PDA

View Full Version : Roll Bar Bolt Size??

.J u s t i n
09-19-2008, 12:12 AM
Tomorrow im taking off the roll bar and dropping the windshield so I can fit it under the carport to do some work (new thread on that work to come later)

Anyways, last time I dropped the windshield to install speakers I stripped two of the torx bolts that connect the roll-bar to the windshield and I had to drill them out. I figured while im doing all of this tomorrow I might as well replace all 4 bolts with new non-torx hardware, anybody know what size those bolts are so I can go pick them up?

Peccavi18
09-19-2008, 12:57 AM
I can't remember offhand, but I just took one to the store with me and used their guage to check till I found the right one.

Ragnorox
09-19-2008, 07:59 AM
I hate those torx crap, went to install those brackets I got off of you Ryan, 3 of the 4 hinge bolts striped out. suppose I need to replace all of them now

Peccavi18
09-19-2008, 09:50 AM
Did you end up getting them all out?
I keep replacing them as I get them out.

.J u s t i n
09-19-2008, 09:56 AM
I hate those torx crap, went to install those brackets I got off of you Ryan, 3 of the 4 hinge bolts striped out. suppose I need to replace all of them now

Torx just sucks in general and I'm sure nobody will disagree with me. I got new black door hinges to replace the old ones and I cant even swap them out because I stripped all the torx bolts in the door hinges as well. Whoever invented torx needs to be shot.

Anyways Ill get one of the bolts out later and then just size it up at the store like you said.

NeonRyder
09-19-2008, 12:31 PM
IIRC the thread size is 5/16-18.

Ragnorox
09-19-2008, 02:30 PM
yup it's 5/16 - 18, just drill the head out then drill out the stud and the use a Grab-bit to extract it. Works pretty good, just 5 torx bolts that way.

92YJCBG
09-19-2008, 02:45 PM
get rid of the torx! Im slowly getting rid of all them in my YJ.

.J u s t i n
09-19-2008, 09:36 PM
#%()#%*#% I stripped like 5 more bolts today trying to get the roll-bar out. Im putting herculiner in the jeep this weekend and damnnn if its not going to take me more time now to drill out all those bolts. Hell I might as well leave them all in and just put the herculiner around it.

tjblair
09-19-2008, 09:40 PM
Why not just weld a nut to the button head?
that is if you have a welder

.J u s t i n
09-19-2008, 09:45 PM
Why not just weld a nut to the button head?
that is if you have a welder

No welder or else i would

tjblair
09-19-2008, 09:49 PM
For the rest of the torks I found that the old fashion hammer impact works good if you can get a decent swing on it.

.J u s t i n
09-19-2008, 09:56 PM
Ehh Ill just paint around them. It was more of me being extremely frustrated because by taking out the roll bar and dropping the windshield I'd actually be able to fit it into the garage instead of leaving it out in the open overnight. Oh well, im pretty sure I can paint around the rollbar without causing problems

tjblair
09-19-2008, 10:02 PM
You can do that too I have sprayed a few liners at work with the cage in it has to be easier to paint a liner in than spray it in our liner material is preaty unforgiving but much thicker than the roll on stuff

Ragnorox
09-19-2008, 10:09 PM
put a torx bit on an impact and use short bursts that is how I got most of mine out. figured that out after stripped 5 out with a ratchet.

.J u s t i n
09-20-2008, 03:07 PM
put a torx bit on an impact and use short bursts that is how I got most of mine out. figured that out after stripped 5 out with a ratchet.

If I had an impact I would definitely do that too. I hate to think I went into this project unprepared but being up at school I dont have the majority of my tools with me. I'll find an alternative today, might just drill them out if I feel like being a stickler about the details.

.J u s t i n
09-20-2008, 08:28 PM
Well the reason I started this whole thread is because im putting herculiner in the jeep this weekend and man has it been one pain in the ass so far. Ive spent both today and yesterday taking everything out only to run into one small problem after another. I drilled out pretty much every roll bar bolt since they all stripped and I figured it'd be worthwhile to replace them all with standard bolts to make future work easier.

Anyways, I finally get everything out, windshield folded down, only to discover theres a bolt that runs from the bottom of the roll bar through the tub where its welded.
I know people have taken their rollbars out to do this project so how the fawkkkkk do I get this thing out? Sawzall?