’t go after her like they went after Hillary, he risks alienating Hillary supporters, who will see this as a sign of disrespect for Hillary.

For McCain, this gives him a boost like no other in several different ways. First, the media will eat this up. That effectively buries Obama’s acceptance speech and steals the oxygen he needs for a long-term convention bump. A Romney or Pawlenty pick would not have accomplished that.

Second, Palin will re-energize the base. She’s not just a pro-life advocate, she’s lived the issue herself. That will attract the elements of the GOP that had held McCain at a distance since the primaries and provide positive motivation for Republicans, rather than just rely on anti-Democrat sentiment to get them to the polls.

Third, and I think maybe most importantly, Palin addresses the energy issue better and more attuned to the American electorate than maybe any of the other three principals in this election. Even beyond her efforts to reform the Oil and Natural Gas Commission, she has demonstrated her independence from so-called “Big Oil” while promoting domestic production. She brings instant credibility to the ticket on energy policy, and reminds independents and centrists that the Obama-Biden ticket offers nothing but the same excuses we’ve heard for 30 years.

Finally, based on all of the above, McCain can remind voters who has the real record of reform. Obama talks a lot about it but has no actual record of reform, and for a running mate, he chose a 35-year Washington insider with all sorts of connections to lobbyists and pork. McCain has fought pork, taken real political risks to fight undue influence of lobbyists, and he picked an outsider who took on her own party — and won.

This is change you can believe in, and not change that amounts to all talk. McCain changed the trajectory of the race today by stealing Obama’s strength and turning it against him. Obama provided that opening by picking Biden as his running mate, and McCain was smart enough to take advantage of the opening".

Deadman 94 xj
08-30-2008, 11:34 AM
Also, her youngest son has Downs Syndrome, and her and her husband knew well in advance.
Being pro life her choice was clear to her.

Deadman 94 xj
08-30-2008, 11:42 AM
Oh yeah.. She's HOT!
http://www.undiplomatic.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/blair_chenoweth_25yoa.jpeg

.J u s t i n
08-30-2008, 11:55 AM
Definately a MILF.

More like VPILF

Wrecker
08-30-2008, 04:41 PM
Can we just elect her President?

OverkillZJ
08-30-2008, 11:05 PM
Dayum!

OverkillZJ
08-30-2008, 11:28 PM
Oh yeah.. She's HOT!
http://www.undiplomatic.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/blair_chenoweth_25yoa.jpeg

File name says that's Blair Chenoweth.

Powerguy37
08-31-2008, 12:12 AM
Oh yeah.. She's HOT!

Yeah she's hot but that's not the her.

Deadman 94 xj
08-31-2008, 12:25 AM
You guys sure about that?
It looks like her to me. I could be wrong, I pulled it from another forum.

Powerguy37
08-31-2008, 09:26 AM
You guys sure about that?
It looks like her to me. I could be wrong, I pulled it from another forum.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0gKH1v20e3aU3/340x.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.daylife.com/photo/0gKH1v20e3aU3&h=501&w=340&sz=39&hl=en&start=5&um=1&usg=__DRBJ7PBQdZY-wouoHWYaJ9WhRIY=&tbnid=rRxAOudUFDwfXM:&tbnh=130&tbnw=88&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dblair%2Bchenoweth%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den% 26safe%3Doff%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26sa%3DN

Bill
09-01-2008, 07:05 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v330/borderguy/Babies-and-taxes.jpg

Wrecker
09-01-2008, 07:16 PM
Yeah she is a breader. Now her 17 year old daughter is knocked up.

Deadman 94 xj
09-02-2008, 12:09 AM
Yeah she is a breader. Now her 17 year old daughter is knocked up.

Ha! I just heard. She's 5 months. WTF!

OverkillZJ
09-02-2008, 09:32 AM
Not much to do during the winter in Alaska. She's having the kid, fine by me, I don't see how that effects Palin as a leader.

Wrecker
09-02-2008, 09:42 AM
The kid just need to learn birth control. Age 16 who wasn't or at least wanted to.

BigDukeSix
09-02-2008, 02:08 PM
I dont think they're into birth control. I thought that Palin values abstenence and wants that taught in school. So much for that, now you got a knocked up teenager.

Effjae
09-02-2008, 02:33 PM
She also wants creationism taught in schools.....lmao.

OverkillZJ
09-02-2008, 02:38 PM
It comes with the political territory. Don't pick a candidate on the few things you don't like about them.

(Then again, I picked mine on the 99 billion things I DON'T like about Obama.)

BigDukeSix
09-02-2008, 03:37 PM
Don't matter who wins, they're getting a shit sandwich and the winner will be a loser in the end. The defecit, unemployment, recession, Iraq, Afghanistan, Russia, oil prices, falling dollar value, housing market, etc., etc.... There isnt alot of good to build on. Unless outsourcing, WalMart and lead tainted Chinese imports are a success story... 8 years of GW, I'll be glad when its over.

OverkillZJ
09-02-2008, 03:41 PM
Kill some of those corporate taxes, you'll start seeing outsourced jobs returning. Oil issue is supply and demand: let's make some more supply. Even Bush's (fake) lift of the drilling band had the effect of showing prospectors that MAYBE this could happen, that alone dropped the price.

Iraq is going well. Don't want to get into whether we should have gone there or not, but the surge made a difference. It will eventually (I'm not ignorant enough to claim I know when or how) no longer be such a financial drain, and it will no longer be such a clusterfawk of sand, which benefits the world. Yes, I realize there is many more clusterfaks of sand.

Unemployment is pretty low compared to our history, and the accuracy stats have been called into question.

Russia: I'd rather have McCain consider nuking them, than Obama disarming us and laying a flower at their feet. That's scary.

Have you looked at the housing market? Not bad! Buying is slower due to the credit crunch, but there's no way you can say it's bad.

As for the falling dollar, we need this to be an economy where business want to run here, not outsource, not send profits overseas (move.) Taxing corporations is not the answer to that, that is exactly what kills this economy (Notice that wasn't a don't tax the rich argument, that's another story!)

BigDukeSix
09-02-2008, 04:30 PM
Yuo kill corporate taxes they have to be made up somewhere...Like my paycheck.

Whether the surge worked or not, we shall see. The true test will be when and if we leave. Let's see what happens then. I think I can guess.

McCain ain't nuking nobody.

Why is there a credit crunch? Why have there been so many foreclosures?
Nevada, California, Arizona post top state foreclosure rates
One in every 54 Nevada households received a foreclosure filing during the first quarter, the highest foreclosure rate among the states and 3.6 times the national average. Foreclosure filings were reported on 19,595 Nevada properties during the quarter, up 3 percent from the previous quarter and up 137 percent from the first quarter of 2007.
Foreclosure filings were reported on 169,831 California properties during the first quarter, the highest total among the states and a rate of one in every 78 households — the nation’s second highest foreclosure rate. Foreclosure activity in California increased 32 percent from the previous quarter and was up nearly 213 percent from the first quarter of 2007.
Arizona documented the nation’s third highest state foreclosure rate, with one in every 95 households receiving a foreclosure filing during the quarter. Foreclosure filings were reported on 27,404 Arizona properties during the quarter, up 45 percent from the previous quarter and up nearly 245 percent from the first quarter of 2007.
One article I read said one foreclosure can impose up to $34,000 in direct costs to local government and directly affect local property values up to 220,000 dollars. Who is paying for all of this? Big business?

Buy more imported cars. Thats the answer to a lagging economy.

OverkillZJ
09-02-2008, 04:39 PM
You pay every penny of corporate taxes. Believe me. When I get taxed more, I work it into my prices. So does every business in the US. The only person who pays taxes is the consumer (essentially, our current taxing system just plain sucks.)

dan58
09-02-2008, 04:41 PM
Yuo kill corporate taxes they have to be made up somewhere...Like my paycheck.

Without corporations, you won't have a paycheck to be taxed. What do you want?

