PDA

View Full Version : Who will you vote for in 2008 - ANONYMOUS

OverkillZJ
09-16-2008, 02:57 PM
I like the idea of Bill's election thread, but feel that it should be anonymous, and include more candidates. I did my best to include anyone you might actually vote for, but there's more than a few choices: if they're not on the PA ballot, I didn't include them.

Vote, even admins can NOT tell who you voted for.

Of course you can comment / post in here if you care to voice your opinion (we all know I will :106:)

Muzikman
09-16-2008, 03:06 PM
Hmmm, Steve, you have some family running for Pres? :)

Muzikman
09-16-2008, 03:08 PM
Oh, and if anyone here votes for Nader, I'll personally gut you with a dull plastic spork! :)

Harley25
09-16-2008, 03:11 PM
I think Paris Hilton should be a choice!

OverkillZJ
09-16-2008, 03:13 PM
If she actually wrote that funny add about the need for a BALANCED energy solution (not all green, not all drill) - I'd vote for her!

Seismik
09-16-2008, 03:49 PM
I intend to not vote, because once again, I would be chosing the lesser of two evils, and I've come to the conclusion that it doesn't matter which one you choose, we're still ****ed. I will start voting again when I am given an option worth voting for.

OverkillZJ
09-16-2008, 03:53 PM
It is the lesser of several evils, everything in life is. There can be no perfect candidate for everyone, it's impossible. If you feel there is one that isn't running, go write it in, seriously.

The candidates stand for very different things, I'm not sure how you can feel it doesn't matter.

Shodan
09-16-2008, 04:04 PM
You're not voting for just the candidate either. You'll potentially be voting for their Supreme Court nominees for the next four to eight years.

Harley25
09-16-2008, 04:19 PM
Write yourself in if you want, but at least go out and vote.

sb406
09-16-2008, 04:23 PM
Y'all and your swing state!
My vote doesn't even matter.

I really have a big problem with the electoral college. I think that the commmon vote should be counted. We can do it for American Idol, we can do it for an election. The technology exists now (automated phone services, internet, etc) to tally all votes. Also, there should be no media coverage of polling status until all voting is closed, in order to eliminate any voter turnout or bias. I think this could actually put a 3rd party into a competetive spot in a national election and increase voter turnout.

Unfortunately, the ones who benefit from the current system are the ones that have to change it.

OverkillZJ
09-16-2008, 04:30 PM
Agreed!

Muzikman
09-16-2008, 04:31 PM
I am just waiting for Mickey Mouse to actually win the popular vote.

With the power of the Internet, I bet you could get enough write in votes to get him the popular vote. I mean he's already the highest written in vote for years.

Muzikman
09-16-2008, 04:32 PM
Ok, who did it, who put Nader!?!?!?!?!?

BigDukeSix
09-16-2008, 04:35 PM
Matt, I think your last vote on the poll should have said " I am an oblivious, fat, lazy, stupid American citizen who doesn't realize the value of my right to vote and the price paid by others who came before me so I can live my fat stupid lazy wothless life to it's fullest".

OverkillZJ
09-16-2008, 04:41 PM
I'm not touching that, Seismik would kick my ass!

Muzikman
09-16-2008, 04:43 PM
We have the right to vote, but that also gives us the right not to vote.

Muzikman
09-16-2008, 05:01 PM
I like the late great George Carlin's reason for not voting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0u6lCBnRoHQ

BigDukeSix
09-16-2008, 05:07 PM
True... But most of the people I work with who don't vote, when asked why is because "they dont feel like it" or say "my vote doesnt count". Apathy is a really bullshit cop out.

Harley25
09-16-2008, 05:38 PM
True... But most of the people I work with who don't vote, when asked why is because "they dont feel like it" or say "my vote doesnt count". Apathy is a really bullshit cop out.

