Thread: Brake lines

Noob!

Brake lines

hi, im matt and i drive a 1997 ford ranger and in less than a month im going to be putting on a 6" lift kit. has anybody ever had any brake line trouble with a 6" kit with your vehicle or would i have to buy any type of relocating brackets or brake line extensions?

Less posting, more wheeling! joshs1ofakindxj's Avatar
    You will need longer brake lines. I'm not sure about Ranger's but for Cherokees you can lower the mounts by straightening the hard lines and you can swap in longer Wrangler lines. I'm sure there are similar solutions for you.

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore! limegreentj's Avatar
    definitely need longer lines...get stainless steel braided lines if you can
    98 xj- project dad's baby hauler-3 inch skyjacker lift 31 inch at's custom bumper

00 xj- opposite sex-j or wife-j

97 tj-summer fun toy. 33's 4 inch lift custom tube fenders, custom armor and stuff.

Originally Posted by [B]dangerranger44[/B]
    i know how the thornbirds suck offroad and all that. but they ride good and they make any truck look badass though.

Less posting, more wheeling! joshs1ofakindxj's Avatar
    ^waste of money IMO.

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    A quick look in my BDS book and there 6in lift does not come with brake lines. I install alot of their kits and they are pretty good at giving you every thing you need. So my guess is you can get away with relocation brackets.
    2000tj on D60's, custom long arms, 3link front, four link rear both locked with a 231/300 doubler twin sticked, Full Hydro steering, on 38 in boggers

Noob!
    alright, thanks alot guys, if i had to take the route of getting new lines, is there just extentions that go in towards the end of the line or do i have to replace all of the lines, and by any chance you guys know how much that would cost for those extensions?

If you had to you would only replace the hoses ont the lines, but I dont think you will need to.
    2000tj on D60's, custom long arms, 3link front, four link rear both locked with a 231/300 doubler twin sticked, Full Hydro steering, on 38 in boggers

Noob!
    ok thanks man, i was under there today and there was a pretty good amount of slack and just about every 6" lift i looked at did not include any type of rolocation brackets or extended brake lines (speaking more of lower level kits) so i think i should be good too. Another simple question, for removing some of the old riveted brackets, do you think a good method would be to chisel or cut the heads off and then hit the rest through with a punch or do you know of any other more effective way to removing some of these rivets.
    thanks,
    matt

Drill the heads and them knock what's left out with an air chisel.

Noob!
    what if the bit goes a bit off center and i happen to damage the factory fram hole? i've heard of this method a lot, but i never tried it myself

You want to start with a 1/8 pilot bit. Only try to drill through the head of the rivet. Work your way up to a bigger bit. Once you get to about a 7/16 the head will usueally just fall off. If it doesn't the hole you drilled will make it much easier to air chisel the heas of the rivet off.

Noob!
    ok thanks alot, since these are frame rivets which hold on my radius arms, will the rest of the rivet come out with just a punch?

Trail Leader
    PLASMA them off....

do what TJBLAIR said it's a better way of doing it.

Noob!
    alright thanks, will do

Thread Information