PDA

View Full Version : Where can I learn to weld?

jeepin ruby
01-03-2009, 07:32 PM
Okey, so as some of you know Im soon to be out of a job. I got a good in with a new job making great money (hopefully) The only qualification Im lacking is an ability to weld. Ive been searching the net looking for local classes and the only thing that comes up for trade/tech schools is ITT tech & Kaplan. Niether of which offers a welding program. CCAC does but only at theyre Neval Island school and thats just too damn far for me to get to every day.

So does anybody know of some classes I could take south or east of the city. Nothing too complex I just need a basic certifacate of some sort.

village_idiot
01-03-2009, 07:36 PM
there are a few people on here that would probably teach you, i have gotten a few offers, mostly because my welds look like shit, but im sure some one would be willing to help.

jeepin ruby
01-03-2009, 07:54 PM
"some guy I know from the internet taught me in his garage" dosent look so good on the resume. I know the basics, just need a piece of paper that says so.

stesul411
01-03-2009, 07:58 PM
Check at your local community college or vo-tech school, they both offer evening classes.

oldschoolyotaguy
01-03-2009, 08:27 PM
Check at your local community college or vo-tech school, they both offer evening classes.

thats your best bet...what welding you looking to learn??

stick, mig, tig??

industrial based or light material??

its what im going to school for so heres a few pointers:

if its mig'n little stuff, sheet metal or thin gauge material, go buy a little 110 mig machine and teach yourself,learn how to burn it together without warping

stick, theres not a lot a schools going to teach you, other than the theory end of it, stick is nothing more than a shit load of practice, its the dirtiest and one of the most primitive processes, but its strong, so its still used a LOT today...the only way a school will help you with stick, is if you have an old timer for a teacher that can show you little tips and tricks along the way, thats how i learned it and im now certified to stick, any thickness material, with 7018, any position and all pipe over 2' dia.....its a very crude process, but once you learn it, you'll prefer it over other processes

and tig, youre not going to walk into a place that does tig welding without a lot of schooling (certificate or associates), simply because of the exspense of tooling, consumables, and if its getting tig'd, its very critical and 98% of the time, a very exspensive item...

bottom line, the easiest way to learn is to do it...my school over-educates you to the point that once you get out and do it, you have so much theory about it that when a problem or difficulty arrises, you know exactly whats happening and it can easily be fixed... and not just cuz your beads look prety means their strong... ive watched bneautiful beads break on a 120,000 psi bend test, half way through the bend test, from lack of fusion...so just cuz you layed down $1,000,000,000 worth of perfectly stacked dimes, if you dont understand what the hells goin on, youre walkin a thin line of failure...

but thats my $.02... enjoy and good luck!!

Cebby
01-03-2009, 10:58 PM
Where is Elizabeth? They are offering classes at the Steel Center AVS in Clairton. Next one starts on 2/17 for MIG/TIG. I think they'll have a beginner course also (primarily stick and theory)

jeepin ruby
01-03-2009, 11:26 PM
I looked at the one in Jefferson Hills. They had nothing. Cant find one in Clairton. Gotta link?

Nothingface5384
01-04-2009, 01:22 AM
ccac has some welding classes in the oakdale area, smae road as where pti is
thats where i went i think in 06/07 winter
i did the brazing course..which covers oxy acetlene and using the torch to cut/bevel, braze, and weld.
also covered stick welding 1/4 and thin gage...3 out of 4 posistions(flat, horizontal, and top? didnt use over head), and all the possible joints(butt joint, lap joint, t joint, blah blah blah). that one class ened up being like 300
they also have striat up stick classes, and a mig and tig process class..never gotten around to those

steamfitters union always has a "apprenticeship signup every year, havent gotten around to that either..just cost 25 bucks for the application fee then cost of gear

wender
01-05-2009, 01:20 PM
i just took a class over at ccac on 22/30. the class was pipe welding/stick, but i got preapproved to learn more about the tig welding process while everyone else was stick welding. it was about 14 weeks, 4 hours every saturday morning and i actually learned alot from the instructor, chuck berry. this is the semester comming up that you can get certified in. i just talked to them and told them what i was interested in. my work paid for the class but i think it was around 300 bucks for the semester. i live in greentree and am new to the area and this forum. i would be willing to show you typical tests most industries ask you to take. mig, tig or stick. although the only welder i own is a mig machine, the others are at my work place. this offer goes for anyone, it would be a nice way to meet some fellow offroaders. give me a call 740 632 9921.

