PDA

View Full Version : Deer Hunters...

MemorEsto
12-02-2008, 10:00 AM
How'd everyone do yesterday??

It's nice to get a buck with a gun not a Patriot.

I missed an 8 point at about 8:30 with another 8 point running behind it... tried the old Texas Heart Shot..... 5 minutes later, My dad shot a 9 point. Noon I finally got another 8 point.

http://www.eriejeeppeople.com/ejpforums/gallery/1225880226/gallery_1289_208_20613.jpg

JeepGeneral
12-02-2008, 10:35 AM
I hunted until noon and saw some does, a spike and a 4 point. I hope to get out later in the week and Saturay. Congrats on your buck Matt!

YJBIZ
12-02-2008, 11:07 AM
I took a doe yesterday. going to try to get out tomorrow for my buck...

EddyB
12-02-2008, 04:25 PM
I shot a doe around 9:15 yesterday morning. Leaving for Iowa thurs. morning for my buck.

dan58
12-02-2008, 04:43 PM
Short season for me. I had it drug to Dad's jeep by 0800.
7 points, 19" spread.

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa319/dan58jeeptj/Dan2008resize.jpg

Cheeks
12-02-2008, 05:48 PM
I must be hunting in the wrong places, I saw 2 deer all day both were does

Ragnorox
12-02-2008, 09:08 PM
spent all day in the snow and ice up in the Laurel Highlands and only saw 6 doe. Just about everything was hunkered down and not moving.

trailblaze
12-02-2008, 09:17 PM
where did you go mark?

Ragnorox
12-02-2008, 09:24 PM
just off the intersection of Firetower and Painter Rock.

trailblaze
12-02-2008, 09:30 PM
down towards painter rock or towards hidden valley...

only ask because i was going to head up there this sat. i've hunted towards painter rock (in fact i've hunted hundreds of acres that way) as well as most of the other side...

i've tracked some deer coming right out of the hidden valley condo area, running down hill towards jones mill rd... crossing it and staying in the pines on the first 1/8 mi of jones mill rd... i've only seen one deer on the painter rock side on firetower road... and she was about half way down to sarnellies!

Ragnorox
12-02-2008, 09:40 PM
right when you make the left off of Fire tower coming up from county line rd. their is that pond surrounded by crab apple and apple trees. prior to this Monday they have been running pretty hard. I have seen a whole butt load of doe and a few bucks. during archery their were rubs and scrapes everywhere in their. We hunted down past Nedro cemetery past the marker on the left last year, didn't see anything

Peccavi18
12-02-2008, 10:38 PM
I hunted from my parents home this year instead of our camp. We got 2 doe Monday night, we saw about 9-10 deer before season even started just over the hill from the house. I saw a 3 point and another buck that was moving to fast to even get a horn count. Total we have seem like 30 deer but no legal bucks. The camp has tons of legal bucks but to much rugged land for them to hide in and not enough people moving them. One last try for a trophy tomorrow morning then I am probably done for the year.

andrew2516
12-02-2008, 10:38 PM
I took a doe yesterday. going to try to get out tomorrow for my buck...

I shot a doe around 9:15 yesterday morning. Leaving for Iowa thurs. morning for my buck.

I thought doe didn't come in until Saturday this year?

wozz
12-02-2008, 10:47 PM
I was in class in NY all day so no luck for me. My dad saw a few does but no luck. Congrats to those who got and good luck to those still hunting.

Peccavi18
12-02-2008, 11:37 PM
I thought doe didn't come in until Saturday this year?

There were a few select counties that were delayed harvest on doe but most started on Monday with buck.

andrew2516
12-03-2008, 09:35 AM
There were a few select counties that were delayed harvest on doe but most started on Monday with buck.

oh ok...i usually don't hunt doe, i just heard a few guys around our camp talking about it.

It was actually kind of nice because when you heard a shot you knew it was a buck.

