PDA

View Full Version : Looking for input on this WASR

Ragnorox
01-27-2009, 05:47 PM
A guy I know is selling this WASR, I know nothing about them just looking to get a little feed back. This is what he sent me.
Rifle - 70 rounds fired
Pickatinny mount receiver cover
Original receiver cover
scope mounts
scope
two 30round double stack mags
4 rubber mag covers
magazine pouch
speed loader
10 stripper clips
trigger lock
cleaning oil bottle
cleaning kit(inserts in butt stock)
Sling
Century owners manual
All boxes included.

I also have 500 rounds of Brown Bear ammo for sale. It is better than Wolf ammo, much cleaner and more accurate. $150 for the ammo.
http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh64/Ragnorox/128-2839_IMG.jpg
http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh64/Ragnorox/128-2840_IMG.jpg
http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh64/Ragnorox/128-2841_IMG.jpg
http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh64/Ragnorox/128-2842_IMG.jpg
http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh64/Ragnorox/128-2843_IMG.jpg

.J u s t i n
01-27-2009, 06:00 PM
What price does he want for the rifle itself?

Ragnorox
01-27-2009, 06:06 PM
He wants me to make an offer, I know he is hurting for money, Bad. Prices I have seen on the net are all over the board. So I really don't know what to offer or if i want \ need it.... take that back, I want it. I also want parts for my jeep.

wozz
01-27-2009, 07:46 PM
When I bought mine, I checked to see how the front sight was aligned with the barrel (sometimes they lean to one side or the other), cleaned grease, and metal shavings out of it and shot it.

busij44
01-27-2009, 08:40 PM
Mark, I would be very cautious about buying it. A WASR is a Romanian (commercially made, not from a military aresenal) rifle. They are notorious for being poorly made. Canted front sight bases, rough machining, poorly fitted parts, not headspaced properly (dangerous), and "trigger slap" are just some of the things to watch for. I've seen some of them that were "OK" at best and some I wouldn't spend $10.00 on. If you visit some of the AK websites (AK47.net) you'll find that WASR = (W)hat (A) (S)hitty (R)ifle. That top cover mounted scope is useless by the way. If you grab it you will probably find you can move it around without much effort = won't hold zero. Just my .02

HoodRN
01-27-2009, 09:44 PM
WASRs are pretty spotty in the quality area, although I have seen some AKs that looked like they were fabricated in shop class and they worked just fine. That said, I have a couple buddies that own WASRs and they have no complaints. I've shot the WASRs on a number of occasions, and I elected to buy a Yugo M70 UF AK.

Ragnorox
01-27-2009, 10:14 PM
Yeah Jeff I think I will pass on it....I think I see springs in my future instead :icon_winkle:

Ragnorox
01-27-2009, 10:53 PM
I guess this should be moved to the market place, If anyone is interested in this rifle I will put you in touch with the guy, He emailed me back says he would like $500. I am sure he would come down though

.J u s t i n
01-28-2009, 12:43 AM
Mark I know you said you were interested in buying some stuff for your Jeep and perhaps I should make a separate thread for this regardless but my roommate is selling his Yugo SKS.

Right now its got a telescoping synthetic stock (OD green), he still has the original wooden stock with bayonet which would be included and the best part is the serial numbers match. Bore is in great condition, Ive shot it numerous times and it is very accurate. He's also got some sight rails for it which arent on it right now but are included. Also with the synthetic stock it uses a 20 rd. mag as you can see in the pic but you can still load it up with stripper clips if need be.

Heres the pic: (shitty cellphone quality)

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e45/DC2Kid97/downsized_0127092335.jpg

He wanted around $375 for it with all that included, I can probably talk him into throwing in some ammo.

wozz
01-28-2009, 02:19 AM
Mark, I would be very cautious about buying it. A WASR is a Romanian (commercially made, not from a military aresenal) rifle. They are notorious for being poorly made. Canted front sight bases, rough machining, poorly fitted parts, not headspaced properly (dangerous), and "trigger slap" are just some of the things to watch for. I've seen some of them that were "OK" at best and some I wouldn't spend $10.00 on. If you visit some of the AK websites (AK47.net) you'll find that WASR = (W)hat (A) (S)hitty (R)ifle. That top cover mounted scope is useless by the way. If you grab it you will probably find you can move it around without much effort = won't hold zero. Just my .02

I would have to disagree. Sure the guns arn't pretty, but I didn't buy mine to look at, its a shooter pure and simple. There are some problems as you said but If it checks out, there is no reason not to buy it. I got one of the better ones, so I know that there are some out there that are ok.

As far as the scope mount, it is not useless. I have one with a red dot sight on it. I enjoy it but also like the iron sights at times. I have shot it a bunch with it on and off, and taken it off multiple times and guess what. Its as true as the day I sighted it in. I will admit that I was also skeptical at first but I know first hand that it is not a useless item.

busij44
01-28-2009, 01:08 PM
I would have to disagree. Sure the guns arn't pretty, but I didn't buy mine to look at, its a shooter pure and simple. There are some problems as you said but If it checks out, there is no reason not to buy it. I got one of the better ones, so I know that there are some out there that are ok.

As far as the scope mount, it is not useless. I have one with a red dot sight on it. I enjoy it but also like the iron sights at times. I have shot it a bunch with it on and off, and taken it off multiple times and guess what. Its as true as the day I sighted it in. I will admit that I was also skeptical at first but I know first hand that it is not a useless item.

I didn't tell him not to buy the gun, I said to "be cautious". I just gave Mark a heads up on the problems many people have had with Century WASR's, some things to look for before buying. You are fortunate to have gotten one of the "good ones". I know some people who paid good money for one and ended up with nothing but problems. Buyer beware.

As far as the scope mount, maybe you have different type/model than the ones I've had experience with. Mounting a scope on a piece of stamped steel (cover) and expecting it hold zero??

I hope Mark does buy a gun, I 'd like to see him at the next Destruct-o Thon!

wozz
01-28-2009, 07:24 PM
As far as the scope mount, maybe you have different type/model than the ones I've had experience with. Mounting a scope on a piece of stamped steel (cover) and expecting it hold zero??

I see my bad. Looking at the third picture I saw the removed cover and didn't look too closely at the scope mounts. It looks like the scope is mounted directly to the cover. My mount is a removable mount that mounts to the scope rail on the side.

busij44
01-28-2009, 07:35 PM
I guess this should be moved to the market place, If anyone is interested in this rifle I will put you in touch with the guy, He emailed me back says he would like $500. I am sure he would come down though

Mark, If you look the gun over carefully and don't see any of the mentioned problems, see if you can get it to a range and shoot it. If it functions well and you can get it for $400.00-450.00 w/accessories, that is not a bad price.

EddyB
01-28-2009, 08:45 PM
Did somebody say destruct-o-thon?