PDA

View Full Version : Cheap sway bar disconnects

jlovbasz3
03-21-2009, 02:44 PM
If you haven't seen this or never tryed it check it out
http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0WTb_rdLsVJ_xkB25.jzbkF/SIG=12bco4iaa/EXP=1237745757/**http%3A//www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/susp/ZJ_swaybar_Qdisco

mxracer513
03-21-2009, 06:12 PM
Looks like a cheap, easy, mod.

tjblair
03-21-2009, 07:06 PM
Yah, that won't make any noise driving down the road. And it definitly will not pass inspection. I laugh so hard at all of the mickey mouse shit people come up with. A good set of disco's are like $120 save the money and get real ones. IMO BDS makes the best ones out there, no pins to wrestle with. Just a ball and socket. They work great.

Krod
03-21-2009, 07:21 PM
Yah, that won't make any noise driving down the road. And it definitly will not pass inspection. I laugh so hard at all of the mickey mouse shit people come up with.

:037:

...Says the guy with a log holding on his rear axle/wheel assembly :082::082:

http://www.pgh-offroad.com/forum/image.php?u=924&dateline=1224439198

But you're right, home-brew swaybar discos seem to always be rigged. I'm not saying that they couldn't be done, but most guys go the hardware store route and sure it works, but its rigged.

tjblair
03-21-2009, 07:44 PM
:043:hey now that was a kick ass trail fix. I had heard of people doing the old log trick before, but I never thought it would work so well, ask deadman I could have drove all through the woods the rest of the day like that. but it was just a trail fix, not hacking a perfectly good jeep up shoving some hitch pins in there and calling them disco's:thumbsdown:
:037:

...Says the guy with a log holding on his rear axle/wheel assembly :082::082:

http://www.pgh-offroad.com/forum/image.php?u=924&dateline=1224439198

But you're right, home-brew swaybar discos seem to always be rigged. I'm not saying that they couldn't be done, but most guys go the hardware store route and sure it works, but its rigged.

OverkillZJ
03-21-2009, 08:29 PM
Depending on the quality of the pins used and assuming they're the same diameter as the bolt, it'll be fine... Removing a bolt is not hacking up a jeep.

tjblair
03-21-2009, 08:43 PM
Look at the picture, at the angle of the pins. Say what you want, but in my book that is hacked. And I would be really suprised if it passed Pa inspection.

tjblair
03-21-2009, 08:54 PM
Even if you would make those pins sit in there right, what about the rest of the sway bar link the top is a ball joint. So how do you tie it up? Or do you just let it dangle there in the wheel well and wait for it to catch the tire?

OverkillZJ
03-21-2009, 08:56 PM
A Jeep with no sway bar at all would pass PA inspection.

Most ZJ folks w/out wanting to dump $125 on disco's will just remove the top bolt and tie the bar up, leaving the bottom on the axle. It doesn't cause any problems.

tjblair
03-21-2009, 09:11 PM
I agree removing the top bolt wouldn't cause a problem. But if you pin the bottom and remove the pin when off road you can't swing the bar up far enough so that the tire won't hit the dangling link when the tire is turned. And if the sway bar is removed it should not pass inspection because it was originally equiped with one. That is not saying it wouldn't but by the book it shouldn't. When I first got my TJ the dealer wouldn't let it leave the lot because the first owner took off the sway bar and they would not pass it.

stumpjumper
03-21-2009, 09:36 PM
I basically have the same mickey mouse setup on my TJ for for disconnects. They work "o.k." but can be a pain in the ass sometimes. I simply drilled a hole in the stock bolt then used a washer and a hitch pin. Because there is no way to make them tight I did break one of the bolts though in huntin season trying to cross thread a drainage ditch. And they do chatter a bit driving on the road.

jlovbasz3
03-21-2009, 10:28 PM
Man talk about a tough crowd!But after looking at the picture the pins he used are way too small.I was thinking 1/2 inch pins but they are a hair too big. Btw it was just an idea really didn't mean to piss anybody off. I'm going to give it a try and see if i can improve it. 10.00 at the farm store is better than 120.00

tjblair
03-21-2009, 10:35 PM
You didn't piss me off. But I do think you would be happier with an real set of discos just mho.

tjblair
03-21-2009, 10:39 PM
If you are going to try, try to disconect them at top for preveious stated reasons.

jlovbasz3
03-21-2009, 10:57 PM
If you are going to try, try to disconect them at top for preveious stated reasons.
I see your point after looking at the jeep .

tjblair
03-21-2009, 11:10 PM
Trust me they are worth the hundred bucks or so. Like I said before I have and really like the BDS discos I think they are the only ones using the ball and socket design chech out their site. www.bdssuspension.com

tjblair
03-22-2009, 12:09 AM
Now that I think about it I think some of the older zj's and xj's don't use a ball joint type link. If that is the case and the link bolts to the sway bar then too could pivot the link out of the tires way. But they are still going to rattle when hooked up. This would not work on a tj as all tj's use a ball joint at the top of the link.

mxg342
03-22-2009, 08:40 AM
I did this when I had a TJ years ago. Seemed ok at the time. And I definately didn't have $120 to run out and blow on disconnects either.