JeepSteeler
12-03-2008, 09:40 AM
No shooters came by, just some 4's, 6's, and a couple spikes. Already got a few doe in archery. Helped some other guys in camp drag doe around. Snowed like crazy the whole time (Titusville area).

Came home to Pine twp yesterday in time to see some guy pulling out a trophy 8 from behind my house. *!@#*&^ !!!

MemorEsto
12-03-2008, 09:49 AM
o

It was actually kind of nice because when you heard a shot you knew it was a buck.

Yeah..... I miss those days... now it's like WW3 the first day.

JeepSteeler
12-03-2008, 03:08 PM
Every year the first day of rifle reminds me why I love archery.

Tell me if I overreacted to this: I'm hunting my property (50 acres, posted), sitting in a little stand about 60yds off a dirt road. Very visible to the road. I'm watching 4 deer coming my way running parallel to the road (about 60yds from the road) on the adjoining property. There is a gaswell road that divides my property from the neighbors. Neighbors live in Philly, so the land they own is open to anybody.

So, as the deer get closer to me (maybe 50 yds), I hear a car coming down the road behind me, its a Jeep Liberty with hunters - they give me a little wave. They then stop a little past the gaswell road and see the 4 deer, who spook a little but they only run about 20 yards and stop. So the hunters back up, and pull into the gaswell lane between me and the deer. Deer run away. Hunters get out and start putting on their orange and stuff, getting ready to hunt and act like nothing happened.

At this point I am furious. I yell at them and called them roadhunters and thanked them for fawking up my hunt. They pretended to not know what was going on. I went to another stand, b*tching at them the whole way.

So, was I out of line? I was already a little mad because I've had problems with trespassing lately and had to put a gate up across my camp lane because people were driving in there and tearing things up and stealing wood.

I just found it to be really ignorant and not in the spirit of hunting.

MemorEsto
12-03-2008, 03:29 PM
My stand is right on property lines and about 50 yards off of a dirt road as well.... I deal with the same crap every year. Out of town hunters not knowing the land or property lines thinking everything is open for hunting on the first day.

trailblaze
12-03-2008, 03:31 PM
you should have shot them...

MemorEsto
12-03-2008, 03:57 PM
you should have shot them...
12 or more pigs can eat a body in under 20 minutes :029:

OverkillZJ
12-03-2008, 04:25 PM
Every year the first day of rifle reminds me why I love archery.

Tell me if I overreacted to this: I'm hunting my property (50 acres, posted), sitting in a little stand about 60yds off a dirt road. Very visible to the road. I'm watching 4 deer coming my way running parallel to the road (about 60yds from the road) on the adjoining property. There is a gaswell road that divides my property from the neighbors. Neighbors live in Philly, so the land they own is open to anybody.

So, as the deer get closer to me (maybe 50 yds), I hear a car coming down the road behind me, its a Jeep Liberty with hunters - they give me a little wave. They then stop a little past the gaswell road and see the 4 deer, who spook a little but they only run about 20 yards and stop. So the hunters back up, and pull into the gaswell lane between me and the deer. Deer run away. Hunters get out and start putting on their orange and stuff, getting ready to hunt and act like nothing happened.

At this point I am furious. I yell at them and called them roadhunters and thanked them for fawking up my hunt. They pretended to not know what was going on. I went to another stand, b*tching at them the whole way.

So, was I out of line? I was already a little mad because I've had problems with trespassing lately and had to put a gate up across my camp lane because people were driving in there and tearing things up and stealing wood.

I just found it to be really ignorant and not in the spirit of hunting.

I'm not even a hunter, and that'd piss me off; people are assholes, never forget! (x2, shoulda shot at them ROFL)

JeepSteeler
12-03-2008, 04:42 PM
LOL....well there were 2 of them with guns and only 1 of me with a gun....

I expect too much from my fellow man I suppose.

MemorEsto
12-03-2008, 04:44 PM

I could easily take down 1 and have my scope on the other before he knew what happened.

