PDA

View Full Version : Tube bending question

limegreentj
12-07-2008, 11:24 PM
as some of you know i have been looking for a tube bender, i looked at the jd2 and seriously considered buying it but the only thing that turned me off was that you have to buy all the dies separately and they are expensive. So my question is, do you think that a simple hydraulic pipe bender would suffice? i dont really plan on making any super technical bends or really dont plan on making any sharp degree bends either. i know that pipe and tube is 2 different things, basically i'm just wondering if anyone has ever done this and how its worked for them? Also, any pics of things you've built with a pipe bender would be cool. thanks!

MF Steve!
12-07-2008, 11:28 PM
People have done it. The bends are not as clean, and the tube sort of "flattens out" within the path of the radius, because you don't have the constant pressure of the follower blocks keeping it true. But, regardless...you're still bending toob.

limegreentj
12-07-2008, 11:54 PM
i've researched a bit on JU and a lot of people use pipe for bumpers and such, but def not for a cage

MF Steve!
12-08-2008, 12:14 AM
Correct. When the tube starts to flatten out in a bend, its losing its structral integrity. Basically you've pre-weakened it, so to speak.

DMG
12-08-2008, 12:23 AM
Pipe and tube are sized differently. If you want to build with pipe, get a pipe bender. If you want to use tube, get a tube bender.

sb406
12-08-2008, 08:33 AM
Search Pirate.
Many people have done cages with the kink-o-matic. It can be done, but it's difficult. The main problem is that standard tubing doen't fit the pipe dies very well, which allows the tube to flatten and then kink. Also, you'll get small kinks in the tube where the 2 rollers hit. I've spent many hours screwing around with a pipe bender before buying my tubing bender. I've even made exhaust with it. It's a matter of how much patience you have and how much tubing you want to waste.

wozz
12-08-2008, 10:56 AM
I used one for the brush guard on my bumper. It did slightly flatten out, and get small marks from the dies but nothing that bothers me. I'm not sure how it would work for anything under an 1/8" thick. I would not use one for a cage, but for bumpers and sliders, it was a cheap way to get by.

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p166/ewozz/IMG_0866.jpg

Here is the final product.

Barillms
02-06-2009, 12:26 PM
the main thing is the crush factor. It definately crushes the tube.
It won't work with DOM, but HREW will bend.
I'd go with a cheaper one, like $300.. But not the shit Harbor Freight
Ones.

busij44
02-06-2009, 08:36 PM
Pipe and tube are sized differently. If you want to build with pipe, get a pipe bender. If you want to use tube, get a tube bender.

O.D. vs I.D.

Deadman 94 xj
02-06-2009, 11:10 PM
Well, somebody needs to get one. I need some tube fenders bent.

96greenxjjeep
02-06-2009, 11:19 PM
Well, somebody needs to get one. I need some tube fenders bent.

x2

Peccavi18
02-07-2009, 12:05 PM
I don't know how much your looking to spend but GFS Scott Metals does bending of tube. I have never priced it but they weren't badly priced on the other flat plate stuff I have had them do. And I was just able to take them hand drawings of what I wanted done although they use dxf files if you have them.

limegreentj
02-07-2009, 12:12 PM
i could do it at my work but i was looking in to getting something for my garage since, if i need something done i have to do it on my lunch or something so it'd be a hell of a lot easier to have the equipment at my house

justin'sbig7
02-11-2009, 05:35 PM
i will be buying the jd2 in a month or so, i am going to get a 1.75 dies for it. just waitin for tax return

bustabizz
02-19-2009, 10:09 PM
http://www.probender.com/

I got this one, hydraulic bender for the price of a Jd2

DMG
02-19-2009, 10:57 PM
http://www.probender.com/

I got this one, hydraulic bender for the price of a Jd2

That is more than I have in the hydro bender we put together.

bustabizz
02-20-2009, 12:17 AM
Oh once I got it I wasn't happy, I could have just fabbed it up myself. But it was my families Christmas gift for me, so I can't complain.

Sycotik Skier
02-20-2009, 01:27 AM
alright so i was looking into a manual tube bender such as the jd2. DMG are you suggesting buying that and then convert it?

MF Steve!
02-20-2009, 07:12 AM
alright so i was looking into a manual tube bender such as the jd2. DMG are you suggesting buying that and then convert it?

It was pretty easy to put together. All the resources are readily available, not to mention badass. Plus, you get to configure everything the way you want it.

Sycotik Skier
02-20-2009, 06:40 PM
guetimate on how much it'd cost to convert it to hydro?

DMG
02-20-2009, 09:24 PM
guetimate on how much it'd cost to convert it to hydro?
I used the OTC Enerpac ram that Jd2 sells but I found it new on ebay for 210, shipped. The hose was made by Myzak hydro in Canonsburg for 65 and could have been cheaper but I got it extra long and with a quick release. The adaptor was around 100 from Trick tools.
I used the hydro power unit/valve/etc from an automotive lift which I got for $50 and works perfect with a spring-return ram.

So around $425 for everything to convert it.

DMG
02-20-2009, 09:28 PM
If you want to see the converted bender, pm me and come out to the shop one day when we are using it.

Sycotik Skier
02-20-2009, 09:39 PM
would you be able to help me out and bend up some tube fenders for my jeep? I'm willing to pay. I have a guy in butler who will bend tube for me but he's hard to get ahold of and not into jeeps so it'd be easier with someone who knows off roading and what not

DMG
02-24-2009, 08:04 PM
would you be able to help me out and bend up some tube fenders for my jeep? I'm willing to pay. I have a guy in butler who will bend tube for me but he's hard to get ahold of and not into jeeps so it'd be easier with someone who knows off roading and what not

Yes, just figure out what you want and we can do it some time next month.