PDA

View Full Version : Tuffy Overhead Console

beat1078
02-23-2009, 11:42 AM
Ok,
I have been looking at the overhead console for my TJ since I purchased it but I hated the look of it. The one for the older Jeeps looks great and has the double bins. I like the pop up instead of the clamp close style.

Tuffy has only offered the 2 bin style for Jeeps prior to 2003 :022: so I was stuck or so I thought. I finally decided to buy one and see if I could fab. it in the Jeep and I came across this article.

http://www.higherground4x4.com/Tech_Tuffy_Overhead_Console_1.htm

Just wondering if anyone else has done this or if there were other thoughts on the procedures outlined in the link. I read it over a couple of times and aside from cutting a diamond hole in my windshield channel I am right on point with what they are saying.

I was also tossing around the option of using larger u-bolts and attaching a cross bracket into the console to avoid cutting the padding in the roll bar but after much thought it just seemed to be too much. Cutting the padding will not effect anything whatsoever.

mxracer513
02-24-2009, 12:08 AM
That's pretty cool, and quite informative. I'd like to do this to mine!

beat1078
02-26-2009, 10:00 AM
Ok, I just purchased the console from Tuffy's website. They were offering a free shipping (FedEx Ground) for the month of February for all products and I couldn't pass that up.

This weekend I will be heading to Radio Shack and PepBoys for some wiring and other components for the hookup.

Pictures to follow when I start.