I also carry my 9mm inside my jacket as well.

JeepSteeler
12-03-2008, 07:05 PM
I could easily take down 1 and have my scope on the other before he knew what happened.

I don't doubt it, but that's if shooting someone over this....ya know.....actually crossed one's mind. That's the easy way out....for them. I was pissed but not homicidal. :119: I should have just followed them around all day on my quad.

Now if it was a big trophy 12 point B&C they spooked......

stillersfan
12-03-2008, 07:10 PM
Speaking of pigs... Did anyone notice they opened up hunting feral pigs in butler county? Now with that being said I have never seen a wild pig in the woods, do we really have that much of a problem? Dont get me wrong I would definately take a boar if I seen one while Im out hunting!

JeepSteeler
12-03-2008, 08:25 PM
I had no idea we had feral pigs in this state. I have seen them in the "wild" in the South...they can mess you up! They do destroy crops and land like crazy. Many states have no limit hunts on them.

trailblaze
12-03-2008, 08:29 PM

haha, nice to know others carry side arms and have homicidal thoughts like me...

ok so shooting someone over this was a "knee jerk" thought.... but.... it would have been more amusing to follow them around all day keeping a "short" distance and just make a ruckus

dan58
12-03-2008, 09:25 PM
Feral swine is a HUGE problem in PA. It's so bad in Bedford and Cambria Counties that you can't hunt them because they're getting so wary of humans. The PGC is trapping the hell out of them. They eat eggs, fawns, anything. They also tear up the woods and farm fields.

Sleeper
12-03-2008, 09:37 PM
Archery for two weeks here and wiffed an 8 point with a nice spread and know where he dens at, and it is right up from my house, i'm gonna try and get him late season or this week. Went to camp for 4 days and one of our buddies got a nice 7 at day break and won the buck pool. Buddy saw a 8 and no shot and his uncle saw a 10-12 with no shot, should of hit him in the bakc of the head if you ask me. Saw a coyote at 6;45 out of the stand but didn't shoot him. Up camp there is buck only for first week thne whatever last week. We wondered why the deer were scattered and found out three young kids snuck on the property and pushe em out of our woods(30 acres then another 28 next to it we hunt), damn kids pushed the srong way and trespassed!

Ragnorox
12-03-2008, 11:11 PM

Thats why I carry my 44 on my hip in plain site and the 9mm in my back pack.

Had my nephew with me on monday hunting game lands, we had been freezing our butts off since 4:30 am in the blind when some dude comes tromping up the valley like he was on a sunday stroll. we had been watching 3 doe (which he scarred off) when he decides to post up in front of us about 50 yards down range. I whistled a couple times, he would look but not move. So I stood up so he could see me and whistled still didn't move. I went down had a little chat with him....he moved. Isn't it hunters ediqued if someone is hunting an area and you walk up or even see them, that you move on? People suck

Leady
12-04-2008, 11:04 AM
I haven't made it out yet I've been at work a lot since Monday I'm hoping to get out as soon as I can.

stillersfan
12-04-2008, 08:27 PM
I had no idea we had feral pigs in this state. I have seen them in the "wild" in the South...they can mess you up! They do destroy crops and land like crazy. Many states have no limit hunts on them.

they say it can take as little as 30 days for a released pig to turn feral, they will eat just about anything from crops to baby fawns. they are mean little buggers too ....

jackb1
12-04-2008, 09:47 PM
Feral swine is a HUGE problem in PA.

There was one off of Cemetary Lane in the North Hills for a while. It is just a basic residential area with a very small woods area around the cemetaries. My friends dad used to walk there almost daily and told us he'd see a boar regularly... we didn't believe him until he brought back the skull 6 months later.

stillersfan
12-05-2008, 02:57 PM
http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/view.asp?Q=175360&A=11 here is link with an interesting article relating to the feral hogs from the state game....