Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Transmission flush

Thread: Transmission flush

PghOffRoad Regular

Transmission flush

I just got new tires and the guy told me i needed my transmission flushed. I'm thinking about doing it myself and saving me the money but i've never done it before. Anyone have any advice on how to do it? What kind of oil i should use? Or is this something i should leave for the pros. Dont want to eff it up as its my daily driver. Its a 1996 Cherokee with 150,000 miles. And i've had it for almost two years and i havent flushed it. Ever.
    "Cowards die many times before their actual deaths."
    -Gaius Julius Caesar

Less posting, more wheeling!
    ehhhhh first thing.... if a tire guy tells you your tranny needs flushed i'd question why?

most of the time a guy who changes tires doesn't know jack about trannys

second... at 152k i wouldn't change it. if any thing, i'd drain a small amount out and squirt some Lucas tranny treatment in there. but if it's shifting fine, leave it alone.

if you insist. dropping the pan and changing the filter is not too hard. use rtv to seal it back up and add some ATF fluid. it's not a complete flush, but it will fresh up maybe 1/3 of the fluid.

i wouldn't completly flush it.

With 150k miles, if the fluid isnt cherry red/pinkish anymore dont even bother flushing/changing the fluid.

Any kind of damage caused by old fluid has already happened.

However, if your fluid still has some color to it, use ONLY DEXRON/MERCON III. ATF will destory the AW4 pretty quickly. If you change it yourself you'll have to drop the pan and change the filter and drain whatever fluid comes out. Drive it for a week or so then re-drain/re-fill. You may have to do this several times until you get all of the old fluid out. Im sure theres more detailed write-ups on NAXJA or JeepForum.

Trail Leader
    if it is not giving you any problems and seems to shift ok, I wouldn't mess with it.. I have run the same tranny fluid for close to 300k miles on the company vans.. just my .02

I'm jealous that my subtible is lame.
    Did you tell the guy to STFU?! because you brought your vehicle there for tires, not his half-assed maintenance advice?

x300 If it shifts fine leave it be.

Quote Originally Posted by xjchris98 View Post
    however, if your fluid still has some color to it, use only dexron/mercon iii. Atf will destory the aw4 pretty quickly. If you change it yourself you'll have to drop the pan and change the filter and drain whatever fluid comes out. drive it for a week or so then re-drain/re-fill. You may have to do this several times until you get all of the old fluid out. im sure theres more detailed write-ups on naxja or jeepforum.
    x2
    Heat the hole freeze the shaft

Quote Originally Posted by skeebs View Post
    Did you tell the guy to STFU?! because you brought your vehicle there for tires, not his half-assed maintenance advice?

x300 If it shifts fine leave it be.

Chances are the tire guy was just doing his job...as most 'shops' do. Even if you just go in for an oil change most places will check your lights, tires, brakes, etc. Some places do it to try and get more money...others just do it as a courtesy for you as a customer.

I'm jealous that my subtible is lame.
    Quote Originally Posted by XJchris98 View Post
    Chances are the tire guy was just doing his job...as most 'shops' do. Even if you just go in for an oil change most places will check your lights, tires, brakes, etc. Some places do it to try and get more money...others just do it as a courtesy for you as a customer.
    Not to go too off the handle but:

IMO, most will just randomly say shit like this (without really checking anything) just to make $, trying to "take" people that don't know any better. I witnessed the idiots at the NTB in Greensburg never check anything on my vehicle when I was in there for tires (they have a big window in the waiting area that you can wacth everyone in the garage) and come to me with the paperwork to pay for my car and say "looks like you need an oil change and a radiator flush" I said "Horseshit, I change the oil myself and I just did it recently and the radiator was flushed less then 3 months prior. If you actually popped the hood you would have seen that on the lable I placed on the resevoir to remind myself." Paid walked out, never went back.

been thinking about doing it in the YJ, it seems to slip occasionally, nothing serious (i hope) when I back up and drift (if you will) it doesn't engage right away. Can't think of any other way of putting it. and it doesn't do it all the time just kinda randomly. Not sure if it needs bands adjusted or a filter change
    trailphotos.ragnorox.com
    A wise man once said: "Fighting on the internet is like the special Olympics; even if you win, you're still retarded."
    "I just don't get all the hype over it. If it doesn't make me a sammich or go down on me, I'm not going to rant and rave about it."
    -OverkillZJ

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnorox View Post
    been thinking about doing it in the YJ, it seems to slip occasionally, nothing serious (i hope) when I back up and drift (if you will) it doesn't engage right away. Can't think of any other way of putting it. and it doesn't do it all the time just kinda randomly. Not sure if it needs bands adjusted or a filter change

I'm not sure I'd touch that Mark. I've changed a few filters on different jeeps and they've always come out clean as a whistle, regardless of the fluid condition. You might want to try swaping the fluid and putting a cooler on it but it might also do more harm than good.

Like said above, if the tranny is bad, it's going to go if the fluid's new or not.

well I guess when it goes, I do the engine/drive train sooner than later
    trailphotos.ragnorox.com
    A wise man once said: "Fighting on the internet is like the special Olympics; even if you win, you're still retarded."
    "I just don't get all the hype over it. If it doesn't make me a sammich or go down on me, I'm not going to rant and rave about it."
    -OverkillZJ

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    I had 140,000 on mine when I changed mine, but all I did was pull the drain plug and refill it. If you're not having any problems with it that's all I would do. Most of those shop guy's don't know what they're talking about, just trying to make a commission. IF they did know what they were saying then they wouldn't even mention a flush on a vehicle with 150,000 miles on it.
    [quote=OverkillZJ;182503]You poopstick![/quote] [quote=Gibson;183934]i cant get my nut off, my hand is to damn big.[/quote] '94 XJ sport, 4 dr, 4.5" RC lift,and a Logan's front bumper.

I'll let ya in on a little ghetto trick somebody told me, that I've seen work. If a tranny is just starting to slip, you can add some stuff to it. Of course lucas comes to mind, but the good stuff is an additive for posi rear ends. It's called friction modifer, comes in a very small can maybe about 4 ounces, and smells BAD!!!!

A little bit of that should do the trick, but if it's really slipping there is no magic cure for it. This is more for one that is just at the edge and needs help.

hmm never heard of anyone putting FM in their tranny to stop slippage.

yeah but if you think about how posi's work, they have clutches and need friction to work properly. The bands in a transmission are the same way.

Less posting, more wheeling! gonecheenin's Avatar
    Friction modifier is to make them break free easier to keep posi's from chattering, not gain friction

As for the fluid changing, I'm a big believer in fresh fluids. Sure there are those that can run a vehicle for 300,000 miles without ever even changing the oil, but then again there are many that made it 60,000 miles & needed a new engine.

IMHO, if a proper fluid change (IE: you didn't do something stupid or use the wrong fluid) causes a component to go bad, you had a junk component already & should be happy you found this out in your driveway rather than in North Carolina heading home for work Monday.

Thread Information