OverkillZJ
09-02-2008, 04:43 PM
Why is there a credit crunch? Why have there been so many foreclosures?

Simple: people can't seem to have credit, and not max it out, and live way beyond their means. Some folks did get screwed, but the majority of them simply never sat down to figure out of they could afford that house. Why would you get a variable mortgage?

The mortgage companies did their job: sell mortgages.. it's the consumers job to assess whether they can afford it or not.

Now thanks to big government, we're bailing out folks who simply should have done the math in the first place (Yeah, I realize that comment will rub a lot of folks the wrong way.)

Wrecker
09-02-2008, 04:46 PM
California is a 1 action state. That means if your house is forclosed on you can go buy another without any credit issues. You bought too much of an inflated house. So what. Quit paying and go buy another since prices have adjusted. Who loses? the Bank and it's customers. It all comes back to smart business and goverment. Profit and bottom line is what ruled this economy into the levels it was. Now we pay the price.

BigDukeSix
09-02-2008, 07:01 PM
Wow. Maybe i just see it totally different than everyone here I guess. I'm glad you all are so wealthy you are able to think "f" everyone else. Me and my measly blue collar job, should be so fortunate.

Krod
09-02-2008, 07:21 PM
Keep talking up the so called "recession" and falling dollar values. Our business is up because of it, so I thank the media sheeple that think either of those are bad things for the long term US financial situation.

Its going to be an interesting presidency thats for sure; No matter who wins. You want to make a REAL difference in public policy? Go bug your SENATOR. Thats where your vote is heard louder, and with more weight than any presidential candidate.

BigDukeSix
09-02-2008, 07:22 PM
[quote=Krod;120467

Its going to be an interesting presidency thats for sure; No matter who wins. You want to make a REAL difference in public policy? Go bug your SENATOR. Thats where your vote is heard louder, and with more weight than any presidential candidate.[/quote]

X2. I agree with that.

Jpdst29
09-02-2008, 07:30 PM
http://www.thehollywoodgossip.com/images/gallery/bristol-palin-photo.jpg

i'd hit it...maybe not raw-dog. but i'm not going to lie and say it wouldn't cross my mind.

Wrecker
09-02-2008, 07:36 PM
Jerome she is under age. Right, you know that.

Jpdst29
09-02-2008, 08:17 PM
of course i know that.

Backwoods Couple
09-02-2008, 08:44 PM
of course i know that.

It's alright jerome.. she is already pregnant... No worries there!

Jpdst29
09-02-2008, 08:53 PM
It's alright jerome.. she is already pregnant... No worries there!

haha. exactly, except maybe poking the baby in the eye and making it blind.

BigDukeSix
09-02-2008, 08:54 PM
http://www.thehollywoodgossip.com/images/gallery/bristol-palin-photo.jpg

i'd hit it...maybe not raw-dog. but i'm not going to lie and say it wouldn't cross my mind.

Jerome that would land you a five to ten up state where you might find some dudes wanting to go bareback with you...:087:
Better to stick with her mom...

Jpdst29
09-02-2008, 08:59 PM
alaska's age of consent is 16.

but either way. her mom would be a safer bet. good call!

jimmyc751
09-02-2008, 10:16 PM
A qoute from mystery Alaska: "I fornicate and play hockey cause they’re the two most fun things to do (javascript:void(0)) in cold weather."

OverkillZJ
09-03-2008, 09:54 AM
Wow. Maybe i just see it totally different than everyone here I guess. I'm glad you all are so wealthy you are able to think "f" everyone else. Me and my measly blue collar job, should be so fortunate.

What the hell?

No one said F everyone else, but some economics simply don't work for ANYONE. Read what I wrote again, no where did it say I was rich, no where did it say "f everyone else." A bad economy hurts all classes, and taxing corporations until they no longer want to thrive here simply means no more jobs.

Like I said: you're already paying corporate taxes. When they raise them, you'll pay more.

Wrecker
09-03-2008, 10:12 AM
Govermant costs so much to run. It has to be paid one way or another. We pay it direct or indirect. The olny way to lower the cost is smart thinking and spending on the part of the goverment. Or make it smaller and offer less services and such.

Jimbo
09-03-2008, 08:51 PM
Why would you get a variable mortgage?

Because you are stupid and believe the mortgage company when they tell you that you can refinance in a few years?

The mortgage companies did their job: sell mortgages.. it's the consumers job to assess whether they can afford it or not.

The Mortgage companies did their job???? Are you insane? They took bad risks and then acted surprised when poor people with bad credit couldn't afford the mcmansions that the mortgage companies themselves urged them to buy so they defaulted on their loans! Then their lobbyists got the government to bail them out at the taxpayers' expense. The mortgage companies' actions were nothing short of criminal. Don't get me wrong, the people who took loans they couldn't afford were guilty too, but the mortgage companies were just as guilty - the only difference is they have a powerful lobby in washington and the people whose homes were foreclosed got squat.

Companies that make bad decisions are supposed to fail. It's called the free market. You didn't see the government bailing out AMC because they made too many goofy cars that no one would buy (obviously jeeps would be an exception... loved my AMC made grand wagoneer!) or coke when they lost a ton of money with new coke. Why bail out these sleazeballs?

Now thanks to big government, we're bailing out folks who simply should have done the math in the first place (Yeah, I realize that comment will rub a lot of folks the wrong way.)

I know we've agreed to bail out some mortgage companies, but have they actually passed a bill to bail out homeowners who were foreclosed upon? I know there was a lot of talk about it. Anyway you slice it the responsible person who bought a house they could afford and pays their taxes (i.e. me) is getting screwed here.

As for Palin... her 17 yr old daughter getting knocked up sounds like a teenager crying for some attention that she wasn't getting at home. I feel bad for the girl because her teen pregnancy, which has to be hard enough to deal with, is national news. I hope she is marrying the baby's father for the right reasons and not because it's the politically expedient thing to do for her mom. Getting married at 17 has to be rough and the odds of it lasting have to be pretty low. And the family saying how proud of her they are is ridiculous! If my kids get anyone pregnant before they are out of college, pride would be the last thing I felt!

I guess not believing in birth control is one thing when you are a financially secure, politically well connected family. The kid will have a lot of help and support with her baby. I think it's unfair and obnoxiously naive and arrogant to tout her as a role model for teenagers everywhere, especially for poor girls from broken homes who can't afford a baby and don't have any support network to help take care of a baby. A lot of these kids are barely able to take care of themselves (and they have to because their parents don't.) Birth control is good. Go to any place where there is a large amount of poverty and check out the housing projects and the trailer parks and then tell me you think abstinence only education is the best thing for those teenagers! All that does is perpetuate the cycle and the ones who suffer are the children born into poverty.

cjw94xk
09-03-2008, 11:16 PM
Regardless of the drama surrounding her.... Incredible speech. Never saw that coming either. regardless of whether you were a democrat or Republican, you have to have some respect for her.

dan58
09-03-2008, 11:46 PM

If everyone lives within their means, there is no credit problem, no problem with putting meat on the table, and no problem providing for one's family. If people don't do that, they are lying to themselves.

I still have a 26" TV I bought 12 years ago. I combine trips. I got a 30 year fixed mortgage. Personal responsibility is a bitch.

dan58
09-03-2008, 11:49 PM
As for Palin... her 17 yr old daughter getting knocked up sounds like a teenager crying for some attention that she wasn't getting at home. I feel bad for the girl because her teen pregnancy, which has to be hard enough to deal with, is national news. I hope she is marrying the baby's father for the right reasons and not because it's the politically expedient thing to do for her mom. Getting married at 17 has to be rough and the odds of it lasting have to be pretty low. And the family saying how proud of her they are is ridiculous! If my kids get anyone pregnant before they are out of college, pride would be the last thing I felt!

