Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
OverDrive - YJ - Page 2
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: OverDrive - YJ

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Is that Clayton's kit (or parts)? Looks a whole lot like his stuff. Can't go wrong with the service or price.

Quote Originally Posted by Krod View Post
    Rear 4 link is coming together. I still need to tie the rear truss together and add the bracing to the center crossmembers, and A LOT of final welding...but its finally starting to look like a chassis.

Anyone want to bend some tube? I need coil-over hoops in the near future

Less posting, more wheeling! Krod's Avatar
    All of the links are fabbed with ballistic forged joints and a mix of brackets from them, dan @ ruffstuff, and my own.
    Women have clothes and shoes....we get welding and tools!....and the women!

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    All of the links are fabbed with ballistic forged joints and a mix of brackets from them, dan @ ruffstuff, and my own.
    Ah. You just don't see many people running square stuff, and the crossmember reminds me of his. I have Ballistic 2.63s on a UPS truck...somewhere. They're supposed to be delivered on Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by dan58 View Post
    Ah. You just don't see many people running square stuff, and the crossmember reminds me of his.
    I'll take that as a compliment! Clayton's kits are nice and a great value for strength vs. overall cost. The 2x2x0.25 wall square is OVERKILL to the max for uppers, but I only have to carry one spare this way. And the strength is there without the expense of DOM. If it were a racer, I can see why chromo or DOM would be the way to go.

I have Ballistic 2.63s on a UPS truck...somewhere. They're supposed to be delivered on Friday.
    We waited over a month for the orders from Ballistic for mine and Chris' rigs. Several calls, and finally a PM to their sales rep on Pirate got the shit on the truck. No big deal on my parts since this is a long project, but we were trying to get Chris' long arms built on a deadline, and a month is plenty of lead time to get some Joints and adapters out.

Its all quality parts through and through, but there is NO excuse for a company with such large growth to be lacking on things like shipping delays. Its called production management, and it seems they haven't learned the meaning of it.

As always, Dan (ruffstuff) got my shit here next day and correctly on the first call. I just wish they offered a larger line of brackets etc...

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    I've heard Ballistic was having trouble keeping up with demand. I ordered when they had the 15% off sale two weeks ago, and they shipped a week later. For some reason, they don't assemble them until they're ordered. Seems odd to me.......
    I will probably get my brackets from Poly Perf and RSS. I have RSS's diff covers and can't complain a bit about them. I couldn't damage my square Clayton LA on my TJ, but I'm going bling this time around. Branik sells the 2" 7075 already machined for less than I can buy it in 12' sticks. I'm planning FOA COs in the back too.

Smart phone, dumb Wrecker! Wrecker's Avatar
    I had that motor in the wifes old Park Ave. It was sweet. Nice and fast and godd mileage. The intake has a plastic nipple the will crack over time. It is for the heater hose. Help makes a metal one that is the exact replacement. You might want to do that now.
    Gotta be a special place in heaven for those girls who believe in making a lot of guys happy instead of making one miserable

Free Frank!

I couldn't damage my square Clayton LA on my TJ, but I'm going bling this time around. Branik sells the 2" 7075 already machined for less than I can buy it in 12' sticks. I'm planning FOA COs in the back too.
    Sweet.
    Branik's links are the definition of bling. And 7075 Al is going to be great on the rocks! Lots of give and plenty strong without the weight!!

I'm also doing the FOA CO's. probably 14"ers F/R. Let me know if you happen to get them before I do, since this will be my first setup and it never hurts to have someone who has set them up before for reference.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecker View Post
    I had that motor in the wifes old Park Ave. It was sweet. Nice and fast and godd mileage. The intake has a plastic nipple the will crack over time. It is for the heater hose. Help makes a metal one that is the exact replacement. You might want to do that now.
    Are you talking about the elbow under the blower that makes a 90 to the coolant manifold for the heater hoses? I'll have to check that out when I pull it apart this winter. Thanks for the heads-up!!

This one should be plenty fast. I've got some goodies coming that should bump me to ~ 350 hp/tq and MIGHT consider a medium shot of spray just for shits-n-giggles
    Last edited by Krod; 10-22-2009 at 01:02 PM.

Smart phone, dumb Wrecker! Wrecker's Avatar
    It was under the blower but it was a straight nipple. I cant remember what the hose looked like. But it was the 3/4 or 5/8 size bypass hose.
    Gotta be a special place in heaven for those girls who believe in making a lot of guys happy instead of making one miserable

Free Frank!

Less posting, more wheeling!
    Nice build!

Any plans for air bumps, limit straps and sway bars?
    [URL="http://www.pgh-offroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7670"][/URL]

Planning on center limit straps and timbrens on all 4 corners. Air bumps are probably worth it, but I'd like to finish this thing in time to wheel it before Obama makes us give up gasoline.