I know tons of people with those excuses...I have been voting since I was allowed to and even when I was out of state going to college I would vote by absentee ballot every year.

trailblaze
09-16-2008, 07:17 PM
seriously though.... of all the choices of people to vote for... i can't say we as a nation would be better with any of the choices...

i've been able to vote for 10yrs... and i've voted all but a 1/2 dozen times TOTAL

the whole thing comes to down the fact not one of the choices on the ballet have 100% of my support....

in fact it always seems to come down the the point that no matter person wins, it's about 50-50 on who is the biggest douche bag...

some of you may LOVE obama.... some may LOVE mccain.... to me both are corrupt, thieving, "i'll tell you what you want to hear" politicians

the amount of good one or the other can do for our country always seems to be about equal to the amount of shit they can bring....

it seems as if in the past 10-15yrs I've showed any interest in poitics....that when it's all said and done (4-8 yrs later) most people can't wait to get a new president because of all the crap the current one has brought upon us...they may have done some good, but as a society we have been brain washed and then persuaded into what we remember, and what we think is good...

america needs way more than a John Mccain or Barack Obama to save it's self and become the great country it has potential to be

BigDukeSix
09-16-2008, 07:55 PM
Until someone finds a better system, we (the United States of America) have the best thing going.
The "all politicians are corrupt" tag is a crock of shit too. It's just a lame reason to sit things out. True change comes through actively using your rights. The right to vote, along with freedom of speech and our other liberites that many of us take for granted given to us by the Constitution ,make our country truly great.

Or you could sit back a bitch about it.

trailblaze
09-16-2008, 08:18 PM
Until someone finds a better system, we (the United States of America) have the best thing going.
The "all politicians are corrupt" tag is a crock of shit too. It's just a lame reason to sit things out. True change comes through actively using your rights. The right to vote, along with freedom of speech and our other liberites that many of us take for granted given to us by the Constitution ,make our country truly great.

Or you could sit back a bitch about it.

bitching.... nah... i'm exercising my freedom of speech... you just don't agree, which is your freedom of choice

BigDukeSix
09-16-2008, 08:27 PM
bitching.... nah... i'm exercising my freedom of speech... you just don't agree, which is your freedom of choice

I really didnt direct the "bitching" comment at you, although it might have came across that way. Just a segment of our society that believes complaining about shit all day without trying to change it is the answer.

Freedom of speech is a great thing isn't it?

trailblaze
09-16-2008, 08:54 PM
it's all good

Ronin152
09-16-2008, 10:51 PM
This is why I don't vote:
"The median voter theory, also known as the median voter theorem and the median voter model (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model_(abstract)), is a famous voting model positing that in a majority (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Majority) election (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Election), if voter policy preferences can be represented as a points along a single dimension (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimension), if all voters vote deterministically for the politician that commits to a policy position closest to their own preference, and if there are only two politicians, then if the politicians want to maximize their number of votes they should both commit to the policy position preferred by the median (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Median) voter"

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/50/Median_voter_model.png/300px-

YJBeef
09-16-2008, 11:14 PM
it's all congress anyhow, what we bitch about today happened 4 years ago and so it continues. If society itself wasn't so ****ed up, we'd be in a better circumstance no matter who the president it/was......

TimMichaels
09-17-2008, 12:22 AM
Proudly voting for Barrack Obama to get us out of the mess that is Iraq.

BigDukeSix
09-17-2008, 06:19 AM
This is why I don't vote:
"bla bla bla bla bla bla blamodel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model_(abstract)), bla bla bla blah majority (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Majority) election (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Election), blah bla blah dimension (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimension), blah bla x 1000 the median (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Median) voter"

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/50/Median_voter_model.png/300px-

That's how I read that. Ronin, for real, are you crazy? Tell the truth..

Wrecker
09-17-2008, 06:48 AM
I agree with no one person 100%. Even my family or wife. So I should I not vote? Just playing a little devils advocate.

OverkillZJ
09-17-2008, 08:47 AM
I'd be worried if you agreed with a politician 100%

With all of their GREATLY varying views, you can't tell me you agree no more with one than another.

Tim - not taking the war argument bate.

OverkillZJ
09-17-2008, 08:52 AM
it's all congress anyhow, what we bitch about today happened 4 years ago and so it continues. If society itself wasn't so ****ed up, we'd be in a better circumstance no matter who the president it/was......

It's not all congress, do you not remember what you learned in gradeschool? Balance of power, they both hold weight over each other. However, there's a little thing called a "veto" - but yes, that is where dirty politics can come into play.

