PDA

View Full Version : For all you hunters...

JeepGeneral
09-09-2008, 06:01 PM
I know there are quite a few hunters on the site, and with archery season coming up I wanted to remind everyone to ALWAYS wear your safety harness! Regardless of what you're doing, if you're in the tree strap yourself in.

This morning I fell out of a tree setting up treestand steps. I was about 15 feet up and had nothing below me but the ground. I was alone in the rain and not wearing a harness when a branch I was standing on broke. Now I'm laid up on the couch with a compression fracture in a disk in my spine. I have to see a neuro surgeon Thurdsay to see if surgery is necessary. The pain is the worst thing I've ever experienced, and the feeling of laying on the ground alone in the middle of nowhere was worse.

Hopefully everyone can learn from my mistake and not have to experience how terrible it is. Maybe I can even help save some lives. I've called just about everyone I know and relayed my story as a reminder to ALWAYS STRAP YOURSELF IN!

The same thing applies in your rig. Believe me when I say it sucks!

Wrecker
09-09-2008, 06:26 PM
I hope you the best with a quick recovery. Been by myself when got hurt and it sucks. Just lay there and wonder how bad you are.

Bird_Flu
09-09-2008, 06:33 PM
I hope you have a quick recovery and good luck with everything when you see the Doctor.

DMG
09-09-2008, 06:40 PM
I know there are quite a few hunters on the site, and with archery season coming up I wanted to remind everyone to ALWAYS wear your safety harness! Regardless of what you're doing, if you're in the tree strap yourself in.

This morning I fell out of a tree setting up treestand steps. I was about 15 feet up and had nothing below me but the ground. I was alone in the rain and not wearing a harness when a branch I was standing on broke. Now I'm laid up on the couch with a compression fracture in a disk in my spine. I have to see a neuro surgeon Thurdsay to see if surgery is necessary. The pain is the worst thing I've ever experienced, and the feeling of laying on the ground alone in the middle of nowhere was worse.

Hopefully everyone can learn from my mistake and not have to experience how terrible it is. Maybe I can even help save some lives. I've called just about everyone I know and relayed my story as a reminder to ALWAYS STRAP YOURSELF IN!

The same thing applies in your rig. Believe me when I say it sucks!

Thats awful, Tom. I hope you get better in time to get some hunting in.

MF Steve!
09-09-2008, 06:44 PM
Best of luck at the doc's, Tom. I know how you're feeling...its awful.

Harley25
09-09-2008, 07:04 PM
I hope you feel better soon.

Bill
09-09-2008, 07:42 PM
Damn Tom that sucks! I hope you a quick and painless recovery.

Wrecker
09-09-2008, 07:43 PM
OK so I have been drinkin. Now to give a little PETA humor. That what happens when you hunt Babie's mother. Karma a bitch. I know it hurts when you laugh.

JeepGeneral
09-09-2008, 07:57 PM
OK so I have been drinkin. Now to give a little PETA humor. That what happens when you hunt Babie's mother. Karma a bitch. I know it hurts when you laugh.

Thanks, I could use a laugh :overkill:

I'm already feeling a little better, I'm sure the Vicodin has something to do with it. I am bored out of my mind from sitting around already though. Hopefully its nothing serious and I can look back and laugh about my stupidity.

Backwoods Couple
09-09-2008, 08:00 PM
I hope you the best with a quick recovery. Been by myself when got hurt and it sucks. Just lay there and wonder how bad you are.

First of all... Tom I am real sorry to hear about your accident.. hope you feel better soon.

Wrecker, I dont think that your "hamster" incident constitutes being hurt. ;)

Wrecker
09-09-2008, 08:04 PM
Chris I thought was between friends?

Backwoods Couple
09-09-2008, 08:07 PM
The wife really needs to start signing her name.. gets me in trouble!! I am not in on this one Steve.

CHRIS

Jpdst29
09-09-2008, 08:12 PM
that really stinks man. me and my friends are setting up our shit very soon, and i will remember to keep myself strapped to the tree.

hope you get better soon!!!

Traveler
09-09-2008, 08:12 PM
Tom,

Hope you recover without surgery. Mine was 5 weeks I was out after surgery. Not a good time at all. Good luck.

BigDukeSix
09-09-2008, 08:52 PM
Dude that blows... I was going to make a smart ass witless comment about chalkin' one up for the deer, but seeing as how you are really messed up, I just hope you recover soon and its nothign too serious.

