Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Rustoleum Bed Liner

Thread: Rustoleum Bed Liner

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! HeepH8erTy's Avatar

Rustoleum Bed Liner

Anyone use rustoleum bedliner? I went to autozone the other day trying to get some duplicolor bedliner to paint my grill with and found that autozone no longer sells it. They did however have the rustoleum brand bedliner, which i have never seen before. So i bought some, figuring it HAD to be better then the duplicolor crap. Turns out, ITS AWESOME. i love the shit, its definitly a 100 times better than that duplicolor crap. Its got a super nice sandpaper like finish, goes on real thick, and seems like its pretty durable. I think im going to go over all the duplicolor bedlined stuff on my truck with it.

One caution though, if you are using it, it does come out pretty heavy and runs easily (I'm not a very patient painter though, super light coats take too long haha). I got a couple big sags wen i was using it. The good thing is, i was able to wipe the sags with a rag, paint over it again, and now you cant even tell they were ever there. I love this stuff. I figured id post up on here incase anyone was wondering what it was like. Its good stuff!

And also, I'm just talking about the bedliner that comes out of the spray can. I dunno if anyone has used the brush on duplicolor and liked it, but i think their spray stuff sucked, it was too smooth, and chipped off fairly easily if you didnt prep the surface very well. This spray stuff... seems a lot different and a lot better.
    02 ZR2 Sonoma- 4.3, 5spd, DD/Bike Hauler
    07 TRX400EX- XRC-ish woods krewser
    04 KX220 Hybrid Woods Weapon
    97 KDX220 Plated Street/Woods beater

Need some Powder Coating done? Let me know!

Trail Leader
    wait, why are you putting bedliner on anything, your not going to wheel it...queer
    '72 steyr-puch pinzgauer 710m. factory selectable lockers front and rear, shift on the fly 4x4, 2 speed transfer case, 5 speed w/ granny gear. and its purple

Less posting, more wheeling! JeepSteeler's Avatar
    I used both brands on my trailer just this past weekend. Figured it would be a little more chip resistent than regular old paint. Towing on dirt roads with the ZJ with 31" AT's and no mudflaps sandblasts the thing. I ran out of Duplicolor and bought Rustoleum to finish it off.

I agree, the Rustoleum seems to be a little better product. The Duplicolor seems a little softer, maybe a little more rubbery. You could definitely tell the difference between the two. Advance Auto does carry the Duplicolor still.

Rustoleum is on sale at Lowe's right now for about $6.75 a can. Not bad at all. I'm going to re-coat the Duplicolor part of the trailer with the Rusty.

"Freedom is something that dies unless its used" -HST

Thanks for the info about lowe's, i may make a trip there later tonight.

and who is this purplepinzer kid?

Trail Leader
    how does the rust-oleum bedliner compare to say hurculiner?
    Check out my site
    [URL]http://www.detailtooil.com[/URL]

Finally at [COLOR=green]G[/COLOR][COLOR=green]reen[/COLOR][COLOR=sienna]wood[/COLOR] [COLOR=dimgray]Automotive[/COLOR][COLOR=royalblue]![/COLOR]
    [COLOR=royalblue][B]92 toyota 4x4[/B][/COLOR]
    single cab/short bed
    Chevy 4.3/700r4 swap
    Twinsticked RF1A topshift case
    Marlin 4in sas/lift
    4.88 gears front aussie rear tru-trac
    35x12.50 trxus m/ts on 15x8 cragar soft 8s
    ..and other beefy parts

[COLOR=sienna][B][U]72 buick skylark[/U][/B][/COLOR]
    back up and running, thanks dave(DMG)
    Th350
    built 8.5 "BOP" rear w/ 3.08 posi and rear discs
    front 2 pistion d52 wilwood AL calipers w/ d614 impala pads!

Rear suspension next!

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Did my frame with the Herculiner brush on, started coming off the first tiime I pressure washed it. Duplicolor brush on has been hanging on like a champ though. Haven't hit anything against it, but has stuck on after a couple shots with the high pressure.

Less posting, more wheeling!
    I've always heard herculiner is the way to go. I've sprayed quite a few things with the duplicolor crap and it flakes right off. I've tried different prep for each time ranging from sandblasted, primed, and bare steel and have not had any luck with it what so ever
    2007 Quad cab frontier LE
    1998 wrangler with pink wheel centers (hers)
    2004 trx450r stress reliever.

Trail Leader
    Quote Originally Posted by hardbodyty View Post
    and who is this purplepinzer kid?
    lol i hate you
    '72 steyr-puch pinzgauer 710m. factory selectable lockers front and rear, shift on the fly 4x4, 2 speed transfer case, 5 speed w/ granny gear. and its purple

Well its definitly not as rough as the hurculiner. I used that stuff on my bumpers, sliders, frame, bottom part of the body, and inside of my bed on my old truck. I prepped everything pretty well with a wire wheel or some 80 grit and it held up just fine for me, even with a pressure washer taken to it. To kind of compare the roughness of the two bedliners, herculiner is like say 20 grit sandpaper that can take off skin. This stuff is more like 220 grit, maybe finer... it could give ya a scrape or something, but its not going to send you to the hospital if you fall on ur knee inside of a bed coated in it.

The duplicolor isn't that bad, i just thought it was wayyy to smooth to be considered actual bedliner. It was more like rubbery rough finish paint, that worked fine for me on my wheels and side mirrors and stuff like that. It also was nice on the side of the truck because when you were washing it, you could take your sponge right over it. If ya did that with hurculiner, you would just tear up the sponge. But its whatever you like. I like this rustoleum shit a lot, so i'm probably going to use it a bit more.

Less posting, more wheeling! JeepSteeler's Avatar
    Yeah, the Duplicolor will definietly be easier to wash by hand than the Rusty. Smoother for sure, more like thick paint than textured bedliner. I wouldn't use Rusty on the outside of a body panel, too rough. The trailer is lucky to get pressure washed once a year, so the grit is a non factor. It will be interesting to see how well it holds up against chips and rust.

Both spray on pretty nice actually, and dry very quickly.

"Freedom is something that dies unless its used" -HST

Here is what my grill looks like

Thread Information