Thread: Proportioning Valves

Less posting, more wheeling! joshs1ofakindxj's Avatar

Proportioning Valves

So I'm putting rear disc brakes on the 89 XJ, and therefore putting in a proportioning valve (PV) from the grand cherokee I got the disc brakes from.

The old PV in my NON-ABS 89 XJ has two connections for the front brakes and 1 connection for the rear brakes.

The PV from the ABS 96 ZJ has 1 connection for the front and 1 connection for the rear. Where the 2nd connection for the front is located there is a threaded plug for something but it does not appear to be a place to connect the other front brake line because it doesn't look like a seat for a double-flared connection.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

So do I need to find a PV from a NON-ABS ZJ with disc brakes?

OR

Can I run one brake line front the PV's single front brake connection and then use a "T"-connector to split the line into the two lines needed for the front? Would that be bypassing something in the ABS unit or non-ABS PV that I'm missing?

Thanks.

I would just get a universal one from wilwood, they really are not that expensive and they are adjustable. Regardless of what you get, an adjustable one will be better since you no longer have a stock setup anyway.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    I ordered one from summit and ran lines into the cab so I could adjust it easily.
    [FONT=Arial Black][COLOR=#2f4f4f][SIZE=3]Build Thread of my first Project[/SIZE]:[/COLOR][COLOR=#fffacd][URL]http://www.pgh-offroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10689[/URL][/COLOR][/FONT]

So do you adjust it so that there is less rear braking pressure than in the front?

Just take the front nut off of the proportioning valve you got from the zj and a shaft and spring will come out...put those in your proportioning valve and you'll be good to go.
    00 Cherokee Sport

_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)

Less posting, more wheeling!
    Dumb question, I'm guessing to replace the inners of the prop valve you have to bleed the breaks again?

I never did do the prop valve but I may give it a try.

Yes, you do have to bleed everything.

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore! limegreentj's Avatar
    the brakes in my old cherokee never worked right...i assumed it was the prop valve....but never replaced it (i just got rid of the jeep) now my sister has a cherokee and hers is the same way...any of you guys with xjs have problems with the fronts working fine and the rears working like dog shit? i think they replaced the prop. valve and they still work terrible
    98 xj- project dad's baby hauler-3 inch skyjacker lift 31 inch at's custom bumper

00 xj- opposite sex-j or wife-j

97 tj-summer fun toy. 33's 4 inch lift custom tube fenders, custom armor and stuff.

Originally Posted by [B]dangerranger44[/B]
    i know how the thornbirds suck offroad and all that. but they ride good and they make any truck look badass though.

Make sure the rear drums are adjusted...I'm not sure, I got tired of playing that game so I said forget it and got the disc brakes.

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore! limegreentj's Avatar
    the rear drums are adjusted....they just dont work....so yours did it too then?
    98 xj- project dad's baby hauler-3 inch skyjacker lift 31 inch at's custom bumper

00 xj- opposite sex-j or wife-j

97 tj-summer fun toy. 33's 4 inch lift custom tube fenders, custom armor and stuff.

Originally Posted by [B]dangerranger44[/B]
    i know how the thornbirds suck offroad and all that. but they ride good and they make any truck look badass though.

Less posting, more wheeling!
    Drums on any car don't work like the fronts. I'd say it's 60% front 40% rear, even when adjusted correctly.

My old jeep would drag the front tires while going backward in the snow. Needless to say it needed an adjustment but they never worked that great.

Yes, and when I looked at the brakes after a period of time I could see the rear shoe was contacting metal to metal at the top of the shoe and the front shoe was not contacting anything. I don't know what was up with that but I said screw it.

Thread Information