Cebby
01-05-2009, 01:46 PM
I looked at the one in Jefferson Hills. They had nothing. Cant find one in Clairton. Gotta link?

Steel Center Vo-Tech
565 N Lewis Run Rd
Clairton, PA 15025-3711

Through CCAC:

XHB-003-1550 Welding
XHB-013-1550 MIG/TIG Welding

They aren't on their website since they aren't credit classes. Call 412-369-3703 for more info or 412-237-2670 to register.

jeepin ruby
01-05-2009, 08:28 PM
Yeah it wasnt listed on theyre site. Thats what had me confused, I called em today. Thanks Mike.

1999tjsport
01-22-2009, 07:34 PM
i live in elizabeth its south east of the city, down town in a half hour no traffic

limegreentj
01-22-2009, 08:00 PM
what?

Barillms
01-22-2009, 10:17 PM
you don't need taught, you press a button and move your welding tip back and forth. You can learn to weld in about 20 minutes with some online tips. The welder has a few simple controls.. I pretty much weld on the same settings for pretty much everything unless it's thin. Welding is very easy, buy A 110 Hobart 140 Handler and practice on some scrap.

mxg342
01-22-2009, 10:43 PM
you don't need taught, you press a button and move your welding tip back and forth. You can learn to weld in about 20 minutes with some online tips. The welder has a few simple controls.. I pretty much weld on the same settings for pretty much everything unless it's thin. Welding is very easy, buy A 110 Hobart 140 Handler and practice on some scrap.

That's pretty funny right there....... Read an online artice and go take a certification test. I guess that's all it takes.

Oh by the way. If you are ever in Ellwood City let me know. I'd love to introduce you to a guy I used to work with. He'd really enjoy that comment.

doublejz
01-23-2009, 01:20 PM
That's pretty funny right there....... Read an online artice and go take a certification test. I guess that's all it takes.

Oh by the way. If you are ever in Ellwood City let me know. I'd love to introduce you to a guy I used to work with. He'd really enjoy that comment.

or even Steve...

limegreentj
01-23-2009, 05:35 PM
yeah thats a pretty shitty insult to all us welders, who do it as a profession or even a hobby

limegreentj
01-23-2009, 05:36 PM
and if you use the same settings for everything unless its thin you probably arent getting very good penatration on certain things, remind me never to trust anything you've welded

avenged7foldhc
01-24-2009, 12:11 AM
thats how i learned it and im now certified to stick, any thickness material, with 7018, any position....

even doggie?

sorry! someone had to do it :040:

DMG
01-24-2009, 10:35 AM

No, I think he meant learn to weld correctly.

cody
01-25-2009, 10:34 AM
im a teacher at ccac . the school has moved to robinson township . the drive might be far but the program is excellent..

cody
01-25-2009, 10:38 AM
i just took a class over at ccac on 22/30. the class was pipe welding/stick, but i got preapproved to learn more about the tig welding process while everyone else was stick welding. it was about 14 weeks, 4 hours every saturday morning and i actually learned alot from the instructor, chuck berry. this is the semester comming up that you can get certified in. i just talked to them and told them what i was interested in. my work paid for the class but i think it was around 300 bucks for the semester. i live in greentree and am new to the area and this forum. i would be willing to show you typical tests most industries ask you to take. mig, tig or stick. although the only welder i own is a mig machine, the others are at my work place. this offer goes for anyone, it would be a nice way to meet some fellow offroaders. give me a call 740 632 9921.

are u taking a flux core certification on saturday?