Thread: GroundHog Hunting Areas??

GroundHog Hunting Areas??

Hi,
    I recently have been spending a lot of time back in Western PA with my parents due to being medically retired from my LEO job. 20 years ago, around Beaver County there were enough places that my dad and I could drive around in my lifted K5, sniping "hogs" and having a good father/son time. Last summer I almost lost my dad, and the one thing he loves more than anything is hunting...and he hasnt been released to go deer or bear hunting again yet (has had to cancel multiple committments over the last year). He loves groundhog hunting though, just going out being my spotter, driving around with bino's around his neck, just loving it. We also used to spend a great deal of time in Ohio hunting woodchucks growing up, but right now he wouldnt be good for a few hour drive out there, hunting all day, and coming back.

So does anyone know of any good crop farms with hunter friendly farmers who want to get rid of some groundhogs?? Ive been taking my dad out in my TJ, and most of the fields we used to hunt are posted now, or grown over and not being farmed, or neighborhoods have been built or are currently being built...

On that same note, any other ideas or areas close to Beaver County I might be able to do some sort of hunting with my dad this summer when I visit the folks.

Thanks!

Smart phone, dumb Wrecker! Wrecker's Avatar
    Groundhogs are a problem for farmers. Maybe call the game commision or a farmers group. They might have someone who would love some help. And they are good to eat.
    Gotta be a special place in heaven for those girls who believe in making a lot of guys happy instead of making one miserable

Free Frank!

Thanks, Ill do that....wow, Ive shot hundreds and hundreds of groundhogs as a kid growing up in Ohio and PA (born PA, ES/MS in Ohio, back to PA for HS), but never ate one. A few times there were migrant farm workers who would ask us if we got real young ones, but other than that we stuffed them back in the holes (thats what some farmers told us to do hoping other hogs wouldnt use that hole). They told me as a kid each hog ate 10lbs of produce a day, and I did know farmers who flipped tractors from the ground collapsing, or livestock breaking legs in the wholes. Less farms though north of Pitt that I know of though than I did back in Ohio.

Thanks for the tip though Ill jump on it!

Smart phone, dumb Wrecker! Wrecker's Avatar
    Real tender meat. All they eat is grass and such. Cook just like a roast.
    Gotta be a special place in heaven for those girls who believe in making a lot of guys happy instead of making one miserable

Free Frank!

Thread Information