BAD_GNR
09-09-2008, 09:12 PM
Tom, sorry to hear about your back, that sucks. Here's to a full and speedy recovery.:icon_pidu:

If you're really bored out of your mind, check out this website:

http://www.sixsixfive.com

Some of the weirdest things I've ever seen on the net. Make sure you read day one first so it makes sense. Fat goths and personal ads are some of my favorites.

90LiftedYJ
09-09-2008, 11:08 PM
Hope you feel better soon tom. I dont hunt till after thanksgiving but will keep that in mind.

SirFuego
09-09-2008, 11:38 PM
Ouch. Sorry to hear about that, Tom. It sounds like it could have been much worse, though.

Hope you make a speedy recovery!!

BigZees
09-10-2008, 03:15 AM
Wow Tom,

I am sorry to hear you got hurt. Now we know to keep pasta, beer, shellfish, and things you strap to trees away from you!

Just remember you could be this girl...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoOzaUvCEX4

trailblaze
09-10-2008, 08:44 AM
ouch, that sucks!

how did you get out of the woods? how far in were you?

JeepGeneral
09-10-2008, 10:59 AM
Wow Tom,

I am sorry to hear you got hurt. Now we know to keep pasta, beer, shellfish, and things you strap to trees away from you!

Tell me about it, I'm falling apart. It's hell getting old!

JeepGeneral
09-10-2008, 11:02 AM
ouch, that sucks!

how did you get out of the woods? how far in were you?

Luckily I was only about 50 yards away from the Rhino, once I caught my breath and realized I could move I crawled back to it and drove myself back to the house.

I feel a little better today, still sore as hell though. Hopefully the doctor will let me go back to work, I'm bored out of my mind and tired of sitting around.

bigfoot5806
09-10-2008, 11:23 AM
Dang Tom, you are not having much luck with your knees or back lately. Hope you have a good recovery. Need anything let me know.

Adam

JeepSteeler
09-10-2008, 11:35 AM
Good luck healing up. From a guy who has 3 blown discs among other back issues, I know how bad it can be. Your advice is very well put - I've had some close calls over the years and now I always strap in -climber, ladder, whatever.

Hopefully you can still pull back the bow come archery! I just got a new Hoyt Katera XL and I'm geeked.

r6cyclegal
09-10-2008, 05:19 PM
Tom that sucks!!! I hope you are back out chasing tail (deer tail that is) soon!!!

SpruceCreeker
09-10-2008, 10:23 PM
Don't know you Tom, but that sucks that you fell out of the tree. Just to let you know, I archery hunt strictly from the ground. I do not use a blind, just scent lures and scent control. I use trees or bushes to hide in and kill both Buck and Doe every year. My buds from the Burgh have been witness to the ground deal as they were in trees watching,.....they had a hard time believing that you can kill just as easily from the ground. Finding a good set up area is more important than alot of scouting. Good luck with the back and try the ground this year,...."Once you kill from the ground, you always stay down" -Buddy

BigZees
09-11-2008, 02:53 AM
I've been hunting from the ground for over 32 years and have harvested many a deer, in archery and rifle season. I feel sorta confined in a treestand. I like to move around / scout / hunt, movement to contact type hunting. (The times I did hunt out of trees I was always strapped in. I'm gravity impaired.)

92YJCBG
09-11-2008, 09:33 AM
sorry to hear that.

Get better soon and take it easy for awhile.

JeepGeneral
09-11-2008, 04:43 PM
Well the doctor put me in a hard plastic upper body brace for the next 2 months. It sucks but could be worse I guess. I'm not allowed to do anything, except work. Oh well, I'll be spending hunting season in a ground blind videotaping my grandfather.

SirFuego
09-11-2008, 04:52 PM
So I guess that means no Rock Run for you on the 11th. I'll be willing to get in touch with Dan if you want me to take over the planning of the potential trip there.

MF Steve!
09-11-2008, 04:55 PM
Sorry to hear that Tom...now have him write you a letter so you can get a handicapped permit and use a crossbow!

JeepGeneral
09-11-2008, 05:03 PM
I'm not sure about RR yet, it's still a month away so I hope I'll be good to go by then with the brace. I plan to call the doctor in a few days and ask.

I thought about hunting with a crossbow. We have a few ground blinds set up that I can hunt from, it just seems too easy to me. I hope to recover quicker than expected and get back in the tree before the season is over.