PDA

View Full Version : Tent heaters

trailblaze
03-30-2009, 02:26 PM
any one use a coleman tent heater... the propane type?

does it work and keep the tent warmer? does it choke you up from the fumes?

tjblair
03-30-2009, 02:44 PM
Yes they work good, but you definitly have to vent the tent. Or you will wake up with a he'll of a headake, or not wake up at all.

Muzikman
03-30-2009, 02:49 PM
I have one, but not a Coleman. It's works great, however, if you try and run it all night, the tank runs out.

For the life of me I can't remember the brand or model, but I got it at HomeDepot.

I have no 4 season multi-person tents, so I have never used it in a totally sealed tent. The rest of my tents are 3 season with the majority of the tent is mesh, so it vents well and never had a problem.

trailblaze
03-30-2009, 02:54 PM
yeah the roof of mine is mesh like all the time... i doubt it would "seal" the CO2 inside.

just trying to find a solution to the freezing involved in spring/ fall camping. it was 36 degrees at night last memorial day when we camped and it's a bit earlier in the season this yr.

TimMichaels
03-30-2009, 03:05 PM
I have a small Coleman one a friend gave me as a birthday gift. Think she got it for 35 bucks or so; it's the smallest, cheapest one they had. I don't use it often but when I do it's great, and I put it through worse conditions than 30 degrees (read: in the snow.) Makes a huge difference in my 1.5 man tent and has a decent effect on my four-man tent. Ventillation is not much of a problem, even in my mostly-sealed smaller tent. I think the propane runs out on the larger ones, but with the reduced output of the smaller one one of those small green bottles can last me about 10 hours or so. They're not overly bulky but probably still too heavy for backpacking; I mostly use it when I camp from the Jeep or canoe.

36 degrees ain't bad at all though! Get yourself a good mummy bag and you will sleep comfortably every time. Spooning with a girl also helps during winter camping. But in lieu of those, I'll definitely recommend the Coleman heaters.

Muzikman
03-30-2009, 03:11 PM
I do agree, 36º would not be an issue if you use a sleeping bag designed for it.

Also, if you use an air mattress, don't. It's a lot harder to warm up the air in the mattress and you end up being cold all night. Get a closed cell foam pad or a self inflating pad like a Therm-a-rest.

TimMichaels
03-30-2009, 03:27 PM
I do agree, 36º would not be an issue if you use a sleeping bag designed for it.

Also, if you use an air mattress, don't. It's a lot harder to warm up the air in the mattress and you end up being cold all night. Get a closed cell foam pad or a self inflating pad like a Therm-a-rest.

x2. Even if you don't have one of those, lining the base of the tent with a thick movers blanket or two then laying the sleeping bags on top will help to insulate you from the ground.

Harley25
03-30-2009, 03:47 PM
Get an electric blanket and a camp site with an electrical hookup. Just ask Bill about this.

Muzikman
03-30-2009, 03:56 PM
Nothing like being electrocuted when it rains though. :)

dan58
03-30-2009, 06:05 PM
I use this one, made by Coleman:
http://info.summitcampinggear.com/images/Coleman_ProCat_Portable_Catalytic_Heater_with_Elec tronic_Ignition2.jpg

I typically don't run it all night. It heats the tent nicely, then I crawl into my sleeping bag. In the morning, I fire it up to get it nice and toasty. That said, I have a semi-mummy bag for those cold nights. I've been in it down into the low 20s, and I never have an issue (other than having to crawl out of a warm sleeping bag to recycle some beer in the middle of the night).

Bill
03-30-2009, 06:07 PM
Get an electric blanket and a camp site with an electrical hookup. Just ask Bill about this.

I have never done this...