I guess not believing in birth control is one thing when you are a financially secure, politically well connected family. The kid will have a lot of help and support with her baby. I think it's unfair and obnoxiously naive and arrogant to tout her as a role model for teenagers everywhere, especially for poor girls from broken homes who can't afford a baby and don't have any support network to help take care of a baby. A lot of these kids are barely able to take care of themselves (and they have to because their parents don't.) Birth control is good. Go to any place where there is a large amount of poverty and check out the housing projects and the trailer parks and then tell me you think abstinence only education is the best thing for those teenagers! All that does is perpetuate the cycle and the ones who suffer are the children born into poverty.

Maybe the condom broke? Maybe she was on the pill? No need to jump to conclusions.
Who touted the daughter as a role model?

Jimbo
09-04-2008, 12:27 AM
Maybe the condom broke? Maybe she was on the pill? No need to jump to conclusions.
Who touted the daughter as a role model?

Fair points! I sort of assumed she didn't use any form of birth control more than the rhythm method. But, if she was on the pill her mom didn't condone it because she thinks abstinence is the only acceptable form of birth control, which I guess is an okay viewpoint if you actually abstain.

Alot of people on the far right are touting her as a role model because she isn't having an abortion and she is marrying the father. Not that those are bad things by any means, but trying to put a positive spin on a teen pregnancy in the national media is sending a horrible message to teenage girls everywhere who are seeing her in the spotlight getting lots of positive attention at the GOP convention.

I think it's a family matter and should stay a private family matter. In fact, that's the argument they will pull out if anyone tries to say anything negative about her.

Having her seated next to her boyfriend (who was all dressed up in his sunday best) and looking like a happy couple on national TV is not keeping it a private matter and it really makes teen pregnancy look acceptable and clean and nice. Talk to a teacher in an urban school district and see what they have to say about the pregnant teenagers in their classes. Babies having babies is a bad idea and it should be discouraged, not sanitized and put on a pedestal.

Deadman 94 xj
09-04-2008, 12:49 AM
She said, "all families have there ups and downs, mine is no different."

Anyone with half sense would assume she was talking about her daughter. I highly doubt she was referring to her child with Down Syndrome.
I agree that the Boyfriend had no business being there but given the fact that their marrage has already been announced, I think her advisors made the right choice. How many knocked up seventeen yr olds that you know of have the same plans? It can be assumed that she is being forced in to it, but given the family values and moral life style that they portray, I highly doubt it.

I liked her speech. I can't wait for the "real" debates to begin.:079:

Edit: As far as putting a "spin" on the election, NOBama has already stated that he will not go after her daughter. He said it should remain private. And it should.

BigDukeSix
09-04-2008, 06:25 AM
If everyone lives within their means, there is no credit problem, no problem with putting meat on the table, and no problem providing for one's family. If people don't do that, they are lying to themselves.

I still have a 26" TV I bought 12 years ago. I combine trips. I got a 30 year fixed mortgage. Personal responsibility is a bitch.

Talk about not jumping to conclusions!! Is it a foregone conclusion that all people who bite on the hook for adjustable rate mortgages are living outside thier means or just plain stupid??? Please, give me a break. What world do you live in that no one relies on credit to improve their lives? It must be a greatplace where you can be so smug that you can look down your nose at thousands of people who lost their ass because thier not as responsible as you are.

gonecheenin
09-04-2008, 07:10 AM
Talk about not jumping to conclusions!! Is it a foregone conclusion that all people who bite on the hook for adjustable rate mortgages are living outside thier means or just plain stupid??? Please, give me a break. What world do you live in that no one relies on credit to improve their lives? It must be a greatplace where you can be so smug that you can look down your nose at thousands of people who lost their ass because thier not as responsible as you are.

Umm, he never said that you can't live within' your means & utilize credit at the same time

But yes, you have to be VERY smart about it to use it without being bit in the ass, some people just aren't that smart - but that should be their problem, not the rest of the worlds

This world worries WAY too much about protecting stupid people from themselves - I say let natural selection play out accordingly.

dan58
09-04-2008, 08:01 AM
Alot of people on the far right are touting her as a role model because she isn't having an abortion and she is marrying the father.<snip> Babies having babies is a bad idea and it should be discouraged, not sanitized and put on a pedestal.

The reason they are parading him around is because the left wing blogs who blatantly made up the whole conspiracy thing about the daughter being the mother of the downs child. It's a rebuttal.

Umm, he never said that you can't live within' your means & utilize credit at the same time

But yes, you have to be VERY smart about it to use it without being bit in the ass, some people just aren't that smart - but that should be their problem, not the rest of the worlds

This world worries WAY too much about protecting stupid people from themselves - I say let natural selection play out accordingly.

That's right, Jay. Thanks. Carrying some manageable credit is good. It proves you can pay your bills (and results in a higher credit rating). A good credit rating will get you better interest rates, sometimes several points.

I did NOT say it was dumb to have ARMs. Knowing what you get yourself into and be willing to accept all possibilities is called personal responsibility. No matter how it's sliced, you have to pay for your home.

Western PA is not indicitave of the rest of the county. ARMS had their place. I was living in Baltimore when the big houseing bubble grew. Homes literally gained $10K in value week to week. People took ARMs and made a fortune with them in a year. They knew the risks, took them, and benefited. Others did not benefit.

OverkillZJ
09-04-2008, 10:39 AM

That's what it comes down to, I'm sick of those who make the right decisions bailing out those who don't.

Folks have forgotten they should be self reliant and responsible as possible. People seem to feel they should always have something to fall back on, and it's dragging everyone down.

MemorEsto
09-04-2008, 10:44 AM
That's what it comes down to, I'm sick of those who make the right decisions bailing out those who don't.

Folks have forgotten they should be self reliant and responsible as possible. People seem to feel they should always have something to fall back on, and it's dragging everyone down.
THIS is why i'm a big fan of privatizing Social Security...... I hate watching the druggies squander MY money away, knowing full well that money should be there for when I retire. NOT that i'm counting on getting any help at the retirement age... that's why I try and pad my 401K as much as possible...but even that has been losing money lately.

OverkillZJ
09-04-2008, 10:45 AM
Companies that make bad decisions are supposed to fail. It's called the free market. You didn't see the government bailing out AMC because they made too many goofy cars that no one would buy (obviously jeeps would be an exception... loved my AMC made grand wagoneer!) or coke when they lost a ton of money with new coke. Why bail out these sleazeballs?

I know we've agreed to bail out some mortgage companies, but have they actually passed a bill to bail out homeowners who were foreclosed upon? I know there was a lot of talk about it. Anyway you slice it the responsible person who bought a house they could afford and pays their taxes (i.e. me) is getting screwed here.

I agree to your overall point. That's what I was saying; I should not have said that the mortgage companies did their job perfect, but it is the mortgage companies job to sell mortgages, it's what they do. I agree they set the bar wrong, but if you're buying a subprime mortgage, you need to realize that rate may not always hold; it's just simple financing.

As for Palin... her 17 yr old daughter getting knocked up sounds like a teenager crying for some attention that she wasn't getting at home.

- you make some huge assumptions, as you or I don't know anythign the media hasn't fed the sheeple.

First off I don't understand why it's such a huge deal. I don't know about you, but when I was that age I did some SERIOUSLY stupid things (and considering I was lucky, I don't regret them ;) -- but fact is many are sexually active at 17, that doesn't mean she wasn't on birth control, and she wasn't being careful.

Momma Palin is running here, not prego Palin. Besides, they're handling it rather well.

OverkillZJ
09-04-2008, 10:47 AM

Take a step back and have a breath man, no one's talking down on anyone, but folks have different views. Doesn't mean you need to get insulted when someone disagrees with you :056:

BigDukeSix
09-04-2008, 03:25 PM
I believe that people should be held accountable for thier decisions. No doubt. But I also find it interesting that so many are so callous about others losing everything. I saw alot of my friends familes lose everything when the steel mills went under. Go ride through Braddock or Rankin if you dont believe me. I know that case is apples and oranges compared to what is happening now, but I still sympathize with familes who have taken a hit recently. Not people who have used ARMs to make money by flipping properties, but real people who may have seen it as a way to imrove their lives or childrens lives and lost on the gamble.
And it is good that people have different views and can express them. It is one of the things that makes our contry great.