Premium Supporting Member OverkillZJ's Avatar
    I'd like to finish this thing in time to wheel it before Obama makes us give up gasoline.
    Quoted for funny truth!

hahahahahahah

Less posting, more wheeling! gonecheenin's Avatar
    I'd like to finish this thing in time to wheel it before Obama makes us give up gasoline.

(I'm awash with emotions )

I ordered some go-fast parts for the engine, and they showed up this week.

Intense Racing s1X Cam
    Manley Ti Retainers
    Crow Cams 105# valve springs
    Intense Racing 3.3" Charger Pulley
    ARP head studs
    JP Single roller timing set
    Various gaskets, breathers, etc for the rebuild
    Pacesetter Ceramic coated headers/Y-pipe (already on the engine for mockup)

HP-Tuners VCM suite so I can tune the L67 for those power adders

With all of these parts, I'm hoping to put together a reliable ~350 hp/tq injected engine. Add alchy injection, more boost, or nitrous and I'm sure I can get more into the 400's, but you start to take the reliability out of it (not good for wheeling, but damn fun on the street ) Stock bottom end on these engines are good for 600 hp/tq and have cross-bolted mains. Strong little bastards for a granny car engine!

And I finally made sense of the factory engine harness. What a mess, but it cleaned up nicely after I removed a ton of circuits and loom held together by the worlds strongest factory electrical tape known to man

For anyone looking, I was interested in the Painless power-braid loom, rather than the traditional black plastic corrugated loom shit. I found it through McMaster for less than you can get it under the "Power-Braid" label, and its exactly the same.

McMaster-Carr
    http://www.mcmaster.com/#1459t15/=4jsvz4

Painless "power-braid"

I did the entire harness using 1/4, 1/2, and 1" sections, using liquid and traditional electrical tape to seal it all up. I'll grab a pic of the completed harness asap.
    Last edited by Krod; 11-17-2009 at 10:51 PM.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    I'm also doing the FOA CO's. probably 14"ers F/R. Let me know if you happen to get them before I do, since this will be my first setup and it never hurts to have someone who has set them up before for reference.
    I forgot an update for you. I'll be picking up some 2.5" remote reservoir 12s for mine (scored a nice deal on used ones). I plan to run 200/300 front, 200/250 rear springs to start. 10" top, 14" bottom. Have you priced springs? OUCH. I'm also shooting for AS numbers in the 100 range. In talking with some old pros, the rear winch makes anyone's numbers look good though.

In looking at the rear of your frame, you'll need to either notch the frame or lop it off and tube it. Coilovers just don't fit if you don't, unfortunately. I like the Poly/Gen Right if you want to keep the frame. Mine is getting hacked off, then tubed. I have propane tanks in the rear, so I can't get as creative as I'd like to be.
    Last edited by dan58; 11-18-2009 at 09:59 AM.

Trail Leader
    Unbelievable! That is a sick build, someday when i grow up and get a real job i want to be able to do this. Many props to you, it is definetly sweet.

I forgot an update for you. I'll be picking up some 2.5" remote reservoir 12s for mine (scored a nice deal on used ones). I plan to run 200/300 front, 200/250 rear springs to start. 10" top, 14" bottom. Have you priced springs? OUCH. I'm also shooting for AS numbers in the 100 range. In talking with some old pros, the rear winch makes anyone's numbers look good though.

In looking at the rear of your frame, you'll need to either notch the frame or lop it off and tube it. Coilovers just don't fit if you don't, unfortunately. I like the Poly/Gen Right if you want to keep the frame. Mine is getting hacked off, then tubed. I have propane tanks in the rear, so I can't get as creative as I'd like to be.
    If you look carefully at the pic showing the chassis from the rear, you can see the back 1/4 of the chassis isn't stripped of the original coating. I'm still up in the air how I want to narrow it (or if I want to at all since its in such good shape).

I really like the fabbed rails (ie BTF and Sniper Fab), but refuse to pay that much for some plate with a few bends in it when I have a plasma and access to a brake. I have a few Ideas bouncing around my head, but I'm not able to do anything there until the weather breaks in the springtime...so i'm going to see where it leads once I have the body on the frame, and the coilovers in hand.

If anyone is reading this that has a bender, I still need some coil-over hoops bent up. Nothing crazy, just a few ~180* bends 1.75" OD toob. PM ME!!! I'd rather give my business to someone local rather than some company.

Quote Originally Posted by Dozer45 View Post
    Unbelievable! That is a sick build, someday when i grow up and get a real job i want to be able to do this. Many props to you, it is definetly sweet.
    Thanks bud. I'm taking my time to afford/fab the things I want with this build. I'm in no rush, and its feels nice to take your time on a project. Getting married this coming year, so the project will slow down as that approaches.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Don't be afraid to cut it. Performance first.

