Thread: Returning to Area-4x4 shops and local trails??

Returning to Area-4x4 shops and local trails??

Hi,
    Im a Western PA native but have been gone for a long long time. This summer will be home for a short stretch, and visiting my parents more often. Heading out west coast for about a year but planning on moving back to the WV/PA area next year.

My folks are in Beaver County, a few questions...good local 4x4 shop to do repairs or mods that is reliable? Down here in the DC area there are some great shops, and some really horrific hack job shops...until you live here a while and make mistakes, or join a club and get to know people, its hard to figure it out quickly. If I need any work done on my TJ or WJ, any suggestions for down to earth, honest and trustworthy 4x4 shops?

Also, what are some of the more popular legal wheeling areas, and how often do guys from this site go out together? How about ATV riding?

And, I posted in another section but in case people do not go to the Outdoor threads, any leads on good groundhog hunting or other varmit hunting areas?

Thanks a ton!!!

Less posting, more wheeling! joshs1ofakindxj's Avatar
    Welcome to the board. There are outings now and then. We don't share trail locations until we meet someone at a meet and greet and verify they're not a looney. There is some good ATVing riding around. I don't think many on here do a lot, but I have been getting back into it more now that my jeep sees a lot more highway miles.

And I have no clue on shops because I do my own work, but someone can recommend some place.

Thank you I appreciate it. Ill probably be back in town for a few weeks starting next week. Id love to hook up at a meet and greet or anyone who might be close enough to Beaver County and feel like meeting up somewhere.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! mxg342's Avatar
    BeaveRun Raceway is having a Dirt Days event this weekend. It's a pretty good time.
    84 CJ7 with some stuff....

2005 Dodge - Tow Pig 462/865

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Replied to your PM about places you used to hit. Sorry to say most of it is now off limits.

I forgot I also hit up Beaverun a few times a year, costs a few bucks but nice legal trails and good people to deal with.

As far as shops, there are a few around but none that really stand out in this area. Depends on what you need. I do all my own work too.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    You'll have better luck getting the work down down in MD before you move up here. www.novajeepers.com will have some ideas for you in the NOVA area. In Burtonsville, you can go to www.adrenalineoffroad.com As for FAB shops that are good at just about everything, I'd HIGHLY recommend www.appalachianoffroad.com in Westminster. They're turning out some quality buggies, cages, etc these days. Mike is a helluva nice guy.

Thanks. Yes Im a NOVA Jeeper/Beltway Jeeper guy myself. Im going to miss my buddies who do all the work for me for next to nothing....and in a pinch there are the shops you mentioned above nearby as well Hi Tech in Chantilly (pricey but do a good job).

Guess Ill have to cross my fingers I dont break anything too soon hahah, or if I want to get things put on maybe make weekend trips back to my friends in NOVA who work on Jeeps 24-7.

Gosh so no real hard core 4x4 shops in Western PA? There seems to be a lot more 4x4s, hunters, pick up truck drivers, etc, here, than there are in DC metro, figured there would be some decent shops known for building wheeling rigs or something.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    There might be some little shops, but I can't say I'd trust any of them. Most people work on their own stuff (sometimes good, often scary as hell). You'd be surprised at how many wheelers live in the NOVA/MD area. I lived there for 7 years and am still a BOD member for MC. There's no wheeling, but there are a ton of wheelers from the area.
    Last edited by dan58; 06-09-2009 at 07:46 AM.

Trail Leader
    doesn't meridian offroad do the kind of work he's lookin for?
    97 tahoe 8" lift w/ 37" tires
    07 toyota fj
    02 avalanche 2500
    97 xj

MC is a great site....yes I find it funny, I had to drive 2 hours to GWF to wheel, so my TJ just sat 98% of the time here except for quick errand trips now and again to keep it running....back in western PA, I can still go find a mudhole or hillclimb 10 minutes from my parents house, or worst case drive a little further and go to some private property where my dad has permission to hunt and get some mud on the tires....DC metro area has no quick little mudholes to play in, but there are a ton of Jeepers down here...tons...how many actually wheel I do not know hahah, alot of people have cash and like to look cool...

I wish I had tools or could work on my Jeeps myself, but I do not have the knowledge or time...so I know it may sound wussy or what not, but Ive always been lucky to have friends who know how to work on things so I just pay them and help out with the grunt work...figured if I needed things done to the TJ in Pitt there would be some hard core 4x4 shops!

I just want to do some little things to my TJ come fall or winter, probably could have a local regular mechanic shop do things, but would rather find a nice Jeep shop who lives and breathes the lifestyle. I was thinking about lifting my WJ 3", putting some skids and sliders, and a front bumper on it, but might wait until I get to LA to do that. Plenty of shops out there, but my TJ is staying in storage in Pitt so when I come home I can wheel and hunt!!

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    Quote Originally Posted by aquaholic View Post
    doesn't meridian offroad do the kind of work he's lookin for?
    You sir are correct, we sure do!
    2000tj on D60's, custom long arms, 3link front, four link rear both locked with a 231/300 doubler twin sticked, Full Hydro steering, on 38 in boggers

Thread Information