PDA

View Full Version : Need some road bike help!

JeepGeneral
01-07-2009, 04:07 PM
I decided to ride the MS Bike Tour this year and need a bike for the trip. I have no idea what to look for so hopefully some of you guys can help out. I'm hoping to stay under $600 as I'm just starting out and not too sure on how serious I will be after the actual tour.

1. I took some measurements today and I fall in between a 54cm and 56cm frame. Assuming since I'm relatively tall (6'0) and not into racing (weight isn't a big deal), I would probably be more comfortable on the larger frame. Is this correct?

2. What are the popular, well built brands? When I was a kid Schwinns were a good quality name, now they sell them at Walmart. From what I can gather through reviews on Google, Trek seems to still make a good bike and have some entry level road bikes that would probably fit the bill.

3. Where should I look? In Greensburg there are no bike stores. I'm hoping to find a decent, larger store with lots of different inventory to try. I may consider buying online once I ride a few bikes as well.

4. When do new models come out? My hope is to find a leftover model from last year at a cheap price, hopefully I'm not off in my timing. I may consider a used bike as well since its my first.

5. Is there any particular equipment I can't live without? I've already been told by a bud who used to sell bikes to get clip-in pedals which I'm planning on.

Thanks in advance

jeepxj3
01-07-2009, 05:33 PM
You wont find a light road bike for anything under 1000 bucks. Your best bet is to head to a bike shop and just shop around.

Trazilla in Aspinwall has a great selection of road/triathalon bikes.

As for when new models come out, well they just did, so you might be able to find some old stock out there, dont hesitate to look into bikes that you have never heard of before as well.

Are you looking for a 10 speed or single speed?

JeepGeneral
01-07-2009, 05:58 PM
Thanks Jason, definitely not a single speed as there is lots of ups and downs in my area.

BAD_GNR
01-07-2009, 06:13 PM
If you're planning on sticking to your budget, find someone that knows what they're doing and go to Dick's come February/March. Dunhams may be another place. That seems to be when they really push to get rid of any old models, and there's always a few that they have a hard time selling because most people that shop there don't know what they're doing. For the money you want to spend, that's probably your best bet at getting the best deal.

I got my Nishiki there for about 70% off, and they threw in a $450 dollar shock with it because they were trying to get rid of it (granted this was about 12 years ago). The components on it alone were worth more than what I paid. The salesman thought it was japanese, and that was his reason that no one was buying it (made in North Carolina). My best friend got a $1200 Mongoose for about $500 when we went a few years ago.

I don't know much about road bikes, but that's my $.02, go for the best value you can get. I'm going to guess that you'll have a hard time getting a good bike for $600 at a bike shop. You're not going to get a hardcore bike for what you want to spend, but if you make some concessions, you can get a really nice bike and a really good deal.

jeepxj3
01-08-2009, 12:30 AM
WTF?! Dicks and Dunhams sells junk, stay away from there... May also want to check craigslist, I see alot of road bikes on there.

2002wranglerX
01-08-2009, 01:45 AM
the deals are to be had on craigslist. My jamis and my wife's trek were both purchased there. she's got a 1200 super light, aluminum frame, carbon fork. My jamis is steel with a carbon fork. Mine also has a custom laced rear wheel and upgraded front wheel. Ritchey stem, bars, and post, etc.

I paid 300 for each of them. They were both around 1k new. (the jamis a little less but has been upgraded).

Urbanek picked up a Giant CFR2 butted carbon fiber frame, shimano 105 components, etc for 200 bucks!

a few things to consider.

1. entry level components will not have integrated shifters. What that means is you'll have to be "on the horns" in order to shift into a harder gear. The nicer components like the shimano 105 type stuff will have a lever behind the brake that you tap. What that means is you can shift while on "the drops" (low on the bars).

2. width of bars. i prefer wider bars, but my road bike is also more of an upright touring bike.

3. geometry: my bike is more upright. Urbanek's bike is more of a time trial bike that sits you low. you'll just have to see where you're comfortable.

4. do you want to ride rails to trails? if so i recommend that you make sure the bike will fit a 35 series tire. a full on race road bike probably won't be able to. my race tires on my jamis are 700cx23. but i can fit up to a 35.

5. frame material: Aluminum is light and cheap, but will beat you up. Steel is very close to aluminum in weight but will absorb much more of the bumps. Carbon fiber will be stiff, but supposedly absorbs vibration. careful with CF since a scratch or a wipe out may kill the frame. Butted Carbon fiber is the hotness when it comes to CF (in my opinion).

I'm rebuilding my grandfather's 1969 Schwinn super sport right now. Pretty cool. steel frame, brazed. I also have a 1975 schwinn continental sitting here if you get into vintage stuff.

good luck man.

