PDA

View Full Version : Rust Prevention ?

RedRaider
02-11-2009, 04:03 PM
Does anyone know of or used a product for protecting bare metal from rusting, kinda like Fast Etch, Bull Frog, or Boeshield T-9? Basically, I want to sandblast my frame to bare metal and not have to paint it and then grind off the paint prior to welding patch panels, suspension, etc. It'd be nice if the product could be removed with water or paint thinner, or even better, doesn't have to be removed to get solid welds, though unlikely. Let me know what you suggest, where I can get it, and how much it costs

Dyno Doug
02-12-2009, 11:28 AM
check out POR-15

doublejz
02-12-2009, 12:34 PM
i've used por-15 on alot of stuff and it always works. It is a bit expensive tho. Alot of people will suggest chassis saver but I have no experience with it.

SirFuego
02-12-2009, 12:51 PM
Chassis saver is great. I had my axles sandblasted and them painted with Chassis Saver -- it's holding up great. My bumpers, which were bare metal, also had chassis saver and I haven't had to do any touch ups -- and the bumpers have been dragged over rocks and taken some solid hits. It does, however, tend to chip off of stuff that flexes (like a beefy tie rod hitting a rock).

That said, it does NOT fit the requirement of being weldable or removable by paint thinner. It also acts as a non-removable temporary tattoo if you get it on your skin. Over time as the skin cells rub off, it will come off -- but that's the only way I've seen it come off.

john00TJ
02-12-2009, 11:19 PM
head over to your local autobody body supply store and pick up some acid etch primer ..thats what you want ,you wont have to remove it and can prime and paint later ...

OverkillZJ
02-12-2009, 11:27 PM
Rust Prevention: Move southwest.

Krod
02-12-2009, 11:46 PM
WD-40 and a scotch-brite pad.

Rub it in, but be prepared to clean the hell out of the metal before you prep for paint. Works surprisingly well (if you clean it off properly) and is CHEAP.

RedRaider
02-13-2009, 03:44 AM
head over to your local autobody body supply store and pick up some acid etch primer ..thats what you want ,you wont have to remove it and can prime and paint later ...

This looks like it might be the way to go. I'll have to check it out and see how much it costs. Hopefully it's not real expensive or I'll have to try the wd-40 and scotch brite suggestion

john00TJ
02-13-2009, 09:07 AM
wd-40 cause adheasion problems with paint along with a list of others if not removed ..id wouldnt combine wd40 and paint ever but thats me

wozz
02-13-2009, 05:55 PM
Well I ran into a similar problem with my scrambler being that I only get to work on it for a few weeks a year on break. After sandblasting the frame, I chose to shoot it with epoxy primer. Now I am slowly patching it. The primer definitely needs to be ground off before welding. Other than that I have had no problems with it so far.

On a side note, where I had to replace body mounts I was going to spray these areas with weldable primer so I didn't have to grind it off. Unfortunately the can ran out and I would have had to order more so I didn't do this.

Krod
02-13-2009, 06:53 PM
wd-40 cause adheasion problems with paint along with a list of others if not removed ..id wouldnt combine wd40 and paint ever but thats me

Read much?

Rub it in, but be prepared to clean the hell out of the metal before you prep for paint. Works surprisingly well (if you clean it off properly) and is CHEAP.

A weld through primer would be the best bet for longer term protection, but if we're talking short term and lots of coverage (entire frame), then a coating that can be removed without grinding or re-blasting is going to be a good option.
:045:

RedRaider
02-13-2009, 08:15 PM
I'm talking entire frame with long term coverage (at least 6 months) before all the welding is done and it's time to paint. Anyone know where I can get some weld through primer and how much is it a gallon?

john00TJ
02-14-2009, 01:30 AM
Read much?

A weld through primer would be the best bet for longer term protection, but if we're talking short term and lots of coverage (entire frame), then a coating that can be removed without grinding or re-blasting is going to be a good option.
:045:

what r u talking about ..

Barillms
02-26-2009, 08:54 PM
POR is good, but is for painting already rusted metal.
it stands for PAINT OVER RUST.

it's an acid pre spray.. which eats it..
then you wash the acid away... and goop on the POR.
It does not prevent rust... it destroys rust
for lazy people who don't like getting pieces of wire
wheel stuck in their cheeks.

Anyway... you can't prevent rust.
Your best bet is powder coat or good auto
paint. Or Paint then bedliner over top.
Good luck, nature is a bitch.