PDA

View Full Version : Wellsville, Yellow Creek camping: Austin Lake

Barillms
02-26-2009, 09:28 PM
Since the river front area of Yellow Creek, Wellsville is undergoing
some surgery due to the new plant facility being built... the traditional
Yellow Creek camping area may be limited in the future. Im not sure exactly what the future holds, but I do know they are warning off roaders to stay away from the "River" property which is known as the "staging area" or the dirt area by the rail road tracks where in the past many visitors entered the "wellsville" off road area.

I wanted to mention to you about a very nice campground called Austin Lake or Lake Austin which is located about 10 minutes from the Hammondsville, OH "Forbidden Zone" entrance. Lake Austin is a civilized full blown camping community with a beautiful creek, lake, fishing ponds and thousands of acres of fun. It's an easy jaunt from Knoxville, OH to Wellsville on St. Rt. 152 to St. Rt. 213 through New Sommerset to Hammondsville and to the Wellsville off road area.

If you are looking for a well mannered, nice campground with a lake, swimming, a beach, concessoin, kayaking, paddel boats, fishing and bike riding... Austin Lake is the place to camp. Especially for families
who maybe want to wheel Sunday only, but want to camp too without all the noise and dust and drunk hillbillys.

Check it out online...
Camping rates are cheap, there are primitive lots available
as well as electric/water hook up lots. Public restrooms, a shower
house, many outhouses, and each lot has a fire place, grille and picknick table. I think the rates are approx $17 primitive a night... and $27 or so
for an electric. There are many full time campers here and it's a really nice place to stay... and they welcome respectable off roaders.

www.austinlakepark.com (http://www.austinlakepark.com)

Check it out!!!

highlandercj-7
02-28-2009, 05:26 PM
thanks for the link. Looks cool.

gonecheenin
02-28-2009, 10:25 PM
There anyway to get from that campground to Wellsville in an non-streetlegal rig without just driving down the road?

Sep
05-06-2009, 08:05 PM
I actually know the owner(s) of this place. Actually a local school teacher, great guy. The place is great!

Just figured I'd put a plug in there. And yes, there are ways to take back roads down to Wellsville where you won't get in trouble. :)