PDA

View Full Version : Washington DC License Plates

Muzikman
10-15-2008, 01:00 PM
Now, this isn't really political, but I thought I would put it here.

This past weekend I was down in Harpers Ferry, WV. While at Antietam I saw a DC license plate (actually a few). I honestly am not sure I had seen one before, or just paid any attention, however, their little tag line caught my eye.

http://www.geocities.com/nickkanaya/DC/SA-DC-2003ND.jpg

Is it me, or do they have that tag line wrong? Personally, I think it's true, but I really don't think it's what they meant.

Wrecker
10-15-2008, 01:03 PM
Wow. I wonder if that is meant to piss off all the crats running around down there.

r6cyclegal
10-15-2008, 01:16 PM
Do the prisoners make the plates there? That'd be a great way to get back at the gov't as you sit in jail.

They all said it though. You would think someone would notice and fix it.

Muzikman
10-15-2008, 01:36 PM
After thinking about it... It's starting to make some sense, though if what I am thinking is true...I can't believe they have gone and done it.

DC is not represented in Congress which means they don't get any congressional votes. So in reality, they are Taxed without representation. I am just shocked that they put it on their plates.

OverkillZJ
10-15-2008, 01:40 PM
Wild, they're pissed! found lots of sites like this: http://www.dcvote.org/

dan58
10-15-2008, 01:40 PM
After thinking about it... It's starting to make some sense, though if what I am thinking is true...I can't believe they have gone and done it.

DC is not represented in Congress which means they don't get any congressional votes. So in reality, they are Taxed without representation. I am just shocked that they put it on their plates.

Been that way the whole time. DC has a non-voting representative in Congress though. She did a lot of whining on the Heller vs. DC case. Judging by the people I've seen running around DC, we don't want them to vote.

Muzikman
10-15-2008, 01:55 PM
DC was never designed to live in. My thought...if you don't like it...move to VA, MD or even DE.

Bill
10-15-2008, 02:23 PM
Yeah, the plates have been around for a few years... I do think that they need to have representation in DC, but as mentioned eariler it wasn't originally intended to be lived in.

DMG
10-15-2008, 03:11 PM
Considering that DC voted for Marion Barry after seeing him on video smoking crack with a hooker, I say the less input they have in our system, the better.

Bird_Flu
10-15-2008, 03:32 PM
Considering that DC voted for Marion Barry after seeing him on video smoking crack with a hooker, I say the less input they have in our system, the better.

And that line is officially signature worthy.

.J u s t i n
10-15-2008, 11:29 PM
DC was never designed to live in. My thought...if you don't like it...move to VA, MD or even DE.

Its true and the majority of people have done that...which UNFORTUNATELY results in rush hour beltway traffic haha.

Anyways I was born and raised in Southern MD. and Ive seen tons of DC plates but to be honest I NEVER noticed what it actually said until reading this thread.

sb406
10-16-2008, 07:50 AM
I just thought it was our government's mission statement.

Seismik
10-16-2008, 10:16 AM
Didn't you guys learn this in 8th grade civics class? Apparently my mother just learned this the other day as well, and called me flipping out.

Yes, you are correct, they are taxed by the federal government, however have no representation there. I'm not sure what the exact reason is, considering that Puerto Rico votes (I guess you have to be either a state or a territory?)....

OverkillZJ
10-16-2008, 10:18 AM
I learned a lot of things in school, I think I forgot about 99.99% of it!

Muzikman
10-16-2008, 12:22 PM
Puerto Rico might be able to vote (I'll be honest, I don't know if that is true or not), but they are not represented in congress either. The folks who reside in DC, can vote for the president too, they just do not have a vote in congress.

DC was designed to be it's own district, separate from any state and ruled by congress. This was to assure that the federal government would not favor any one state.

Alley
10-17-2008, 12:04 PM
Didn't you guys learn this in 8th grade civics class? Apparently my mother just learned this the other day as well, and called me flipping out.

Yes, you are correct, they are taxed by the federal government, however have no representation there. I'm not sure what the exact reason is, considering that Puerto Rico votes (I guess you have to be either a state or a territory?)....

I had civics in 8th grade, but, I had a hot teacher.(I forget his name now though!!)...i'm not sure I actually learned anything...It was the teenage raging hormones that got in the way!!