OverkillZJ
09-04-2008, 03:27 PM
Steel mills going under was not their (the families) fault at all, buying things you can't pay for is. I feel that's an entirely different situation, and one that yes, they absolutely deserved help with. You said yourself that it's apples to oranges :)

2002wranglerX
09-04-2008, 03:31 PM
I sort of assumed

AND..... Right there i'm done reading

Adjustable Rate Mortgages aren't exactly a new super secret selling point. it's a risk that you take. you ABSOLUTELY KNOW that your rates are going to go up after X many years. People took that risk, they lost out.

When i invest 50,000 in the stock market, if i lose that $ nobody is there to bail me out.

Same thing in my opinion. Calculated risk. only with an ARM, you are told AHEAD OF TIME that your rates will go up in X many years!

I paid like 1 or 2 percent MORE for my fixed rate mortgage. WITH shitty credit.

If i didn't have the means or the credit to do that, then i would be in an apartment. Just because i live in America doesn't mean i HAVE to own my own home.

it's not a matter of responsibility, it's a matter of people being helpless and relying on the gov't to bail them out while they cry about it.

Do i need to post the ant and the grasshopper story again :)

r6cyclegal
09-04-2008, 03:31 PM
The steel mill closing or people losing their job is totally different then people knowing what they make and getting approved for a morgage 2 times that and accepting it. I was approved way over what I could ever afford but didn't go and spend that amount. Also people that take the ARM and don't plan for it to go up are not smart. People need to take some responsibility for spending what they don't have.

Yes people come upon hard times and find themselves in the hole but not all of them are to blame to be there but I think everyone here is talking about the people who spend way more then they make month after month then want the goverment to bail them out.

Backwoods Couple
09-04-2008, 03:51 PM
[quote=Jimbo;120613]Because you are stupid and believe the mortgage company when they tell you that you can refinance in a few years?

The Mortgage companies did their job???? Are you insane? They took bad risks and then acted surprised when poor people with bad credit couldn't afford the mcmansions that the mortgage companies themselves urged them to buy so they defaulted on their loans! Then their lobbyists got the government to bail them out at the taxpayers' expense. The mortgage companies' actions were nothing short of criminal. Don't get me wrong, the people who took loans they couldn't afford were guilty too, but the mortgage companies were just as guilty - the only difference is they have a powerful lobby in washington and the people whose homes were foreclosed got squat.

Actually the mortgage companies did do their jobs... most of them anyway, you will always have a few that mess with the numbers to get that customer the loan. It was the government that made the lenders lower the standards in order to give everyone a "fair chance" at getting a home.. you know the "American Dream". Some politicians care too much about what they think is "right/good" for us, when in actuality they don't have to live our lives or pay our bills. It's our job to make that right decision. Sadly when you THINK you can afford it according to the new standards and you end up not.. you blame the mortgage company for giving you the loan. Perhaps you should point to the government who, by changing the loan standards, let you mortgage a home that you could not afford.

I feel bad for anyone that lost their home to foreclosure. Would not want to be in their shoes, but the blame lies on two shoulders. The consumer and the government.. not the mortgage company. I know many lenders and agents that are not happy that the standards were lowered, they saw it coming.

As far as the steel mills go, Chris would be better versed in that considering his job at the mill in Braddock pays him quite a nice penny. It affords me the opportunity to not work and go to school, support 5 kids comfortably and sure pays him well. But then again, he is not afraid to work his ass off for that nice check.

XJchris98
09-04-2008, 04:06 PM
I feel bad for anyone that lost their home to foreclosure. Would not want to be in their shoes, but the blame lies on two shoulders. The consumer and the government.. not the mortgage company. I know many lenders and agents that are not happy that the standards were lowered, they saw it coming.

My girlfriend works with foreclosures every day. Shes actually one of the negotiators that deal with the poeple who loose their houses and you would not believe the stories that some people have as to why they cant make the payments. Looking at the whole picture, there are probably only a handful of people who loose their houses because they honestly cannot make the payments, wether it be because of a death/sickness/other circumstances. The other group who do loose their house are the ones who bought a house that they know they couldnt afford or people who just went out and bought a brand new BMW and cant afford the house and the new car. These places dont want to send houses to foreclosure...thats the sad part. Infact alot of compaines will do everything they can to KEEP the house from going to foreclosure because it costs them more money to deal with a foreclosed home than it does to try and figure out a payment plan that the home owner can work with. I feel bad for the ones who just honestly cannot make the payments because someone lost their job or got sick/etc. But the truth is, theres alot of people who loose their homes because they are just plain stupid when it comes to dealing with their finances.

But then again, he is not afraid to work his ass off for that nice check.
And thats the way it should be! More people need to have that mentality..and I commend him for doing so.

Alot of people have the attitude that the government 'owes' them something or they should get something handed to them because their on welfare or 'cant find a job'. Theres not a whole lot of people who are making the big bucks today because they sat around and complained about how much they weren't making. I always get a laugh out of the people who compalin about how shitty their $8/hr job at walmart is or the people at mcdonalds that compalin because they have to wipe the ketchup off the counters. These kind of people CHOSE that job...just like the CEO's making, say...80-90k a year CHOSE to go to school and get a degree so they could work their way up to that high paying position. It seems like people always want to make big $$$ without having to put in the time/effort to do so.

YJBeef
09-04-2008, 04:43 PM
just like the CEO's making, say...80-90k a year CHOSE to go to school and get a degree so they could work their way up to that high paying position. It seems like people always want to make big $$$ without having to put in the time/effort to do so.

thats the only thing I disagree with. Not everyone can just afford to go to a good college and get that certain degree and get that position. It usually takes money to make money, which some of us don't.

Anyways..........where is more pics!!??

OverkillZJ
09-04-2008, 04:45 PM
With enough effort, anyone can rise to the top.

YJBeef
09-04-2008, 04:51 PM
and a lucky break......

OverkillZJ
09-04-2008, 04:53 PM
I don't believe in luck.

Harley25
09-04-2008, 04:56 PM
just like the CEO's making, say...80-90k a year CHOSE to go to school and get a degree so they could work their way up to that high paying position.

I hope if you are a CEO you are making way more than 80-90k a year.

thats the only thing I disagree with. Not everyone can just afford to go to a good college and get that certain degree and get that position.

Where there's a will there's a way. There are numerous ways that people can get free money to pay for an education. If someone has the desire to be successful they will do what they need to in order to secure a scholarship or grant for athletics, academics, and/or leadership. The lazy people out there will always be lazy and always complain that someone owes them something, and that will never change.

BigDukeSix
09-04-2008, 04:57 PM
OK!! I just finished reading Charlton Heston's life story, signed my NRA life membership and donated my life savings to the Christian coalition and Repulican party... Whew!!! Now can I play for the team that seems to know everything?

BigDukeSix
09-04-2008, 04:59 PM
Oh, and i ran outside to kick a homeless person while they were down too!

Jpdst29
09-04-2008, 05:01 PM
I don't believe in luck.

x2 on that. nothing is luck, everything happens for a reason. but i do believe in "it is all in who you know"

i know way too many people who have lucrative positions right now because so and so knew them and got them a job. blah blah blah. meanwhile if you are joe blow off the street you dont stand a chance.

i mean...there is nothing really wrong with that. i guess i am just envious. but it sure sucks if you don't know anyone and have to rise to top the old fashioned way. it is a lot harder and takes a hell of lot longer time.

OverkillZJ
09-04-2008, 05:01 PM
OK!! I just finished reading Charlton Heston's life story, signed my NRA life membership and donated my life savings to the Christian coalition and Repulican party... Whew!!! Now can I play for the team that seems to know everything?

