PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Duty Adjustable WJ Trackbar Build

Cebby
01-09-2009, 05:03 PM
Time I stopped polluting the "Steel" thread with my questions...

I'm in the process of putting together a beef trackbar for my WJ. It will be adjustable and include a narrow body Johnny Joint on the axle end and poly bushing on the vehicle end.

Here's the parts:

Currie Johnny Joint Forged Rod End # CE-9112N-13 - 1 x 14 x 1.6"w with jam nut
JKS Urethane Bushings # 7087R and Sleeve #3618SL

I'll be using 1.25"OD x .188 wall DOM for the trackbar. Instead of welding in a threaded insert, I'm having the end of the tube threaded to accept the JJ.

I still need to pick up the DOM - anyone have a piece (about 4' long). I also need to source a tiny amount of some 1.625 x .120 wall DOM for the JKS Bushings.

The reason for this is my new IRO springs (3"), BPE's, JKS Discos and 5125 Bils awaiting install - then some new shoes so I can get the WJ inspected.

Pics of the progress to follow.

Barillms
02-06-2009, 12:22 PM
I'd say make sure the ID of the DOM will work with the Johnny Joint shank diameter...
Also the track bar has a tricky bend to it, if u replicate the bend and use the stock lower axle mount, be sure to get the bend right.
If u weld on a NEW lower mount in a location on top ofvthe axle tube, you might not need to bend your DOM, it makes sense to keep the track bar straight if you can.

Cebby
02-06-2009, 04:38 PM
I guess it's time for an update. My kero heater is broken (and Reddy Heater parent, Desa is bankrupt - so no parts available), so I've been waiting for it to get a little warmer. This weekend should be a chance to get something accomplished.

I ended up getting a length of 1.25 x .25 wall DOM. I couldn't find anyone with .188 wall nearby. The piece has already been drilled/tapped for the JJ and is ready for me to bend it. I need to install the D30 Solid cover I just got to make sure I clear it.

The piece for the JKS bushing is actually for 1.75 x .120 wall DOM which I already have.