The whole "no voting" argument is just crap.

Seismik
09-17-2008, 09:25 AM
It is the lesser of several evils, everything in life is. There can be no perfect candidate for everyone, it's impossible. If you feel there is one that isn't running, go write it in, seriously.

The candidates stand for very different things, I'm not sure how you can feel it doesn't matter.

I don't agree with either of them's point of views, so to me it doesn't matter, they both disagree with me. I'm not asking for the perfect candidate, I just want one that I agree with more than 20% of the time.

Seismik
09-17-2008, 09:31 AM
We have the right to vote, but that also gives us the right not to vote.

Thank you. And, I also am of the opinion that if you don't vote, then you also give up your right to bitch.

I am also of the opinion that not everyone should go vote. I feel that an uneducated vote is more deadly than a non-vote.

Matt, I think your last vote on the poll should have said " I am an oblivious, fat, lazy, stupid American citizen who doesn't realize the value of my right to vote and the price paid by others who came before me so I can live my fat stupid lazy wothless life to it's fullest".

And that doesn't make me fat and lazy, it makes me opinionated. It's the morons that are going out and just checking off their party, because it's their party that are a majority of the problem, they are uneducated and don't care enough to actually look at the views and opinions of the candidates.

sb406
09-17-2008, 10:34 AM
It's the morons that are going out and just checking off their party, because it's their party that are a majority of the problem, they are uneducated and don't care enough to actually look at the views and opinions of the candidates.

Will you marry me?

SirFuego
09-17-2008, 11:08 AM
For the record, I did not vote in the last election. And due to that, I have never complained about any of the moves Bush has made. The reason was because I was truly undecided. I didn't think that giving one vote to Bush would be fair to Kerry (or vice versa) since I was truly undecided. If I could have given a 1/2 vote to each candidate, I would have.

Which gives me an idea (to add on to SB406's idea)...

Fractional voting! So you like A better than B? But not enough to think that A is completely a better candidate than B? No problem! Give A a 0.7 and B a 0.3! Split it between three candidates if you want. If you want to vote for A, A gets 1.0 and B gets 0. Now the problem is that people are dumb and can't do math -- well, it doesn't matter because you can always normalize the entire vote to 1.

Shodan
09-17-2008, 11:25 AM
For the record, I did not vote in the last election. And due to that, I have never complained about any of the moves Bush has made. The reason was because I was truly undecided. I didn't think that giving one vote to Bush would be fair to Kerry (or vice versa) since I was truly undecided. If I could have given a 1/2 vote to each candidate, I would have.

Which gives me an idea (to add on to SB406's idea)...

Fractional voting! So you like A better than B? But not enough to think that A is completely a better candidate than B? No problem! Give A a 0.7 and B a 0.3! Split it between three candidates if you want. If you want to vote for A, A gets 1.0 and B gets 0. Now the problem is that people are dumb and can't do math -- well, it doesn't matter because you can always normalize the entire vote to 1.

Voters in Florida can't even punch a hole completely through a ballot, and you think they can handle your idea? :120:

dan58
09-17-2008, 11:26 AM
By NOT voting, you also give up the opportunity to elect your LOCAL officials. They often make more of a difference in your day-to-day life than the POTUS. Many local elections are won by just a few votes. They are important.

I have voted at every opportunity I've been given, be it in person or by absentee.

SirFuego
09-17-2008, 11:46 AM
And to further clarify, I was in my last year of college in NY and had no intentions of living in the Pittsburgh area (or PA for that matter) after graduation -- which is where I was registered at the time. So local elections didn't matter to me. Flame me all you want, but I don't see the point in voting just for the sake of voting if I'm not going to be reaping the benefits (or dealing with the downfalls) of anyone I vote for.

Things are different now that I'm established in an area, and I have every intention of voting in the upcoming election (for both national and local elections).

Seismik
09-17-2008, 12:54 PM
By NOT voting, you also give up the opportunity to elect your LOCAL officials. They often make more of a difference in your day-to-day life than the POTUS. Many local elections are won by just a few votes. They are important.