Shodan
01-08-2009, 10:26 AM
As you do your research look into "Cross" bikes also. That's short for cyclocross. Basically a road bike for the dirt that will accept wider tires, built bomproof, and would make a great commuter or rail to trail bike if you end up liking road riding. With the way our roads are, that extra beef over a road/race bike sure doesn't hurt either.
The gearing may be better suited for you too depending on your fitness and how much saddle time you get before the big ride.

JeepGeneral
01-08-2009, 10:53 AM
Thanks for all the replies, I did countless hours of research last night and adressed just about all the points you guys came up with. I've been browsing Craigslist and all I can seem to find is garbage. Luckily I'm in no hurry so something will hopefully come along. I plan to hit a couple shops and get properly fitted this weekend, then I'll know exactly what to look for when it comes to size.

Thanks for bringing up the point about wider tires, as a lot of my riding will probably be done on the 5 star trail or Ohiopyle before and after the actual MS Tour. I'll have to do some research on what size tires I can fit on the different models I have in mind.

I have found that just about every bike in my price range (under $800 new/$400 used) have similar properties. Either steel or aluminium frames, carbon forks, and bottom end shimano stuff (sora or some tiagra). I've been looking at some "less popular" names on the web and have found the frames are almost all made in taiwan or japan regardless of the brand name. I may look into that option if I can't find a decent used bike in decent time.

The frontrunner in my search so far is the Trek 1000. They're plentiful and can be had for around $400 used. Lots of the bikes I found on ebay had some upgraded parts already as well. I'll have to check on the possible tire width.

Thanks again!

JeepGeneral
01-08-2009, 10:54 AM
Darrin,

I looked into some cyclocross bikes last night as well, I like the idea of being able to beat it up a little more and I'm not easy on anything. I haven't searched around for any used ones yet though.

HoodRN
01-08-2009, 01:54 PM
Darrin,

I looked into some cyclocross bikes last night as well, I like the idea of being able to beat it up a little more and I'm not easy on anything. I haven't searched around for any used ones yet though.

I was looking for a road bike last year, and ended up with cyclocross bike made by Surly. The model is called the Crosscheck. I bought it at SpeedGoat in Laughlintown. It is a 60cm frame with Ritchey cross tires and Shimano components. I added a Chris King headset and some Shimano 540spd pedals and have been riding the snot out of it since.

BTW, the craigslist advice is worth checking out. I got a nice Jamis mountain bike with top end components for 300.00 off the list. The guy that owned it built and and decided that mountain biking was not for him.

2002wranglerX
01-08-2009, 03:08 PM
on bikesdirect theres a motobecane cyclocross that's a direct copy of the fuji. it runs or 550 new i think. I'll link when I ge home and can look up my bookmark.

JeepGeneral
01-08-2009, 03:18 PM
I've spent a ton of time on their site and like their prices. I've read some negative reviews but you'll have that with any online retailer. They seem to have bikes with the same quality parts for less money, a win win in my eyes.

I'm leading heavily towards a cyclocross bike now since most of my riding (with exception to the tour) will be rails to trails. I'll pick up a better set of rims and skinny tires for the race most likely.

2002wranglerX
01-08-2009, 04:15 PM
I've spent a ton of time on their site and like their prices. I've read some negative reviews but you'll have that with any online retailer. They seem to have bikes with the same quality parts for less money, a win win in my eyes.

I'm leading heavily towards a cyclocross bike now since most of my riding (with exception to the tour) will be rails to trails. I'll pick up a better set of rims and skinny tires for the race most likely.

ya read al the reviews online before buying from them. I believe the phantom cross is the fuji knock off. im rocking a jamis satellite with upgraded wheels, stem, post,and bars. I also added a ultrega rear deraileur I had laying around. im super pleased with it.

2002wranglerX
01-08-2009, 04:57 PM
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/fantom_cross_cx.htm

that's the one i've read good reviews on. supposedly it's a fuji knock off.

the shifters are sora, so they'll have a button on top to shift into a harder gear. That's what i have on my Jamis. it's not bad, but integrated 105's would be nicer.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/fantom_cross.htm

that one's a step up. butted aluminum frame is cool. plus now you're up to a 105 deraileur, tiagra shifters (what's on the wife's trek) so they're integrated, carbon fork, etc.

anyway, good luck with whatever you buy. i'll keep my eyes open for ya.

JeepGeneral
01-08-2009, 07:56 PM
I'm keeping my eyes peeled and hitting up some shops this weekend in search of used bikes. If I can't find what I'm looking for, I'll buy online.