I think you really need to read before you post in haste.

Jpdst29
09-04-2008, 05:02 PM

isnt it fun!!!! :042:

Backwoods Couple
09-04-2008, 05:06 PM
i mean...there is nothing really wrong with that. i guess i am just envious. but it sure sucks if you don't know anyone and have to rise to top the old fashioned way. it is a lot harder and takes a hell of lot longer time.

But the bottom line is that you DID rise to the top and you EARNED it and it sure feels a whole lot better when you do it that way. Some people will always be handed good fortune, the bulk of the population will EARN it and truly deserve it. Not sit and wait for a handout. Or blame someone else for them not making it.

YJBeef
09-04-2008, 05:09 PM
If someone has the desire to be successful they will do what they need to in order to secure a scholarship or grant for athletics, academics, and/or leadership.

that's only useful if you're in high school or coming out of.

x2 on that. nothing is luck, everything happens for a reason. but i do believe in "it is all in who you know"

which in turn, Is luck to some!!

i know way too many people who have lucrative positions right now because so and so knew them and got them a job. blah blah blah. meanwhile if you are joe blow off the street you dont stand a chance.

I think thats what I was trying to say. Way too many people I know are "successful" due to others than it is themselves working for it.

Backwoods Couple
09-04-2008, 05:15 PM

I happen to not belong to any of those organizations, (although I love my guns and my right to own them) but I also think that everyone has to be accountable for themselves. I don't blame anyone but myself for any misfortunes in my life. I once lost my house before I met Chris.. why? Because I overextended MYSELF. I did not cry to anyone that they did it to me. I did it to myself and pulled MYSELF back up again.

It's not about your party.. it's about being accountable for your own actions.

BigDukeSix
09-04-2008, 05:17 PM
I think you really need to read before you post in haste.

I wouldn't be me if I did that. it is a fault that has plagued me my whole life.
Plus, I didnt go to college, my online degree is in witless shitty sarcasm 101.

dan58
09-04-2008, 05:18 PM
It's funny how those who work their tail off are magically "luckier" than those who didn't work hard, huh?

Anyone can graduate from HS. Anyone can go to college through student loans and working their way through school. I've also found that working hard opens doors to knowing the people who do the hiring too.

OverkillZJ
09-04-2008, 05:24 PM
I wouldn't be me if I did that. it is a fault that has plagued me my whole life.
Plus, I didnt go to college, my online degree is in witless shitty sarcasm 101.

:082:

I dropped out of college, I feel it's useless for my situation, at least at this point in my life.

I usually edit my posts 6 times before clicking send, and they get progressively nicer :nod:

YJBeef
09-04-2008, 05:25 PM
Must be nice to live in the perfect little world that some come from:017:

Jpdst29
But the bottom line is that you DID rise to the top and you EARNED it and it sure feels a whole lot better when you do it that way. Some people will always be handed good fortune, the bulk of the population will EARN it and truly deserve it. Not sit and wait for a handout. Or blame someone else for them not making it.

True. But it still sucks when someone gets shit handed to them.

Bill
I've also found that working hard opens doors to knowing the people who do the hiring too.

I would agree with that. You can know all the "right" people, but if your reputation is that of a slacker it isn't going to help that much. On the other hand, if you are seen as a worker and an asset your reputation and work ethic coupled with knowing the right people can go far.

OverkillZJ
09-04-2008, 05:26 PM
Haha, I'm living proof of that.. A few of you know the story of my first good job... I DID get it because I knew the right people. Shortly after I was fired.

Let's say my work mentality has changed a lot since then...

Bill
09-04-2008, 05:28 PM

I wouldn't say it sucks... You sound envious or even jealous. It is what it is. If you want something set your goals and achieve it. If someone in your life can provide assistance in obtaining that goal so be it, if not you just have to work a little harder for it.

Jpdst29
09-04-2008, 05:30 PM
It's funny how those who work their tail off are magically "luckier" than those who didn't work hard, huh?

Nobody said that. I work my ass off and there are guys ahead of me in ranks that slack off all the time, get paid more, get more time off and get more handouts.

So according to you since i work harder i am "luckier" than them. I think not.

Jpdst29
09-04-2008, 05:33 PM
I wouldn't say it sucks... You sound envious or even jealous. It is what it is. If you want something set your goals and achieve it. If someone in your life can provide assistance in obtaining that goal so be it, if not you just have to work a little harder for it.

Well. I did already state that i was envious so that is an obvious. I do set my goals and achieve them. But it takes a lot longer to do it that way than someone just handing it to you.

At this point in my life, i am tired of killing myself everyday and not seeing anything for it, and having guys skate their way up the ladder.

Backwoods Couple
09-04-2008, 05:35 PM

When I met Chris he was making $10 an hour turning wrenches. He never once looked at someone else and said oh that sucks, they have more than me... he always said good for them.. someday maybe me. Now he is making 6 figures a year and did not golf with the bosses to do so. He works like a dog and is rarely home. But it's the price he has to pay. He did get the job because someone put in a good word for him. But it took only a year for them to see what an asset he was.. he jumped up in pay $50,000 a year from showing them his willingness to work hard and the knowledge he brought. Yet there are people there working in the same area as him who complain about putting in only 40 hours and you can find them sleeping somewhere in the mill.

There is the difference.. work hard and good things happen.

Backwoods Couple
09-04-2008, 05:51 PM
At this point in my life, i am tired of killing myself everyday and not seeing anything for it, and having guys skate their way up the ladder.

U.S. Steel is hiring Jerome. Do you want Chris to put in a good word for you?

Bird_Flu
09-04-2008, 05:52 PM
There is the difference.. work hard and good things happen.

x11,000,000,000

OverkillZJ
09-04-2008, 05:52 PM
Jerome, where are you killing yourself? It's not worth slaving away in front of an audience that can't or won't let you climb higher. You need to try and position yourself in front of the right crowd, and network out from there.

Jpdst29
09-04-2008, 06:00 PM
Jerome, where are you killing yourself? It's not worth slaving away in front of an audience that can't or won't let you climb higher. You need to try and position yourself in front of the right crowd, and network out from there.

PennDOT. And I agree with you Matt. I really need to get my ass back into school full time and finish my degree. And get a rewarding career in a field i enjoy with a company that will let me climb the corporate ladder. And be rewarded for hard work.

XJchris98
09-04-2008, 06:01 PM
I hope if you are a CEO you are making way more than 80-90k a year.

haha, probably...I kinda just picked some numbers. I have no idea what even a crappy CEO gets paid now a days.

Where there's a will there's a way. There are numerous ways that people can get free money to pay for an education. If someone has the desire to be successful they will do what they need to in order to secure a scholarship or grant for athletics, academics, and/or leadership. The lazy people out there will always be lazy and always complain that someone owes them something, and that will never change.

X2. Its the people that 'think' they cant...so they dont even bother. These are typically the same people who turn around and complain because there stuck in their shitty job the rest of their life.

Jpdst29
09-04-2008, 06:04 PM
U.S. Steel is hiring Jerome. Do you want Chris to put in a good word for you?

Does he know me well enough to put in a "good word"? haha. :043:

DMG
09-04-2008, 06:10 PM

Wash your foot.

DMG
09-04-2008, 06:14 PM

True.
Not that I am a great example, but I am going to college part time after work using student loans. It is easy to get loans and in some cases grants.

Deadman 94 xj
09-04-2008, 06:18 PM
I don't understand the "it's who you know" argument. Are you talking about union jobs, city? Depending on anyone to get you to where you want to be is just plain bad. You'll never have control of your future and you'll always be at the mercy of "who you know".

Can somebody please explain this to me?

Luck? Success and luck have ZERO association. Anyone who claims luck as there missfortune is accepting defeat and to scared to move outside the box and claim what it is they feel that they deserve. You have to work to get what you want.

