Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Lift kit for 93 Grand Cherokee

Thread: Lift kit for 93 Grand Cherokee

Lift kit for 93 Grand Cherokee

Hey guys, Looking for someone in the know about Grand Cherokees...... I have a 93 with a 5.2L and the full-time 4WD that I was figuring on lifting and making a rock crawler out of. Problem is the most suspension lift I can find for this year is 4" and I was wanting to go 6" . I also wanted to stay away from the body lift , as they look like hell in my opinion. Anyways, I did find one manufacturer that makes a 6.5" suspension lift for the 97-04 Grand Cherokees, and was wondering what's different between these years and mine, and what parts I'd need off of a newer jeep to make this lift work on mine? I have a connection that can get me all the running gear I need from a newer Jeep (Cheap) if I have to go this route. Anyways, Thanks Guys..... Jim

http://www.pgh-offroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=416

Welcome NOOB. Body lift? Its a unibody...there is no way to lift the body away from the frame, as it doesn't have one. You can find lots on info on www.nagca.com/forum
    If I wanted to hear from an ass, I'd fuckin fart.

'01 Silverado 2500HD crew, D.D./tow pig.

'86 Jeep MJ longbed 2wd SLOWLY evolving to '99 4wd <--FOR SALE

Quote Originally Posted by john00TJ View Post
    i wouldnt let that dude paint my mail box, but whatever

Premium Supporting Member OverkillZJ's Avatar
    If the 6.5" you're referring to is made by a company called "rockcrawler" - skip it, and go straight to http://claytonoffroad.com/

Most of NAGCA will tell you the same (I've brainwashed them well).

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    I think you should go with the body lift.
    2000tj on D60's, custom long arms, 3link front, four link rear both locked with a 231/300 doubler twin sticked, Full Hydro steering, on 38 in boggers

Less posting, more wheeling!
    http://www.nagca.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21827
    Read that first. Then tell me if you want to lift it 6".

If you really want to go 6" and don't have the fab skills/knowledge to build your own, then IMO there is only one option:
    www.claytonoffroad.com

What tire size do you plan on running? What kind of trails do you want to run? What about your axles?
    Last edited by SirFuego; 05-26-2009 at 03:23 PM.
    [URL="http://www.pgh-offroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7670"][/URL]

I remember when Ron posted that on Mallcrawlin originally, not long before his serious of "high off his ass" posts, but at least he got this one right!

By the way, you're better off at 3-4" while you learn about modifying a vehicle like that anyway.

I've built my 97 Grand from 31" tires up to a buggy on 42's - and I'll be the first to tell you it is an EXPENSIVE platform to modify.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! TimMichaels's Avatar
    Matt's right. Take it from another ZJ owner that it's truly best to start small. If it's still your DD (Daily Driver,) I highly recommend staying relatively low for now as the problems that arise on the ZJ after a lift make driving in it all the time a total pain. It's also a better way to learn more about your rig, what you want to do with it, and how hard you will wheel it. You may even want to start at just 2" like I did.

If the kit is only good from 97-04 then it is probably a long arm kit that utilizes the cross-member as a mounting point for the front control arms. IIRC they changed the transmission mounting on top of that cross-member between 96-97.

But really. Start small. It's best to learn first, since (based on your notion of using a body lift on a uni-body rig) that you are pretty new to the Grand Cherokee world.

Good luck.
    Tally-ho!
    -Crash
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    www.captaincrash.net

Less posting, more wheeling! JeepSteeler's Avatar
    ^ x2. I have a 2" coil lift, which actually gave me about 3" of lift on my 95 ZJ. Plenty to fit some nice 31's without much trimming, and I'm able to negotiate most trails that are on the lower end of the difficulty scale. I tow a lot with it, so I didn't want to ruin the street manners. But even with that little bit of lift, my steering got a little more sloppy, so I then had to get some new bushings, thicker swaybar, thicker trackbar, etc. It's the old "for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction"...

It's not my DD, but if it was it would kinda suck. Keep that in mind.

"Freedom is something that dies unless its used" -HST

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore! limegreentj's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OverkillZJ View Post
    By the way, you're better off at 3-4" while you learn about modifying a vehicle like that anyway.

I've built my 97 Grand from 31" tires up to a buggy on 42's - and I'll be the first to tell you it is an EXPENSIVE platform to modify.

x10 dont just take it from zj owners, take it from anyone who has ever driven/wheeled a lifted rig....start small and then go bigger slowly, i'd hate to see all the hard work and money you put into your jeep go down the drain when it gets rolled over or something
    98 xj- project dad's baby hauler-3 inch skyjacker lift 31 inch at's custom bumper

00 xj- opposite sex-j or wife-j

97 tj-summer fun toy. 33's 4 inch lift custom tube fenders, custom armor and stuff.

Originally Posted by [B]dangerranger44[/B]
    i know how the thornbirds suck offroad and all that. but they ride good and they make any truck look badass though.

Less posting, more wheeling!
    I love the longer wheelbase of a ZJ, but that also means you are more likely to bottom out than a Wrangler or XJ, so skid plates are a must.

The body of a ZJ is much wider than Wranglers and XJs, so rock rails, bumpers, and other protection is a good idea unless you plan to take it on the path to buggydom. Trees loved to attack my front and rear quarter panels.
    [URL="http://www.pgh-offroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7670"][/URL]

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    I mean you could always do something along these lines.

http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch..._Code=IR-Z_3LK

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    I think this is one of the better lifts for the money
    http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_zj_4.html
    some of the things i would add to that lift are front and rear adjustable trac bars,and drop pitman arm.

Less posting, more wheeling! gonecheenin's Avatar
    intro ZJ lift equals 2" BB (or front to rear swap with 2-3" pucks in front) all the way IMHO

throw in cheap & easy lift noted above, add 2" bump stop drop blocks up front, buy cheap 3" longer parts store rear shocks, add shock extensions up front or get 2-3" longer parts store shocks for there too, crank caster bolts too max, reset toe, & add a HD steering stabalizer (I suggest OME of course)

Thats all the mods you need to have a little fun offroad, keep it driveable every day, & make it easy to put back to stock should you hate it

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    BTW, all i have on my zj is a 2'' BB with 31" claws and its open at both ends. It does pretty good offroad,but if your new to this sport start small and learn then go from there.I started out in a stock samurai that turned into this

Hope your truck project looks good - happy lifting the truck would really surprise everyone especially for the jeep grand cherokee

Quote Originally Posted by mikehutton View Post
    Hope your truck project looks good - happy lifting the truck would really surprise everyone especially for the jeep grand cherokee

Less posting, more wheeling! gonecheenin's Avatar

BTW: Is that Samuri dude still around? I wanna ask him how he likes those Parnelli Jones Dirt Grips (I'm considering those or ProComp Extreme mud's for my street YJ).

hahahaha

Hey Jay, he is still around on here.
    97 XJ Clayton Longarms 35s locked etc.
    94 YJ MTO
    98 5.9 ZJ Limited alllll original
    02 Cummins 6spd HO Studs, Sticks, Box, Pump...

Thread Information