I have voted at every opportunity I've been given, be it in person or by absentee.

I believe the discussion is related to presidential only. I never said that I don't intend to vote for other offices, just not pres.

dan58
09-17-2008, 01:21 PM
I believe the discussion is related to presidential only. I never said that I don't intend to vote for other offices, just not pres.

Ah, makes more sense. When most people say they aren't voting, they aren't even going to the polls. I thought that is what you meant.

But, voting for *someone* is better than than not at all. Surely, some other smaller party has a candidate that shares enough in common with you for you to give them your vote. This sends a signal to the two major parties that they aren't giving the whole country something they want. Most issues are fairly black & white. Only having 20% in common with either party is frankly quite odd to me.

I'm simplistic. I have, and foresee of always, voting on one issue. Whoever is more pro-gun will get my vote. I've taken a beating for my stance on that, but it's no different that a pro-life, pro-choice, anti-war stance. If I have a gun in my hand, I'll always be able to eat or defend myself.

Seismik
09-17-2008, 01:28 PM
Only having 20% in common with either party is frankly quite odd to me.

You have apparently never noticed, that I AM quite odd.

dan58
09-17-2008, 01:46 PM
You have apparently never noticed, that I AM quite odd.

:042::042::042: You have to be to deal with this stupid wallet-draining sport (myself included). I don't mean it in a derogatory way at all. What are you looking for in a POTUS candidate that will get your vote?

Seismik
09-17-2008, 02:33 PM
:042::042::042: You have to be to deal with this stupid wallet-draining sport (myself included). I don't mean it in a derogatory way at all. What are you looking for in a POTUS candidate that will get your vote?

Common Sense and honesty :101:

I don't take offense. I am a unique person, with a unique view on the world. Keep in mind that just because an issue seems black and white, doesn't mean that it is.

dan58
09-17-2008, 03:11 PM
Common Sense and honesty :101:

Common sense isn't so common anymore. :104: An honest politician is about as hard to find as one with common sense.

jackb1
09-17-2008, 03:29 PM
Don't vote just to vote. If you don't know anything about the people you are voting for, then please don't bother. I'd rather not have my elected official chosen because his/her name sounded better than someone else's or their name was 1st on the ballot, etc. Everyone SHOULD vote, but everyone SHOULD also know why they are voting for the person too. I'm amazed at how many people are voting for someone (presidential or local) but don't really know why.

Wrecker
09-17-2008, 04:18 PM
Or vote for a third cantidate that will not win. It sends a message to the big parties.

village_idiot
09-17-2008, 07:54 PM
Look at it this way people, Obama= no experience, McCain= old but patriotic, Barr= not likely to get in, and Ralf Nader killed the Corvair, so to me, he is just a kill joy

OverkillZJ
09-18-2008, 10:29 AM
Fawk, I can't believe I agree with the Gibson on something. That's absolutely terrifying.

Wrecker
09-18-2008, 10:37 AM
I guess he has been growing up in his absence.

Muzikman
09-18-2008, 11:12 AM
That can't be Gibson...how the **** does he even know what a Corvair is, yet a lone that Nader was responsible for it's failure.

CollinsPC
10-10-2008, 10:23 PM
My opinion is voting is not a right it is your duty as an American citizen. Vote for the people who you can agree most with, then voice your views LOUDLY after the elections to create more change.

It is also my opinion that the elected offices should not be paid positions, didn't used to be, should be enough to represent your fellow citizens and be honored that they elected you. Would do away with carreer polititions rather quickly also.

Krod
10-10-2008, 10:46 PM
That can't be Gibson...how the **** does he even know what a Corvair is, yet a lone that Nader was responsible for it's failure.

Not his thoughts....he ripped it from a post on Pirate :037:

92YJCBG
10-12-2008, 02:04 PM
I vote for Sarah Palin to do playboy.

That is all.

Seismik
10-16-2008, 02:48 PM
http://roflrazzi.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/gary-cole-yeeeah-if-you-could-just-find.jpg?w=500&h=418

Effjae
10-16-2008, 03:16 PM
I vote for Sarah Palin to do playboy.

That is all.

I second that. I'd shoot a guardrail across her gullet!