School in todays job market is the way to go. It's not easy but you do adapt to it rather quickly if you make the right steps. Anyone can go to school.

YJBeef
09-04-2008, 06:30 PM
I meant luck as in 2 people working the same effort but one knows this person to help out and the other gets shit on.........well he's lucky to get that break....

not hard to understand??

Backwoods Couple
09-04-2008, 06:32 PM
I meant luck as in 2 people working the same effort but one knows this person to help out and the other gets shit on.........well he's lucky to get that break....

not hard to understand??

Like affirmative action?

Deadman 94 xj
09-04-2008, 07:23 PM

not hard to understand??

Help out in what way? To move him up on the pay scale? If that's the case than superiors are to blame for not doing their job. This happens all the time but I wouldn't let this be the deciding factor in my future. There are too many strategic games to be played to over come such diversity. You have to have something under your belt though, such as a degree or a real skill.

dan58
09-04-2008, 07:36 PM
I don't understand the "it's who you know" argument. Are you talking about union jobs, city? Depending on anyone to get you to where you want to be is just plain bad. You'll never have control of your future and you'll always be at the mercy of "who you know".

Can somebody please explain this to me?

Knowing someone can be as simple as 1. finding out when a job is open. 2. It can be that someone put your resume in the right hands. 3. It can be that your dad's buddy hires you regardless of merit. Take your pick.

In case #1 or #2, how would you "owe" someone?

Traveler
09-04-2008, 07:44 PM
Like it or not she's an interesting choice. Sold the jet, stopped the bridge to nowhere. She's working on some "change" in Alaska not just talking about it. Hubby is an Independent and Union member.

And the daughter pregnant at 17. Come-on. Who was not getting busy by then? They just didn't practice well. Kids are kids. My wife is 16yrs younger than my mother in law. (that's 16 for those math challanged) Maybe times were different back then in the 60's though.

Does anyone think it matters who wins? There is no way to invoke change while the Pres - Senate/Congress are opposing parties.

I say invest in the US and screw the rest of the world. Neither party will do that.

Rant off.

OverkillZJ
09-04-2008, 07:46 PM
Does anyone think it matters who wins? There is no way to invoke change while the Pres - Senate/Congress are opposing parties.

I hear that comment a lot, and have yet to see anything to back it.

I feel it matters a great deal.

Deadman 94 xj
09-04-2008, 08:00 PM
Knowing someone can be as simple as 1. finding out when a job is open. 2. It can be that someone put your resume in the right hands. 3. It can be that your dad's buddy hires you regardless of merit. Take your pick.

In case #1 or #2, how would you "owe" someone?

I wasn't trying to be an ass. I really did want to "understand". I get 1 and 2 and you wouldn't owe anyone for that. I was just stating that if you were able to put your self in a marketable position than you might be better off. I've taken union tests and fireman tests before to find that somebody with a better last name got the job. Thats why I said the hell with the system and went to school.

Why do they take your picture when entering a hall to take a union test?

EddyB
09-04-2008, 08:06 PM
Why do they take your picture when entering a hall to take a union test?

Didn't have my pic taken till I was in my apprenticeship. My guess would be that it is to put a face to the name in case you stood out in the interview.

YJBeef
09-04-2008, 08:13 PM
Deadman XJ, I hear what your saying, I just get pissed off when someone that has no skill or anything gets a better job over you because of who they are. Not saying I'm giving up cause of that, just irritated!

Jpdst29
09-04-2008, 08:46 PM
Deadman XJ, I hear what your saying, I just get pissed off when someone that has no skill or anything gets a better job over you because of who they are. Not saying I'm giving up cause of that, just irritated!

x100000000000000

I would never give up over that either. It would actually make me push harder and try to make myself noticed. But in my line of work it is hard to get noticed unfortunately.

And to be perfectly honest. More power to those "qualified" people who land an awesome job due to knowing someone. I sure wouldn't turn down a job if someone i knew presented one to me. So why should i be mad. But when the unqualified ones get a chance over someone who might have experience due to "who they know". That makes me frustrated.

Deadman 94 xj
09-04-2008, 08:54 PM
Didn't have my pic taken till I was in my apprenticeship. My guess would be that it is to put a face to the name in case you stood out in the interview.

My guess would be affirmative action. I had it taken before the test.

I hear you loud and clear. I get irritated when some college smuck kid lands a job with higher pay than somebody with 10 yrs of experience. It is what it is though.

As far as the school thing, I was 25 when I finally decided to go. It wasn't an easy choice given the obvious time involved. I had zero money and sometimes didn't even have a car to get to and from work.
It was all paid for by student loans and financial aid. Loans are easy to get regardless of credit history. You just have to research what field you're going into so that you know you'll be able to pay them off.
I don't know how old you are or if you're even thinking about it, but there were students in their 40's and 50's in my classes.

BigDukeSix
09-04-2008, 09:00 PM

I've seen that play out a hundred times where I work. And always the rank and file suffer until they are exposed and fail and another crony takes over.

2002wranglerX
09-04-2008, 09:08 PM
thats the only thing I disagree with. Not everyone can just afford to go to a good college and get that certain degree and get that position. It usually takes money to make money, which some of us don't.

Anyways..........where is more pics!!??

uh ya, my uncle owns a multi-million dollar company and he went to 2 years of college over 7 years (working and going to school). Pittsburgh public pays for their kids to go to college FOR FREE!!!!

don't feed me that bullshit.

YJBeef
09-04-2008, 09:20 PM
uh ya, my uncle owns a multi-million dollar company and he went to 2 years of college over 7 years (working and going to school). Pittsburgh public pays for their kids to go to college FOR FREE!!!!

don't feed me that bullshit.

Actually Ryan, it isn't bullshit I'm feeding. When I was getting out of high school, The financial aid was bullshit. I tried to get it and they wouldn't help at all cause the "household" made too much eventhough my parents weren't paying a single dime for any of it. The FA told me until I was 23 or so, they couldn't help. So don't give me your "bullshit"

2002wranglerX
09-04-2008, 09:24 PM
Actually Ryan, it isn't bullshit I'm feeding. When I was getting out of high school, The financial aid was bullshit. I tried to get it and they wouldn't help at all cause the "household" made too much eventhough my parents weren't paying a single dime for any of it. The FA told me until I was 23 or so, they couldn't help. So don't give me your "bullshit"

I didn't recieve any financial aid. That's what student loans are for.

sorry to hear your family wouldn't or couldn't help you.

Regardless of your situation, with enough testicular fortitude you can do anything in this country!

My uncle doesn't come from money, neither does my step father. They worked their asses off for what they have. They are at the company before the sun is up and come home after it's dark. EVERY DAY.

but you're right, they must not deserve what they've earned.

What is BULLSHIT is you implying that everyone successful comes from $. and that's pure bullshit.

2002wranglerX
09-04-2008, 09:35 PM
i'm not trying to be a dick, i just get frustrated hearing people say they can't do it when others have.

i know it's tough man, i'm not trying to insult you. If you ever need an in with the county give me a call.

YJBeef
09-04-2008, 09:47 PM
What is BULLSHIT is you implying that everyone successful comes from $. and that's pure bullshit.
I didn't say everyone, thats why I said "Usually"

my whole thing isn't with successful people, just those who don't work for it. I understand there are people who work there asses off for it and they DO deserve it. I'm not trying to take away from those who do at all. And actually I am starting to finally get some shit back together and get back to school now that it's a little easier with the loans.

Deadman 94 xj
09-04-2008, 10:01 PM
My goal is to make enough money so I can drive through the ghetto and laugh at them.

I'm not there yet lol.

Bill
09-04-2008, 10:14 PM
My goal is to make enough money so I can drive through the ghetto and laugh at them.

I'm not there yet lol.

I don't care how much money you are making that just isn't a smart move...