Thanks for the links, I'm now comparing a Fantom CX to a Record. The hardware is basically the same but the Record has a carbon fork. The frames are shaped a little different as well. I sent an email to see if there is room for a larger tire on the Record, if so I'll probably go that direction. If not, I'll go for the Fantom CX. I like the Fantom Pro but have a tough time spending $800 before I know I'm really going to enjoy it.

Assuming you've ridden both, is there a big difference in dampening between a carbon and chromoly fork?

trailerrails
01-08-2009, 08:06 PM
I am a huge fan of cross bikes for around Pittsburgh.
Here are a couple nice options:
http://cgi.ebay.com/2005-Fuji-Cross-Pro-road-bike-cycle-cross-bike_W0QQitemZ250354358684QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRoad_ Bikes?hash=item250354358684&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A570%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C2 40%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

This is a freeking awesome bike!!! I love the salsa's and I love disc brakes. My cross bike has discs and I will never ride a cross bike without them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SALSA-LA-CRUZ-w-105-and-XT-55cm-CROSS-or-COMMUTER_W0QQitemZ220338952428QQcmdZViewItemQQptZR oad_Bikes?hash=item220338952428&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A570%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C2 40%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

2002wranglerX
01-09-2009, 01:25 AM
I am a huge fan of cross bikes for around Pittsburgh.
Here are a couple nice options:
http://cgi.ebay.com/2005-Fuji-Cross-Pro-road-bike-cycle-cross-bike_W0QQitemZ250354358684QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRoad_ Bikes?hash=item250354358684&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A570%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C2 40%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

This is a freeking awesome bike!!! I love the salsa's and I love disc brakes. My cross bike has discs and I will never ride a cross bike without them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SALSA-LA-CRUZ-w-105-and-XT-55cm-CROSS-or-COMMUTER_W0QQitemZ220338952428QQcmdZViewItemQQptZR oad_Bikes?hash=item220338952428&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A570%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C2 40%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

if you ride in the snow discs are an almost must. although this year i've been getting by without them.

trailerrails
01-10-2009, 07:25 PM
Yea, a cross bike will work without disc brakes just like cars worked with drum brakes back in the day. They work ok.
Rim brakes get hot in dry weather and they fade, even on short downhills. Discs are less affected by heat.

commando72
01-17-2009, 11:11 PM
Assuming you've ridden both, is there a big difference in dampening between a carbon and chromoly fork?

Tom,
I have an aluminum fork on mine, my wife has carbon on hers. The carbon does cushion more than the steel and aluminum. She rode a steel frame prior to her Litespeed and really noticed a difference in the ride mostly in the fork. (carbon vs. steel)

There are some good shops around greensburg, but most don't have a ton of inventory. Spoked Wheels in Mt.Pleasant is a decent shop, the owner is by far the best wrench in the area. He's the only one that I will allow to work on my wife's bike.
I have an aluminum Schwinn (Paramount frame) that was made in the late 80's. Put many miles on that bike and it still rides great. But I won't go over 50 with it...death wobble starts around 55 in a downhill tuck.:095:
I bought it used from the old Greensburg Cycle shop over on Alexander....owner is Carl. He some times has used bikes that he sells for customers. He is also the shop we got the Litespeed through. There used to be a shop up past Ligioner on 30 in Laughlintown, Speedgoat??

If you really want a higher end bike and don't mind buying old stock that wasn't sold...Ambridge Cycle sells new bikes, but they are leftover stock from many places. Good prices, but a little bit of a drive. It's on the main drag down in Ambridge Pa.

I have done the 150 three times, my best advice is to get in at least 3-4 50+ mile rides prior to going. (that's 50 in one day) A friend thought he could do the ride by just going on 5 - 10 mile rides a couple of days a week...didn't work out too well for him. Problem wasn't his legs, it was his ass! He hadn't riden long enough to have his arse conditioned to sit in the saddle for that long of a ride. He had to bail after the first day. His rear looked like raw meat. The first day is long and all the big hills are at the end of the day, starting in Cochranton. Don't remember the exact mileage, but it's around 80 miles. Second day is mostly flat and in Ohio, so you basically pedal all day with no downhills for a break.
If I had time this year, I would love to do the ride again. But that takes more training time than I can give up from the family.
Good luck on the cycle search.

2002wranglerX
01-18-2009, 01:26 AM
it might matter less on on road bikes, but with mtn bikes i stay away from old aluminum frames.

JeepGeneral
01-24-2009, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the advice Matt, I'm really looking forward to riding now that the weather is starting to get a little warmer. Hopefully I can get some good shorts and get my butt ready for the ride.

I'm going to look at a 2003 Trek 2000 today, aluminium frame, carbon fork, 105 components. He is asking $250 which I think is pretty fair, hopefully I can get it for less.