Though I have considered it. Hell, the last camping trip to Erie we went on I should have done this. My tent warmer (READ: Michelle) was failing me.

trailblaze
03-30-2009, 07:46 PM
see if i had all the right stuff i would have been ok.

what i used was a 5 man tent with an air mattress in it. i had one sleeping bag (for 2 of us) that we folded open, then we brought along 2 comforters and another blanket. it wasn't too bad when we were asleep. but if we turned over or moved a bit the area around us under the comforters was cold, and the air in the tent was super cold on the face. i don't think i shivered while sleeping, just when i got out to piss then back in. don't have much money to spend (50 $ gift card to gander mtn) so i'm trying to get the most bang for my buck.

not using the air bed would be ok with me... but the other person would make my life more miserable not using it.. the ground is hard you guys! however, if we put a blanket down on the tent first, maybe that will help.

so for around 50 bucks i might be able to pick up a heater. or two cheaper bags. or one better one for myself!!

wozz
03-30-2009, 10:11 PM
I have no experience with them because I really wouldn't feel safe with something in my tent like that using oxygen. How ever to stay warm while camping at rausch a few weeks ago I used a therma care back rap. It was amazing.

EddyB
03-30-2009, 10:32 PM
My buddies dad used one for a while. Luckily he had a hat, glasses, and a full beard when it blew up. The tent doubled in size, then shrunk in half. Nobody knows for sure what went wrong, but I'll just stick to an extra sleeping bag and a wool blanket.

Grammar Nazi
03-30-2009, 10:42 PM
I have never done this...Though I have considered it. Hell, the last camping trip to Erie we went on I should have done this. My tent warmer (READ: Michelle) was failing me.

It was just too damn cold and not enough warm sleeping bags or enough sweatpants and socks to keep me warm!!

rokhound21
03-31-2009, 02:21 AM
This past fall while at RC it was 26 deg Fri nite, Sat nite, & then Sun morn it was 24 when we got up!! That was extremely COLD I woulda risked the co2 in the tent that nite for sure !!!!!

DeathBlade556
03-31-2009, 12:21 PM
Heat up a giant rock near the blazing inferno(camp fire) then haul it into the tent(put something underneath it so it doesn't burn a hole though the tent) . On just stay up all night tending to the camp fire(blazing inferno) I've done that last one more times than I can count.

LaurelHighTim
04-12-2009, 07:59 AM
You guys sound like a bunch of girls!

25-40 degrees is perfect sleeping weather.

You just need to make sure that you have the right kind of sleeping bag (western mountaineering, feather frends, marmot, mountain hardware) rated for the proper temperature, and with the proper clothing on underneath. Another important thing that no one mentioned here is to wear a skull cap and a pair of light weight gloves, and wool socks. You lose a ton of heat through your head, hands, and feet. Do not wear cotton T-Shirts, or cotton sweat pants or sweat shirts as these will hold moisture, and you will feel all warm wet a cozy at first, then after you wet out, the cold will start to chill down that moisture and make it ten times worse. I know all you guys got Under Armor to wear hunting bambi, try that, and if not, Mr. Walton is selling Starter Brand UA at his giant retail stores now adays for around $8 per item.

Leady
04-14-2009, 09:30 AM
I'm hesitant about buying a nice cold weather rated sleeping bag because I'll never use it in the summertime when I do the majority of my camping.

Muzikman
04-14-2009, 10:16 AM
Buy a 40º+ bag, then buy a silk liner and a bag cover, that will give you another 15º or so. A 40º bag in the spring and fall is nice, then you can use just the liner in the summer.

Muzikman
04-14-2009, 10:18 AM
Oh, and I think Big Agnes has become my favorite bag company. I just bought a King Solomon, but have not used it yet. All their bags have a pad sleeve so you can not roll off your pad. The bag is very well built and a really good price. We just need to see how it works in the real world.

BAD_GNR
04-14-2009, 10:37 AM
If you plan on doing more cold weather camping, get a better bag, or an air mattress, getting yourself up off the ground makes a world of difference.

Or, eat a lot of beans for dinner. That always seams to heat up the tent. There's a reason stufatta is the Italian word for space heater (literally translated, it's fart).

OverkillZJ
04-14-2009, 10:59 AM
You guys sound like a bunch of girls!

I was thinking the same thing, haha. I've n ever been cold in the tent in ANY crazy weather, it's getting OUT of the tent that's the problem.

trailblaze
04-14-2009, 02:09 PM
well some of us camp with girls and mine bitches about the cold...

i am usually passed out drunk and i dont wake unless i have to pee until morning.

i think we will get better bags and more booze.