Jpdst29
09-04-2008, 10:16 PM
I blame my guidance counselor in high school for not giving me the details i needed to know about finance aid, etc. Hence I had to use my savings from landscaping all throughout high school to pay for my first year of college.

I mean, I was a naive teenager. I thought that is what the guidance counselors were for. And my mom didnt go to college so she had no clue what to do.

Oh well. You live and you learn i guess.

Deadman 94 xj
09-04-2008, 10:19 PM
I don't care how much money you are making that just isn't a smart move...

LOL...
I'm making as much as them. I still have a little over a year left of school. But when it's all said nd done I'm driving through there and laughing at all them bastards that sit at home all day complaining about how hard they have it.

Then I'll get shot and die :fsniper: :081:

YJBeef
09-04-2008, 10:19 PM

The most important thing in life!!

Harley25
09-04-2008, 10:29 PM
I blame my guidance counselor in high school for not giving me the details i needed to know about finance aid, etc. Hence I had to use my savings from landscaping all throughout high school to pay for my first year of college.

I mean, I was a naive teenager. I thought that is what the guidance counselors were for. And my mom didnt go to college so she had no clue what to do.

I don't think that's a fair statement...most colleges provide free seminars for parents and prospective students regarding the types of financial aid and loans that are available. No one in my family had gone to college prior to me and I only ended up paying about $5,000 total for my first three and a half years of school and my big bill came from taking loans out to go to grad school.

Jpdst29
09-04-2008, 10:53 PM
Yeah. I guess that is a little unfair of a statement.

If only I could go back and do it all over again...

Deadman 94 xj
09-04-2008, 10:54 PM

The first hundred years are the hardest.

You can get FA if you live on your own no matter what. As long as you don’t make too much. It's not a lot but it helps.

I didn’t even graduate high school. I hung with the wrong crowd and ended up getting kicked out because I didn’t make the grade. There’s more to it but I kind of got the short end of the stick, so to speak.
After wards I earned my GED and went to Connolley Tech for Electrical Occupations. I worked for two years then my tranny went on my car. I couldn’t make it to the job sites so I moved back home and got a job flipping pizzas so I could afford a new set of wheels.
At this point I decided that I didn’t want to crawl around in other peoples attics for $9 an hr anymore so I went to the military.
I wanted to go into something electrical related but they told me I was color blind. Ha!! They stuck me in some damn logistics admin crap. I still wanted to go so I went. I ended up going to Korea and ran a Postal ops department and loved it.
After I finished I enrolled at CCAC and did a hell of a lot better than I though I would. I was never the “college type” and given the fact the I didn’t do so hot in HS I wasn’t sure about going to college. A few brick walls later I went. I graduated with honors and got a partial scholarship to Duquesne University.
That’s where I’m at at the moment. It’s not easy. I work 5 nights a week and a shift on Saturday. I make next to nothing and have to watch every one else my age (that were smart enough to go after high school) buy houses and have kids and stuff like that.
On the up side, my major is Supply Chain Management and Information Systems Management. Students are graduating with job offers around $70K!! Hell, I’d be happy with $40K
Now I get to sit and watch the intrest build on the loans but I figure a good budget for about 2 years after school and I should have them paid off.
It can be done. School work is the easy part.

TimMichaels
09-04-2008, 11:21 PM
For what it's worth, getting money for school isn't always that easy. My parents couldn't get jack from the government to pay for my tuition etc because they said my old man makes too much, and I'm the third kid he's put through college and grad schools. It sucks but oh well. Luckily I was able to chip in a bit with some academic scholarships and the like. But I can vouch that aide is not always there.

Deadman 94 xj
09-04-2008, 11:37 PM
For what it's worth, getting money for school isn't always that easy. My parents couldn't get jack from the government to pay for my tuition etc because they said my old man makes too much, and I'm the third kid he's put through college and grad schools. It sucks but oh well. Luckily I was able to chip in a bit with some academic scholarships and the like. But I can vouch that aide is not always there.

That's why it's "financial aid". People that make enough to put their kids through school don't get it.

OverkillZJ
09-04-2008, 11:50 PM
I hear a whole lot of bitching, and no "here's what I'm going to do about it now."

:overkill:

Ronin152
09-04-2008, 11:52 PM
The first hundred years are the hardest.

You can get FA if you live on your own no matter what. As long as you don’t make too much. It's not a lot but it helps.

I didn’t even graduate high school. I hung with the wrong crowd and ended up getting kicked out because I didn’t make the grade. There’s more to it but I kind of got the short end of the stick, so to speak.
After wards I earned my GED and went to Connolley Tech for Electrical Occupations. I worked for two years then my tranny went on my car. I couldn’t make it to the job sites so I moved back home and got a job flipping pizzas so I could afford a new set of wheels.
At this point I decided that I didn’t want to crawl around in other peoples attics for $9 an hr anymore so I went to the military.
I wanted to go into something electrical related but they told me I was color blind. Ha!! They stuck me in some damn logistics admin crap. I still wanted to go so I went. I ended up going to Korea and ran a Postal ops department and loved it.
After I finished I enrolled at CCAC and did a hell of a lot better than I though I would. I was never the “college type” and given the fact the I didn’t do so hot in HS I wasn’t sure about going to college. A few brick walls later I went. I graduated with honors and got a partial scholarship to Duquesne University.
That’s where I’m at at the moment. It’s not easy. I work 5 nights a week and a shift on Saturday. I make next to nothing and have to watch every one else my age (that were smart enough to go after high school) buy houses and have kids and stuff like that.
On the up side, my major is Supply Chain Management and Information Systems Management. Students are graduating with job offers around $70K!! Hell, I’d be happy with $40K
Now I get to sit and watch the intrest build on the loans but I figure a good budget for about 2 years after school and I should have them paid off.
It can be done. School work is the easy part.
Hey man I go to Duq too. What grade are you in? Do you drive that lift xj or yj?

Deadman 94 xj
09-05-2008, 12:08 AM
Hey man I go to Duq too. What grade are you in? Do you drive that lift xj or yj?

Ha, the xj. It's green with the gray painted crap on it lol.

I guess I'm a junior. It's complicated because I'm a transfer.
How about you? What's your major if you don't mind me asking?

Ronin152
09-05-2008, 12:30 AM
I am a Junior also. I proably have class with you and don't know it? I am a business law major. Is your jeep really nice and clean with polished aluminum wheels? Or do you have a rough country sticker on it? MWF Global Econ, Intro Finance, Intro Marketing 1, TTH Business and Professional Communication, Intro to Management. You in any of those? Is your jeep's backseat not bolted on and you have a empty case of like beast in the cargo area?

Deadman 94 xj
09-05-2008, 12:48 AM
I am a Junior also. I proably have class with you and don't know it? I am a business law major. Is your jeep really nice and clean with polished aluminum wheels? Or do you have a rough country sticker on it? MWF Global Econ, Intro Finance, Intro Marketing 1, TTH Business and Professional Communication, Intro to Management. You in any of those? Is your jeep's backseat not bolted on and you have a empty case of like beast in the cargo area?

No, mine is blueish green with gray bushwackers and rails. Clayton long arms and 33" BFGs. I usually park at the meters either on 5th or forbes.

I do have the TR Business and Proff class. Mines from 1:40 to 3?.

TimMichaels
09-05-2008, 12:49 AM
That's why it's "financial aid". People that make enough to put their kids through school don't get it.

Hey thanks, glad you cleared that up for me in the snottiest way possible. No one ever said it's easy for my folks financially either. My dad's supported no less than two college students at the same time for 7 consecutive years. Not exactly cheap, and we're not exactly rich. You can keep your attitude to yourself though.

Oh well, guess that's what I get for posting anything in the powder keg of forum topics. :s-bluecap:

Deadman 94 xj
09-05-2008, 12:54 AM
Hey thanks, glad you cleared that up for me in the snottiest way possible. No one ever said it's easy for my folks financially either. My dad's supported no less than two college students at the same time for 7 consecutive years. Not exactly cheap, and we're not exactly rich. You can keep your attitude to yourself though.