Miller talked me into this cut. Simple and effective.
    http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...ly+performance

Don't be afraid to cut it. Performance first.

Miller talked me into this cut. Simple and effective.
    http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...ly+performance

Hell yes! The Miller Motorsports YJ is a sweet rig.

I have no fear of cutting it, but I still have to retain a rear bumper (for driving on the roads). It will probably get cut and narrowed, but in a way I haven't seen done before on a Jeep. Lots of straight cuts I see look pretty hack, and although I personally think the round tubing looks better than rectangle, It won't work for me. As long as I get the clearance I need, and it looks like it belongs there, I'm happy.

Let me know when you get those FOA's. I'm waiting until I can see what clearance I'll have with the body on the frame before I make the decision on travel, but its looking like the 14" 2.0 body emulsions should fit.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    With your tools, just go 3/16" box. Run it right along the square part of the tub like the BTF (holy hell are they expensive for a box). There's just no way to fit even a 2" air shock in there because you need to angle them in to reduce body roll. With a 2.5" CO, I'm happy to leave some sheetmetal. I almost tubed out the whole rear end. It would have been easier and cheaper. I think a square tube back frame looks pretty good, and no one really sees it in all reality.
    Erik is a pretty cool dude. He's always willing to lend a hand or give out advice on what he's used. It's scary to think he had a JP Mag cover truck before he was 21. I don't think he's even 25 yet. His new Twisted truck is ungodly hot.

Did you buy an Atlas yet? What adapter are you using to mate an AW4 to the 3.8?

What adapter are you using to mate an AW4 to the 3.8?

If I remember correctly its a stock isuzu rodeo bellhousing.

BASTARD! lol

With your tools, just go 3/16" box. Run it right along the square part of the tub like the BTF (holy hell are they expensive for a box).
    My thoughts exactly. $600 for 8 feet of 3/16" plate with a few small angle bends in it is ridiculous. If it were more reasonable, I'd definitely go that route since it gives me everything I want and clearance to spare.

Did you buy an Atlas yet? What adapter are you using to mate an AW4 to the 3.8?
    Didn't buy the atlas yet, planning on the 4spd (suspension and crossmembers are built around its dimensions). With the wedding coming up I'm watching what I spend on the Jeep projects until after I'm hitched. I've got enough stuff to keep me busy on this thing until then.

The bellhousing is a factory Isuzu part. Because GM and Isuzu are in bed with each other, the 3.5L v6 in the late model rodeos shares the gm 60 deg pattern with the 3.1, 3.4, and 3.8L Chevy Engines (even though the 3.8L L67 is a 90 deg engine). AND because Aisin Warner made the trans for the rodeo (essentially an AW4), it all bolts together with only a few spacers for the torque converter. I have a PN if you need it. The AW4 has proven itself behind a few turbo 4.0L's and is a variant of the trans in the turbo supra (big power). Lots of good stuff in there, it just hates heat. Keep it cool and you've got a bulletproof trans.

I'm honestly surprised the XJ guys haven't caught on to the GM 3.8L family yet...

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Interesting swap. Who is making a manual control for the AW4? The guy on pbb (IIRC) is done with making them. I'm a fan of the 3.5 shortstar/904/D300. 904s were found behind the 2.8L in XJs, so they aren't all that common. The power/weight is amazing. I'm debating a Gen III/IV swap/Turbo350 for next year. The budget for this year....gone. lol

Interesting swap. Who is making a manual control for the AW4? The guy on pbb (IIRC) is done with making them. I'm a fan of the 3.5 shortstar/904/D300. 904s were found behind the 2.8L in XJs, so they aren't all that common. The power/weight is amazing. I'm debating a Gen III/IV swap/Turbo350 for next year. The budget for this year....gone. lol
    I'm making the manual control, but not like the tap-shift that Brett's controller was. This will be full manual with compression braking and manual TC lockup. All shifted through an Art-carr. But I'm not letting the details of that idea out of the bag until I prove it out myself.

There is a 700r4 from the 2.8L S-10's that also has the 60 deg pattern, if you can find one. The shortstar has the same patten (60 deg), so you have options other than the 904 if you want the caddy engine.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    I'm making the manual control, but not like the tap-shift that Brett's controller was. This will be full manual with compression braking and manual TC lockup. All shifted through an Art-carr. But I'm not letting the details of that idea out of the bag until I prove it out myself.

There is a 700r4 from the 2.8L S-10's that also has the 60 deg pattern, if you can find one. The shortstar has the same patten (60 deg), so you have options other than the 904 if you want the caddy engine.
    The 904 is the ticket....no adapters to run a D300. They hold up to 300hp pretty well. The shortstar 3.5 was out of the Aurora. The 4.6 is the granddaddy northstar. Woot.

Thread Information