OverkillZJ
04-14-2009, 02:12 PM
You should be warming her up (from the inside out) DUH!

EddyB
04-14-2009, 02:52 PM
i am usually passed out drunk and i dont wake unless i have to pee until morning.

Empty 32 oz. gatorade bottle next to the door FTW.

Muzikman
04-14-2009, 03:21 PM
well some of us camp with girls and mine bitches about the cold...

i think we will get better bags and more booze.

Right here, the Caddy of double wide sleeping bags!
http://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Bag/KingSolomon

Muzikman
04-14-2009, 03:21 PM
Empty 32 oz. gatorade bottle next to the door FTW.

I don't want no drunk chick trying to pee in a Gatorade bottle in my tent! :)

trailblaze
04-14-2009, 03:50 PM
yeah... i envision myself getting up, drunk still, unzipping my pants, shivering and pissing all over the tent and myself... then getting more cold since i'm wet....

that double bag is sweet.... but i'm on a $75-100 budget... so maybe two cheaper 40* bags...

rokhound21
04-15-2009, 02:01 AM
I was thinking the same thing, haha. I've n ever been cold in the tent in ANY crazy weather, it's getting OUT of the tent that's the problem.

Thats what I was mostly complaining about, I have a 30deg bag & wear under Armour. But the tent is screened all the way around so changing & getting in is what sux till your body warms the bag up. Then making breakfast standing in the freezing weather blows, I dont care who you are! We had a pack of bacon slide off a picknick table cause of all the frost the one morn :gear_angry::082:

trailblaze
04-15-2009, 07:53 AM
whoa... your meat slid off the table!! you should wrap is up in something...

Leady
04-15-2009, 08:33 AM
yeah dude be careful with your meat

rokhound21
04-16-2009, 02:41 AM
The picnic table has been modified to handle my meat no matter how much frost we get !

arctcknight
08-05-2010, 11:56 PM
i has one of these http://www.alaskatent.com/products/tents/arctic_oven.htm camped at denali park at -61f and witht the stove it was at 105 in the tent all night on two logs of wood best 1000 bucks ever!!!

highlandercj-7
08-06-2010, 11:41 AM
Had to look at the date on this thread. I was wondering why this question was asked in Aug lol.

For a $1000 I'm buying a camper with a furnace. For that matter ain't no way in hellz, I'm camping at -61'F.

For a tent heater check out the MrHeater's at wally world, Lowe's, Sears, Home depot, etc. I was jacked last year Lowes blew them out at an end of season sale for 30.00 (sing burner) and 60.00 (dbl burner) Guys say they work great under 10,000 ft. haha I was like something tells me, that's not going to be an issue around here.

joshs1ofakindxj
08-06-2010, 01:33 PM
This is what I use for cold weather camping...modular...warm...affordable...and camo! I took my sleep system into the Adirondacks the first week of last March and I was very comfortable sleeping in the open sided lean-to in -20 or whatever the hell temperature nights it was. A few times I had to open it up a little because I was too warm and I only had on one layer of polypro long underwear (also military surplus and a great buy). Now that I think about it, almost all my camping gear is milsurp. MOLLE pack, iso-pad, etc. Can't beat that stuff for the price. The only thing I added to the sleeping bag is one of those small compressible camping pillows and it fits in the sleeping pad.

They can be had for cheaper than the cheaper than dirt prices.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ZWB144-1.html

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd_images/lgprod/ZWB-144.jpg

Original US ECWS modular sleep system, this truly is the warmest sleeping bag, down to -30 degrees, when all pieces are used together. Sleep system includes a camo waterproof/breathable bivy, black patrol sleeping bag, and an olive intermediate sleeping bag that all packs in the compression sack. Each piece can be used individually or together to create the desired level of warmth. 84x32" tappered with boxed foot that will accommodate boots! The only sleep system you need to own, it is three bags in one, no more need for multiple temperature rated bags that take up storage space, used in good condition. Total weight, 10 pounds, all layers combined.

trailblaze
08-06-2010, 09:11 PM
a good sleeping bag is the key. you won't need a tent heater