Oh well, guess that's what I get for posting anything in the powder keg of forum topics. :s-bluecap:

Wow, read it how you want. Go back to you adventures.
I never said they had cash and you didn't say whether or not they did. I assumed they did, nothing wrong with that. A little defensive are we?

Either way, I'm not going to get into a pissing match.

Ronin152
09-05-2008, 01:03 AM
Ah yeah I think I have seen you around. There are actually like 3-4 lifted jeeps at Duq. Whos you teacher for Business Com? I am in an earlier class.

Deadman 94 xj
09-05-2008, 01:15 AM
Ah yeah I think I have seen you around. There are actually like 3-4 lifted jeeps at Duq. Whos you teacher for Business Com? I am in an earlier class.

I'll have to keep my eye open. I think I've seen the yj.

Sarah Malcolm. Im taking Stats, Systems Architecture, Management, and Systems Analysis.
I think there's more work in the comm class though. I hate presentations lol.

What managment class are you in, I missed that one. I'm in the MWF 8am.

TimMichaels
09-05-2008, 01:37 AM
Wow, read it how you want. Go back to you adventures.
I never said they had cash and you didn't say whether or not they did. I assumed they did, nothing wrong with that. A little defensive are we?

Either way, I'm not going to get into a pissing match.

I am typically defensive when someone takes a clear shot at me. And probably again with your "adventures" crack. But that's ok, I enjoy them.

Deadman 94 xj
09-05-2008, 02:50 AM
I am typically defensive when someone takes a clear shot at me. And probably again with your "adventures" crack. But that's ok, I enjoy them.

Grow thicker skin dude. :064:

Jpdst29
09-05-2008, 08:13 AM
It is kind of odd that just because a families income is over the limit the financial aid companies just "assume" that the family is going to pay for the kids college education.

I know quite a few kids whose parents are fairly wealthy and they wanted to teach their kids self responsibility so they made it clear that the kid had to figure out his own way through school. But since the parents made so much, the kids couldnt get any financial aid or very little at that.

It is just confusing to me. Just because someone "has" money doesnt mean that they are obligated to spend it on things and get refused aid. I mean, the parents more than likely worked really hard throughout their lives in order to have what they have and save the money they have.

Oh man. Here i go with my bitching again. haha. sorry.

MemorEsto
09-05-2008, 08:22 AM
What has my poor thread about a VPILF turned into !?!?!?!?
http://home.comcast.net/~jdr01930/CarSite/McPalin.jpg

DMG
09-05-2008, 08:50 AM

You could still get loans.

Mel85CJ
09-05-2008, 09:46 AM
I don't think that's a fair statement...most colleges provide free seminars for parents and prospective students regarding the types of financial aid and loans that are available. No one in my family had gone to college prior to me and I only ended up paying about $5,000 total for my first three and a half years of school and my big bill came from taking loans out to go to grad school.

Thats pretty impressive considering where you went :)

You comin' to homecoming?

2002wranglerX
09-05-2008, 10:18 AM
I didn't say everyone, thats why I said &quot;Usually&quot;

my whole thing isn't with successful people, just those who don't work for it. I understand there are people who work there asses off for it and they DO deserve it. I'm not trying to take away from those who do at all. And actually I am starting to finally get some shit back together and get back to school now that it's a little easier with the loans.

usually huh? sounds like an excuse to me.

Ronin152
09-05-2008, 11:55 AM
I'll have to keep my eye open. I think I've seen the yj.

Sarah Malcolm. Im taking Stats, Systems Architecture, Management, and Systems Analysis.
I think there's more work in the comm class though. I hate presentations lol.

What managment class are you in, I missed that one. I'm in the MWF 8am.
I am in Matekea. Do you have Gillis for stats? He a pretty funny dude.

BAD_GNR
09-05-2008, 01:51 PM
I went 5 years, two degrees and my first four years were full ride, including room and board. I had 13 grants/scholarships each year until I was considered a "grad student", so I had to pay for the fifth. There's enough aid out there for anyone, you just have to know how to look for it and apply yourself. It also helps if you're smart.

Jpdst29
09-05-2008, 02:07 PM
It also helps if you're smart.

that is my disadvantage. :retard:. lol.

.J u s t i n
09-05-2008, 02:11 PM
that is my disadvantage. :retard:. lol.

x2....jk

I had a 4 year full ride to school but unfortunately got it taken away for some pretty bs reasons so I've been paying out of state tuition ever since....it sucks

Jpdst29
09-05-2008, 02:30 PM
My sister did a smart thing. She moved to Florida for a year and then got her whole 4 years of schooling paid for.

Harley25
09-05-2008, 03:12 PM
Thats pretty impressive considering where you went :)

You comin' to homecoming?

Yeah I'll be at home coming....Are you going to the alumni game the week before?

Deadman 94 xj
09-05-2008, 03:37 PM
I went 5 years, two degrees and my first four years were full ride, including room and board. I had 13 grants/scholarships each year until I was considered a "grad student", so I had to pay for the fifth. There's enough aid out there for anyone, you just have to know how to look for it and apply yourself. It also helps if you're smart.

Did you have to do anything for the aid? Essays and things like that.
Just wondering. I could use a little more help but I'm not sure where to look. All I know of are the contests and AES/FASFA.

BAD_GNR
09-05-2008, 03:50 PM
Just wondering. I could use a little more help but I'm not sure where to look. All I know of are the contests and AES/FASFA.

Yea, I did a few contests and essay type things. I was eligible for a lot of them throu FAFSA. I'd just suggest really looking into what the school offers. I know I picked up a lot from Kent itself, they were just ones that no one knew about. Most schools tend to have a book that has a list of all the scholarships & grants they offer - I signed up for every one that I was eligible for.

There's a lot of weird private & federal ones too. Like I know there's some kind of federal grant for left handed people.

Harley25
09-05-2008, 03:56 PM

Pick up one of these, I'm sure it would be very helpful

http://www.amazon.com/Financial-Aid-Book-Scholarships-Fellowships/dp/1881199010

BigDukeSix
09-05-2008, 04:04 PM
Everybody I found the solution to the collge money thingy...

http://www.goarmy.com/assets/images/benefits/hd/s1_college_loan_repayme.gif
The Army College Loan Repayment Program makes paying off your student loans easier.
http://www.goarmy.com/assets/images/benefits/hd/s2_active_duty_benefit.gif

Up to $65,000 for Soldiers who enlist full time in the Army for three or more years

Deadman 94 xj
09-05-2008, 07:13 PM
Yea, I did a few contests and essay type things. I was eligible for a lot of them throu FAFSA. I'd just suggest really looking into what the school offers. I know I picked up a lot from Kent itself, they were just ones that no one knew about. Most schools tend to have a book that has a list of all the scholarships & grants they offer - I signed up for every one that I was eligible for.

There's a lot of weird private & federal ones too. Like I know there's some kind of federal grant for left handed people.

Pick up one of these, I'm sure it would be very helpful

http://www.amazon.com/Financial-Aid-Book-Scholarships-Fellowships/dp/1881199010

Thanks, I look in to them and the book. I remember that guy on TV that use to scream about all of the possible grants and loans. He wore the suit with the question marks all over it. I never gave it any credit though.

Deadman 94 xj
09-05-2008, 07:16 PM
Everybody I found the solution to the collge money thingy...

http://www.goarmy.com/assets/images/benefits/hd/s1_college_loan_repayme.gif
The Army College Loan Repayment Program makes paying off your student loans easier.
http://www.goarmy.com/assets/images/benefits/hd/s2_active_duty_benefit.gif

Up to $65,000 for Soldiers who enlist full time in the Army for three or more years

Ha! don't tempt me. I've thought about going back for many a sleepless nights lol. Ask my GF how much I drove her nuts lol.