Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I've been screwed

Less posting, more wheeling!

I've been screwed

I'm trying to get that 350 TBI in my jeep. The flywheel that was on my 305 is the wrong bolt pattern for the newer 350's. We've looked through numerous parts books, and i've found numerous flywheels that will bolt up but my clutch won't bolt to it. I just bought a new clutch and flywheel for an 88-90 k1500 and it's a bigger diameter flywheel. The clutch works for the input shaft of my trans but neither of the starters that I have will work. Is there a starter that I can get that is offset farther from the block? Why does God hate me?

4wd has a conversion flywheel however it'll be weeks before it's in stock and I need to have my jeep together for the first outback adventure. Anyone have any ideas? I'm desperate

thanks, brent
    2007 Quad cab frontier LE
    1998 wrangler with pink wheel centers (hers)
    2004 trx450r stress reliever.

why not take the flywheel that bolts to one and not the other to the machine shop. Tell them what bolt pattern you will need and have them cut it for you. They could even do a cut and tap if you need the clutch bolts done. Expect them to hit you with a set up fee for them just to do one part, but it should easily be less than $100 bucks to have a pro do it.

Less posting, more wheeling! joshs1ofakindxj's Avatar
    ^X2 what he said. drill and tap something damnit

Brent, Call Jacksons Machineing in Kittanning. good work.
    http://www.localcarsdealers.com/penn...p-service.html
    99'tj 5'' locked cocked and ready to rock...on 35's---sold
    05 rubicon soon to come

[I]You're keyboard must be different from mine... I have [B]F1[/B], [B]F2[/B], etc. I don't see an [B]FU[/B] key...[/I]

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.

Premium Supporting Member OverkillZJ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by joshs1ofakindxj View Post
    ^x2 what he said. Drill and tap something damnit

Less posting, more wheeling! gonecheenin's Avatar
    Make sure your flywheel matchs the engine

If you have a 2 pc rear main your flywheel is balanced independt of your rotating assembly. But if you have a one pc rear main, your flywheel is what actually completes the rotating assemblys balance!

i found a flywheel and starter that will work, hopefully. I'm having my dad drop it off at Hoffman's to get resurfaced tomorrow. Hopefully they will have it done when I get out of work and I'll be able to get the flywheel clutch and starter on the engine and start making some progress. I've got a lot of people putting pressure on me to get my jeep running. hopefully something will work out. Thanks for all the input guys

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! mxg342's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sycotik Skier View Post
    i found a flywheel and starter that will work, hopefully. I'm having my dad drop it off at Hoffman's to get resurfaced tomorrow. Hopefully they will have it done when I get out of work and I'll be able to get the flywheel clutch and starter on the engine and start making some progress. I've got a lot of people putting pressure on me to get my jeep running. hopefully something will work out. Thanks for all the input guys

Not sure who's putting pressure on you but don't rush. You'll end up taking more time correcting your mistakes than doing it right the first time.
    84 CJ7 with some stuff....

2005 Dodge - Tow Pig 462/865

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    what transmission do you have?

i don't remember if it's the t4 or the t178.

Pressure wise. My parents are putting a lot of pressure on me to get it back together (I still live at home) The don't like how I have two engines sitting in the driveway along with my fenders, and other various parts I've removed in the process of pulling the engine. I'm catching hell from a couple of guys that i wheel with since my jeep is always under the knife. Friday will be two years that I've owned the jeep and I haven't put 4K on it yet.

I'm not rushing per say. I'm thinking a lot of this through as I do it so that I don't have to go back and redo stuff.

Trail Leader
    Just to make it clear. No pressure from me. You have a mountain of work infront of you, don't get burnt out. Now for the pressure. Be at my house 6:30 AM to pedal to work.
    Mj- on jack stands

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Hey Brent, I've been busting my butt to try and get my rig done to. I got crap everywhere and the wife still lives here for now. Hope to see ya at the first Outback adventure!!!
    [FONT=Arial Black][COLOR=#2f4f4f][SIZE=3]Build Thread of my first Project[/SIZE]:[/COLOR][COLOR=#fffacd][URL]http://www.pgh-offroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10689[/URL][/COLOR][/FONT]

I've been wondering how yours is coming along. hopefully I'll make some head way tonight. I have like two weeks left. and I think i have the majority of the problems figured out now

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    I'm painting it this weekend and putting it back together. I have not seen one this color running around, so hopefully I'm the only one. I also have an appointment Tuesday to get an exhaust ran and inspection on Thursday. I will be putting in some long days.

LAter on
    [FONT=Arial Black][COLOR=#2f4f4f][SIZE=3]Build Thread of my first Project[/SIZE]:[/COLOR][COLOR=#fffacd][URL]http://www.pgh-offroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10689[/URL][/COLOR][/FONT]

Trail Leader
    Purple? I loved how your daughter would get all excited. ITS BLUE!
    Mj- on jack stands

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Not cobalt blue this time. I went a little brighter. Not to happy how it turned out tonight. Guess I will wet sand before the second coat.

well i thought I had all my problems figured out and finally tried to get the engine into the jeep. The flywheel i picked up is too big by like a quarter inch and won't go into my bellhousing. It's from an 89 k1500 with a three fifty. It's an eleven inch clutch. I'm hoping a flywheel out of an 89 camaro will be my solution since it runs a 10.4" clutch which is the stock jeep clutch.

Any suggestions?

what bellhousing do you have? IIRC from my initial research, an 11" clutch was too big to fit in most bellhousings other than the lakewood conversion bellhousing. id say get the setup from the camaro

I don't know what bellhousing I have. When I got the jeep it had the 305 in it. hopefully the camaro set up will work.

89 camaro with 305 flywheel and a stock 82 cj7 clutch worked for me. The engine is now sitting between my frame rails. Next step is plumbing, wiring, and cooling. 9 days to go

youll get it youy always do
    05 rubicon soon to come

[I]You're keyboard must be different from mine... I have [B]F1[/B], [B]F2[/B], etc. I don't see an [B]FU[/B] key...[/I]

it's always a last minute ordeal no matter how many times I say it won't happen again but after finally getting the engine in I'm a lot more optimistic

yea i see your point there when me and a friend used to flat track our quads he blew his up the night before the race so we over nighted a new jug piston and head and we put it all together at the race and he ended up taking 2nd ahaha.
    05 rubicon soon to come

Trail Leader
    Glad to see you took my advice and ditched the girl tonight to do research. If she likes you she'll understand.

I had fun with the bent 3 wheeled hoist. I can try to make my schedule fit yours if you need any more help.
    Mj- on jack stands

so here's what i'm thinking. I've been researching wiring harnesses and well I'm running out of money and time. I should be able to trace all the wires from the sensors I need from the sensors to the computer and just cut and terminate everything else right? From my research it seems like everyone is using an aftermarket harness such as one from Painless, AFI, or Howell so I'm having trouble finding an answer to my wiring questions. But all the after market harnesses only have the needed wiring to make them run and don't use anything else so i shouldn't have a problem if I just modify the harness I have? Am I making sense? Regardless I hope to have the engine running by the end of the weekend

Thread Information